Report: 'Horrendous' black-white gap ...

Report: 'Horrendous' black-white gap at Wayne State

There are 64 comments on the Detroit Free Press story from Oct 24, 2010, titled Report: 'Horrendous' black-white gap at Wayne State. In it, Detroit Free Press reports that:

Graduation rates overall show a need for improvement, but they're particularly dismal for some minority groups.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Detroit Free Press.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
9th Element

Netherlands

#69 Oct 28, 2010
boudicca wrote:
<quoted text>EXACTLY!!! I have seen a black girl literally run out of a public school system by the blacks because she was so academically successful. Her parents literally had to withdraw her from high school and send her to private school to keep her from being murdered. I have seen and experienced Black rejection because if you make good grades it means youre not proud to be black. It is easier to stand up to racism if it is coming from outside but when it is your OWN rejecting you as a member you can either accept the terms or walk away. That is why I say the African American educational problem is due to the African American community and not "whitey" or "post traumatic slavery stress disorder" or whatever that was about.
Well, one could claim that at root of this post traumatic slavery stress disorder is the lack of knowing of African history, other than the history for slavery, which is a parallel and reference only time for most, in what they know of. To most of the people you've described, they this common sense of African history.

Second we could ask ourselves, from where does this primary lack of education comes? After tens of years of misfitted teachings in history. Teaching white superiority and black inferiority. Is it whitey? So we first need to understand what happened during slavery, in order to understand certain behaviorism in this downstream. Usually traumatic experiences are being reduced by proper guidance and training. If this doesn't happen one could easily pass on his/ here experiences to the next generation. We can conclude that none of this ever occurred in AAM's when it comes the history of slavery.

But in order to rebut the psychologist his thesis, you first need to know and understand his claims. I've heard him talk, and his statements are well founded and grounded. There was a white psychologist who called in, and acknowledged his thesis as well.

9th Element

Netherlands

#70 Oct 28, 2010
Typo

Here = her experiences ....

Since: Oct 10

United States

#71 Oct 28, 2010
As a person suffering from post traumatic stress disorder I take GREAT exception to people using this as an excuse to just plain be sorry human beings. What an unknown slaveowner did 200 years ago to an ancestor I have no knowledge of did not affect who my child turned out to be. What I did or did not do, what I taught her, the examples I set, the tools I gave her to face the world as an adult, did. Johnny Whiteboy didn't raise my child. I did. Johnny Whiteboy didn't come into my home as a child and abuse me. My own mother and her men did. I am not letting her off the hook or them for what they did. I will not let myself off the hook for what I did. I take full responsibility for my actions or lack of actions. There may have been reasons, mostly ignorance on my part, but no excuses. And for anyone to use a legitimate and debilitating condition suffered by REAL people as an excuse to fail chaps me. Do you wake up in the night screaming because you are reliving "slavery"? Do you fail to fall asleep for days on end for fear of the dreams that will come of what happened to your "slave" ancestor? Does your heart pound out of your chest and you black out from fear when something or someone triggers a memory of what happened to your "slave" ancestor? Do you spend days sitting and staring into space as you are lost in the reliving of what happened to your "slave" ancestor? NO. PTSD is a REAL and debilitating condition. Do not insult me or the thousands and thousands like me who live with it on a daily basis.
george barnett

United States

#73 Oct 28, 2010
boudicca wrote:
As a person suffering from post traumatic stress disorder I take GREAT exception to people using this as an excuse to just plain be sorry human beings. What an unknown slaveowner did 200 years ago to an ancestor I have no knowledge of did not affect who my child turned out to be. What I did or did not do, what I taught her, the examples I set, the tools I gave her to face the world as an adult, did. Johnny Whiteboy didn't raise my child. I did. Johnny Whiteboy didn't come into my home as a child and abuse me. My own mother and her men did. I am not letting her off the hook or them for what they did. I will not let myself off the hook for what I did. I take full responsibility for my actions or lack of actions. There may have been reasons, mostly ignorance on my part, but no excuses. And for anyone to use a legitimate and debilitating condition suffered by REAL people as an excuse to fail chaps me. Do you wake up in the night screaming because you are reliving "slavery"? Do you fail to fall asleep for days on end for fear of the dreams that will come of what happened to your "slave" ancestor? Does your heart pound out of your chest and you black out from fear when something or someone triggers a memory of what happened to your "slave" ancestor? Do you spend days sitting and staring into space as you are lost in the reliving of what happened to your "slave" ancestor? NO. PTSD is a REAL and debilitating condition. Do not insult me or the thousands and thousands like me who live with it on a daily basis.
You may have post traumatic stress disorder,but the disorder doesn't define you.The character you show in overcoming disadvantages does.I give you my highest complement.You are interesting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wayne State University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Big Sean donates $25k to fight college homeless... Jun '16 bozo 1
News Nearly $1 billion generated in Detroit by Michi... Jun '16 Surhan 2
News Detroit gets its first Women in Hip-Hop concert... May '16 Pop the Weasel 1
News Wayne State gets grant to prepare math teachers... (Nov '15) Nov '15 Friends Project 1
News You May Not Know These Black Millennials, But T... (Sep '15) Sep '15 2:28 pm 1
News Gentrification means - forced relocation' of Bl... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Oh No You Di-nt 3
News Why Some Detroit Residents Claim To Live Somepl... (May '15) May '15 reality is a crutch 3
More from around the web