Mom sues over boy's death after dental procedure

May 18, 2011 Full story: Richmond Times-Dispatch 16

The mother of a 6-year-old boy who died after he underwent anesthesia for dental treatment at Virginia Commonwealth University Pediatric Dental Clinic has filed a $5 million wrongful-death lawsuit against the practice and those who performed the procedure.

Full Story
ARMY01

Richmond, VA

#1 May 18, 2011
This is why healthcare costs are skyrocketing in the U.S.
really

Petersburg, VA

#2 May 18, 2011
ARMY01 wrote:
This is why healthcare costs are skyrocketing in the U.S.
That's like blaming the costs of your insurance on someone else's accidents..

"Medical malpractice or mishap insurance" say it slowly.

Since: May 10

Rooted in Reality

#3 May 19, 2011
Sure was sorry about the little boy but I guess they can give the mother her money back. There is risk to everything and The ME classified the death as natural.

“68 65 6c 6c 6f”

Since: Mar 11

Providence Forge, VA

#4 May 19, 2011
really wrote:
<quoted text> That's like blaming the costs of your insurance on someone else's accidents..
"Medical malpractice or mishap insurance" say it slowly.
Actually blaming the cost of your car insurance to another personís accidents would be correct. An insurance actuary looks at several factors such as accidents, age and numerous other statistics to come up with your insurance premium pricing.

Since: May 11

United States

#5 May 20, 2011
really wrote:
<quoted text> That's like blaming the costs of your insurance on someone else's accidents..
"Medical malpractice or mishap insurance" say it slowly.
Medical error repeats by PROBATIONER DENTISTS who are on probation for repeated gross negligent conduct...insurance or no insurance increased risk exists at the place of treatment that Probationer Dentists are practicing at. PROBATIONER DENTISTS OFTEN DON'T HAVE MALPRACTICE INSURANCE AND THE VICTIM ISN'T INFORMED BEFORE TREATMENT AT THE PLACE OF TREATMENT.

Since: May 11

United States

#6 May 20, 2011
greg in central va wrote:
Sure was sorry about the little boy but I guess they can give the mother her money back. There is risk to everything and The ME classified the death as natural.
No amount of "refund" will resolve this "mistake". As a victim of irreparable damage caused by a PROBATIONER DENTIST that never informed me all the years I was loyal to him, the refund PROBATIONER DENTISTS attempt to "shut you up" with doesn't heal the patient investing in oral health care or justify the deceptive practices. The insurance companies contacting me now are completely surprised to learn that there are any PROBATIONER DENTISTS in their network because they too are not informed immediately when a dentist's patient has filed a formal complaint...they dentist continues to practice without any notice for consumers at the place of treatment. The Dental Board refuses to inform patients at the place of treatment which dentists are on probation for harming others.

Since: Jul 10

Richmond, VA

#7 May 20, 2011
REFUND??? How about call it what is was. FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE You are SUE happy and ungreatful as they come. The truth is

http://www.dentistry.vcu.edu/pedsdent/adved/D...

Their website in big bold letters says it's a residency program.

Get a life and stop playing victim!!!!

Don't comment back or I will SUE.

Since: May 11

United States

#8 May 20, 2011
There is no FREE treatment - the patient has to contribute the most integral part of the anatomy and trust their last set of teeth with dentists who collect money to gain in their profession. Whether its a clinic or residency program if the price the patient pays is chronic pain, suffering, irreparable and irreversible damage that requires a life time of treatment to repair the patient PAID dearly. Patient death or irreparable damage by anyone investing in dental services due to negligence is hardly ever going to be offset or justified because their treatment was FREE.

Since: May 10

Rooted in Reality

#9 May 20, 2011
Sammy- wrote:
REFUND??? How about call it what is was. FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE FREE You are SUE happy and ungreatful as they come. The truth is
http://www.dentistry.vcu.edu/pedsdent/adved/D...
Their website in big bold letters says it's a residency program.
Get a life and stop playing victim!!!!
Don't comment back or I will SUE.
That was my whole point Sammy. FREE..FREE....FREE........That 's all these welfare queens know. I suppose I was being a bit facetious with the "refund" thing lol.

Since: Jul 10

Richmond, VA

#10 May 20, 2011
greg in central va wrote:
<quoted text>
That was my whole point Sammy. FREE..FREE....FREE........That 's all these welfare queens know. I suppose I was being a bit facetious with the "refund" thing lol.
No Greg, I was replying to the lady above who used the word refund when it was a free service. It is a tragedy the little boy died but the truth is the anethesia used during the procedure has a 1 in 100000 chance of a reaction. The reaction happened and thats a shame. All kinds of wavers and disclaimers were given and signed.

This yuck mouth lady from California has no clue what she is even talking about. Put the website up for her and she still tries to relate it to some circumstance that happened to her. DRAMA!!

Since: May 10

Rooted in Reality

#11 May 20, 2011
I hear ya bro....Think her name is GNOMES lol.
Slurpee Summit

Petersburg, VA

#12 May 20, 2011
greg in central va wrote:
<quoted text>
That was my whole point Sammy. FREE..FREE....FREE........That 's all these welfare queens know. I suppose I was being a bit facetious with the "refund" thing lol.
They must have omitted the "free" from their website.

And when does doing something for someone for free excuse you of your responsibility. If you had an ounce of cocaine and gave it away; you'd still be guilty of distribution.

Greg and Sammy, you have the right to display your extent of supidity but what else can we expect from two obviously miserable, poor and worthless pieces of excrement. Sammy, state the golf course that you would like to meet on, I will gladly match your entire life's earnings in a game of chance. Front 9, Back 9 or a single hole.
Slurpee Summit

Petersburg, VA

#13 May 20, 2011
Sammy- wrote:
<quoted text>
No Greg, I was replying to the lady above who used the word refund when it was a free service. It is a tragedy the little boy died but the truth is the anethesia used during the procedure has a 1 in 100000 chance of a reaction. The reaction happened and thats a shame. All kinds of wavers and disclaimers were given and signed.
This yuck mouth lady from California has no clue what she is even talking about. Put the website up for her and she still tries to relate it to some circumstance that happened to her. DRAMA!!
waivers and disclaimers? You sure do know how to make crap up. If that were the case, there would never be a lawsuit connected to any procedure. Surely, the courts would have thrown it out, on the basis of frivolous or without merits.

You can really tell, when you're dealing with people that have never had a lawyer on speed-dial....they're always thinking that they know something.
Michelle

Palm Bay, FL

#14 May 21, 2011
Tina Gomes wrote:
There is no FREE treatment - the patient has to contribute the most integral part of the anatomy and trust their last set of teeth with dentists who collect money to gain in their profession. Whether its a clinic or residency program if the price the patient pays is chronic pain, suffering, irreparable and irreversible damage that requires a life time of treatment to repair the patient PAID dearly. Patient death or irreparable damage by anyone investing in dental services due to negligence is hardly ever going to be offset or justified because their treatment was FREE.
I have to disagree... Dentistry is the only profession where we try to put ourselves out of business!!! We tell you to brush 2-3 times a day, floss atleast 1 time per day, stay away from sugary and hard foods and drink lots of water... if you followed our sugestions then you wouldn't need all the dental treatment that you do. Yes, maybe a minor filling her and there... but the fact remains that this child needed caps/crowns due to decay, why isn't the mom being investigated by DCF for negligence on her son in the first place??? Im empathetic that she has lost her child, no mom deserves to bury her children! At the same time, if she would have brushed his teeth to begin with, then he wouldn't have needed the dental work at all! Period!

Since: May 10

Rooted in Reality

#15 May 21, 2011
Very true Michelle, after all, it's not she doesn't receive FREE dental hygene supplies. I just hope the state doesn't cave to this greedy woman.
Charlottetean

Mount Holly, NC

#16 May 21, 2011
ARMY01 wrote:
This is why healthcare costs are skyrocketing in the U.S.
Cause they kill people????? They are skyrocketing cause they don't want to pay and want to walk off with the profits. Doesn't matter what happens you use your healthcare and they lose you. That healthcare your paying for..don't get sick and end up in the hospital cause they will not keep you and turn you over to another insurer who does not pay as much for you care. If you get insurance through your work do you really think your company is going to pay higher for you??? No way. Insurance companies only keep you if you do not get sick with anything major that is going to cost them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Virginia Commonwealth University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How pornography influences and harms sexual beh... Jan '15 Aiesha 1
Scores of protests over Ferguson case planned Nov '14 George Vreeland Hill 1
Engineering student wins May Queen Ball contest (May '09) Aug '14 for news 3
Conflict trumps compromise in Virginia's Medica... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Jorja Fox 1
Student achievements (Dec '13) Dec '13 The Iron Dicktaror 4
Helping Students With Autism Land Jobs (Oct '13) Oct '13 Starts With Vaccines 3
VCU to memorialize remains used by med students (Sep '13) Sep '13 JustdroppedIN 1
More from around the web