Illegal immigration: Can states win fight against 'birthright citizenship'?

As Arizona's controversial illegal immigration law remains stuck in legal limbo, a group of lawmakers from five states has pledged to launch another offensive against illegal immigration that, legal experts say, could run afoul of the Constitution.Earlier this week, state legislators from Arizona, Georgia, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, and South Carolina ... Full Story
AmberDru

Columbus, OH

#1 Jan 7, 2011
The U.S. and Canada are the only developed nations that still have birth right citizenship. Rewarding people for breaking the law is stupid.

I married a legal immigrant and am the descendant of slaves, the people the 14 amendment was intended to protect. My family does those low paid, no benefit jobs; we directly compete with illegal aliens.

The supreme court has never ruled on what "under the jurisdiction" actually means. The children of foreign diplomats are not U.S.citizens-why should those of illegal aliens be?

Who know if the children born of Russian spies are now citizens.

The law needs to be changed,which can probably be done without repealing the 14th amendment.

http://www.numbersusa.com/content/nusablog/be ...

CHANGING THE LAW AND NOT THE CONSTITUTION

H.R. 1868 by Rep. Gary Miller of California would merely change the federal law (passed by Congress) that currently requires giving U.S. citizenship to these babies.

We and many Constitutional scholars do not believe a Constitutional Amendment is required. But we also know that as soon as H.R. 1868 is passed there will be suits taking it to the Supreme Court. We believe the Supremes are likely to agree with us that H.R. 1868 does not violate any part of the Constitution.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Villanova University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
rally for Michael Brown Ferguson Sunday Aug '14 Whitey 7
From peyote to sex: Religious liberty fight recast Aug '14 Faith Hits the Fa... 5
Considering online education? Jun '14 DWL 1
An Immigrant's Perspective (Apr '14) May '14 BigRabbit 5
Montco public defenders push expungement of juv... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Expunger 2
Manny Alam wins Presidency of Pakistani America... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Justice fralll 2
KHRO 1150 AM radio host joins race for El Paso ... (Jan '13) Apr '13 screech kaplowitz 7

Villanova University People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE