Evolution law may change nothing

Apr 15, 2012 Full story: The Tennessean 49

Bill Campbell of Old Hickory and others protest the new evolution law, which allows classroom discussions analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of existing scientific theories.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Iquique

#1 Apr 17, 2012
But there are NO strengths of creationism or Intelligent Design...they are known lies.

How can you allow discussion of purely mythical Lies/crap in a high school science classroom? That is falsely giving credence to untruths

Actually I thought it was against federal laws

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#2 Apr 18, 2012
And the law makes no mention of Intelligent Design or Creationism. It only requires teaching critical thinking, what's the problem with that?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#3 Apr 18, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
And the law makes no mention of Intelligent Design or Creationism. It only requires teaching critical thinking, what's the problem with that?
The law states evolution is scientifically controversial. The law lies. The law is based on material written by Intelligent Design central, the Discovery Institute, and could enable creationist teachers to get away with teaching pseudoscience until someone takes the idiots to court. Other than that, having a law stating science classes should teach critical thinking and the scientific method is as superfluous as having a law that says students must learn the English alphabet in English class.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#4 Apr 18, 2012
thewordofme wrote:
But there are NO strengths of creationism or Intelligent Design...they are known lies.
How can you allow discussion of purely mythical Lies/crap in a high school science classroom? That is falsely giving credence to untruths
Actually I thought it was against federal laws
It is against the law. However Brian thinks it's a better idea to risk potential lawsuits that could cost local schoolboards millions.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#5 Apr 18, 2012
“… I would love to come down and do Dover II.”

Wait for it...

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#6 Apr 18, 2012
Gillette

Fairfield, IA

#7 Apr 18, 2012
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...

Quote

Anthropologist Mike Kohut received $212,975 in National Science Foundation grants for his three-year study of how evolution is taught in Tennessee classrooms.

He interviewed 300 students and 20 teachers in Nashville and two counties he promised anonymity — one in rural Middle Tennessee and one in East Tennessee.

In the course of interviews for his dissertation and the preliminary work that preceded it, one director of schools admitted he knew teachers taught creationism in the classroom. A teacher said he was offended he is forced to teach evolution. A science coordinator said teaching evolution was a good way to get fired in her district.

“In that context, when you look at this new law, if you do want to teach evolution and they fire you, you could sue under the law,” Kohut said.

Based on his research, he said, it’s more likely teachers who wish to introduce intelligent design would understand the law as a way to do that. He will present the findings in his dissertation later this year.

end quote

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#8 Apr 18, 2012
The Dude wrote:
The law states evolution is scientifically controversial. The law lies...
You are mistaken (or you are the liar), because the law clearly states teaching evolution or human cloning can cause controversy. The law doesn't say anywhere, "evolution is scientifically controversial".

I think the problem is the Left's fear that our neighbors in Tennessee are religious. I don't see that as a negative, I'm proud of the people of Tennessee.
The Dude

Ellesmere Port, UK

#9 Apr 18, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>You are mistaken (or you are the liar), because the law clearly states teaching evolution or human cloning can cause controversy. The law doesn't say anywhere, "evolution is scientifically controversial".
But the law is specifically supposed to be about critical thinking towards scientific concepts. So there is no point in mentioning evolution if it's not scientifically controversial. This means the law is either poorly written, or you're lying about it.

But hey, we already know you're a liar anyway and we know it's the fundies pushing for this sh t, so...(shrug)
Brian_G wrote:
I think the problem is the Left's fear that our neighbors in Tennessee are religious. I don't see that as a negative, I'm proud of the people of Tennessee.
Oh, you mean it's just all them mean old ATHEISTS???

Way to shoot yourself in the foot, Bri. Carry on.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Apr 18, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>You are mistaken (or you are the liar), because the law clearly states teaching evolution or human cloning can cause controversy. The law doesn't say anywhere, "evolution is scientifically controversial".
Read it again, Bucko:

"(c) The state board of education, public elementary and secondary school governing authorities, directors of schools, school system administrators, and public elementary and secondary school principals and administrators shall endeavor to assist teachers to find effective ways to present the science curriculum as it addresses SCIENTIFIC CONTROVERSIES."

ToE is NOT scientifically controversial! And it WAS mentioned in the bill.

You display the exact ditto-head thinking they're counting on. The rest of us aren't so damn dumb.
Brian_G wrote:
I think the problem is the Left's fear that our neighbors in Tennessee are religious. I don't see that as a negative, I'm proud of the people of Tennessee.
I am the Right, dumbass! And you clowns are giving the rest of us a bad name.
The Dude

Ellesmere Port, UK

#11 Apr 18, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Read it again, Bucko:
"(c) The state board of education, public elementary and secondary school governing authorities, directors of schools, school system administrators, and public elementary and secondary school principals and administrators shall endeavor to assist teachers to find effective ways to present the science curriculum as it addresses SCIENTIFIC CONTROVERSIES."
ToE is NOT scientifically controversial! And it WAS mentioned in the bill.
You display the exact ditto-head thinking they're counting on. The rest of us aren't so damn dumb.
Oh he is dumb, but for different reasons. Brian is very selective when avoiding people's posts and points. He knows he's being dishonest. He's just dumb enough to think it's worth ruining kids education for the sake of getting the fringe looney-right in power so they can promote their particular brand of bigotry.
LowellGuy

Astoria, NY

#12 Apr 19, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>You are mistaken (or you are the liar), because the law clearly states teaching evolution or human cloning can cause controversy. The law doesn't say anywhere, "evolution is scientifically controversial".
I think the problem is the Left's fear that our neighbors in Tennessee are religious. I don't see that as a negative, I'm proud of the people of Tennessee.
It only causes controversy withscientifically ignorant morons and liars. Which of those two groups should be given equal billing with established science?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#13 Apr 20, 2012
All the insults come from the left, see post above for proof.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#14 Apr 20, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
All the insults come from the left, see post above for proof.
Aw, boo hoo, hypocrite.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#15 Apr 20, 2012
I've never called my political opponents, "ignorant morons and liars" while the left does this all the time.

There's nothing wrong with critical thinking in the classroom, scientific theories shouldn't be taken on faith.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#16 Apr 20, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
I've never called my political opponents, "ignorant morons and liars"
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/evolution/TJ3...
Brian_G wrote:
while the left does this all the time.
We also back ourselves up all the time. That's your problem. Hence they aren't mere baseless ad-homs on our part.
Brian_G wrote:
There's nothing wrong with critical thinking in the classroom
Not at all, in fact we've supported that from the start. Nothing wrong with critical thinking applied beyond the classroom either, where again you run into problems.
Brian_G wrote:
scientific theories shouldn't be taken on faith.
So we should teach students critical thinking and the scientific method, and give them the knowledge required to progress their scientific education so that one day they might become qualified scientists and test those scientific theories.

Or alternatively we should have schoolkids repeat each and every scientific experiment ever done throughout history that led to our currently accepted scientific theories just to make sure that nothing at all is being taken on faith.
Joshua

Raleigh, NC

#17 Apr 24, 2012
Or maybe just maybe or school kids would repeat the experements and see how flawed the darwinien way of thinking is.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Indianapolis, IN

#18 Apr 24, 2012
Joshua wrote:
Or maybe just maybe or school kids would repeat the experements and see how flawed the darwinien way of thinking is.
And what experiment would that be, Einstein?
LowellGuy

Salem, MA

#19 Apr 24, 2012
Joshua wrote:
Or maybe just maybe or school kids would repeat the experements and see how flawed the darwinien way of thinking is.
Based on your mastery of the English language, do you think you got an excellent, adequate, or poor education? Do you think your level of scientific knowledge is excellent, adequate, or poor?
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#20 Apr 25, 2012
Joshua wrote:
Or maybe just maybe or school kids would repeat the experements and see how flawed the darwinien way of thinking is.
I am particularly interested to hear an example of how school students could go about doing this. Please elaborate.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vanderbilt University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ky. Survivor: 'Are My Dad and I The Only Ones L... Sep 6 whatthewhat 4
Adding therapy to meds may speed depression rec... Aug '14 robina 2
Eight-year-old saves mother's life with 911 call Aug '14 sheila ONeal 1
Man charged in alleged phone theft Aug '14 David s 8
Johns Hopkins Psychiatrist: Transgender is a - ... Aug '14 Francis 2
Vandy student vies for 'King of the Nerds' on TBS (Feb '13) Jul '14 Amy 4
Auto worker union scores a win in the South Jul '14 cancer suxs 27

Vanderbilt University People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE