Greenhouse gases 'warmed Earth billio...

Greenhouse gases 'warmed Earth billions of years ago'

There are 15 comments on the Earth Times story from Mar 28, 2012, titled Greenhouse gases 'warmed Earth billions of years ago'. In it, Earth Times reports that:

Greenhouses gases are not only a modern phenomenon, they originally warmed temperatures around three billion years ago, say American scientists.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Earth Times.

LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#1 Mar 29, 2012
Greenhouse gasses have been here most of the time. Only in the year leading to the 'snowball earth' did they pretty much disappear.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#2 Mar 29, 2012
green house gasses did in fact exist for a long while..though due to fuels and gases from our not too eco friendly cars and factories,the gasses have come back stronger than then.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#3 Mar 29, 2012
NobodyYouEverWantToKnow, alias:
LessFactMoreHype wrote:
Greenhouse gasses have been here most of the time.
Gases, Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#6 Jan 6, 2015
Earthling-1 wrote:
NobodyYouEverWantToKnow, alias:
<quoted text>Gases, Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty.
I see that you are an expert on gas also, old geezer.
IB DaMann

Arlington, VA

#7 Jan 6, 2015
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
Greenhouse gasses have been here most of the time. Only in the year leading to the 'snowball earth' did they pretty much disappear.
What are the defining chracteristics of a "greenhouse gas"?
IB DaMann

Arlington, VA

#8 Jan 6, 2015
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you are our expert on "greehouse gases". You are our "go to" guy when we have questions about "greenhouse gases".

What are the defining characteristics of a "greenhouse gas"?
One way or another

United States

#9 Jan 6, 2015
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
If snowball earth made the greenhouse gases disappear, why didn't snowball earth make oxygen disappear? Oxygen is a gas.
IB DaMann

Arlington, VA

#10 Jan 6, 2015
One way or another wrote:
If snowball earth made the greenhouse gases disappear, why didn't snowball earth make oxygen disappear? Oxygen is a gas.
Great question! I'd like to reiterate my own question on this point: What are the defining physical characteristics of "greenhouse gases" that differentiate them from "non-greenhouse gases"?

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#11 Jan 6, 2015
IB DaMann wrote:
Great question! I'd like to reiterate my own question on this point: What are the defining physical characteristics of "greenhouse gases" that differentiate them from "non-greenhouse gases"?
Non greenhouses are the atmospheric gases that interact only with direct sun light.
Greenhouse gases interact with direct sun light and Earth surface IR re-emissions.

#12 Jan 6, 2015
Bozo wrote:
You really should check the age of posts you respond to, you old duffer.
IBdaMann

Burke, VA

#13 Jan 6, 2015
DonPanic wrote:
Non greenhouses are the atmospheric gases that interact only with direct sun light.
Greenhouse gases interact with direct sun light and Earth surface IR re-emissions.
What do you mean by "interact"? What are "re-emissions" vs. regular emissions? Why are these special?

#14 Jan 7, 2015
IBdaMann wrote:
What do you mean by "interact"? What are "re-emissions" vs. regular emissions? Why are these special?
Excoose his Engrish, it no velly good.
Too Cool

Arlington Heights, IL

#15 Jan 7, 2015
Somebody send some greenhouse gases my way. It might get our temperatures above zero before April.

Since: Dec 06

Charlie's

#16 Jan 8, 2015
IBdaMann wrote:
What do you mean by "interact"?
Cambridge Dictionnary:
in&#8231;ter&#8231;act [intransitive]
1 if people interact with each other, they talk to each other, work together etc
interact with
Lucy interacts well with other children in the class.

2 if one thing interacts with another, or if they interact, they affect each other
interact with
The immune system interacts with both the nervous system and the hormones.
We are studying how these two chemicals interact.
IBdaMann wrote:
What are "re-emissions" vs. regular emissions? Why are these special?
"regular"emission is when an object emits light because of its temperature.
re-emission is the feed-back light emission rise of an object submitted to extra light warming it.
Because of the range of Earth's surface temperatures, this surface re-emits the surface sunlight warming mainly in infra-red light.
IB DaMann

Arlington, VA

#17 Jan 8, 2015
DonPanic wrote:
Cambridge Dictionnary:[/QOTE]
I asked you what YOU mean y YOUR usae of "interact" Are you saying that surface infrared interacts with "greenhose gases"in the same mannr that Lucy interacts with children?

[QUOTE who="DonPanic"] "regular"emission is when an object emits light because of its temperature.
No atmospheric gases emit light because of their temperature. Am I to assume that no atmospheric gases have regular emissions? I will presume you meant electromagnetic radiation from thermal energy.
DonPanic wrote:
re-emission is the feed-back light emission rise of an object submitted to extra light warming it.
This becomes the same a regular emissions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Washington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Blob of warm Pacific water threatens ecosystem,... Apr '15 H20 the new Oil 1
News Jenny McCarthy: New Study Shows No Link Between... Apr '15 VACCINES CAUSE AU... 1
News Blob to blame for weird winter weather, scienti... Apr '15 DILF 7
News Bubbles from glacier ice turn up the noise in A... Mar '15 Hal 1
News A Half-Century of Conflict Over Attempts to 'Cu... Feb '15 cpeter1313 21
News UW Provost Ana Mari Cauce will be interim presi... Feb '15 Leonardo 1
News Doctors' assumptions on sex heighten lesbians' ... Feb '15 NOM s Waffle House 14
More from around the web