Epic March heat wave in Midwest, Great Lakes and Northeast: link to global warming?

Mar 22, 2012 Full story: The Washington Post 18

Bottom: Satellite image showing low pressure over Midwest to eventually kick heat dome out.

Full Story
NobodyYouKnow

Toronto, Canada

#1 Mar 24, 2012
The problem is that AGW *is* a factor today. Regardless of what or how much it contributes to specific events. It is the OVERALL impact on weather that is important.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#2 Mar 24, 2012
LessFactMoreHype, alias:
NobodyYouEverWantToKnow wrote:
The problem is that AGW *is* a factor today.
AGW is definitely a "factor," but how much of a "problem" is it, exactly?
NoFactAllHype wrote:
Regardless of what or how much it contributes to specific events.
You cannot disregard "how much it contributes to specific events."
NoFactAllHype wrote:
It is the OVERALL impact on weather that is important.
So what is "the OVERALL impact on weather, Mr Thermal Pollutant?
-
Bafflegab definition:
Meaningless words written in a complicated fashion to baffle the reader.
Definition for bafflegab:
Web definitions:
Bafflegab [baf-uhl-gab] is a slang term referring to confusing or generally unintelligible jargon.(See Gobbledygook)..
Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

#3 Mar 24, 2012
This is what February 2012 looked like in comparison to the 1881 to 2012 record..26*C over the average.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gistemp/do_...

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gistemp/do_...

Since: Apr 10

Milwaukee, WI USA

#4 Mar 24, 2012
NobodyYouKnow wrote:
The problem is that AGW *is* a factor today.
You guys keep on telling me it's a problem when clearly it is not. The weather here in Eastern Wisconsin - USA the past couple of weeks has been postively grand.

As you know I like to list the advantages of warmer weather. It's true, warmer weather is better weather. You should tell Al Gore and the others to go fly a kite.
NobodyYouKnow wrote:
Regardless of what or how much it contributes to specific events.
Do you ever think about what you write? If AGW doesn't contribute anything it wouldn't be a factor now would it?
NobodyYouKnow wrote:
It is the OVERALL impact on weather that is important.
And overall, warmer weather is better weather.
NobodyYouKnow

Toronto, Canada

#6 Mar 24, 2012
Steve Case wrote:
<quoted text>
You guys keep on telling me it's a problem when clearly it is not. The weather here in Eastern Wisconsin - USA the past couple of weeks has been postively grand.
You make me wonder if the Neanderthal is as extinct as assumed.

The one thing that Cro-Magnon had over Neanderthal was 'time binding'. The ability to foresee opportunity and penalties outside of the 'now' moment. Neanderthal did well when it was presented with a steady supply of food for which they need do nothing but gather. The Cro-Magnon that replaced them could see opportunity in periodic resources such as game migrations and fish spawning's and risks such as natural disasters and move in anticipation of these.

Now you say that you had a summer day in a spring 'heat wave', and cannot see that this may lead to issues when summer heat waves occur??

Are you SURE you parents were human?

Since: Apr 10

Milwaukee, WI USA

#8 Mar 24, 2012
NobodyYouKnow wrote:
<quoted text>
You make me wonder if the Neanderthal is as extinct as assumed.
The one thing that Cro-Magnon had over Neanderthal was 'time binding'. The ability to foresee opportunity and penalties outside of the 'now' moment. Neanderthal did well when it was presented with a steady supply of food for which they need do nothing but gather. The Cro-Magnon that replaced them could see opportunity in periodic resources such as game migrations and fish spawning's and risks such as natural disasters and move in anticipation of these.
Now you say that you had a summer day in a spring 'heat wave', and cannot see that this may lead to issues when summer heat waves occur??
Are you SURE you parents were human?
Your models I'm told don't predict for the short term and so you don't know what the summer is going to bring. And I'm telling you that your models are wrong in the long term. Besides your argument seems to be reduced to insults and name calling.
litesong

Everett, WA

#9 Mar 24, 2012
NobodyYouKnow wrote:
You(said of steve's case of the itch) make me wonder if the Neanderthal is as extinct as assumed.
"NobodyYouKnow"..... . I disagree with you. As 'brainless_g','earthling has no brain' & 'steve's case of the itch' have all amply demonstrated, a brain is NOT necessary for actual existence to occur, excluding the Neanderthal for comparative solutions.

“Denying those who deny nature”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#10 Mar 25, 2012
NobodyYouKnow wrote:
The problem is that AGW *is* a factor today. Regardless of what or how much it contributes to specific events. It is the OVERALL impact on weather that is important.
The fact is that AGW cannot have an impact since is was never real in the first place. AGW had a major flaw in that it ignored the fact that the climate had always been in a state of change. That the climate had been warming for over ten thousand years.

Facts being facts and the fact is that man has had little effect on climate.
NobodyYouKnow

Toronto, Canada

#11 Mar 25, 2012
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
"NobodyYouKnow"..... . I disagree with you. As 'brainless_g','earthling has no brain' & 'steve's case of the itch' have all amply demonstrated, a brain is NOT necessary for actual existence to occur, excluding the Neanderthal for comparative solutions.
I am firmly of the opinion (based on the evidence) that Cro-Magnon interbred with Neanderthal to obtain the genetic adaptations such as pale skin, heavy build, large nose, etc that allowed success in the Northern and Western European climate. This heritage obviously benefited from the Cro-Magnon development of time binding. And the lack of adaptatability led to the end of Neanderthal as a separate species.

It is also obvious that some posters are throwbacks. At least in their mental processes. I propose this seriously. It is obvious to anyone with a Cro-Magnon inheritance that such astoundingly extreme heat waves in March will be just the foretaste of record breaking heat waves in July or August as well. Records are being broken for heat while cold records are falling silent. This is NOT random acts of nature,but a warning that can be heeded by those who understand consequences and opportunity.
NobodyYouKnow

Toronto, Canada

#12 Mar 25, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact is that AGW cannot have an impact since is was never real in the first place.
FF and BG etc may have the excuse of genetic defects, but you are just ignorant. The evidence of AGW is overwhelming and well documented by science.
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
AGW had a major flaw in that it ignored the fact that the climate had always been in a state of change.
This example of a 'non-sequitur' logic is pathetic coming from even an average intelligence.

i.e. rain has always fallen. Ergo floods do not exist.

The 'does not follow' comes from the fact that the existence of change does NOT oppose that things will change MORE.
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
That the climate had been warming for over ten thousand years.
This example of a 'non-sequitur' logic is pathetic coming from even an average intelligence.

And it is false in it's premise as well.

While there was a sharp rise from ice ages conditions, as with every other interglacial, after the initial spike, the climate was cooling again.
http://globalwarmingart.com/wiki/File:Holocen...
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Facts being facts and the fact is that man has had little effect on climate.
HAD little effect on climate. Some effect over the last millenia or so from land clearing. And emissions from industry have made a significant spike in temperatures, totally without precedent in the last two million years. Almost nobody denies that AGW has caused a 0.8C warming of the planet over the last century and that is a VERY large 'effect' to the climate and from which climate change will occur. The ice ages were changes on a similar scale. It is NOT trivial and the warming is continuing with NO endpoint in sight.

Other than stupid claims with no foundation, what do you post here? Nothing useful or even related to the issue.

Norfolk va

#13 Mar 25, 2012
NobodyYouKnow wrote:
<quoted text>
FF and BG etc may have the excuse of genetic defects, but you are just ignorant. The evidence of AGW is overwhelming and well documented by science.
<quoted text>
i.e. rain has always fallen. Ergo floods do not exist.
The 'does not follow' comes from the fact that the existence of change does NOT oppose that things will change MORE.
<quoted text>
And it is false in it's premise as well.
While there was a sharp rise from ice ages conditions, as with every other interglacial, after the initial spike, the climate was cooling again.
http://globalwarmingart.com/wiki/File:Holocen...
<quoted text>
HAD little effect on climate. Some effect over the last millenia or so from land clearing. And emissions from industry have made a significant spike in temperatures, totally without precedent in the last two million years. Almost nobody denies that AGW has caused a 0.8C warming of the planet over the last century and that is a VERY large 'effect' to the climate and from which climate change will occur. The ice ages were changes on a similar scale. It is NOT trivial and the warming is continuing with NO endpoint in sight.
Other than stupid claims with no foundation, what do you post here? Nothing useful or even related to the issue.
The evidence that AGW was wrong is even more compelling. Now there are over a thousand peer reviewed studies that have completely debunk AGW and others have discovered that the supposed studies that were the evidence that it was true have turned out to either be works of fiction or have serious flaws.

Even your claim that almost nobody denies is a falsehood. Many have not only claimed that it is not true. That the change in temperatures is a natural one. The only people who attribute the 0.8C to AGW are only able to do so when they deny natural climate change.

With your pathetic logic is that every time it rains it floods. That because of that everyone should worry every time it rains that it will flood. Even in a drought that rain would cause a flood.

The first flaw in your reasoning is that AGW is still real. It has been proven by climate scientist that it is not. That it is a failed theory. Completely disproven and busted. Which is what you are denying. It is ironic when you call others deniers when you are in denial as well.
NobodyYouKnow

Toronto, Canada

#14 Mar 25, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
The evidence that AGW was wrong is even more compelling. Now there are over a thousand peer reviewed studies
There are many tens of thousands of studies and so far you have not given reference to even ONE published in a reasonable respected journal.
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
that have completely debunk AGW ..
No study 'completely debunks' anything. Science doesn't work that way, but they you have no connection or comprehension to science. Your 'science' comes mainly from political blogs and denial websites which you accept uncritically.

#15 Mar 25, 2012
LessFactMoreHype, alias:
NobodyYouEverWantToKnow wrote:
I am firmly of the opinion (based on the evidence) that Cro-Magnon interbred with Neanderthal to obtain the genetic adaptations such as pale skin, heavy build, large nose, etc that allowed success in the Northern and Western European climate. This heritage obviously benefited from the Cro-Magnon development of time binding. And the lack of adaptatability led to the end of Neanderthal as a separate species.
It is also obvious that some posters are throwbacks. At least in their mental processes. I propose this seriously. It is obvious to anyone with a Cro-Magnon inheritance that such astoundingly extreme heat waves in March will be just the foretaste of record breaking heat waves in July or August as well. Records are being broken for heat while cold records are falling silent. This is NOT random acts of nature,but a warning that can be heeded by those who understand consequences and opportunity.
Thanks for proving beyond all reasonable doubt that you're a complete nut job, Mr Thermal Pollutant.
Sammy

Lowell, MI

#16 Mar 25, 2012
I'd bet real money that we have a cold, wet summer.

Norfolk va

#17 Mar 25, 2012
NobodyYouKnow wrote:
<quoted text>
There are many tens of thousands of studies and so far you have not given reference to even ONE published in a reasonable respected journal.
<quoted text>
No study 'completely debunks' anything. Science doesn't work that way, but they you have no connection or comprehension to science. Your 'science' comes mainly from political blogs and denial websites which you accept uncritically.
And your proof is from sites that are AGW propaganda sites. There are plenty of sources available to those who are willing to spend a second to look for it. Of course to you any site that is creditable must support AGW and any site that does not cannnot be creditable.

Here is a citation. I not to sure if you have access to research databases. If not then you should see about getting it. The amount of peer reviewed research is huge. Actual journals and studies from the experts themselves. Sources such as Gale Powersearch and EBSCO are ones that I am subscribed to.

Paterson, N. R.(2011). Global Warming: A Critique of the Anthropogenic Model and its Consequences. Geoscience Canada, 38(1), 41-48.
litesong

Everett, WA

#18 Mar 26, 2012
[QUOTE who="steve's case of the itch"]You guys keep on telling me it's a problem when clearly it is not.[/QUOTE]

Partially, "steve's case of the itch" is his severely itchy puffy eyes due to premature early spring warm weather allergies related to release of pollen. Clearly, "steve's case of the itch" just can't see.

#19 Mar 26, 2012
3 years later, and litesout still can't manage to attach quote blocks successfully.
So much for "hi skule deegrees."
litesong

Everett, WA

#20 Mar 26, 2012
steenking piddling diddling middling mudling mudslinger dirtling wrote:
.....litesong still can't manage to attach quote blocks successfully.
"steenking piddling diddling middling mudling mudslinger dirtling" still loves being a slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pig.

So much for a moral atheist.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Washington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Genetics Suggest Autism Isn't Just One Disorder... Nov 30 Vaccines Maim Kill 5
Ferguson protesters rally across US for second day Nov 27 mickey wickey 3
Depression and dementia in older adults increas... Nov 25 HumanSpirit 3
Monterey Bay researchers capture rare deep-sea ... Nov 21 IBdaMann 2
Seattle man arrested after bragging online abou... (Jun '14) Nov '14 thought 28
New District Court Seat Presents Unique Opportu... (Oct '10) Nov '14 Kermit 2
Can your genes affect your response to Ebola? T... Oct '14 OccupyThis 1
More from around the web