New study backs Arctic climate models

Sep 23, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Earth Times

The Arctic is at the front line in climate change and conditions there are changing so quickly it's becoming hard for scientists to accurately measure and predict how the sea ice will change.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2011

Judged:

"Following their investigation the study authors say they believe climate computer models are probably accurate in their prediction that the Arctic seas will be ice free in summer by around 2050."
So what was wrong with previous predictions?
More to the point, what happened to Nauseous Northie's 70% ice loss?
Northie

Spokane, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2011

Judged:

Simply a different take on the same data:

"Monthly averaged ice volume for August 2011 was 5,000 km3. This value is 62% lower than the mean over this period, 72% lower than the maximum in 1979, and 2.3 standard deviations below the trend."

http://psc.apl.washington.edu/wordpress/resea...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2011

Judged:

Are you really colour prejudiced and ageist, Nauseous?
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2011

Judged:

Here's an easy one.

Believe the University of Washington scientists who confirm the work of thousands of scientists. Do not believe 'piddling middling mudling mudslinger dirtling', who quit hi skule, has errors of 500 million TIMES & 92% on a subject he introduced & who is a slimy filthy vile pukey proud racist pig.

I worked with some of the the best brains at the UW & they are phenomenal.

If a lit candle represented the intellect of 'piddling middling mudling mudslinger dirtling', he couldn't burn anyone, even a burn victim. Why? Because 'piddling middling mudling mudslinger dirtling' is 'alien has no brain'.
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2011

Judged:

[QUOTE who='piddling middling mudling mudslinger dirtling']Are you really colour prejudiced and ageist, Nauseous?[/QUOTE]

'piddling middling mudling mudslinger dirtling' is a slimy filthy vile pukey proud racist pig.
Fun Facts

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2011

Judged:

36% or 72% does it make a difference? No, what it makes is uncertain science.

As long as we continue to get science that cannot seem to agree we should remain skeptical of any predictions.

Remember the ice was to be gone in 2008, it's still there.

Here's a graph of the polar regions for 2010, the warmest or tied for the warmest year ever as compared to the 1990 to 2010 time period. 1990 to 2010 was chosen because CO2 values are reported to have increased by 45% in this time period.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gistemp/do_...

Note the red dot in antarctica is the reporting of one station with a data base since 1957. This graph and the previous graph appear to be in conflict.

The first graph showing elevated temps over the average and this one showing lower temps. The measured data is compared to a calculated average that includes weighting the values to eliminate seasonal variations. Nonetheless, there appears to be a conflict in reporting.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/gistemp/gis...
Fun Facts

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2011

Judged:

Addendum. The map provided above was for only August 2010, here's the map for 2010 annual

And here's the rest of the story...for the rest of the world.

Fun Facts

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2011

Judged:

I noticed the negative emoticons on post #6, I understand, I too wonder about the credibility of some of the NASA graphs and information.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2011

Judged:

Fun Facts wrote:
I noticed the negative emoticons on post #6, I understand, I too wonder about the credibility of some of the NASA graphs and information.
Hilarious, we get negative icons for being sceptical, not for post content.
Well it's settled now, or should that be, again:
"Following their investigation the study authors say they believe climate computer models are probably accurate in their prediction that the Arctic seas will be ice free in summer by around 2050."
That should give them more wiggle room.
ֿ
NobodyYouKnow

Orangeville, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2011

Judged:

Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Hilarious, we get negative icons for being sceptical, not for post content.
Actually, I would say that the emoticons are more for 'strongly agree' to 'strongly disagree'. Lots of silly posts get no emoticons at all.

And they don't have emoticons for 'senile old fool' or 'troll', etc. They may be using some emoticons for 'nearest match'.

Topix might be better to have a one to ten ratings scale. Maybe access to a histogram of the ratings.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2011

Judged:

NobodyYouWantToKnow wrote:
Actually, I would say that the emoticons are more for 'strongly agree' to 'strongly disagree'. Lots of silly posts get no emoticons at all.
And they don't have emoticons for 'senile old fool' or 'troll', etc. They may be using some emoticons for 'nearest match'.
Topix might be better to have a one to ten ratings scale. Maybe access to a histogram of the ratings.
The Topix judgement icon system is childish, maybe that's what you like about it, Mr Undoubtably Spelt Fourty.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••