Harmon-Wright Jury Recommends 3 years, Formal Sentence in April

A former Culpeper town police officer was in court again Friday morning for the sentencing phase of his case. Full Story
Crack Scooter

Moneta, VA

#21 Feb 1, 2013
Eaglescout1984 wrote:
I think we're all forgetting this is a JURY who decided the guilt and sentence recommendation so far. I think some of the jurors bought Harmon-Wright's side of the story and pushed for a slap on the wrist sentence as a compromise.
Right. People talk about the system but the average jury is made up of the same jobless losers that we see on the downtown mall every day. So stop whining everybody the same type of bottom feeders let OJ off, remember?

If you work every day, pay income taxes and have a value set you won't get near a cherry picked jury in Charlottesville Circuit Court since you might have a brain that works.
Good grief

Ferrum, VA

#22 Feb 1, 2013
Such an injustice to the victim and her family. I'm still shocked that people get more time for Marijuana poss....
Fools Gold

Scottsville, VA

#23 Feb 1, 2013
They will keep him out of state prison because he would likely be killed in jail.
give up

Charlottesville, VA

#24 Feb 1, 2013
There are enhanced penalties for citizens that commit crimes against police officers and there should be enhanced penalties for cops that commit crimes against citizens. As it stands your life is worth less than theres. That is not justice.
Back to Reality

Charlottesville, VA

#25 Feb 1, 2013
Was his mother on the jury too?
No Justice

Keene, VA

#26 Feb 1, 2013
36 months for taking a life??? Again, we give less punishment for taking a life than we give for drug charges. The justice system in this state is so messed up.
Crozet Resident

Charlottesville, VA

#27 Feb 1, 2013
give up wrote:
There are enhanced penalties for citizens that commit crimes against police officers and there should be enhanced penalties for cops that commit crimes against citizens. As it stands your life is worth less than theres. That is not justice.
I so agree with you. There is NO justice for the women who was killed. Her family will have to suffer the lose of her for the rest of their life..... and HE GETS TO GO ON WITH HIS LIFE. I know that the police officers wife said that they have lost everything. What about the family who has lost a daughter, a wife, a sister, must I go on?????? She still has her husband!!!
Judy

Waynesboro, VA

#28 Feb 1, 2013
I too was convicted of a crime that the police officers lied on the witness stand. I spent over 5 months in jail. They lied all during my trial. I took a polygraph test and passed without any doubt. Police officers have way too much power and get away with a lot because they can!!!
jus sayin

Waynesboro, VA

#29 Feb 1, 2013
awww ... come on. Send him on up here to the big house, cause we got plans for his fat a**. He's gonna be MY bit*h and i'm gonna share her with ALL my friends!
Love Stinks

Rice, VA

#30 Feb 1, 2013
Could it be that the woman was his exwife or one time girlfrind?
Guardian

Rocky Mount, VA

#31 Feb 1, 2013
How anyone can accept this paltry sentence for a law enforcement officer who shot and killed an unarmed women, shooting her first at point blank range, and then emptied his semi-automatic handgun into her back, and lied about it repeatedly is beyond all reason. This is why nobody respects the profession anymore, and look at all law enforcement officers with either contempt or pity.
Guardian

Rocky Mount, VA

#32 Feb 1, 2013
A person convicted of assaulting a police officer MUST receive a mandatory minimum sentence of 6 months in prison in Virginia. In other words, even if the judge or jury believes the assault of the police officer is not severe, the minimum sentence that MUST be imposed is 6 months incarceration. This law enforcement officer committed, and was convicted of voluntary manslaughter of a citizen and his punishment will be about a year in a regional jail.
Justice Down the Tubes

Scottsville, VA

#33 Feb 2, 2013
Just another reason not to respect our system and judges.
Justice Down the Tubes

Scottsville, VA

#34 Feb 2, 2013
Fools Gold wrote:
They will keep him out of state prison because he would likely be killed in jail.
Or rape his fat arse.
randomthoughts

Waynesboro, VA

#35 Feb 2, 2013
I hope this Lady has children since her Husband has passed.

I am not a fan of sue happy people, I would support this ladies Family lining up the civil suits to BURY this man under debt the rest of his life.

This POS...sounds like a control freak that takes his problems to work and out on other people.

I can only hope the judge has a better call than the jury, I think he/she will.... but after this I don't know.
randomthoughts

Waynesboro, VA

#36 Feb 2, 2013
Guardian wrote:
A person convicted of assaulting a police officer MUST receive a mandatory minimum sentence of 6 months in prison in Virginia. In other words, even if the judge or jury believes the assault of the police officer is not severe, the minimum sentence that MUST be imposed is 6 months incarceration. This law enforcement officer committed, and was convicted of voluntary manslaughter of a citizen and his punishment will be about a year in a regional jail.
Its time for mandatory min for violation of civil rights by sworn officers.I always wished the good cops woud weed out the few bad, they don't seem to do this as they should.

Time to put some bite into blatent contempt of cop attitudes in Virginia.
randomthoughts

Waynesboro, VA

#37 Feb 2, 2013
No Justice wrote:
36 months for taking a life??? Again, we give less punishment for taking a life than we give for drug charges. The justice system in this state is so messed up.
I agree, I seen a lady in Harrisonburg who sold a drug to a (friend and fellow addict ) he od's and died and she got 15 years yesterday.

You cannot justify shooting a Woman or another HUMAN for that matter 7 or 10 times in the back.... You just cannot do it in this case.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#38 Feb 2, 2013
jurors returned a token sentence, one that avoids state prison, because cops know their names
Beebee

Orange, VA

#39 Feb 2, 2013
Local jail instead of state prison. Whaaat? He KILLED that lady. From all accounts this guy should never have been hired by Culpeper PD in the first place.
Beebee

Orange, VA

#40 Feb 2, 2013
Guardian wrote:
How anyone can accept this paltry sentence for a law enforcement officer who shot and killed an unarmed women, shooting her first at point blank range, and then emptied his semi-automatic handgun into her back, and lied about it repeatedly is beyond all reason. This is why nobody respects the profession anymore, and look at all law enforcement officers with either contempt or pity.
This loser rogue cop gives all decent hardworking honest cops a bad name.So unfair. Would you condemn all teachers for instances of abuse or misconduct with students? All school bus drivers-like the one in Greene last year? All doctors for what the surgeon in Culpeper did?
I am appalled by this slap on the wrist sentence, but even more offensive is the fact that he gets to serve his sentence in local jail instead of prison.
The former chief who hired him against recommendations, and who allowed this guy's mama to stay in her job after she got into his personnel files and removed documents, shares some blame in this whole mess.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Virginia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Opinion: GOP's problem wooing African-American ... Sep 5 Rock 9
White, straight women leading surge in infertil... Aug 28 rhb 20
Macedonia goes neo-classical - or is it just go... Aug 27 makedonas from ci... 14
What does 'diversity' mean to you? The answer m... Aug '14 KIP 12
60+ Healthcare Professionals Sign an Open Lette... Aug '14 humanSpirit 1
UVA Medical Researchers Develop New Antibiotic Jul '14 samhan 1
Charlottesville is Happy Jul '14 Dick Hurtz 1
•••

University of Virginia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••