Carneal hearing opens

Carneal hearing opens

There are 160 comments on the The Paducah Sun Online Edition story from Mar 14, 2011, titled Carneal hearing opens. In it, The Paducah Sun Online Edition reports that:

Prosecutors called a forensic clinical psychologist from the University of Virginia as the first witness in a federal court hearing in Paducah on Monday to determine if Heath High School shooter Michael Carneal was too mentally ill to plead guilty in 1998.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Paducah Sun Online Edition.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Chelle

United States

#1 Mar 14, 2011
Are you kidding me...obviously he is mentally ill nobody in their right mind would do what he did. This is a waste of time he did it now he can continue to sit his ass down somewhere unable to harm others. They are all crazy if they think this unstability claim is going to get him let out...he shouldnt of been granted another trial.
esg

United States

#2 Mar 14, 2011
Chelle wrote:
Are you kidding me...obviously he is mentally ill nobody in their right mind would do what he did. This is a waste of time he did it now he can continue to sit his ass down somewhere unable to harm others. They are all crazy if they think this unstability claim is going to get him let out...he shouldnt of been granted another trial.
I'm not saying I agree with what he did but you endure all the crap he went through and see if you don't snap... I was actually locked up with him at kentucky state refomatory and he's a very smart person..... What he did was wrong but it's not up to us to judge him..... He will not be getting out but I can't blame him for trying... If it were you you would try the same thing and you know it
Chelle

United States

#3 Mar 14, 2011
I dont know if I would or wouldn't...thats just 1 let down after another. Alls I'm saying is I hate whatever he had to go through no child should be bullied or harassed however why keep putting these families through all these trials. They've lost family members a child whatever the case maybe and not to mention the emotional trauma everybody there had to witness
Free Michael

Worth, IL

#4 Mar 15, 2011
He just did what so many of us would never do, but when you were being punched by a bunch of untouchable jocks or unmercifally harassed day after day, don't lie and say getting revenge on those privileged sons of bitches in that style didn't cross your mind. He should never have carried it out, and thinking something like that even is pretty extreme, but apparently others do, too, or you wouldn't have books/movies/etc. with similar themes.

Give him a second chance- he can spend the rest of his life speaking out against bullying, or making the wrong choice and his experience might shape others for the better as a cautionary tale.
My two cents

Nashville, TN

#6 Mar 15, 2011
Free Michael wrote:
He just did what so many of us would never do, but when you were being punched by a bunch of untouchable jocks or unmercifally harassed day after day, don't lie and say getting revenge on those privileged sons of bitches in that style didn't cross your mind. He should never have carried it out, and thinking something like that even is pretty extreme, but apparently others do, too, or you wouldn't have books/movies/etc. with similar themes.
Give him a second chance- he can spend the rest of his life speaking out against bullying, or making the wrong choice and his experience might shape others for the better as a cautionary tale.
What about the people's family who lost their children because he decided to be on a rampage? If you had a child and he murdered them would you want him out???????
esg

United States

#7 Mar 15, 2011
My two cents wrote:
<quoted text>
What about the people's family who lost their children because he decided to be on a rampage? If you had a child and he murdered them would you want him out???????
are you a christian
Pissed in Paducah

Tomball, TX

#8 Mar 15, 2011
The whole situation is messed up! He was bullied and tormented at school but he opened fire on a PRAYER GROUP...not necessarily the people that bullied him...not that it would have been a justifiable homicide if it was the jocks that picked on him. This shooting happened early in the day before school really even started on a small segment of the school population!

There are many responsible from parents to students to faculty and Carneal himself ...we as a society dropped the ball in the worst way! If he is able to get psychiatric help I say give it to him because he will be out one day and I would like to hope his mental state is better!
Anonymous

United States

#9 Mar 15, 2011
I was a sophomore that year and seen it all happen that kid was no more bullied than anyone else at the school no reason to do what he did at all. I don't care if one single person gets picked on all the time by everyone that's still no reason to open fire on a prayer circle I lost a good friend I grew up with over nothing there's always a bully but I'm sure u can handle it different like a good punch in the nose will make one stop . That is one day I will never forget ! I still believe in HEATH

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#10 Mar 15, 2011
I wounder if all this wont give some other kid the idea to go on a killig spree and then try to beat the system.Free Michael my ass.Let Michael Rot.
esg

United States

#11 Mar 15, 2011
skrillaslpss wrote:
I was a sophomore that year and seen it all happen that kid was no more bullied than anyone else at the school no reason to do what he did at all. I don't care if one single person gets picked on all the time by everyone that's still no reason to open fire on a prayer circle I lost a good friend I grew up with over nothing there's always a bully but I'm sure u can handle it different like a good punch in the nose will make one stop . That is one day I will never forget ! I still believe in HEATH
he endured allot more than other kids.... Your just biased cause you were there
*Hater*

United States

#12 Mar 15, 2011
Let him ride ol sparky
esg

United States

#13 Mar 15, 2011
Convicted Felon wrote:
I wounder if all this wont give some other kid the idea to go on a killig spree and then try to beat the system.Free Michael my ass.Let Michael Rot.
no... Michael was not the first to shoot up a school so your wrong there so maybe it was the first school shooting that gave him the idea and you being a convicted felon like me should know that people change and deserve a second chance.... I'm sure there were people that said you shouldn't be let out just like people said it about me

Location hidden

#14 Mar 15, 2011
esg wrote:
<quoted text> no... Michael was not the first to shoot up a school so your wrong there so maybe it was the first school shooting that gave him the idea and you being a convicted felon like me should know that people change and deserve a second chance.... I'm sure there were people that said you shouldn't be let out just like people said it about me
Im getting the idea you and michael became very close friends at ksr.Michael put paducah on the map.Did his crime and stole his fame.Now he needs to do his time.
esg

United States

#15 Mar 15, 2011
Convicted Felon wrote:
<quoted text>
Im getting the idea you and michael became very close friends at ksr.Michael put paducah on the map.Did his crime and stole his fame.Now he needs to do his time.
only talked to him once or twice and no he did not put paducah on the map.... There were many things and people that had gotten paducahs name out there..... He's not all there... Put him in a psych ward..... Doesn't mean that anyone doesn't deserve a second chance.... I'm sure you've gotten more that a second chance

Location hidden

#16 Mar 15, 2011
Maybe but I doubt they will give him a new trail.And when he gets convicted they give him death.That would save the tax payers a bunch.
Plus we dont have to worry about him getting out and going on a killing spree because he was bullied in prison.
I never said he was the first school spree killer.I said if he gets off,you know,if he gets away with murder,will that cause some other loser to try to do the same.
I am amazed there are so many people that think he has a chance.Im sure he is sorry,Im sure if he had it to do over again he wouldnt,but he did do it,he did plead guilty.Most would agree he would have been convicted had he went to trial.And most likly gotten death,so perhaps he thinks now people will give him a trial and not seek death?
esg

United States

#17 Mar 15, 2011
Although I think everyone deserves a second chance doesn't mean I agree with what he did..... I was just on wpsd website and I did see something very disturbing.... There is actually a game conning out called school shooter world tour 2012.... Thats taking video games to far..... I know convicted felon is going to try to say carneal inspired them to make this game.... He was second in the line of school shootings but if you ask anyone a question about school shootings the first thing the majority will bring up is columbine....
esg

United States

#18 Mar 15, 2011
For The record he has never been bullied in prison..... You should know first hand that people can change

Location hidden

#21 Mar 15, 2011
esg wrote:
Although I think everyone deserves a second chance doesn't mean I agree with what he did..... I was just on wpsd website and I did see something very disturbing.... There is actually a game conning out called school shooter world tour 2012.... Thats taking video games to far..... I know convicted felon is going to try to say carneal inspired them to make this game.... He was second in the line of school shootings but if you ask anyone a question about school shootings the first thing the majority will bring up is columbine....
You know what im going to say?
Now that is funny.
If he gets a new trial ill be surprised.
But in truth I doubt the guy will ever get out of prison.

Location hidden

#22 Mar 15, 2011
PADUCAH, Ky.— A clinical psychologist testified Monday that a Western Kentucky school shooter was likely incompetent when he pleaded guilty in 1998 to killing three classmates and wounding five others.

Dewey Cornell, who works and teaches at the University of Virginia, said that 27-year-old Michael Adam Carneal did not gain enough control over his mental illness to rationally understand his crime until May 2004.

Cornell testified on the first day of a hearing in federal court in Paducah over whether Carneal was too mentally ill to attempt to withdraw his plea.

U.S. District Judge Thomas B. Russell, who is hearing the case, has not set a deadline to rule.

Cornell, who has treated Carneal periodically for the last decade, described a serious of hallucinations and voices known as "the danes" that were influencing Carneal's behavior.

"He was constantly sort of at odds with these voices," Cornell said.

Carneal took guns to Heath High School near Paducah on Dec. 1, 1997, and opened fire on a prayer group, killing three students and wounding five. Carneal, who was 14 years old at the time, pleaded guilty but mentally ill and is serving life in prison.

Cornell said the voices told Carneal to bring the weapons and shoot his classmates and "that he had to do this for himself."

Cornell said these voices and hallucinations taunted Carneal, telling him not to disclose their existence to anyone.

Carneal stayed quiet about the voices and hallucinations until going on a more powerful medication while in prison in 2004 that allowed him to realize the voices in his head were not real and enabled him to talk about them, Cornell said.

Nine people including several former classmates and family members of two of the students killed sat in the courtroom just yards from Carneal, making notes during testimony and occasionally looking over at Carneal.

Carneal, dressed in a tan prison jumpsuit with a shaved head, sat quietly between his attorneys throughout Cornell's testimony.

If Russell rules in Carneal's favor, it would open the door for Carneal to challenge his guilty plea on grounds that he was too incompetent to accept responsibility for the shooting.

Should Russell rule against Carneal, he would be able to appeal the case to the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.

Carneal is eligible for parole in 2023.

Location hidden

#23 Mar 15, 2011
Convicted Felon wrote:
PADUCAH, Ky.— A clinical psychologist testified Monday that a Western Kentucky school shooter was likely incompetent when he pleaded guilty in 1998 to killing three classmates and wounding five others.
Dewey Cornell, who works and teaches at the University of Virginia, said that 27-year-old Michael Adam Carneal did not gain enough control over his mental illness to rationally understand his crime until May 2004.
Cornell testified on the first day of a hearing in federal court in Paducah over whether Carneal was too mentally ill to attempt to withdraw his plea.
U.S. District Judge Thomas B. Russell, who is hearing the case, has not set a deadline to rule.
Cornell, who has treated Carneal periodically for the last decade, described a serious of hallucinations and voices known as "the danes" that were influencing Carneal's behavior.
"He was constantly sort of at odds with these voices," Cornell said.
Carneal took guns to Heath High School near Paducah on Dec. 1, 1997, and opened fire on a prayer group, killing three students and wounding five. Carneal, who was 14 years old at the time, pleaded guilty but mentally ill and is serving life in prison.
Cornell said the voices told Carneal to bring the weapons and shoot his classmates and "that he had to do this for himself."
Cornell said these voices and hallucinations taunted Carneal, telling him not to disclose their existence to anyone.
Carneal stayed quiet about the voices and hallucinations until going on a more powerful medication while in prison in 2004 that allowed him to realize the voices in his head were not real and enabled him to talk about them, Cornell said.
Nine people including several former classmates and family members of two of the students killed sat in the courtroom just yards from Carneal, making notes during testimony and occasionally looking over at Carneal.
Carneal, dressed in a tan prison jumpsuit with a shaved head, sat quietly between his attorneys throughout Cornell's testimony.
If Russell rules in Carneal's favor, it would open the door for Carneal to challenge his guilty plea on grounds that he was too incompetent to accept responsibility for the shooting.
Should Russell rule against Carneal, he would be able to appeal the case to the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Carneal is eligible for parole in 2023.
On Dec. 1, 1997, Michael Carneal inserted a pair of ear plugs, strode up to a student prayer circle at his high school in Kentucky and opened fire with a stolen .22-caliber pistol.

As if in a trance, he squeezed off eight to 10 shots, killing three students and wounding five others.

"He ... got eight hits on eight different targets, five of them head shots," said Dave Grossman, a retired Army Ranger and former assistant professor of psychology at West Point. As a feat of marksmanship, it was "truly, truly stunning."

By comparison, Grossman cites FBI statistics that from a distance of seven yards, the average police officer hits the target in a shootout with only one of five shots. The New York officers who fired 41 times at Amadou Diallo hit him with fewer than half their shots.

HOUSE OF THE DEAD

REDNECK RAMPAGE

MORTAL KOMBAT 4

TIME CRISIS
So where did Michael Carneal learn to shoot?

Grossman thinks he knows. He reviewed Carneal's psychiatric evaluations and was not surprised to find that he played violent computer and video games, including Quake, Redneck Rampage and Resident Evil. The games, which Grossman refers to as hypnotic "murder simulators," are unnervingly similar to combat trainers the military uses.

"This boy was doing exactly what he was drilled to do."

During 23 years as an Army Ranger, Grossman, 43, rose to the rank of lieutenant colonel. He never killed anyone but has made the psychology of killing his life's study

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Virginia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News In the fight against sexual assault, this schoo... 23 hr Paddling has its ... 4
News Police Standoff at Lake Monticello Ends, Suspec... (Feb '13) Jun 8 Sick of Taxes 80
News Talc linked to ovarian cancer risk in African-A... Jun 5 Happy 7
News Wall Street supports Bush, Clinton for sake of ... (Oct '15) Jun 3 Happy Old Geezer 10
News UVA Illegal Immigrant Group Demands 'Xenophobes... Mar '16 HOLLA ISABELLA 3
News North Korea sentences US tourist to 15 years in pr Mar '16 Lawrence Wolf 23
News Former student: Antonin Scalia was outed as 'bl... Mar '16 MsFashyPants 10
More from around the web