State Lawmakers Pass Photo ID Bill

If you want to cast a ballot in future elections, don't forget to say "cheese." A bill requiring photo identification to vote passed the Virginia General Assembly Wednesday, and is on its way to the governor's desk. Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Tex

Plano, TX

#1 Feb 20, 2013
Here's another fraud everyone should be aware of - the Amway Tool Scam. Google "Stop The Amway Tool Scam Wordpress" for more information, and forward this information to every non-Distributor/IBO you know, so they don't get ripped off.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Feb 20, 2013
Like the boy with his thumb in the dyke, just a matter of time before the right wing is no more.
Ice Dogg

Richmond, VA

#3 Feb 20, 2013
Will Obama's Justice Dept sign off on this? I think not.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Feb 20, 2013
Ice Dogg wrote:
Will Obama's Justice Dept sign off on this? I think not.
Of course they will along with the conservative Supreme Court. But again, no matter.
G Luv

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Feb 20, 2013
Kind of sucks for all the absentee voters. Now they'll have to fly home to show their IDs.

Oh, wait.
voter

Forest, VA

#6 Feb 20, 2013
So the state will provide free photo ID's to those who don't have them. This can be done at your local DMV. Many of the people who need a photo ID need one because they are too poor to own a car or too old to drive so they don't have a driver's license. So these people have to rely on friends or relatives who do have cars and licenses (and jobs) to take them to DMV (on a weekday) for this process. This can take hours, as anyone who has been to DMV lately will tell you. Also most outlying DMV offices have been closed over the last few years so this is a long trip to town as well as a long wait. But hey, state legislators really don't want poor and elderly voting anyway since they just seem to keep "getting it wrong".
internets

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Feb 20, 2013
"We had some high-profile incidents last year that just showed that the half measures that we implemented last year with the best of intentions just weren't adequate to the task," said the bill's sponsor, Sen. Mark Obenshain.

Does anyone know which incidents he is talking about? Do they exist?
cvillemom

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Feb 20, 2013
Every time there is an attempt to prevent voter fraud, we hear all the chicken littles crying about how the poor and elderly will be "disenfranchised". There are very, very few people in this country who don't have a valid id or who can't manage to get one. They manage to cash checks, which usually requires an id, apply for government benefits, etc.
I personally am tired of the voter fraud in this country. It is not a democrat thing or a republican thing, but it should be something that is of concern to every valid citizen. Now you will try to tell me that voter fraud doesn't exist, which tells me you are no different from the woman in the news recently:
http://www.jdjournal.com/2013/02/20/woman-bei... #
motor voter

United States

#9 Feb 20, 2013
internets wrote:
"We had some high-profile incidents last year that just showed that the half measures that we implemented last year with the best of intentions just weren't adequate to the task," said the bill's sponsor, Sen. Mark Obenshain.
Does anyone know which incidents he is talking about? Do they exist?
there were those that traveled the poll circuit by the van fulls that when questioned went to the next poll. when not questioned they voted. Tuscono is whining because their scam has been uncovered and now they [Obama's cronies] will have to play by the rules instead of break them.
belmont blu

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Feb 20, 2013
Jim Crow is alive and well in the Old Dominion if the Gov signs this bill. What a laughingstock this state will be.

Also , just because the Post Office requires ID doesnt make it right in a really free society.
Jim

Broadway, VA

#11 Feb 20, 2013
Toscano and Obenshain are both the court jesters of their respective parties, neither of them deserve my vote this year.
internets

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Feb 20, 2013
she's a POLL WORKER? And how is showing ID going to stop a poll worker from committing fraud when they're the ones checking the IDs?

No one is surprised if there's fraud coming from the people who run the elections or the equipment.

The only reason Republicans want the ID law is so that the 10 million people in this country without IDs will stop voting. And the only reason Democrats care is because they don't want to lose the votes. People need to just admit that already

Here's an idea -- everyone who is registered to vote in Virginia got a voter registration card in the mail. Just bring it with you to vote. No more of this nonsense with bringing a utility bill with your name on it, or a bank statement, or now a photo ID.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Feb 20, 2013
cvillemom wrote:
Every time there is an attempt to prevent voter fraud, we hear all the chicken littles crying about how the poor and elderly will be "disenfranchised". There are very, very few people in this country who don't have a valid id or who can't manage to get one. They manage to cash checks, which usually requires an id, apply for government benefits, etc.
I personally am tired of the voter fraud in this country. It is not a democrat thing or a republican thing, but it should be something that is of concern to every valid citizen. Now you will try to tell me that voter fraud doesn't exist, which tells me you are no different from the woman in the news recently:
http://www.jdjournal.com/2013/02/20/woman-bei... #
Oh it exists, but amounts to nothing that would ever sway an election. Why the fuss? To keep the Latino vote at bay, 71% of Latinos voted for Obama, that scares the .... out of righties. That percentage may stay the same but the Latino numbers are increasing every year so the numbers will increase every year. Thats what gots the right shaking in their boots. If its not voter fraud its redistricting, anything to keep themselves in office. But the writings on the wall, the GOP is on its way out, soon.
jonas pepper

United States

#14 Feb 20, 2013
internets wrote:
she's a POLL WORKER? And how is showing ID going to stop a poll worker from committing fraud when they're the ones checking the IDs?
No one is surprised if there's fraud coming from the people who run the elections or the equipment.
The only reason Republicans want the ID law is so that the 10 million people in this country without IDs will stop voting. And the only reason Democrats care is because they don't want to lose the votes. People need to just admit that already
Here's an idea -- everyone who is registered to vote in Virginia got a voter registration card in the mail. Just bring it with you to vote. No more of this nonsense with bringing a utility bill with your name on it, or a bank statement, or now a photo ID.
you mean 11 million
Ice Dogg

Richmond, VA

#15 Feb 20, 2013
Wasn't there a tea bagger from Fluvana charged with election violations. Maybe she will get a free prison ID.
Crack Scooter

Farmville, VA

#16 Feb 20, 2013
sez you wrote:
<quoted text>Oh it exists, but amounts to nothing that would ever sway an election. Why the fuss? To keep the Latino vote at bay, 71% of Latinos voted for Obama, that scares the .... out of righties. That percentage may stay the same but the Latino numbers are increasing every year so the numbers will increase every year. Thats what gots the right shaking in their boots. If its not voter fraud its redistricting, anything to keep themselves in office. But the writings on the wall, the GOP is on its way out, soon.
Don't forget the lady in Chicago that voted for Obama six time and when she was caught she said "Why not, he deserved it". The important thing is to keep it fair so each person can vote once and that seems quite fair. Every country I know of has similar laws in place so that citizens can vite and visiting tourists can't, etc. There are plenty of enterprising illegals that have been caught with more than one social security card and driver's license and that shows the system has too many holes in it---holes that everybody's taxes pay to fill in terms of benefits that some folks aren't entitled to.
TEX

Rocky Mount, VA

#17 Feb 21, 2013
Once the "Golfer in chief" has used the wonder of his rxpensive and useless health reforn to kill off most folks over 60, there will be no elderly vote and the theft of all medicare fumds will cancel that program and $9 a gallion for fuel will further restrict travel to a poll~~~~~ PROBLEM SOLVED
Local

Bethpage, NY

#18 Feb 21, 2013
sez you wrote:
<quoted text>...the GOP is on its way out, soon.
I see this theme in most of your postings. Do you believe that we're going to end up with a one-party political system in this country? Or are you saying that the Republican party is going to be replaced by something else? If so, what?

If with a second party, what do you think that party would be and explain the characteristics thereof.

If not replaced with something else and just a one-party system... here's some QA for you: What type of government can be defined as a one-party government. Once you answer that question, think about it long and hard with an open mind. I know it's tough. Take your time...
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Feb 21, 2013
"Republicans say photo identification will help crack down on voter fraud."

Yeah, all that rampant voter fraud. Let's be honest, and show us where that is, or be dishonest and don't.

It should also crack down on youth, elderly and poor voters, the vote dem demographic.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Feb 21, 2013
Crack Scooter wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't forget the lady in Chicago that voted for Obama six time
Sorry, this voter ID bill would not have prevented that. You are wrong.

Even if you were correct, listen to your argument; ONE lady, in Chicago? versus millions of disenfranchised voters?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Virginia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thank God for Female Bishops 5 hr True Christian 14
US Marine charged in Filipino transgender slaying 23 hr joe 7
Rape victims shouldn't report their assaults to... Dec 17 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
No Due Process For College Men Dec 17 cant trust many 1
Rare northern white rhino dies in US zoo Dec 15 Pablo 1
ISIS militants 'trying to sell body of beheaded... Dec 12 USA Today 1
Rolling Stone's 'bad journalism' in U.Va. rape ... Dec 11 Grubered out 6
More from around the web