Teens who express differences with mom might also resist peer pressure: study

Dec 21, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Brandon Sun

Joseph Allen, co-author of a study appearing in the journal Child Development. Allen said teens need to learn to stand up for themselves somewhere, and those who learn to do so in the right way with their parents are actually much better suited to do it well with their peers.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
SilverSwanBabies

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 22, 2011

My children who were strong willed as teens were also leaders with their peers. They were seldom following the others.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2011

my eldest grew up fast due to my divorce but he is a strong willed lad of 22 now.
When he was a pre teen and teen, he had to learn that things didnt come for free, with the tantrums etc. but i helped him obtain the designer trainers and clothes and computer games when he had to put up half the money. But the usual rules were he had to prove he had the money first. This process for me anyway stopped him from going down following the peers. He would hold his head high and say they were his, and not hand outs from parents etc.
This is one small part of how i helped him develop. My other two have had same treatment. My youngest is 14 and going thru some tantrums but he is learning. i am blessed with great boysx

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent University of Virginia Discussions

Search the University of Virginia Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Truancy Trumps Tolerance: Religious Right Tells... Apr 9 TomInElPaso 28
Another nod to Davis' polling strength Feb '14 chris elliott 1
#2 - UPDATE: Police Have Video Of Shootings Feb '14 CultureofViolence 1
Single-sex education does little to raise achie... Feb '14 humanSpirit 1
'SNL' hires Sasheer Zamata, first black female ... Jan '14 Jumper The Wise 78
Carneal hearing opens (Mar '11) Jan '14 3Wheeler 160
Democratic insider McAuliffe to take office as ... Jan '14 Gary 4
•••
•••