BUHS students speak out on gay rights

Apr 21, 2012 Full story: The Brattleboro Reformer 19

Sigda, 15, a ninth-grader at Brattleboro Union High School, was one of more than 100 students who vowed to stay silent in school Friday to support lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students across the country in a nationwide political action to call attention to bullying and harassment.

Full Story

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#1 Apr 21, 2012
Good for them! They are to be lauded, as they work to end bigotry towards GLBTQ students.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#2 Apr 21, 2012
I didn't like the Day of Silence concept. It should have been a Day of Megaphones. The bigots use megaphones to preach their stupidity, remaining silent in protest will only be a lost message.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#3 Apr 22, 2012
Thanks kids!

Remember, you are helping to build the world YOU want to live in.

Good Job!
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#4 Apr 22, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
I didn't like the Day of Silence concept. It should have been a Day of Megaphones. The bigots use megaphones to preach their stupidity, remaining silent in protest will only be a lost message.
We do 'loud' too; sugar

.
All bases covered ;o))

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#5 Apr 22, 2012
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
We do 'loud' too; sugar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =POnZXB6yaLoXX
.
All bases covered ;o))
Yeah, but I don't think silence is a very good protest, that's all. I think there should be more loud, Pride Parades once a month should do the trick at this point. LOL But then, I love gay events like that, makes life colorful enough to be worth socializing offline.

DNF

“Judge more and you love less”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH-Baltimore MD-S.Fla

#6 Apr 22, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
I didn't like the Day of Silence concept. It should have been a Day of Megaphones. The bigots use megaphones to preach their stupidity, remaining silent in protest will only be a lost message.
I have to disagree. Almost from the beginning of the idea parents who oppose equality for gays and lesbians were outraged. It's a brilliant concept. NOT SPEAKING UP for equality but making it known that you are refusing to speak made the anti gay folks nuts!

Many anti gays even keep their children out of school on that day to protest the "Day of Silence". It's really funny if you think about it. The same people who don't want the issue talked about in schools are opposed to a day where we REFUSE TO TALK ABOUT IT!

It's a concept Gandhi used. Non co-operation and passive resistance.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#7 Apr 22, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, but I don't think silence is a very good protest, that's all. I think there should be more loud, Pride Parades once a month should do the trick at this point. LOL But then, I love gay events like that, makes life colorful enough to be worth socializing offline.
Being noisy has its place, but the silent treatment was brilliant. If someone starts to shout, the other person will try to shout him down. If you are silent, what are they going to do? QUIET him down? There is no way to respond for the observer and he or she will look like a fool if they try to make the others talk, it makes the statement so much more powerful, for it makes the observers wonder what is going on, far more than loud yelling.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#8 Apr 22, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I have to disagree. Almost from the beginning of the idea parents who oppose equality for gays and lesbians were outraged. It's a brilliant concept. NOT SPEAKING UP for equality but making it known that you are refusing to speak made the anti gay folks nuts!
Many anti gays even keep their children out of school on that day to protest the "Day of Silence". It's really funny if you think about it. The same people who don't want the issue talked about in schools are opposed to a day where we REFUSE TO TALK ABOUT IT!
It's a concept Gandhi used. Non co-operation and passive resistance.
Recall GW Bush's second inauguration? They wouldn't let any protestors bring signs or anything, so the protestors dressed nicely, to be allowed a good place, and when his limo drove by, they turned and showed their backs. This has been going on since the ancient Roman days and does the trick far better than raucous protests. It makes the protesters seem elegant and calm.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#9 Apr 22, 2012
By that reasoning, DNF, I will have to concede and agree with you, my original point was not incorporating the entire story. I guess something good can come from silence sometimes.
Mitt s Polygamous Gramps

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Apr 22, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Many anti gays even keep their children out of school on that day to protest the "Day of Silence".
No, now the fundie bigots have exploited the Day of Silence by declaring the day to be their own, Day of Truth, on which they intend to "dialogue."

Day of Silence is so meek. No one can remember the ACTUP slogan? Day of Silence is like some anti gay stereotype.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#11 Apr 22, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
I didn't like the Day of Silence concept. It should have been a Day of Megaphones. The bigots use megaphones to preach their stupidity, remaining silent in protest will only be a lost message.
People said that about "The Names Project".

DNF

“Judge more and you love less”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH-Baltimore MD-S.Fla

#12 Apr 23, 2012
christian groups condemn day of silence

http://floridaagenda.com/2012/04/20/christian...

Pastor Disapproves of Anti-Bullying Event to Commemorate Matthew Shepard Murder

The American Family Association, Citizens for Community Values, Faith 2 Action, the Family Research Council, the Liberty Counsel, Mission America, and Save California are among the groups that have called for a national student walkout to protest what one Connecticut pastor calls a day to “[promote] vile, graphic, foul language, and child sex. Across the U.S., religious and social conservatives have condemned the April 20 National Day of Silence, a commemoration of the murder of Wyoming college student Matthew Shepard and a day to draw awareness to the evils of bullying and homophobic violence.

Last week, Connecticut pastor James Loomer requested that the Milford Board of Education deny permission for students to organize the Day of Silence. Rightwingwatch.org reported this week that “Loomer’s campaign is based on material from rabidly antigay activist Linda Harvey of Mission America, along with debunked claims that [GLSEN] distributes pornographic material to children.” The Web site also noted that “the school board’s own legal counsel and the American Civil Liberties Union [agree] that students have a right to participate in the Day of Silence during non-instructional time.”

http://www.topix.com/religion/2012/04/christi...

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#13 Apr 23, 2012
DNF wrote:
christian groups condemn day of silence
http://floridaagenda.com/2012/04/20/christian...
Pastor Disapproves of Anti-Bullying Event to Commemorate Matthew Shepard Murder
I do truly stand corrected and hope for more protests then. This is actually really good news.

DNF

“Judge more and you love less”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH-Baltimore MD-S.Fla

#14 Apr 24, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I do truly stand corrected and hope for more protests then. This is actually really good news.
It's getting pretty crazy. The extreme right seem to be determined to silence anyone who opposes them. Look at Tennessee and what is happening over in Russia!

Straight-Married Russian Man Arrested For “Homosexual Propaganda” Now Cleared Of Violating Anti-Gay Ban

Full story here: http://www.queerty.com/straight-married-russi...

Seems they want to lock up anyone who speaks out against them. And yet they consider themselves true blue American Patriots.

They are more like Frank Burns from M*A*S*H. Self righteous hypocrites wrapping themselves in the flag yet willing to throw anyone under the bus who DARES speak out against them.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#15 Apr 24, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>It's getting pretty crazy. The extreme right seem to be determined to silence anyone who opposes them. Look at Tennessee and what is happening over in Russia!
Straight-Married Russian Man Arrested For “Homosexual Propaganda” Now Cleared Of Violating Anti-Gay Ban
Full story here: http://www.queerty.com/straight-married-russi...
Seems they want to lock up anyone who speaks out against them. And yet they consider themselves true blue American Patriots.
They are more like Frank Burns from M*A*S*H. Self righteous hypocrites wrapping themselves in the flag yet willing to throw anyone under the bus who DARES speak out against them.
It is one of the steps to a theocratic tyranny. Destroy all individuality and make everyone afraid to oppose the "normality" they choose. It's Conquering From Within 101.

DNF

“Judge more and you love less”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH-Baltimore MD-S.Fla

#16 Apr 24, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It is one of the steps to a theocratic tyranny. Destroy all individuality and make everyone afraid to oppose the "normality" they choose. It's Conquering From Within 101.
I've posted The Fundamentalist Agenda many times. Here's the link. I think you will like it very much.

The Fundamentalist Agenda
By Davidson Loehr

http://www.uuworld.org/2004/01/feature2.html

Unlike the "gay agenda" this one actually exists.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#17 Apr 24, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
It is one of the steps to a theocratic tyranny. Destroy all individuality and make everyone afraid to oppose the "normality" they choose. It's Conquering From Within 101.
The term is "theonomy".

Russia, and it seems some States here, seem to be rushin' back into the arms of ...

http://i39.tinypic.com/2i91ox3.jpg

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#18 Apr 24, 2012
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
The term is "theonomy".
Russia, and it seems some States here, seem to be rushin' back into the arms of ...
http://i39.tinypic.com/2i91ox3.jpg
Thank you, I did not know there was an actual term for it yet.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#19 Apr 24, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, I did not know there was an actual term for it yet.
It's been around for quite a while.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theonomy

It's closely related to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presuppositional...

and is at the core of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamentalist%E...

and essential to both:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Recons...

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominionism

I hope the above are helpful starting points.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Virginia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thank God for Female Bishops Dec 21 RevKen 15
US Marine charged in Filipino transgender slaying Dec 19 joe 7
Rape victims shouldn't report their assaults to... Dec 17 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
No Due Process For College Men Dec 17 cant trust many 1
Rare northern white rhino dies in US zoo Dec 15 Pablo 1
ISIS militants 'trying to sell body of beheaded... Dec 12 USA Today 1
Rolling Stone's 'bad journalism' in U.Va. rape ... Dec 11 Grubered out 6
More from around the web