VA Hospitals See Increased Flu Cases

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

Augusta Health alone has treated more than 500 cases of the flu this season - that's five times the typical amount.
Comments
1 - 18 of 18 Comments Last updated Jan 14, 2013
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Jan 10, 2013
"the flu strand people are infected with is the same one the flu shot protects you from. She says it's not too late to get the shot"

The flu shot contains a dead virus and does not "give you the flu".
It is 60% effective, teaches your system to defend against the flu and if you do manage to get the flu, chances are it will be milder than if you didn't get yourself immunized.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Jan 10, 2013
Nope, no flu shots for me. Been just fine without it.
Dr_Noel_Derecki

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Jan 10, 2013
It's called a "strain," Molly, not a "strand."
Dejavu

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Jan 11, 2013
Is this a cut and paste from prior years? We hear the same 'sky is falling ' claim every year. Try personal hygiene for once...starting when you visit the bathroom. The sink is put there to wash your hands, not get a drink.
JUS SAYIN

United States

#5 Jan 11, 2013
I have not had the flu shot in years and have been just fine with out it also.. last one I got I got sick. with the FLU!. and the "strain" thats effecting ppl now "IS NOT" what is going around.. if you research past articles.. they tell you they base it on last years strains or predict what "may" be the next strain.. trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes to keep "fear" down froma possible eppidemic. Its rampid all over the country. some of us still have our eyes wide open.. JS
Gnu

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Jan 11, 2013
Dr_Noel_Derecki wrote:
It's called a "strain," Molly, not a "strand."
Molly, ignore these quacks.
In the article, it's correctly termed a strand.
A strain refers to a variation of the virus. A strand usually refers
to a series of molecules that are affected by a virus.
rocktown

Harrisonburg, VA

#7 Jan 11, 2013
flu shots are a big scam, just another way to line big pharma's pockets
Gnu

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Jan 11, 2013
rocktown wrote:
flu shots are a big scam, just another way to line big pharma's pockets
Not really; it's effective 60 % of the time. If someone says that it will prevent the flu, that's a scam.
rocktown

Harrisonburg, VA

#9 Jan 11, 2013
It would be most interesting to have statistics as to how many flu cases have had the flu vaccine prior to coming down with the flu. Is this another case of 2009 when deliberately contaminated vaccine was being pushed on the public? Thanks to a lab in the Czech Republic that tested the 2009 vaccine and found it to be contaminated that push for mandatory global vaccination in 2009 was dropped.
truthbetold

Fork Union, VA

#10 Jan 11, 2013
The chem trails are working to help spread illness, do you people realize the elite get different shots
Gnu

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Jan 11, 2013
rocktown wrote:
It would be most interesting to have statistics as to how many flu cases have had the flu vaccine prior to coming down with the flu. Is this another case of 2009 when deliberately contaminated vaccine was being pushed on the public? Thanks to a lab in the Czech Republic that tested the 2009 vaccine and found it to be contaminated that push for mandatory global vaccination in 2009 was dropped.
Your Google button isn't connect to them internets?
http://news.menshealth.com/flu-shot-myths/201...
truthbetold

Fork Union, VA

#12 Jan 11, 2013
Gnu wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really; it's effective 60 % of the time. If someone says that it will prevent the flu, that's a scam.
So do you work for big pharma or obama feds cause you are so full of dog dump
Dude

Marshall, VA

#13 Jan 11, 2013
truthbetold wrote:
The chem trails are working to help spread illness, do you people realize the elite get different shots
chem trails? You know, people think I'm a conspiracy nut, and once they look up chem trails, they'll think you're a bigger one.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Jan 11, 2013
truthbetold wrote:
shhh
Gnu

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Jan 12, 2013
truthbetold wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Farmville hick,don't worry - the feds and big pharma don't give a %#&@# about your poor arse
G Luv

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Jan 12, 2013
truthbetold wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait. So your chem trail comment wasn't satire? You really are nuts?
truthbetold

Fork Union, VA

#18 Jan 14, 2013
Funny truth slaps your silly arse in the face every day and when the media tells you you didnt see that you say I didnt see that drooooooooooooooooooooooool
sez you

Richmond, VA

#19 Jan 14, 2013
Gnu wrote:
<quoted text>
When I buy somethong I expect it work 100% of the time, like my car. When you go to get a shot these days knowing it might not work half the time who's the fool? certainly not the chem pharms. Foe all we know they have already developed an antidote for the the flu, but why market something that will in effect put you out of business?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Virginia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
White, straight women leading surge in infertil... 12 hr rhb 20
Macedonia goes neo-classical - or is it just go... 23 hr makedonas from ci... 14
What does 'diversity' mean to you? The answer m... Aug 10 KIP 13
60+ Healthcare Professionals Sign an Open Lette... Aug 3 humanSpirit 1
Opinion: GOP's problem wooing African-American ... Jul '14 UTB 1
UVA Medical Researchers Develop New Antibiotic Jul '14 samhan 1
Charlottesville is Happy Jul '14 Dick Hurtz 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

University of Virginia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••