Cville Council Talks Driving on 29, P...

Cville Council Talks Driving on 29, Parking in the City

There are 17 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jun 16, 2013, titled Cville Council Talks Driving on 29, Parking in the City. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

The city of Charlottesville has the green light to move forward with a project that will bump down drive time on Route 29.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

Hmmmmm

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Jun 17, 2013
It's about time.

And not to worry - any extra tax money you think it might "cost" you will be made up in savings on gasoline and time. Probably on insurance rates in the long haul too.

Can we take care of the Pantops area now too? I can't tell you how many times I've gone through there and had to stop at virtually every light. It's almost as if planners actually plan to make things as stupid as possible.
I B Repoed

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Jun 17, 2013
Hmmmmm wrote:
It's about time.
And not to worry - any extra tax money you think it might "cost" you will be made up in savings on gasoline and time. Probably on insurance rates in the long haul too.
Can we take care of the Pantops area now too? I can't tell you how many times I've gone through there and had to stop at virtually every light. It's almost as if planners actually plan to make things as stupid as possible.
The traffic light just outside Albemarle circuit court is eternally green on the Park Avenue side all night long.
Skull

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Jun 18, 2013
Hmmmmm wrote:
It's about time.
Hate to tell you this but that very system is in place on Pantops now! Just check the VDOT records.
Roadrunner

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Jun 18, 2013
What traffic report or study said this would work? Why did the city spend all that money on a traffic controll room and still need this? Why do we have bus stops on 29/Emmet St and not in the business areas where it is safer and will not hold up traffic? Can anyone answer this or do they even care?
Wise One

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Jun 18, 2013
Roadrunner wrote:
What traffic report or study said this would work? Why did the city spend all that money on a traffic controll room and still need this? Why do we have bus stops on 29/Emmet St and not in the business areas where it is safer and will not hold up traffic? Can anyone answer this or do they even care?
Who really care? They want to spend tax money on things that don't work just to say we are doing something and think we are DUMB enough to belive what they say will work and put them back in there when it's time for there job to be up. If they want to cut down on the back up problem all they got to do is add more LANES.
Eaglescout1984

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Jun 18, 2013
So, Smith and Norris have no problem spending money on a "human rights committee" that might benefit a very small portion of the population who have a legitimate claim of discrimination. But spending money to help everyone who owns a car to save time and gas money, not to mention cutting down on emissions, is not worth the money. Makes sense to me!
I see drunk people

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Jun 18, 2013
Maybe we could get the bums to direct traffic since we have one at every light now.
Roadrunner

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Jun 18, 2013
Wise One wrote:
<quoted text>
Who really care? They want to spend tax money on things that don't work just to say we are doing something and think we are DUMB enough to belive what they say will work and put them back in there when it's time for there job to be up. If they want to cut down on the back up problem all they got to do is add more LANES.
I absolutely agree!!! Just for once would like some explanation as to how they came up with this train wreck! For a good example see VDOT and Pantops traffic. It's the same system they want to buy.
think about it

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Jun 18, 2013
Been driving up and down 29 north for years dealing with one form or another of the road configuration. Is this something to appease folks to avoid a by pass?
Thinking free

Richmond, VA

#10 Jun 18, 2013
The lights can be a pain but the biggest problem are drivers that don't pay attention cause they'
re all on cell phones. Lights can't fix that.
Conservative Townie

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Jun 18, 2013
It's ridiculous:

* that Smith & Norris think this is a bad idea, and

* that it wasn't done years ago.

I agree with previous comments about buses and drivers not paying attention. The very idea that buses can block a lane on 29 is preposterous.

As far as the buses, here's an idea: From University Avenue to Walmart, make them *pull off 29* into a parking lot to pick up or drop off passengers. Just a quick in-and-out of the parking lot--not a tour of the parking lot like they do at Barracks Road Shopping Center.

I don't know what to do about drivers not paying attention. The typical reaction time for the 1st car in line when a light turns green is pathetic. In Boston, these people would get an earful from all of the drivers in line behind them.
Gru

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Jun 18, 2013
You would have THOUGHT that the SMART thing to do would have been to start synchronizing when the SECOND light was first put in. But I forget . . . we're dealing with government. The same people that apparently don't see a problem with bus stops right in the middle of the d@mn road just south of a busy intersection (i.e. 29 immediately south of Hydraulic where everyone's trying to get to the right lane to get onto 250 . . .).
Roadrunner

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Jun 18, 2013
Gru wrote:
You would have THOUGHT that the SMART thing to do would have been to start synchronizing when the SECOND light was first put in. But I forget ... we're dealing with government. The same people that apparently don't see a problem with bus stops right in the middle of the d@mn road just south of a busy intersection (i.e. 29 immediately south of Hydraulic where everyone's trying to get to the right lane to get onto 250 ...).
I agree! The city has systems in place to coordinate the light already. They have people that can and have already done this in other locations. All this is public information and you can see the traffic room i believe is at 4th St building.
G Luv

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Jun 18, 2013
Gru wrote:
You would have THOUGHT that the SMART thing to do would have been to start synchronizing when the SECOND light was first put in. But I forget ... we're dealing with government. The same people that apparently don't see a problem with bus stops right in the middle of the d@mn road just south of a busy intersection (i.e. 29 immediately south of Hydraulic where everyone's trying to get to the right lane to get onto 250 ...).
The lights were synchronized a while ago, though you were probably too busy having a hissy fit to notice.

This is 'smart' technology that adjusts for real-time traffic. Of course, by 'smart' we don't expect you to understand it.
Hmmmmm

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Jun 18, 2013
Skull wrote:
<quoted text>
Hate to tell you this but that very system is in place on Pantops now! Just check the VDOT records.
Allow me to elaborate. During high volume times much of Pantops seems to be in good synch and flow through there in the mornings and evenings on workdays is better than it used to be. But during off hours, things are somehow set a different way and the electric eyes - or whatever they are - for the cross streets take precedence over the synching of the main lights through the area. So in the off times you can easily end up driving through there having to stop at every light. So if this is the same system, it should be managed better and always put synching first.
Judy

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Jun 18, 2013
Charlottesville is not a sleepy little country town anymore. I don't understand why people don't get this. Drivers need to be alert and drive defensively on rt 29. And planners need to be forward thinking. Traffic needs to move to prevent backups and congestion. Meadow Creek Parkway and the future Western bypass are already inadequate. It has amazed me how the people that wanted to prevent us from becoming just like other big cities we have become just that, miles and miles of concrete and blacktop covered with stop lights.
Judy

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Jun 18, 2013
"It feels like it came out of nowhere and that the county has been actually talking and dealing and looking for funds before this," said Councilor Dede Smith.

Dede you are behind times. Moving traffic on rte 29 has been an issue for awhile. Thank goodness the county are on top of it and trying to solve the issues.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Virginia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Biases against lesbians, gays ebbing: Study Jul 25 WasteWater 2
News UVa Police ask Community to be Alert after Arme... Jul 13 Wasunwillingclock 1
News Rubio's financial woes could be political gold Jun '15 see the light 1
fire all - ambassey flag italy Jun '15 black ink 1
pavarotti + 1 beer.. dalla + black ink.. pino +... Jun '15 black ink 3
News Lawmakers reject State's Chief Medical Officer May '15 Mikey 16
News Officer: Shooting at Muhammad cartoon contest i... May '15 Tazo 6
More from around the web