Family Turns to Website to Fund an International Adoption

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

More and more people are turning to social networks for various reasons. One Charlottesville couple looking to expand their family has turned to the internet to help cover the costs.
Comments
1 - 15 of 15 Comments Last updated Jan 10, 2013
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Judged:

Why don't they adopt a baby from America? They are lots of them that need a family. Begging for money to adopt an international baby which I equate to being a luxury is ludacris.
Great More Welfare

Troy, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Really? You expect other people to pay for your child? Can you feed that child too or will that be someone else's responsibility? Thinking free, great comment, there are plenty of american children in need as well. That's great you want to help the country that pretty much owns us.
Really

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

I have a child that I am fostering, the question came up about adoption. would love to adopt her but..... keeping in contact with a family that she was removed from is not my idea of creating a new family life.

And the but is why people have decided to adopt internationally, when adopting here in the US in most cases the foster care system in VA would like these children to keep in contact with their bio-family. keeping in contact with bio-family does not allow these children to move on, still have the past lingering over their heads. Also the adoptive parents have to worry about bio parents trying to take the child that they lost do to reasons of their own doing. The foster/adoptive system also wants to maintain contacts with other siblings, another problem if the child uses the olders as a crutch.

I understand completely why people are looking outside of the US for a child, especially if they really want to have a normal family life. When this child turns a certain age, then yes share the information about adoption.... this is one of the areas that it depends on what the family seeking a child wants.

I do agree with the fact that if you want to adopt then you should have you own means to cover the expenses.
get real

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Really wrote:
I have a child that I am fostering, the question came up about adoption. would love to adopt her but..... keeping in contact with a family that she was removed from is not my idea of creating a new family life.
And the but is why people have decided to adopt internationally, when adopting here in the US in most cases the foster care system in VA would like these children to keep in contact with their bio-family. keeping in contact with bio-family does not allow these children to move on, still have the past lingering over their heads. Also the adoptive parents have to worry about bio parents trying to take the child that they lost do to reasons of their own doing. The foster/adoptive system also wants to maintain contacts with other siblings, another problem if the child uses the olders as a crutch.
I understand completely why people are looking outside of the US for a child, especially if they really want to have a normal family life. When this child turns a certain age, then yes share the information about adoption.... this is one of the areas that it depends on what the family seeking a child wants.
I do agree with the fact that if you want to adopt then you should have you own means to cover the expenses.
Thank you for the information, many of us are not aware of the issue with keeping these children in touch with the bio families. That would be frightening to say the least, especially when the whole reason children are in foster care is due to a bad environment. I agree, if you are going to adopt, you should pay your own expenses-especially if it is from another country. We have so many children who need families and homes here in America. This international adoption seems to also be sort of a "trendy" thing to do with the hollywood celebrities, which is very disheartening considering we have children here in America who need families too!
Amy

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

thinking free wrote:
Why don't they adopt a baby from America? They are lots of them that need a family. Begging for money to adopt an international baby which I equate to being a luxury is ludacris.
Because adoption laws in the US are ridiculous and it is much harder to adopt a healthy baby here. I have a family member and several friends that went through unsuccessful US adoptions. Yet I know numerous successful international adoptions (Ethiopia, China, Brazil). Like everything else, the US legislates everything into a big mess. And fostering? No way...you get to love a child only to turn them back over to unfit parents. It's a shame, but it's reality.
And people can choose to donate money. Or not. If you don't want to donate, don't. At least we haven't created a tax for this so you still have a choice ;)
Really

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Why do some people think it's perfectly fine to hold out their hands and ask for money just because they 'want' something that cannot afford? I'm sorry, but this is wrong - another example of the current 'entitlement' mindset that's ruining our country. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I became a single mother of two children, 3 & 5 years old. I never asked for a dime from anyone, quickly learned to sacrifice certain things in order to live within my means, made a comfortable, loving home (though we had very few extras), and my children knew they were loved and well cared for. Yes, I understand wanting a child this badly; I understand why it's sometimes preferable to adopt from another country vs. US foster child system w/all its red tape and riiculous requirements forcing the new family to have the child maintain connections to the biological family; and I understand the expenses associated with foreign adoption and travel. But, please, understand that you are responsible for supporting this child in every way. That means a lot of hard work, budgeting, saving, and setting priorities - not holding out your hand whenever you 'want' some money to make things easier on you!
Amy

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Really-I definitely understand your point. But, I see this as voluntarily donating vs. taxation for entitlement spending. I can choose to donate to a local animal welfare group, but someone who dislikes animals may choose not to and think it's crazy. On the other hand, I would never donate to PETA, or an animal "rights" organization. You may choose to. I could go on and on with examples. WAY different than entitlement. Private charity groups almost always function better than government-run entitlement programs. And the freedom is yours to donate to those you choose to. With govt programs, you have no choice.
County Resident

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Maybe I can set up a website to collect money for my dental work, which is expensive.
Hmmmm

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Made in USA would be cheaper.
wondering

New Castle, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

What's all the fuss about? If you don't like it, don't give. It's their life not yours.
RNR

Scottsville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

not sure why this is considered news but sure is good publicity for them
Really

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Amy wrote:
Really-I definitely understand your point. But, I see this as voluntarily donating vs. taxation for entitlement spending. I can choose to donate to a local animal welfare group, but someone who dislikes animals may choose not to and think it's crazy. On the other hand, I would never donate to PETA, or an animal "rights" organization. You may choose to. I could go on and on with examples. WAY different than entitlement. Private charity groups almost always function better than government-run entitlement programs. And the freedom is yours to donate to those you choose to. With govt programs, you have no choice.
Nobody mentioned "taxation for entitlement spending", and you can 'donate' to whoever you choose. You totally missed my point, that a great many people in this country feel entitled to have whatever they want, simply because they want it. There are many things that I need, and can't yet afford, but I've prioritized the list, and am working hard to make these thigs happen. Come on, Americans, let's have a little pride, and start taking care of our on responsibilities instead of begging for handouts!
Colleen Tuite

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Adopting from Virginia's foster care system worked great for us. I have seven children adopted from foster care and we have differing degrees of contact for each ranging from none to a few face-to-face visits a year. Continuing contact with birth family is NOT mandated in all cases; once the child is yours, the choice for contact is yours.
Adopting from foster care is low- or no-cost as well.
Just thought I'd put that out there...
Colleen Tuite

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Really wrote:
You should check again with your worker. And once rights are terminated, the bio parents CANNOT take the child back. You have been misinformed.
Clever

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2013

Judged:

Part 2:

Help pay our medical bills....stay tuned.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••