VA Drive To Hire 1,600 Mental Health Pros Hits Community Clinics' Supply

Apr 7, 2013 Full story: GantDaily.com 6

The Department of Veterans Affairs, trying to cope with a surge in psychological needs of veterans, has vowed to hire 1,600 additional mental health care professionals by the end of June, but some experts say the pool of qualified candidates is too small and the federal effort could jeopardize already-understaffed community health organizations.

Full Story
HumanSpirit

New Smyrna Beach, FL

#1 Apr 7, 2013
With no science to the mental health industry. No medical model. No evidence based medicine and no test for chemical imbalance of the brain....I would think hiring for any mental health position could be eased by dropping license requirement and hiring any red light district bimbo or scumbag off the street.

Inside the Battle to Define Mental Illness

Every so often Al Frances says something that seems to surprise even him. Just now, for instance, in the predawn darkness of his comfortable, rambling home in Carmel, California, he has broken off his exercise routine to declare that “there is no definition of a mental disorder. It’s bullshit. I mean, you just can’t define it.” Then an odd, reflective look crosses his face, as if he’s taking in the strangeness of this scene: Allen Frances, lead editor of the fourth edition of the American Psychiatric Associations Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (universally known as the DSM-IV), the guy who wrote the book on mental illness, confessing that “these concepts are virtually impossible to define precisely with bright lines at the boundaries.” For the first time in two days, the conversation comes to an awkward halt.

There are no genetic tests, no brain scans, blood tests, chemical imbalance tests or X-rays that can scientifically/medically prove that any psychiatric disorder is a medical condition.

----
HumanSpirit

New Smyrna Beach, FL

#2 Apr 7, 2013
Psychiatric Diagnosis: Too Little Science, Too Many Conflicts of Interest [i]

Paula J. Caplan, Ph.D.

Harvard University

Snip:

The Concerns

There is a lot of pain and suffering in the world, and it is tempting to believe that the mental health community knows how to help. It is widely believed, both by mental health professionals and the general population, that if only a person gets the right psychiatric diagnosis, the therapist will know what kind of measures will be the most helpful. Unfortunately, that is not usually the case, and getting a psychiatric diagnosis can often create more problems than it solves, including a lifetime of being labeled, difficulties with obtaining affordable (or any) health insurance (due to now having a pre-existing condition), loss of employment, loss of child custody, the overlooking of physical illnesses and injuries because of everything being attributed to psychological factors, and the loss of the right to make decisions about one’s medical and legal affairs. The creation and use of psychiatric diagnosis, unlike, for instance, psychiatric drugs, is not overseen by any regulatory body, and rarely does anyone raise the question of what role the assignment of a psychiatric label has played in creating problems for individuals.[ii]

The Problematic History

These serious limitations have not prevented the authors of the American Psychiatric Association’s (APA) Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), sometimes known as “the therapist’s Bible,” from making expansive claims about their knowledge and authority and wielding enormous power to decide who will and will not be called mentally ill and what the varieties of alleged mental illness will be. The DSM’s current edition is called DSM-IV-TR, and it was preceded by the original DSM (in 1952), then DSM-II (1968), DSM-III (1980), DSM-III-R (Third Edition Revised)(1987), DSM-IV (1994), and DSM-IV-TR (2000). The DSM-V is currently in preparation and slated for 2013 publication. Each time a new edition appears, the media ask whichever psychiatrist is the lead editor why a new edition was necessary, and like clockwork, each editor replies that it was because the previous edition really wasn’t scientific (Caplan, 1995). And each time a new edition appears, it contains many more categories than does the previous one. For instance, DSM-III-R contained 297 categories, and DSM-IV contained 374 (Caplan, 1995).

I served as an advisor to two of the DSM-IV committees, before resigning due to serious concerns after witnessing how fast and loose they play with the scientific research related to diagnosis (Caplan, 1995). The DSM is widely used, not only in the mental health system, but also in general medical practice, in schools, and in the courts. I have been involved since 1985 in trying to alert both therapists and the public to the manual’s unscientific nature and the dangers that believing in its objectivity poses. Since then, I have watched with interest a national trend toward gradually increasing openness to the idea that psychiatric diagnosis (A)is largely unscientific,(B)is highly subjective and political, and (C)can cause untold harm, ranging from the patients’ lowered self-confidence to loss of custody of children to loss of health insurance (because any psychiatric label can be considered evidence of a pre-existing condition) to loss of the right to make decisions about their medical and legal affairs.

More of this article:

http://awpsych.org/index.php...
HumanSpirit

New Smyrna Beach, FL

#3 Apr 7, 2013
Psychiatry: An industry of death

&fe ature=youtube_gdata_player

Psychiatry No Science

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Brody

UK

#4 Sep 24, 2013
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.
Service Connected Veteran

Frankfort, OH

#5 Sep 24, 2013
As a service connected veteran with experience, a college degree and several certifications in dealing with Substance Abuse, I have to laugh at this article. What it does not say is that the VA is only recruiting NON VETERANS to work with veterans. Even with my background, training and experience, I have been blocked from being hired by the VA. Fortunely I have a good civilian job that I enjoy and it actually pays more than what the VA is offering but I also wanted to give back to my fellow veterans. Even with my 10 point perference, I was unable to "rate high enough" to qualify for an interview. On three separate occasions, I was not even considered for jobs that I should have been highly qualified for. Now my only comment to the VA is F*ck You. I'm treating veterans who have been unable to obtain the treatment they needed from the VA, so I am giving back.
Willy

Frankfort, OH

#7 Jan 30, 2014
Psychiatry is nothing more than voodoo medicine. VA Psychiatrists are Doctors that are incompetant to practice real medicine. Each one picks one or two drugs that they give to EVERY patient they see. Regardless of its effectiveness, the next Psychaitrist will probably change their drug coctail to whatever they like the best.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Utah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny galaxy Mon Adrian Godsafe MSc 3
Judge avoids discussing Utah gay marriage ruling Sep 25 TomInElPaso 7
Utah autism rate doubled between '02 and '08, d... (May '11) Sep 1 Vaccines Cause Au... 14
University of Utah Biologist Wins Turkey's Top ... Aug 31 Larry 2
Earthquake Threat in Yellowstone Region Bigger ... Aug '14 Iceland volcano m... 1
What do volcanos look like deep underground? Jul '14 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
A hotspot for powerful cosmic rays Jul '14 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1

University of Utah People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE