Groups fight biolab secrecy bill

Groups fight biolab secrecy bill

There are 8 comments on the www.khou.com story from May 8, 2009, titled Groups fight biolab secrecy bill. In it, www.khou.com reports that:

Open government advocates are lining up to fight a bill they say would cripple the public's right to information about deadly germs like those studied at the Galveston National Laboratory.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.khou.com.

“Texas Rocks!!”

Since: Mar 07

Texas

#1 May 8, 2009
the fed needs to buy themselves some private property far away from our natural resources and populous, so th@ whatever 'no good' they are up to they can't harm the public!
shadow

Maxton, NC

#2 May 8, 2009
remember kids: when the government does something like this 99.9 percent of the time they are breaking the law. yep this has been going on since they made that requirement you had to sell youer soul to the devil to get in any position in government. and since i cannot think of any other reason for this bill it most likely has something to do with biological weapons. these guys love war crimes dont they?
John Holland

Spring, TX

#3 May 16, 2009
About a Meeting yesterday in Galveston Texas with UTMB related to the biolab secrecy bill.
There is hard evidence to support the facts listed in this story.

I am a witness and victim of exposure events that transpired at a State biolab operated by the same people who run UTMB (UT Health Systems). Hundreds of Employees were exposed without bio-hazard training for many years until I became ill. I was not told the lab equiment and facilites were dangerous to me while I was working there until after I got sick. It was learned that for some reason the state decided not to train workers building and maintaining labs that they were at risk. They were not provided self protection technology and those exposed prior to my reports and lawsuit were not informed that they had been exposed to hazzards. After my suit I got a call from a lawyer working for the Texas attorney Generals Office who stated that those policies which allowed non-medical staff to be exposed had been changed.
What I learned is that people who were non medical working in labs were not trained in self protection. In many cases doctors worked in the labs on dangerous experiments while maintenance staff, plumbers, electricians, computer support staff and other employees were in hazardous
work areas. Employees were exposed to contaminated rooms and hardware that they were asked to support or repair have no idea they were exposed because I was the first person to realize what was going on.
John Holland Part 2

Mountain View, CA

#4 May 16, 2009
I always try to do the right thing. My freedom and possibly the safety of myself and my family may be at risk as a result of my reports about possible murders facilitated by Texas State officials and lawmakers. Cover ups have occurred in order to protect the state from lawsuits.
I have been speaking for ten years about my experiences while working for the State of Texas in biological research laboratories at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center (MDACC) located in Houston Texas.
Myself and hundreds of other people who were non-medical workers at the MDACC facility were exposed to “all known biological hazards and contagions on Earth” according to MDACC while working in the laboratories prior to about February 2000.
It is likely that the same problem occurred at other labs in Texas operated by UT Health Systems AKA UTMB.
This problem occurred because UT Health Systems had a policy of only training people who were medical staff in the risks of working in the labs and safety procedures required to prevent exposure in the hazardous labs.
I learned five weeks into my job that I was working in a highly infectious environment. Myself and hundred of others were exposed without proper warning and/or training.
I was instructed to collect evidence of what had occurred by a MDACC human resources representative.
I used email normally in the performance of my job. I archived all email records in a standard format that cannot be altered. I also recorded conversations with other employees discussing the problem that had occurred at the facility at the time.
I was already sick with an undetermined infection which caused loss of my voice, stiff neck, coughing up blood, rectal bleeding and many other symptoms when I discovered that I had been exposed in labs.
I went to the doctor who recommended that I take 10 days off from work until they could determine what was causing my illness. I applied for and was granted written approval for 10 days sick leave with a doctors note.
Two days into my sick leave I was terminated by the facility by two hand delivered messages to my home. My medical benefits and income were terminated while I was suffering from an unknown infection contracted in a government operated biolab.
I contacted various agencies for help including the Harris County District Attorney, Houston FBI, OSHA, CDC, UT systems and others in recorded conversations and or by Fax for help. All these agencies refused to help me.
Everyone I contacted told me that I was only allowed to ask UT (The State of Texas) for help. This case was outside their jurisdiction and scope of responsibility. I was told to contact UT Systems in Austin Texas.
UT stated that I could not prove that I contracted the infection at MDACC and refused to help me.
John Holland Part 3

Spring, TX

#5 May 16, 2009
I filed a lawsuit myself after I could not find a lawyer to help me in a case against MDACC (The Sate of Texas). Lawyers contacted stated a suit against the State of Texas like this could result in serious problems for themselves in a variety of ways. These problems included possibly losing their law licenses for a variety of reasons. It became apparent that the State of Texas would do everything possible including changing laws in order to cover up their mistakes in these biolabs.
When a UT biolab had an exposure. The standard procedure apparently was to say that the ill worker could not prove that UT was responsible and terminate the worker and his health insurance coverage immediately. They simply put the sick infected worker out on the street to expose other citizens to the infection with no way for him to obtain medical care.
What would happen if they did this with a plague or Anthrax victim?
If the worker trusted the facility to treat him these days in my opinion they would likely simply allow him to die and cover up all events. If a worker died of an infection he could have potentially infected others outside the facility before showing signs of illness.
The State wants to be allowed to cover up what happens as a result of mistakes. That is what they have always done. This has occurred for years and will continue until Federal authorities setup a program for reporting illnesses that is not controlled by people in the State government who simply want to hide the fact that exposures occurred from everyone.
Don't let Texas pass a law that makes it legal to cover up mistakes that lead to deaths. When civilians are infected because of mistakes and it is covered up by the State to prevent embarrassment and lawsuits the resulting deaths are murder.
The new law is intended to circumvent freedom of speech in order to prevent people from warning the public that an infectious disease has escaped the laboratories.
I feel I should point out that new strains of infections are often created in labs while testing cures. It is very possible that one day if past events continue we will see the story of “I am Legend” come to pass in reality. If you have not seen this story you should watch it today. This problem could eventually kill everyone on the planet.
These people have to be monitored by people outside the State who will consider public health before profits. They try to develop these cures for drug companies to profit at the expense of expendable people both researchers and the general public in my opinion. Why else would they turn possible exposed workers out into the streets and cut off their health care when they become ill?
John Holland Part 4

Lexington, KY

#6 May 16, 2009
The next thing you know they will simply quarantine infected staff who get sick and let them die. They likely will cover up the whole incident. People infected outside the facility who were exposed to the worker will simply suffer and die of unknown causes. These victims infecting others with illnesses that might be deadly but take many years to kill or detect (if ever). There are many possible outcomes of mistakes that I can prove occurred. These events covered up rather than handled properly to protect workers and the public.

The State tries to make it look like they are helping the public with this research but it is really about profits for some drug company really. The question is who profits from the drugs the state develops and how does the public benefit?

When many people have no health care and Texas state hospitals simply turn away many sick people who try to get help what will happen when the poor get infected with the super bug? My guess is that many will die. If you are poor the emergency rooms and doctors in Texas don't help you until you are visibly nearly dead or dead in most cases.

This is a serious problem. Don't let Texas murder medical facility workers and innocent civilians while covering up their mistakes and while trying to get rich without proper precautions and procedures being followed.

They don't want anyone to know what workers have to say about problems after the fact. That is what the new law is about.
John Holland Part 5

Spring, TX

#7 May 16, 2009
There is more to this story. Look for "John Holland part 2", "John Holland part 3" and "John Holland part 4" of my story on this site.

“Texas Rocks!!”

Since: Mar 07

Texas

#8 May 16, 2009
John Holland Part 5 wrote:
There is more to this story. Look for "John Holland part 2", "John Holland part 3" and "John Holland part 4" of my story on this site.
good luck!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Texas Medical Branch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Infant ear infections becoming less common (Mar '16) Mar '16 Pete 1
News Psychological evaluations of pilots: a question... (Mar '15) Apr '15 enforce FARA 3
News Stillbirth risk connected to sleeping on back (Jan '15) Feb '15 Scoop 2
News Hospitals Wrestle With Extent of Ebola Treatment (Nov '14) Nov '14 Jeff Brightone 1
News Is Sexting Normal? (Oct '14) Oct '14 dad of 3 1
News Nearly 25 percent of overweight women mispercei... (Nov '10) Sep '13 Dominik 2
News Texas prisons face more lawsuits over no AC (Jun '13) Jun '13 Donny Brook 1
More from around the web