Myths And Facts About Illegal Worker Health Costs

Aug 14, 2009 Full story: themoderatevoice.com 51

For many illegal immigrants, the fear of deportation outweighs the pain of illness or injury, so they live with their afflictions rather than seeking help until their health problems become critical. That makes things worse — for them, for hospitals that eventually treat them, and for taxpayers who ultimately foot the bill.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
b4its2late

Phillipsburg, NJ

#1 Aug 14, 2009
"and for taxpayers who ultimately foot the bill".
The above is all of the article I have to read.

We dont care how long they wait or why, or how critical they become. They should be mexicos problem 90% of the time, or whichever country they came from.

“No NAU”

Since: May 09

Florida

#2 Aug 14, 2009
"Illegal immigrants can get emergency care through Medicaid, the federal-state program for the poor and people with disabilities. But they can’t get non-emergency care unless they pay. They are ineligible for most other public benefits."

Ummmmmm, this is how most U.S. citizens pay if they do not have health insurance. I do not see the problem with this.

Taxpayers should not be responsible for illegal immigrant healthcare, or any other benefit.
This is the problem.
Jrdn

Morgan Hill, CA

#3 Aug 14, 2009
Another illegal alien sob story of woe and how if we just opened our entire country and all our resources at our expense sooner and easier for them, we'd actually save money horseshit.

Gee, do you think it ever occurs to them that if this invading illegal alien whose now hurt themself wasn't here to begin with that we wouldn't be footing the hospital bill? Yeah, I didn't think so. Anything to guilt trip the hell out of Americans.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#4 Aug 15, 2009
America should think about sending the hospital bill to Mexico.

“Illegals are not immigrants...”

Since: Apr 07

Mid-south, USA

#5 Aug 15, 2009
Rico from East Los wrote:
America should think about cutting off aid to Mexico, until she decides to accept responsiblity for the care oand feeding of her own. Taxpayers can't support the world, and shouldn't have to.

Mid-south, USA

#6 Aug 15, 2009
should have been: and...laptops...grr!
Agree

United States

#7 Aug 15, 2009
cudzuqueen wrote:
<quoted text>America should think about cutting off aid to Mexico, until she decides to accept responsiblity for the care oand feeding of her own. Taxpayers can't support the world, and shouldn't have to.
I'd like to know what Mexico spends it on. Can't be aiding the country's poor people, they send the majority here.

“A Nation of Legal Immigrants”

Since: Nov 07

Lake City Florida,/ Nebraska

#8 Aug 15, 2009
"“They’re scared to see the doctors,” says Genaro Diaz , a legal resident who, at 59, is a father figure to many of the mostly male farmworkers in Benson, North Carolina.“They think they’ll send them back to Mexico.”

That was all I had to read,Another Hispanic taking sides with illegal aliens! Instead of turning them in,he's their "Father" figure,that figures.
b4its2late

Phillipsburg, NJ

#9 Aug 15, 2009
Cricket 23 wrote:
"“They’re scared to see the doctors,” says Genaro Diaz , a legal resident who, at 59, is a father figure to many of the mostly male farmworkers in Benson, North Carolina.“They think they’ll send them back to Mexico.”
That was all I had to read,Another Hispanic taking sides with illegal aliens! Instead of turning them in,he's their "Father" figure,that figures.
Yes, we are all fed up with latino RACISM.

The legal ones are a very big problem with their RACIST DENIAL that hispanics/latinos are a huge problem for the country. Be it illegal aliens, or crime or general street trash, the legal once turn a blind eye and stick up for them.

People are saying enough and telling it like it is.

Latinos, put race aside, stop the DENIAL, and help fix the problem, or except being labeled.
foxracing

AOL

#10 Aug 15, 2009
cudzuqueen wrote:
<quoted text>America should think about cutting off aid to Mexico, until she decides to accept responsiblity for the care oand feeding of her own. Taxpayers can't support the world, and shouldn't have to.
obama and his lovers, wouldnt dare go for that
Pando

Fort Mohave, AZ

#11 Aug 15, 2009
America shouldn't think about it sending the hospital bill to Mexico. We should just do it.

Only send it in the hand of the Mexican ILLEGAL ALIEN who incurred the expense!
Pando

Fort Mohave, AZ

#12 Aug 15, 2009
Sorry should read----America shouldn't think about sending the hospital bill to Mexico. We should just do it.

“Green card?”

Since: Jan 08

Tepic, Nayarit, Mexico

#13 Aug 15, 2009
Agree wrote:
<quoted text> I'd like to know what Mexico spends it on. Can't be aiding the country's poor people, they send the majority here.
This explains a little about that issue,
http://www.topix.com/forum/who/illegal-aliens...

Location hidden

#14 Aug 15, 2009
cudzuqueen wrote:
I would say that too. The complexity of this issue is of a grand scale. I believe that the reason why our government provides aide to Mexico is not one of some endowed right. Rather it is a lesser of two evils. It's conceivable to realize that illegals are not going away anytime soon. Due to this fact spending a smaller portion of money now usually offsets the additional need of more money down the road.

This is no justification of providing services to illegal immigrants, rather it's a cost effective way toward a group who does not belong here; that is currently here. Until America finds a way to keep illegal immigrants out for good, we need to look at the situation at a cost effective way.

If you knew that if you spent a dollar a day to prevent a situation that can cost you several lump sum payments of $50,000 a pop down the road, wouldn't you too pay that one dollar a day? It's cost effective and I believe this is the way our government looks at it.

It's quite disturbing that our government looks at the situation as if it's never going away. Taxpayers can't support the world, but our Government thinks differently.

Location hidden

#15 Aug 15, 2009
Pando wrote:
<quoted text>
America shouldn't think about it sending the hospital bill to Mexico. We should just do it.
I think the Emergency rooms will really go broke. The illegal immigrant won't pay, they make up their documents. Once out of the hospital. Juan becomes Jose.

Location hidden

#16 Aug 15, 2009
b4its2late wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, we are all fed up with latino RACISM.
The legal ones are a very big problem with their RACIST DENIAL that hispanics/latinos are a huge problem for the country. Be it illegal aliens, or crime or general street trash, the legal once turn a blind eye and stick up for them.
People are saying enough and telling it like it is.
Latinos, put race aside, stop the DENIAL, and help fix the problem, or except being labeled.
And you wonder why racist groups are on the rise.
Pando

Fort Mohave, AZ

#18 Aug 15, 2009
<quoted text>
I think the Emergency rooms will really go broke. The illegal immigrant won't pay, they make up their documents. Once out of the hospital. Juan becomes Jose.
Emergency rooms are already going broke.

Look how many hospitals in the L.A. area have gone under. Then there are the ones that just closed their ERs rather than continue taking the hit for unreimbursed care, mainly to ILLEGAL ALIENS. Northridge Medical Center in the Valley is one. They closed their emergency room rather than shut down completely like Granada Hills hospital.

Mid-south, USA

#19 Aug 16, 2009
<quoted text>
I would say that too. The complexity of this issue is of a grand scale. I believe that the reason why our government provides aide to Mexico is not one of some endowed right. Rather it is a lesser of two evils. It's conceivable to realize that illegals are not going away anytime soon. Due to this fact spending a smaller portion of money now usually offsets the additional need of more money down the road.
This is no justification of providing services to illegal immigrants, rather it's a cost effective way toward a group who does not belong here; that is currently here. Until America finds a way to keep illegal immigrants out for good, we need to look at the situation at a cost effective way.
If you knew that if you spent a dollar a day to prevent a situation that can cost you several lump sum payments of $50,000 a pop down the road, wouldn't you too pay that one dollar a day? It's cost effective and I believe this is the way our government looks at it.
It's quite disturbing that our government looks at the situation as if it's never going away. Taxpayers can't support the world, but our Government thinks differently.
Rico, I understand what you are saying, but it just infuriates me that the aid we keep sending never gets used as it was intended. I'm sick of government corruption...ours is included in that as well.

Location hidden

#20 Aug 16, 2009
Pando wrote:
<quoted text>
Emergency rooms are already going broke.
Look how many hospitals in the L.A. area have gone under. Then there are the ones that just closed their ERs rather than continue taking the hit for unreimbursed care, mainly to ILLEGAL ALIENS. Northridge Medical Center in the Valley is one. They closed their emergency room rather than shut down completely like Granada Hills hospital.
I seen a few close down. Its pretty tough. Medical services are so expensive. I guess more and more emergency rooms will continue to close down until control of the issue happens.

I know that illegal immigrants contribute to the problem with non-payment. Considering that the average emergency room visit is about $1000 I must question the validity of a laissez faire system that runs amuck. America spends more on health care then any other Country and we are ranked as 37th on a world scale.

America is F**Kin up somewhere.

Location hidden

#21 Aug 16, 2009
cudzuqueen wrote:
<quoted text>
Rico, I understand what you are saying, but it just infuriates me that the aid we keep sending never gets used as it was intended. I'm sick of government corruption...ours is included in that as well.
It frustrates any American who actually educates oneself on the issue. I often feel like American aide to Mexico is nothing more than a cash transfer from the tax paying American into the hands of the ruling class of Mexico with no incentive to Americans. I'm telling you, if our Government was a business the share holders would have removed the board of directors and CEO a long time ago.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Texas Medical Branch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stillbirth risk connected to sleeping on back Jan 9 BigRabbit 1
Hospitals Wrestle With Extent of Ebola Treatment Nov '14 Jeff Brightone 1
Is Sexting Normal? Oct '14 dad of 3 1
Nearly 25 percent of overweight women mispercei... (Nov '10) Sep '13 Dominik 2
Texas prisons face more lawsuits over no AC (Jun '13) Jun '13 Donny Brook 1
After decades as obstetrician, 'Dr. Dan' still ... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Jeremy 2
In moderation, video games have their benefits (Feb '13) Feb '13 Kyou 5
More from around the web