Texas-Mexico border fence will hurt p...

Texas-Mexico border fence will hurt poor on both sides, UT pane...

There are 103 comments on the Austin American-Statesman story from Mar 28, 2009, titled Texas-Mexico border fence will hurt poor on both sides, UT pane.... In it, Austin American-Statesman reports that:

Ongoing construction of a 670-mile fence along the Texas-Mexico border approved by Congress in 2006 was the topic of a panel Saturday at the University of Texas titled The Border Fence as a Human Rights Barrier.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Austin American-Statesman.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Dallas

Littleton, CO

#1 Mar 29, 2009
There are ports of entry.

The fence is needed to assist our Border Patrol Agents.

Sneaking into this country is NOT a civil right.
If you're here to legally work, you'd not have to sneak back out!
Nashville

Irving, TX

#2 Mar 29, 2009
Dallas wrote:
There are ports of entry.
The fence is needed to assist our Border Patrol Agents.
Sneaking into this country is NOT a civil right.
If you're here to legally work, you'd not have to sneak back out!
Bravo, Dallas! I could not have said it better. Good morning.
Dallas

Littleton, CO

#3 Mar 29, 2009
Nashville wrote:
<quoted text> Bravo, Dallas! I could not have said it better. Good morning.
Good morning back at cha! Another day, more B.S.! I always wondered what I'd do with my idle time after my kids were grown. Well her I am! lol
Nashville

Irving, TX

#5 Mar 29, 2009
Dallas wrote:
<quoted text> Good morning back at cha! Another day, more B.S.! I always wondered what I'd do with my idle time after my kids were grown. Well her I am! lol
Hi ya Dallas, LMAO.. two peas in a pod, here I am too! Don't know about you but my 'plans' included, a nice calm, existence. Visiting with friends, casually. Now days, no one sees me, without taking home "gifts" & not the kind they were use to getting either;-) I have a heavy duty (not kidding) hole puncher and stacks of folders. For studies, I have a little kit that makes booklets. You see, dear, my gifts, are printed materials. Communications via emails are links to the latest threats to our Constitution & information about the invaders . At one time I had visited the local garden wonders, taken photos and luxuriated in the beauty of the acres of various plants. Watching the birds taking photos of them too. Going shopping, lmao, now it is for office supplies. Now my time as is yours is spent ‘data gathering’ and ‘disseminating’ it via whatever means possible. It is a pleasure to get to know you & other ,“cyber warriors !” I appreciate ya’ll more than you will ever know.
Carol

Fort Smith, AR

#6 Mar 29, 2009
Here they go with the human rights again. According to who....where???? Human rights dont give people the right to break into another country illegally and every country has the human right to defend its citizens with safe borders and common sense boundaries.
Coffee

United States

#7 Mar 29, 2009
Mexico won it's independence from Spain on September 16, 1821.(Spain didn't recognized Mexican independence until 1836.)

The Republic of Texas won it's independence from Mexico on March 17, 1836. The Republic of Texas included all of present-day Texas, plus portions of New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, Wyoming, and Colorado. The Republic of Texas existed as an independent nation, recognized by the United States, United Kingdom, France and The Netherlands.

The Republic of Texas became the 28th State of the United States in 1845.

Mexico only owned Texas from September 16, 1821-March 17, 1836, 14 years & 6 months total.

The Republic of Texas lasted from March 17, 1836 thru Dec 29, 1845, 10 Years & 9 months total.

Texas has been part of the United States from Dec 29, 1845 till present 2009, over 164 Years total.

Texas has NOT been part of Mexico for OVER 174 YEARS.
Coffee

United States

#8 Mar 29, 2009
Correction:

The Republic of Texas lasted from March 17, 1836 thru Dec 29, 1845, 9 Years & 9 months total.
Dallas

Littleton, CO

#9 Mar 29, 2009
Nashville wrote:
<quoted text> Hi ya Dallas, LMAO.. two peas in a pod, here I am too! Don't know about you but my 'plans' included, a nice calm, existence. Visiting with friends, casually. Now days, no one sees me, without taking home "gifts" & not the kind they were use to getting either;-) I have a heavy duty (not kidding) hole puncher and stacks of folders. For studies, I have a little kit that makes booklets. You see, dear, my gifts, are printed materials. Communications via emails are links to the latest threats to our Constitution & information about the invaders . At one time I had visited the local garden wonders, taken photos and luxuriated in the beauty of the acres of various plants. Watching the birds taking photos of them too. Going shopping, lmao, now it is for office supplies. Now my time as is yours is spent ‘data gathering’ and ‘disseminating’ it via whatever means possible. It is a pleasure to get to know you & other ,“cyber warriors !” I appreciate ya’ll more than you will ever know.
You have no idea how much we rely on you! Best keep your documents locked up. Gawd knows when they'll be considered against the Messiah's laws! I have quite a stack of information and handwritten notes at my business. You're waaaaay more organized that I am! I truly believe the reason the government is so angry with people like you and me is, they can't pass Shamesty because of the internet. Oh my! They're keeping track of what we do. Bet Dirty Harry throws a fit daily! As you know most of us won't be around when the influx of this damage really makes a mark, it's our kids and grandkids I'm fighting for. My kids are busy with their work, kids, etc. and haven't the time to work on this. I believe our pursuit of justice was one of God's plans for grandmothers and grandfathers. Who am I to ask? I just follow his trail! I've opened up several sets of eyes with such information as Pelosi's $33Million hidden in the last porky bill. The money was for a company in WA, her husband holds $17Million in stock. We have a counter at my business. I "somehow" forget to remove certain documents that happen to be facing where the customer stands. Shame on me? Oh well, they seem to always ask if I have a copy. Well as a matter of fact, yes I do how many would you like? Wow I've really carried on. Oh well! One more thing I sometimes laminate documents I think people should preserve! Gotta make sure the laminator is working? My neighbor called my daughter one weekend, wondering if I was Ok as I hadn't answered my phone. My daughter said, tell me about it she's always on the computer doing research. Leave a message, she'll call you back! At least we don't worry about her being lonely, she doesn't have time! She heard on TV one day, if you keep your mind busy it offsets alzheimers. OMG at this rate she'll be on the mark forever!
Dallas

Littleton, CO

#10 Mar 29, 2009
bump this up!
Dallas

Littleton, CO

#11 Mar 30, 2009
take this one up again!

“Go back the way you came”

Since: Oct 08

Metropolis

#12 Apr 4, 2009
Coffee wrote:
Mexico won it's independence from Spain on September 16, 1821.(Spain didn't recognized Mexican independence until 1836.)
The Republic of Texas won it's independence from Mexico on March 17, 1836. The Republic of Texas included all of present-day Texas, plus portions of New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, Wyoming, and Colorado. The Republic of Texas existed as an independent nation, recognized by the United States, United Kingdom, France and The Netherlands.
Mexico only owned Texas from September 16, 1821-March 17, 1836, 14 years & 6 months total.
The Republic of Texas lasted from March 17, 1836 thru Dec 29, 1845, 10 Years & 9 months total.
Texas has been part of the United States from Dec 29, 1845 till present 2009, over 164 Years total.
Thanks for the history lesson....now get the fk off of MY property!
EFMohammedMartin ez

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Apr 12, 2009
NOT EVEN IF THE U.S./MEXICO BORDER "WALL OF SHAME" WAS ERECTED, THIS WILL NOT KEEP OUR UNDOCUMENTED RAZA FROM FOLLOWING THE "LAW OF RETURN" WHICH THE FEBRUARY 2, 1848 TREATY OF GUADALUPE HIDALGO ASCRIBES! WE ARE INDIGENOUS TO THIS LAND,...WHITEY IS NOT! THEY ARE EUROPEAN INTERLOPERS,...PERIOD! ALSO IF HYPOTHETICALLY THE UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANTS WOULD ALL BE "DEPORTED" (WISHFUL THINKING GRINGO!), THERE ARE STILL OVER 25 MILLION (..AND EVERSO GROWING!) "ANCHOR BABIES" (US BROWN CHILDREN OF UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANTS) WHO ARE TURNING OF VOTING AGE AND THEIR ELDERS, WHO ARE BEGINNING TO MAKE "THE BROWNING OF AMERICA" A REALITY! IF YOU WHITE RACIST XENOPHOBES HAVE ANY DOUBTS,...JUST LOOK AROUND AND SMELL THA "FRIJOLES" (BEANS)1
I REST MY CHICANO REVOLUTIONARY CASE!

"IF IT'S A GOOD FIGHT,..I WANT TO BE IN IT!"

E.F. Mohammed Martinez
(A BROWNSVILLE NATIVE SON NOW RESIDING IN EAST L.A.)
Here Illegally

Rockport, TX

#15 Apr 25, 2009
Don't you Republicans have anything BETTER to Do!

Since: Feb 09

United States

#16 Apr 26, 2009
Here Illegally wrote:
Don't you Republicans have anything BETTER to Do!
no

rofl

What a bunch of petty ignorant ass people they have become.

BOO_HOO!! Cry more morons..
reality check

San Antonio, TX

#18 Jun 2, 2009
Coffee wrote:
But its people, especially that of the south texas region, have a connection to Mexico that cannot and will not be broken.
One cannot begin to understand how deep the roots extend, unless you are from this area. The disputed territory betweeen Mexico and the United States was once called "Medio Mexico", Middle Mexico. The intersting thing is that even 174 years later we are still in what is "Medio Mexico" Why? Because some of it's people "Texas People" feel more connection to our mother land to the south, it's where we come from...
and that my friend cannot be denied...
no matter how tall or how long this border fence stretches....
LME

San Antonio, TX

#19 Jun 2, 2009
reality check wrote:
<quoted text>
But its people, especially that of the south texas region, have a connection to Mexico that cannot and will not be broken.
One cannot begin to understand how deep the roots extend, unless you are from this area. The disputed territory betweeen Mexico and the United States was once called "Medio Mexico", Middle Mexico. The intersting thing is that even 174 years later we are still in what is "Medio Mexico" Why? Because some of it's people "Texas People" feel more connection to our mother land to the south, it's where we come from...
It was called Texas and the people here were Tajanos. Texas was called that by the Indians who lived here
Did you know the name "Texas" comes from a Caddoan Indian word? It is a "Spanish" corruption of the Caddo word Taysha, which means "friend."
Tonkawa is a language isolate (a language unrelated to any other known language). Unfortunately, the Tonkawa language has not been spoken since the 1930's. The surviving Tonkawa people speak only English, although some words of the old language are still used for cultural purposes.
Karankawa Indians were the dog lovers.

The Bidai tribe
The Coahuilteco and Carrizo tribes
The Caddo tribe
The Comanche tribe
The Jumano, Suma, Piro, and other eastern Pueblos
The Karankawa tribe
The Kiowa tribe
The Kitsai tribe
The Tawakoni tribe
The Tonkawa tribe
The Wichita tribe
LME

San Antonio, TX

#20 Jun 2, 2009
reality check wrote:
<quoted text>
You need a real Reality check. Texas had real Spanish and a few mexican soldiers Cross breds.
red dawn

Crosby, TX

#21 Jun 14, 2009
if it is brown flush it on down.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#22 Jun 15, 2009
EFMohammedMartinez wrote:
NOT EVEN IF THE U.S./MEXICO BORDER "WALL OF SHAME" WAS ERECTED, THIS WILL NOT KEEP OUR UNDOCUMENTED RAZA FROM FOLLOWING THE "LAW OF RETURN" WHICH THE FEBRUARY 2, 1848 TREATY OF GUADALUPE HIDALGO ASCRIBES! WE ARE INDIGENOUS TO THIS LAND,...WHITEY IS NOT! THEY ARE EUROPEAN INTERLOPERS,...PERIOD! ALSO IF HYPOTHETICALLY THE UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANTS WOULD ALL BE "DEPORTED" (WISHFUL THINKING GRINGO!), THERE ARE STILL OVER 25 MILLION (..AND EVERSO GROWING!) "ANCHOR BABIES" (US BROWN CHILDREN OF UNDOCUMENTED IMMIGRANTS) WHO ARE TURNING OF VOTING AGE AND THEIR ELDERS, WHO ARE BEGINNING TO MAKE "THE BROWNING OF AMERICA" A REALITY! IF YOU WHITE RACIST XENOPHOBES HAVE ANY DOUBTS,...JUST LOOK AROUND AND SMELL THA "FRIJOLES" (BEANS)1
I REST MY CHICANO REVOLUTIONARY CASE!
"IF IT'S A GOOD FIGHT,..I WANT TO BE IN IT!"
E.F. Mohammed Martinez
(A BROWNSVILLE NATIVE SON NOW RESIDING IN EAST L.A.)
I really wish I could meet you face to face. It would be such a joyous occasion. No more "CAPS". No more ignorance. A Chicano is nothing more than a mixture of Indigenous People (American Indian) and Spaniards. If you remembered your history as well as you think you do, you would know that Spain was an invader who originally claimed this land. We white boys kicked their asses and then were generous enough to pay them for the land. Our generosity has caused us the likes of you browns and blacks as well. And, you had better think the feminist little white ass sucks who make it possible for you and your kind to even exist in the first place. Trust me, there are a lot of really pissed off white boys out here just bidding their time waiting for the government to say "IT'S WAR".

“Go back the way you came”

Since: Oct 08

Metropolis

#23 Jun 18, 2009
Saynototheleft wrote:
<quoted text>I really wish I could meet you face to face. It would be such a joyous occasion. No more "CAPS". No more ignorance. A Chicano is nothing more than a mixture of Indigenous People (American Indian) and Spaniards. If you remembered your history as well as you think you do, you would know that Spain was an invader who originally claimed this land. We white boys kicked their asses and then were generous enough to pay them for the land. Our generosity has caused us the likes of you browns and blacks as well. And, you had better think the feminist little white ass sucks who make it possible for you and your kind to even exist in the first place. Trust me, there are a lot of really pissed off white boys out here just bidding their time waiting for the government to say "IT'S WAR".
With the imminent collapse of your economy, I laugh in your face for such a display of stupidity. What will you do with no jobs, money, government assistance? How will you pay for healthcare? Who will serve your meals? Your "really pissed off white boys" are soft and docile as sheep, as a result of their lives of luxury.

Beware the rise of the Comanche Nation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Texas at Brownsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Family sues Texas over centuries-old Spanish la... (Sep '15) Sep '15 ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 1
News Military-grade equipment on hand to protect UT ... (Oct '14) Oct '14 drama 1
News SpaceX breaks ground on Texas rocket launch site (Sep '14) Sep '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
News UTEP College of Education: Teaching program get... (Nov '13) Nov '13 JWRussell USRN 2
News Super fast Internet access coming to Valley ins... (Apr '12) Apr '12 Star 1
News Ground Troops Replaced By Aircraft On US Border (Dec '11) Dec '11 Boots On The Ground 1
News Drug war sends emotionally troubled kids to Texas (Nov '11) Nov '11 CrankyFranky 2
More from around the web