Justices to Revisit Race Issue

Justices to Revisit Race Issue

There are 52 comments on the Wall Street Journal story from Feb 22, 2012, titled Justices to Revisit Race Issue. In it, Wall Street Journal reports that:

The Supreme Court agreed Tuesday to revisit affirmative action in state-college admissions.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Wall Street Journal.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Interesting

Saint Louis, MO

#2 Feb 22, 2012
Too bad it won't be an across the board look, not only for students, but everyone!

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#3 Feb 22, 2012
If they end all Affirmative Action, for blacks, whites and everyone else, it might be okay.

And of course change application and testing processes rooted in culture from segregation that favors whites over blacks.

For instance, if the question is what is the left side of a boat called, asked in either words or pictures, left-side should be just as correct as port side. Blacks have centuries in this country of not being exposed to boating terminology.

Bush and thousands of others get into school because of the privilege associated with their families, and others get in just because they are white.

White privilege is real and is proven to be so every few years when the study is done where the similarly situated black and white are sent out to apply for apartments, housing, jobs, school, and other things.

The simarly situated white is always favored over the similarly situated black.
Dances with Wolves

Baltimore, MD

#4 Feb 22, 2012
Interesting wrote:
Too bad it won't be an across the board look, not only for students, but everyone!
Baby steps. The Supreme Court can only issue an opinion on the case before them. It will be interesting to read their opinions, which might reflect upon society "across the board" in general.

In 2012, no preferences should be given on the basis of race, for anyone. Seems to me that certain special accommodations and considerations have been given to "minorities and women" which excludes solely the "white man". While I believe that these considerations may have been helpful in the past, I would certainly like to believe that we are all in a position to acquire our goals based on our ability and not our gender or race.

Affirmative Action is just another way of demeaning certain people and implies that they aren't good enough to stand toe to toe and need special considerations because of the race or gender they were born with. I would hope that in 2012 we would have outgrown that misconception.
Dances with Wolves

Baltimore, MD

#5 Feb 22, 2012
WMCOL wrote:
I
For instance, if the question is what is the left side of a boat called, asked in either words or pictures, left-side should be just as correct as port side. Blacks have centuries in this country of not being exposed to boating terminology.
Not exactly the best example...lol Many white people, including myself, have not been exposed to boating terminology. Now, if I were to apply for a job in the boating industry, in order to qualify I would study up. I would assume that other, equally ambitious folks applying for that same job would do the same. We should not have to "dumb down" the terminology for my sake. Instead, I should be expected to learn the right terminology in order to qualify.

The above example applies to people of all races who want to work in a certain field. The employer should not have to lower the bar in order for some people to qualify. The onus should be on the applicant to learn what needs to be learned in order to qualify.

Since: Jan 12

Huntington, WV

#7 Feb 22, 2012
WMCOL wrote:
If they end all Affirmative Action, for blacks, whites and everyone else, it might be okay.
And of course change application and testing processes rooted in culture from segregation that favors whites over blacks.
Bush and thousands of others get into school because of the privilege associated with their families, and others get in just because they are white.
White privilege is real and is proven to be so every few years when the study is done where the similarly situated black and white are sent out to apply for apartments, housing, jobs, school, and other things.
We all learn in the same schools growing up.

Poor Appalachian kids aren't privileged.

“The "entitled" =communist.”

Since: May 10

MY MONEY, come take it.

#8 Feb 22, 2012
They need to revisit the "anchor baby" situation also.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#9 Feb 22, 2012
when us honkies are the new minority, will we be able to get the affirmative action bennies currently offered the blacks and mexy's?

Or, is payback for 400 years of oppression gonna kick in?

pigpen911

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#12 Feb 22, 2012
inbred Genius wrote:
when us honkies are the new minority, will we be able to get the affirmative action bennies currently offered the blacks and mexy's?
I will vote that it is #2.As much as the affirmative action helped at first it has done nothing but cause people to become lazy, they know that another person will get the job they want because of race or gender.I have been saying it for years,level the playing field. BTW:How have you been IG?

“Hillary, thirty years of lying”

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#13 Feb 22, 2012
Dances with Wolves wrote:
<quoted text>
Baby steps. The Supreme Court can only issue an opinion on the case before them. It will be interesting to read their opinions, which might reflect upon society "across the board" in general.
In 2012, no preferences should be given on the basis of race, for anyone. Seems to me that certain special accommodations and considerations have been given to "minorities and women" which excludes solely the "white man". While I believe that these considerations may have been helpful in the past, I would certainly like to believe that we are all in a position to acquire our goals based on our ability and not our gender or race.
Affirmative Action is just another way of demeaning certain people and implies that they aren't good enough to stand toe to toe and need special considerations because of the race or gender they were born with. I would hope that in 2012 we would have outgrown that misconception.
Yes and it destroys the competitive nature of individuals when they know the selection process is weighted against them.

Paris

#14 Feb 22, 2012
inbred Genius wrote:
It sure has with White Collar workers at GM. The UAW (after being given 61% of GM by Obama) now is stealing their 401's and basically attacking middle management.

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#15 Feb 22, 2012
AA is the biggest hate crime in history. The govt mandated persecution of white people based on the idea that blacks are too inferior to make it on ability. It's double racism.

Paris

#16 Feb 22, 2012
Speeders Kill Kids wrote:
AA is the biggest hate crime in history. The govt mandated persecution of white people based on the idea that blacks are too inferior to make it on ability. It's double racism.
WHAT......you mean another liberal program gone astray..........say it ain't so.
Makes sense

Dearborn, MI

#18 Feb 22, 2012
Why isn't the Supreme Court more balanced between men and women?
Free is free

Tijeras, NM

#21 Feb 22, 2012
I beg to differ. My vocabulary and knowledge of a broad array of subjects stems from the way I was raised. My parents didn't let us read junk in the bathroom; we had a dictionary in there. We were required to study the encyclopedia and give a weekly report on something we learned from it. Even today, if I hear about something I don't know about, I go study it. Why? Because I might need to know about it someday.

My parents didn't have to make us study; they chose to. As professors, they knew all too well the value of knowledge. That upbringing is what gave me the foundation for my future. Anyone with an encyclopedia set and a dictionary could have done the same thing.

IMO, it's not the race of the people that determines the outcome, it's the mindset.
WMCOL wrote:

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#22 Feb 22, 2012
Makes sense wrote:
Why isn't the Supreme Court more balanced between men and women?
The Supreme Court has three women justices, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Elena Kagan, and Sonia Sotomayor, all appointed by a Democratic president. You can conclude the rest on your own.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#23 Feb 22, 2012
Free is free wrote:
I beg to differ. My vocabulary and knowledge of a broad array of subjects stems from the way I was raised. My parents didn't let us read junk in the bathroom; we had a dictionary in there. We were required to study the encyclopedia and give a weekly report on something we learned from it. Even today, if I hear about something I don't know about, I go study it. Why? Because I might need to know about it someday.
My parents didn't have to make us study; they chose to. As professors, they knew all too well the value of knowledge. That upbringing is what gave me the foundation for my future. Anyone with an encyclopedia set and a dictionary could have done the same thing.
IMO, it's not the race of the people that determines the outcome, it's the mindset.
<quoted text>
Would that knowledge and wisdom were synonymous.
Smokin Joe Obama

Wasilla, AK

#24 Feb 22, 2012
ACORN,OCCUPY, LIB EXTREME RACISM and BIGOTRY.

Every time Obama gets around his crew like at the recent "blues" gala, all he can EVER talk about is White opression of the blacks where there was NEVER any and how their dignity was taken away when they naver had any to begin with, except tribal hodo.

WHY, Because no matter what they went though here, it was BETTER and ANYTHING Africa offered, even today!

That is why they would rather sit here on welfare then go home to Africa where I'm sure they would fit in. LOL
Smokin Joe Obama

Wasilla, AK

#25 Feb 22, 2012
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>The Supreme Court has three women justices, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Elena Kagan, and Sonia Sotomayor, all appointed by a Democratic president. You can conclude the rest on your own.
We have, it's call COMMUNISM equality!

All fantasy of the sick lib mind!
Chief of Staff

France

#26 Feb 22, 2012
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>The Supreme Court has three women justices, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Elena Kagan, and Sonia Sotomayor, all appointed by a Democratic president. You can conclude the rest on your own.
Rat Bater Gizzbug, Pa Kagan and screw you suckamayor. These three your sister and brother Larry?
Smokin Joe Obama

Wasilla, AK

#27 Feb 22, 2012
Lawrence Wolf wrote:
After WHITE MEN building with physical labor, civilization and it's infrastructure for thousands of years, The Commies get women to come in and get on the easy job gravey office train and many times they even FK that up!

How many JOKE women do we know doing jobs that they will NEVER be qualified for, in business, politics and etc,. not to mention MINORITIES.

That is why government and education is so FKed up from affirmative action hiring!!!!

Just look at girly man Obama!!! AHAHAHAHAHAH

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Texas at Austin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Surprise! Cougars Want Sex (Jul '10) Jun 16 ESOJ 18
News District 44: Gary Inmon (Dec '10) May 29 Renee 6
News New BBC documentary reveals the moment an aster... May '17 NAME 3
News If asteroid hit seconds later dinosaurs may hav... May '17 T-rex_Rules 1
News Petition for sanctuary institution gains momentum (Nov '16) May '17 Eddie 5
News Austin-San Antonio corridor is one of nation's ... Mar '17 NationsPharts 1
News Preteens who mistrust teachers less likely to r... Feb '17 Dreary Jurist Wagner 3
More from around the web