BeznaWarrior

Bucharest, Romania

#1 Nov 25, 2010
Ian Hancock is not a gypsy. He is a Romani. The difference in nomenclature is so important that Hancock, a professor of English, linguistics and Asian studies at The University of Texas at Austin since 1972, has devoted most of his adult life to dispelling ignorance about the ethnic group into which he was born.
We, the 22 milions romanians, started a petition to forbide the use of "romani" for this ethnical group because it confuse this minority ethnic group with the majority of "romanians". romani = tigani(in Romanian language)= gitano (spanish)= gypsies (english)= Zigeneur (german) etc...There is no "romani" ethnic group.There's only "romanians". They can call themselves however they want but not "romani". How about if tomorrow will want to call themeself "americaos". Wouldn't it be confusing?
BeznaWarrior

Bucharest, Romania

#2 Nov 25, 2010
I forgot to put the link of the petition
http://www.petitiononline.com/qd3xx666/petiti...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Texas at Austin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Surprise! Cougars Want Sex (Jul '10) Jun '17 ESOJ 18
News District 44: Gary Inmon (Dec '10) May '17 Renee 6
News New BBC documentary reveals the moment an aster... May '17 NAME 3
News If asteroid hit seconds later dinosaurs may hav... May '17 T-rex_Rules 1
News Petition for sanctuary institution gains momentum (Nov '16) May '17 Eddie 5
News Austin-San Antonio corridor is one of nation's ... Mar '17 NationsPharts 1
News Preteens who mistrust teachers less likely to r... Feb '17 Dreary Jurist Wagner 3
More from around the web