China builds fastest supercomputer in...

China builds fastest supercomputer in the world

There are 99 comments on the CNN story from Jun 6, 2013, titled China builds fastest supercomputer in the world. In it, CNN reports that:

China appears to have once again taken the lead from the United States in the burgeoning supercomputing wars, developing a supercomputer that is twice as fast as anything America has to offer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CNN.

lolol

Rio Rancho, NM

#22 Jun 7, 2013
freeman wrote:
<quoted text>
So, what CPU it uses? Also made in China?
nope, it is constructed using Intel processors, not quite a chinese engineered, mfg item.
It is Amazing

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

#23 Jun 7, 2013
lolol wrote:
<quoted text>
nope, it is constructed using Intel processors, not quite a chinese engineered, mfg item.
So what is the big deal in here?

The question relates more to economics of scale rather than capability.

China does in have the capability to design and manufacture many of her own microprocessors today.

EXAMPLE: China has produced a petaflops SUPERCOMPUTER using fully homegrown chips "ShenWei SW1600 processor" way back in 2011 consuming only one megawatts of power and has already started mass producing them.

Have you heard of a SUPERCOMPUTER with the size of a microwave oven, that is China as well? First in the world. So???

Germany, UK, Japan, etc which is one of the leading contender for the race for SUPERCOMPUTER also uses "Intel" and other foreign chips.

Other nations can also used Intel, AMD, etc why can't they build one?

What does the crystal ball tells us for the future?

China will stop using imported processors and will instead rely more on homegrown chips e.g. Godson microprocessors, etc. Many do not know China design and produces ion implanters up to 22nm, a technology which the Korea do not have yet.

Due to lack of FUNDING, China is already moving in to beat U.S. in exascale computing.

Ask any Chinese professors, you will be taken back by their modest responses e.g. they will says China is 20 years behind USA.

But USA professor Jack Dongarra disagreed as China new SUPERCOMPUTER is indeed 3X fastest than the world FASTEST today.

An indication of technology progress.
Indian

San Francisco, CA

#24 Jun 7, 2013
In six months all these bragging from China will stop. India is coming out with a ultrasupercomputer like the world has never seen.

Since: Nov 10

Zhengzhou, China

#25 Jun 7, 2013
Indian wrote:
This new being built right now in India will be twice a fast as China;s latest and has much more capability. China will be on its knees asking India for help soon.
very interesting.
What I type the word "jealous" is right?

well, I wish this fake Indian could type words like this, the speed is twenty or more faster than that of made in China.
They use domestic cpu, Indie4004, or add some Intel8030 to build up this the fastest computer in the world.
The mainboard , they use LianXiang123 with a H1 I/O interface. no screen, no keyboard, just a desk and chair, enough.

I guess this machine will be finished next year and can calculate 2+3=6.
it must ba able to get a great award by computer world.

Zhengzhou, China

#26 Jun 7, 2013
Indian wrote:
In six months all these bragging from China will stop. India is coming out with a ultrasupercomputer like the world has never seen.
I wish that will be suuuuu...pper^N computer.
which can get 1+2=9. very fast. just a flash.
Faith

New Baltimore, MI

#27 Jun 7, 2013
How many gooks have walked on the Moon?

Xuchang, China

#28 Jun 7, 2013
It is Amazing wrote:
<quoted text>
So what is the big deal in here?
The question relates more to economics of scale rather than capability.
China does in have the capability to design and manufacture many of her own microprocessors today.
EXAMPLE: China has produced a petaflops SUPERCOMPUTER using fully homegrown chips "ShenWei SW1600 processor" way back in 2011 consuming only one megawatts of power and has already started mass producing them.
Have you heard of a SUPERCOMPUTER with the size of a microwave oven, that is China as well? First in the world. So???
Germany, UK, Japan, etc which is one of the leading contender for the race for SUPERCOMPUTER also uses "Intel" and other foreign chips.
Other nations can also used Intel, AMD, etc why can't they build one?
What does the crystal ball tells us for the future?
China will stop using imported processors and will instead rely more on homegrown chips e.g. Godson microprocessors, etc. Many do not know China design and produces ion implanters up to 22nm, a technology which the Korea do not have yet.
Due to lack of FUNDING, China is already moving in to beat U.S. in exascale computing.
Ask any Chinese professors, you will be taken back by their modest responses e.g. they will says China is 20 years behind USA.
But USA professor Jack Dongarra disagreed as China new SUPERCOMPUTER is indeed 3X fastest than the world FASTEST today.
An indication of technology progress.
quite right.
Faith

New Baltimore, MI

#29 Jun 7, 2013
Indian wrote:
Will it keep them from starving in the filthy streets of Bombay and Calcutta?

Zhengzhou, China

#30 Jun 7, 2013
right. of cause, It would let them to live in a beautiful palace with delicious food.

it's hot day.
waiter, pass me a dish of Ice Cream.
5 cent fee for you, out there.
Fatboy

Hallstahammar, Sweden

#31 Jun 7, 2013
lolol wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct...but not entirely correct.
Here's a quote from the U.S professor in computer science...Jack Dongarra who examined the computer:

"There are number of features of the Tianhe-2 that are Chinese in origin, unique and interesting," said Dongarra, in his report. These include a proprietary interconnects, and the Galaxy FT-15, a 16-core processor. He cited the "apparent reliability and scalability" of the system as well.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/923971...
Faith

New Baltimore, MI

#32 Jun 7, 2013
...And yet, the Chinamen can't figure out to make drywall, dog food, children's toys or baby milk that isn't deadly poisonous.
idiots united

Minneapolis, MN

#33 Jun 7, 2013
Faith wrote:
<quoted text>Will it keep them from starving in the filthy streets of Bombay and Calcutta?
Maybe not so bad now but when it starts it's going to be like dominoes and domino effect. Hope the chinks and the paki eat each other and no one else.
AAA

Ipswich, UK

#34 Jun 8, 2013
Indian wrote:
And every microchips, wiring and casing will be made in China, oh, then you have keyboard, printer, mouse all made in China. Only the operator is made in India.
AAA

Ipswich, UK

#35 Jun 8, 2013
lolol wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know that the manufacturing of Intel or indeed amd and are not already outsource to the likes of tsmc?
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#36 Jun 8, 2013
computers can be dangerous. it is better to have alternative backups.
self aware computer

Hazleton, PA

#37 Jun 8, 2013
I am waiting for the self aware computers that get into war with humans like in the Terminator and Matrix movies. You better stock up on ammo because Obama has the computers spying on you now.

FaithUSA

“TUEBOR”

Since: Jul 11

Michigan

#38 Jun 8, 2013
"The spate of suicides made headlines around the world. Last May, seven young Chinese workers producing Apple iPads for consumers across the globe took their own lives.

One year on, swaths of anti-suicide netting surround the huge worker dormitories in Shenzhen. But an investigation by two NGOs reveals that many workers making iPhones and iPads for eager world markets are exploited and living a dismal life."

I am a proud Apple shareholder.

God bless America!
greedy too

Hazleton, PA

#39 Jun 8, 2013
FaithUSA wrote:
"The spate of suicides made headlines around the world. Last May, seven young Chinese workers producing Apple iPads for consumers across the globe took their own lives.
One year on, swaths of anti-suicide netting surround the huge worker dormitories in Shenzhen. But an investigation by two NGOs reveals that many workers making iPhones and iPads for eager world markets are exploited and living a dismal life."
God bless America!
I can care less if they started kidnapping Africans and put them on processor plantations. Money is money and life is too short to life it poor!
greedy too

Hazleton, PA

#40 Jun 8, 2013
^life is too short to live it poor!
AAA

Ipswich, UK

#41 Jun 8, 2013
FaithUSA wrote:
God bless America!
Me too, was a happy apple shareholder until Samsung came along.

But I can't say God bless the queen! Apparently it sounds too American and many Brits may not like it, not a good idea for UK publicity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Tennessee Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News News 1 hour ago 4:10 a.m.First-graders cuffed, ... Aug 10 Slammer 14
News Mandatory Waiting Periods Are Making Abortions ... Jul '16 ThomasA 79
News Over 30 arrested following investigation into d... (May '11) Jun '16 grimy phoxx 25
News Not everyone happy about change to $20 May '16 woodtick57 118
News Tennessee Lawmakers Consider Bill That Could Ch... Apr '16 hal 5
News Masked men wanted for a Greeneville pharmacy bu... (Sep '13) Apr '16 Lol 20
News Rep. Daniel: ISIS should be allowed to recruit ... Mar '16 Joanna 13
More from around the web