New call center could bring 1,500 job...

New call center could bring 1,500 jobs to Akron

There are 53 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Jun 17, 2009, titled New call center could bring 1,500 jobs to Akron. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

As many as 1,500 new jobs could result from the opening of a new call center in the old Firestone Bank building on Akron's South Main Street.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“I'm as Mad as Hell...”

Since: Mar 07

Your Neighbor & Friend

#1 Jun 17, 2009
Must be nice to have a personal propaganda machine behind you, Orange Boy. Saves on campaign expenses, for sure.

“Lohio Bound”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#2 Jun 17, 2009
That's what we need more of. Low paying dead end jobs with few benefits.
Bacon-Madden purchased the building for $2 from the city in 2007. The city had previously purchased it for $1 from the former Bank One.
Hey, wait a minute, that's a 100% profit!

Who sez them city folks is stoopid?
just wondering

Warren, OH

#3 Jun 17, 2009
The city dumped several hundred thousand dollars in street scape, a new parking lot, and several hundred thousand bucks in renovating the old firestone bank bldg. removing asbestos etc. what a plum gift from the donal, now he may get free phone calling service for his june 23rd recall, wonder if there are any "Call Girls" being employed? wonder who is in charge of them, maybe a certain girlfriend?
LITTLE TYREE

United States

#4 Jun 17, 2009
Melissa wouldn't work there.....and neither shall I!

That's a good place to get shot!
Norm Deplume

Medina, OH

#5 Jun 17, 2009
Scooter Moonpie wrote:
That's what we need more of. Low paying dead end jobs with few benefits.
Really?

"The company's workers will be paid $20,000 to $30,000. Mid-level managers will make $35,000 to $45,000 a year with some upper managers fetching $60,000 to $100,000 a year.

The employment will include other benefits including health care, he said."

I would think that someone who had no job would be happy to get a $20-30K job with health care.

“Don't quibble Sybil!”

Since: May 09

Trailer Park, USA

#6 Jun 17, 2009
Norm Deplume wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
"The company's workers will be paid $20,000 to $30,000. Mid-level managers will make $35,000 to $45,000 a year with some upper managers fetching $60,000 to $100,000 a year.
The employment will include other benefits including health care, he said."
I would think that someone who had no job would be happy to get a $20-30K job with health care.
I'd think so too, especially, with benefits.
just wondering

Warren, OH

#7 Jun 17, 2009
Let's see,$8/hr for 40 hrs thats $320, take home is about $275 minus gas to get there 40 minus lunch 25, so around 200 net. Why they could go a few blocks to the west and make more more in an hour selling crack. Wonder when the hoodies will arrive? These are more welfare jobs, wonder if they will get food stamps as part of the deal.
LITTLE TYREE

United States

#8 Jun 17, 2009
Maybe they will re-open the "Tasty Market"??

“I'm as Mad as Hell...”

Your Neighbor & Friend

#9 Jun 17, 2009
Few people in their right mind last a year at those McJobs to earn that 20-30 grand, Norm. Sweatshop operation. Grand ideas Don brings back from Red China.

Remember that next Tuesday, voters.
Norm Deplume

Medina, OH

#10 Jun 17, 2009
Howard Beale Jr wrote:
Few people in their right mind last a year at those McJobs to earn that 20-30 grand, Norm. Sweatshop operation. Grand ideas Don brings back from Red China.
Remember that next Tuesday, voters.
How much should they be paid for doing that work? It's at least 75 cents above the federal minimum wage. Nobody said these were great jobs, but they are jobs nonetheless. If you didn't want to use this in your war against the Mayor of Akron, you would be telling me that these uneducated punks should be happy to have jobs at all. Some people would complain about being hung with a new rope.

“I'm as Mad as Hell...”

Your Neighbor & Friend

#11 Jun 17, 2009
LITTLE TYREE wrote:
Maybe they will re-open the "Tasty Market"??
I hear Two Hung Lo applied for stimulus funds to reopen the Tasty Market and the Majestic Theater.

Tasty Market, next to Kroger's, Isaly's, SS Krasge's. Don can't bring back those good times. Not even the best of liars could.

Remember the latex company in back of the drive-thru booths where they manufactured "raincoats"? Now, those would be worthwhile jobs.

Especially given the local hoodrat "pandemic".

“I'm as Mad as Hell...”

Your Neighbor & Friend

#12 Jun 17, 2009
Norm Deplume wrote:
<quoted text>
How much should they be paid for doing that work? It's at least 75 cents above the federal minimum wage. Nobody said these were great jobs, but they are jobs nonetheless. If you didn't want to use this in your war against the Mayor of Akron, you would be telling me that these uneducated punks should be happy to have jobs at all. Some people would complain about being hung with a new rope.
Those uneducated punks make far more selling street drugs and mugging 1:30am shoppers. Why should they show up for these jobs?

Sounds like just the thing for our growing populace of young unwed mothers. This way, they don't have to pole dance nekkid for a paycheck. Well, mebbe except private dancing for a raise.

No, the hoodrats wouldn't be the least happy with these positions. Maybe as work-release. Now, there's an idea, Norm. Thanks.
just wondering

Warren, OH

#13 Jun 17, 2009
Howard Beale Jr wrote:
<quoted text>
I hear Two Hung Lo applied for stimulus funds to reopen the Tasty Market and the Majestic Theater.
Tasty Market, next to Kroger's, Isaly's, SS Krasge's. Don can't bring back those good times. Not even the best of liars could.
Remember the latex company in back of the drive-thru booths where they manufactured "raincoats"? Now, those would be worthwhile jobs.
Especially given the local hoodrat "pandemic".
Where was the tasty market located?

“I'm as Mad as Hell...”

Your Neighbor & Friend

#14 Jun 17, 2009
PS: The Don and Team Sponge must really believe Akronites are stupid to swallow all this contrived propaganda over the last week.

Show him just how "stupid" next Tuesday.
Norm Deplume

Medina, OH

#15 Jun 17, 2009
Howard Beale Jr wrote:
<quoted text>
Those uneducated punks make far more selling street drugs and mugging 1:30am shoppers. Why should they show up for these jobs?
Sounds like just the thing for our growing populace of young unwed mothers. This way, they don't have to pole dance nekkid for a paycheck. Well, mebbe except private dancing for a raise.
No, the hoodrats wouldn't be the least happy with these positions. Maybe as work-release. Now, there's an idea, Norm. Thanks.
So what should the minimum wage be, Howard? Is that the mayor's fault too?

Even your hero thinks this is a good thing, "Warner Mendenhall, who is leading an effort to recall Plusquellic in a special election to be held Tuesday, said the announcement of additional jobs in the city is good news.'I think it's great,' Mendenhall said.'Anything that brings jobs to Akron is good.'"

You really sound irrational complaining about new jobs coming to Akron.

“I'm as Mad as Hell...”

Your Neighbor & Friend

#16 Jun 17, 2009
just wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Where was the tasty market located?
West side of South Main, a few stores north of Miller Avenue. Just looked 'em up in an old city directory: 1098 South Main. Check it out (Akr/Summit Co Library website). It was a hoppin' area up through the early 1960s. On the side of the building as you turn Old Main onto Ira, you can still see the old painted Parasson's restaurant sign.

Main used to go directly across the tracks (before even MY time) until ol' Harvey Sr. built the bridge at the current location up by the Saalfield building.

Since: May 09

Northfield

#17 Jun 17, 2009
Norm Deplume wrote:
<quoted text>
Even your hero thinks this is a good thing, "Warner Mendenhall, who is leading an effort to recall Plusquellic in a special election to be held Tuesday, said the announcement of additional jobs in the city is good news.'I think it's great,' Mendenhall said.'Anything that brings jobs to Akron is good.'"
I know alot of people who would be happy to have a job.

“I'm as Mad as Hell...”

Your Neighbor & Friend

#18 Jun 17, 2009
Norm Deplume wrote:
<quoted text>
Got me wrong, sailor. Mendy's not my hero. He's not the issue. If the vote was to oust the Sponge for Mendy, I'd vote no.

The fault here lies as much with an ignorant and apathetic public as it does the parasites that have commandeered public office throughout NE Ohio. Joe Sixpack has become all too accustomed to letting politicians and the media make his decisions and do the thinking for him.

I'm all for the recall effort, but, at the same time, the recall serves to prove my point. CrAkronites may have finally awoken, just maybe too late for their own good.

And I can complain about anything, whippersnapper! As for being irrational, Dame Van Beale heartily agrees with you.

Love ya.
LITTLE TYREE

United States

#19 Jun 17, 2009
Howard Beale Jr wrote:
<quoted text>
West side of South Main, a few stores north of Miller Avenue. Just looked 'em up in an old city directory: 1098 South Main. Check it out (Akr/Summit Co Library website). It was a hoppin' area up through the early 1960s. On the side of the building as you turn Old Main onto Ira, you can still see the old painted Parasson's restaurant sign.
Main used to go directly across the tracks (before even MY time) until ol' Harvey Sr. built the bridge at the current location up by the Saalfield building.
Wasn't "Noble" shoes next to Tasty Market?
Norm Deplume

Medina, OH

#20 Jun 17, 2009
Howard Beale Jr wrote:
<quoted text>
Got me wrong, sailor. Mendy's not my hero. He's not the issue. If the vote was to oust the Sponge for Mendy, I'd vote no.
The fault here lies as much with an ignorant and apathetic public as it does the parasites that have commandeered public office throughout NE Ohio. Joe Sixpack has become all too accustomed to letting politicians and the media make his decisions and do the thinking for him.
I'm all for the recall effort, but, at the same time, the recall serves to prove my point. CrAkronites may have finally awoken, just maybe too late for their own good.
And I can complain about anything, whippersnapper! As for being irrational, Dame Van Beale heartily agrees with you.
Love ya.
Nice job avoiding the questions. Typical.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Southern Mississippi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Leslie Criss: Ryan's Well opera singer living l... Apr '15 Ole Miss Daddy 2
News More Mar '15 oyster-season 1
News Educators Connect Conference to feature innovat... Feb '15 freethinkradio do... 1
News Southern miss jazz and blues festival Feb '15 Monty 1
News Battle of the Bay: Bay Middle time travels to t... (Nov '14) Nov '14 awesome 1
News Petal school superintendent named (May '14) May '14 jason 1
News USM Gulf Park lecture features renowned marine ... (Apr '14) Apr '14 450lb-gator PassC... 1
More from around the web