Does the NAACP still matter?

Does the NAACP still matter?

There are 13 comments on the jacksonville.com story from Feb 26, 2009, titled Does the NAACP still matter?. In it, jacksonville.com reports that:

Rodney Hurst likes to quote his mentor, Rutledge Pearson, who served as president of the Jacksonville branch of the NAACP in the 1960s: "The organization works to put itself out of business." Today there are people who think that day may have come.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at jacksonville.com.

Since: Jul 07

Jacksonville, FL

#1 Feb 26, 2009
I'm gonna go with a big fat NO!

“the doctor is in the house”

Since: May 08

jacksonville florida

#2 Feb 26, 2009
never did!

“one foot over the line”

cans a sh!tty m!ssery

#3 Feb 26, 2009
It does if you are black and have an agenda.... If not, NO!!!

Since: Feb 09

Savannah, GA

#4 Feb 26, 2009
It matters to Corrine Brown and Slim!

“the doctor is in the house”

Since: May 08

jacksonville florida

#5 Feb 26, 2009
cletus ross wrote:
It does if you are black and have an agenda.... If not, NO!!!
cletus my man! how you be?

“The Head Ape in Charge”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#6 Feb 26, 2009
bobbiegurl wrote:
It matters to Corrine Brown and Slim!
Yeah and it matter as much as they do as well. Not at all....

“3 words changed my life ”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#7 Feb 26, 2009
they havent mattered for 20 years now. you cannot demand equality while at the same time practicing self-segregation.

“one foot over the line”

cans a sh!tty m!ssery

#8 Mar 1, 2009
I have been ,ICW.... There is currently an insurection (sp?) on the "home" front. This may be one battle I will retreat from, lick my wounds, and catch some single-life R&R in a new foxhole...
ABM

Jacksonville Beach, FL

#9 Mar 1, 2009
scott1 wrote:
they havent mattered for 20 years now. you cannot demand equality while at the same time practicing self-segregation.
Nice point, the NAACP became irrelevant in the late 60"s a few years after the Civil Rights amendment was passed.

“Smite that white!”

Since: Feb 09

Jacksonville, Fl

#10 Mar 1, 2009
ABM wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice point, the NAACP became irrelevant in the late 60"s a few years after the Civil Rights amendment was passed.
Sir,

There are many issues that face the Negro community today that the white majority have shown they don't have the interest or time to assess. Examples would be discrimination in hiring and housing, plight of inner city schools, disparity in our courts, police violence against minorities, etc. Just to name a few.

These issues didn't magically disappear with the Civil Rights Act. They were embedded into our institutions and will take work to root out.

Until the interests of every Negro are fought for and protected by the white majority who run this country, the NAACP and others like it will always have a place.

They give a voice to those who don't have one.
howbout

Jacksonville, FL

#12 Mar 1, 2009
Conscious_Colonel wrote:
<quoted text>
Sir,
There are many issues that face the Negro community today that the white majority have shown they don't have the interest or time to assess. Examples would be discrimination in hiring and housing, plight of inner city schools, disparity in our courts, police violence against minorities, etc. Just to name a few.
These issues didn't magically disappear with the Civil Rights Act. They were embedded into our institutions and will take work to root out.
Until the interests of every Negro are fought for and protected by the white majority who run this country, the NAACP and others like it will always have a place.
Conscious Colonel?!?

Don't you mean Chicken Fried Colonel?

“Reagan Conservative”

Since: Jan 08

Jacksonville, FL

#14 Mar 1, 2009
Conscious_Colonel wrote:
<quoted text>
Sir,
How many of these STUPID names
are you going to call yourself slim???
have TURD will travel should be your topix name!!!

“3 words changed my life ”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#16 Mar 1, 2009
Houndog wrote:
<quoted text>
How many of these STUPID names
are you going to call yourself slim???
have TURD will travel should be your topix name!!!
"whitey" keeps shutting slim down!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of North Florida Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Poll shows most would support 'small' tax incre... Feb '17 Predator Harm In ... 1
News The Latest: Clinton aide says Christie should q... (Nov '16) Nov '16 Clinton Aide Give... 2
News The Latest: Stars fete Clinton; Trump says he f... (Nov '16) Nov '16 Eleese Renee 1
News Obama Begs Unenthusiastic Black People To Vote ... (Nov '16) Nov '16 TRUMP WINNERS 6
News Candidates qualify for local elections; write-i... (Jun '16) Jul '16 Truth be Told 2
Womens Soccer Coach Mike Munch (Dec '08) Nov '15 13yroldgurl 9
News UNF to ban smoking on campus (Jul '15) Jul '15 I ban because I can 1
More from around the web