Children Who Get Spanked Have Lower IQs

Sep 24, 2009 Full story: news.yahoo.com 41

Spanking can get kids to behave in a hurry, but new research suggests it can do more harm than good to their noggins.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“The Female Guest”

Since: Jan 09

Paragould, AR

#1 Sep 24, 2009
This should be good... is it true?

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#2 Sep 24, 2009
they also have better manners
whatever

Paragould, AR

#3 Sep 24, 2009
BS..what a load of crap..kids need spanked when its necessary. not abused, spanked.
Twisted

Santa Clara, CA

#4 Sep 24, 2009
This kinda goes without saying, if they were smarter they wouldn't need to be spanked.
whatever

Paragould, AR

#5 Sep 24, 2009
so if u have a stupid kid, u should spank them cuz their not smart?
not

Blytheville, AR

#6 Sep 24, 2009
untrue. My niece who is now 21 years old had more spankings as a child because she was sooooooo stubborn. She is one of the smartest people I know. Just graduated from Vanderbilt University. So that theory does not hold true. At least in her case it didn't.
guest1

United States

#7 Sep 24, 2009
So, obviously whoever started this thread got spanked- A LOT!!!!! Freakin hilarious and entertaining to say the least.
dontbplain

United States

#8 Sep 24, 2009
I have children and they've all gotten spanked a time or few, they all have strait A's, 2 are in college with full scholarships and one is a senior in high school and already has a full scholarship when he graduates.You should only punish for sinful acts not because they make you mad, God wants us to teach our children that with sinful acts comes punishment, with mistakes comes forgiveness and lessons learned.Jesus paid the ultimate price for our freedom, but some parents let the ability to control a child become an addiction to power. and they take the holy spirit out of the home because they take away all freedom from the child and it then becomes A place of bondage, the first chance of real escape from that bondage will 90% of the time lead to rebelion, as did the children of Isreal.You can't have more spanking than love or more love then punishment it has to be ballanced.I'm a firm believer in spanking, the problem with the schools today is they took out capital punishment.without conciquences you have no control.When we heard prayer in schools we did'nt hear gunshots.
little gay boi

United States

#9 Sep 24, 2009
if this were true, I would have an IQ of 50? maybe 60?
Waffles

Lonoke, AR

#10 Sep 24, 2009
I'm not buying this either. I don't believe in physical discipline and certainly not in the God wants us to do x shit, since I'm an atheist, but it is necessary, by some means, to teach your child the rules of civilization. If you believe in spanking, so long as it isn't excessive and it's done to discourage an inappropriate behavior, I fail to see it causing lower IQ's, maybe lower test scores, as a result of rebellion, but IQ tests are a very poor and archaic way to measure intelligence, anyway.

“Gray Wolf Club”

Since: Dec 07

Hog Thief Valley, Arkansas

#11 Sep 25, 2009
little gay boi wrote:
If that were true my IQ would not even show up on the radar. After all these years my arse still hurts, lol.
bump

Walls, MS

#12 Sep 25, 2009
Caint be tru my fothar woped me ever day i smart as you er.

“The Female Guest”

Since: Jan 09

Paragould, AR

#13 Sep 25, 2009
guest1 wrote:
So, obviously whoever started this thread got spanked- A LOT!!!!! Freakin hilarious and entertaining to say the least.
I'm glad you find it entertaining. Cause actually, my mother did beat the shit out of me almost daily. I was hit with her fists, kicked with her legs, and beat with anything in her arms reach.

However, I don't think it has any affect on IQ's. I actually score fairly high on IQ tests. But thanks for your concern, and humor regarding my life.
tell me

United States

#14 Sep 25, 2009
lol please i have to spank my 8 yr old sometimes b/c he is too smart and he is a smart ass but he makes straight a's lol dont tell anyone lol but i think he is smarter than me i mean we talk polotics he wanted hilary to win through a fit when she got knocked out of the running and well he gets a spanking like maybe 3 times a month just some kids are more stubburn than others doest have anything to do with IQ i myself hated authority and got beat the shit out of for it i learned to obey and i think i am pretty smart so what the hell
jessy

Paragould, AR

#15 Sep 25, 2009
Last 30 years = many more people who don't spank = much more kids with ADD.

Warm that buttt up and there will be much less problems.
lol

United States

#16 Sep 25, 2009
their your kids, if you want to beat their ass, that should be up to you.
tell me

United States

#17 Sep 25, 2009
my son does have adhd and i do spank him he was off of the meds for a long time the spankings did not work it seemed that i was fighting a loosing battle he could not pay attention i seen him try he could not when ur child can get distracted by a freakn fly or the noise that the ac unit makes a spanking will not work however he is on a new med and this helps him so much i am glad that he now can do his school work and seems to fit in with other kids there is no need for a child to hate school cause he is different and u wont give him meds now my son is a teachers pet last year he was suspanded 2 times and he was 7 what the hell i mean it really makes a difference and yes i took his tv away i took his radio away i took the pc away the phone anything he liked and i did spank him it did no good so ADHD IS REAL i know that it gets diagnosed alot and some kids dont have it i am a firm believer that my son does and his life would be verry sad and difficult if he did not have his meds i love my child that is why i spank him i love him that is why i give him his meds u know there are alot of young parents who think it is kool to have little kids and treat them as adults i mean grow up u be the damn parent and maybe the youth of america will change right now i look at the youth and it disgust
Hunter

AOL

#18 Sep 25, 2009
little gay boi wrote:
You probably enjoyed your spankings.
Bucky

Paragould, AR

#19 Sep 25, 2009
dontbplain wrote:
I'm a firm believer in spanking, the problem with the schools today is they took out capital punishment.without conciquences you have no control.When we heard prayer in schools we did'nt hear gunshots.
I'm just so grateful that the schools have taken away "capital punishment". I think having to resort to "Ol Sparky" is a little too harsh for chewing gum while in class.

I do believe though, in all seriousness, that you actually mean corporal punishment. And there still is corporal punishment in Arkansas schools, at least Greene County. I had to sign a waiver that I wouldn't allow the school to spank my child.

“The Turdblossom of Topix”

Since: Dec 08

Paragould

#20 Sep 25, 2009
I was always told "I'll knock some sense into you" or "I'll make you think". Little did I know it was doing the opposite.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of New Hampshire Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Whites the new minority in America by 2044 8 hr fedupwiththemess 95
Students speak: Celebrating Christmas as an ath... Dec '14 hey 12
Nervous returning to school Dec '14 Don1981 1
ICC: No action on Israeli storming of aid boat. Nov '14 Rick Moss 5
Ohio teen returns to football team after rape case Aug '14 Star On 47 2
Scott Brown closing in on Jeanne Shaheen in New... Aug '14 Cat74 7
LHS grad wins pageant crown Aug '14 Bob 2
More from around the web