Threat and Politics: Are Political Vi...

Threat and Politics: Are Political Views Rooted in Biology?

There are 198 comments on the www.sciencentral.com story from Oct 31, 2008, titled Threat and Politics: Are Political Views Rooted in Biology? . In it, www.sciencentral.com reports that:

New research has found that people with strong opposing political views might also have very different physical responses to threat.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.sciencentral.com.

Halito

Las Vegas, NV

#22 Nov 1, 2008
fake tics suck blood....
Halito

Las Vegas, NV

#23 Nov 1, 2008
You have to get the plastic ones out that claim you blood inheritance...
heartless

United States

#24 Nov 1, 2008
I've been looking for you. And I totally agree with your views on fear. It is a powerful emotion which can distort your vision and it can disguise itself as other emotions which lead to more fear and distrust. Some circle, huh? ALWAYS consider the source!
J Barrett Wolf wrote:
<quoted text>
Perfect.
A 'Threat response' reaction to the article about threat responses.
The article is not even a slightly new idea if you have been paying attention to the posts.
If you buy into the fear being sold you go one way - if you don't you go the other... the specifics are fairly unimportant.
It doesn't matter if there WERE WMDs... for some folks perceived threat is threat, pure and simple and intellectual rejoinder is, for the most part, irrelevant.
That's why fear works until people begin to doubt the source or the validity of the claims. And even they there will be 9 - 13%(What are Bush's numbers, again?) who'll be unmoved from their position under the bed.
heartless

United States

#25 Nov 1, 2008
Disagree. The New World Order is not Obama's idea ..And no one can be forced to take drugs unless they choose to. What kind of thinking is this . These FEAR tactics?? I'm disgusted to even read them and yet here I am responding..I'm outta here!
MSO4 wrote:
And the next step will be drugs given to those that do not share your views. Obama is getting a headstart on his New World Order.

Since: Jul 07

Canada

#26 Nov 1, 2008
heartless wrote:
Disagree. The New World Order is not Obama's idea ..And no one can be forced to take drugs unless they choose to. What kind of thinking is this . These FEAR tactics?? I'm disgusted to even read them and yet here I am responding..I'm outta here!<quoted text>
ADD medication is constantly forced upon kids, this is common knowledge
Obama 08

Kahuku, HI

#28 Nov 1, 2008
This is old news. Scientists already knew that conservatives are living in overwhelming fear, a threat response system stuck in overdrive. They're unable to physically tell the difference between a murderer in the living room pointing a gun at them, and a gay person getting married in another state, so they give the same reaction to both.

Since: Sep 07

Location hidden

#29 Nov 1, 2008
jrm6699 wrote:
<quoted text>
ADD medication is constantly forced upon kids, this is common knowledge
So is cold medicine and allergy medicine.
Parents have control over those issues.
I have been a foster parent and have had kids taken off medication they don't need. It takes some time for the therapists to trust you, but if you're going to oppose their decisions you should have a good relationship with the professional who gives your kid the prescription, they need to believe you have a grasp of the situation.
Kaili

United States

#30 Nov 1, 2008
ucantbsrius wrote:
<quoted text>So is cold medicine and allergy medicine.
Parents have control over those issues.
I have been a foster parent and have had kids taken off medication they don't need. It takes some time for the therapists to trust you, but if you're going to oppose their decisions you should have a good relationship with the professional who gives your kid the prescription, they need to believe you have a grasp of the situation.
I agree with you.
No one is "forcing" any kid to take meds here.
I am a mother of a 3 year old,if I don't want her to take a medicine,am uncomfortable with it for some reason,she doesn't take it,case closed.
Any person or parent who thinks anyone can "force"
medicine on their kid needs to realize that is not true.If you are not comfortable putting your child on a medicine ,by all means don't do it.

Since: Jun 07

United States

#32 Nov 1, 2008
Halito wrote:
<quoted text>At one time gay meant you were happy... Where does that word gay come from?
"The primary job of the propagandist is to change the
meaning of words." - Vladimir Lenin

I think the [email protected] did that.
Obama 08

Kahuku, HI

#33 Nov 1, 2008
Concerned U S Citizen wrote:
Obama's Aunt Living in US Illegally - In PUBLIC HOUSING
Obama's aunty is living in the US ILLEGALLY, in a PUBLIC HOUSING facility, in Boston, MA.
And this ILLEGAL ALIEN, living in PUBLIC HOUSING, CONTRIBUTED to a U.S. presidential campaigning.
Maybe she just forgot to read about the necessary qualifications listed on the OBAMA CAMPAIGN WEBSITE!
TELL ME MORE ABOUT SPREADING THE WEALTH!
Detailed article here:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/u...
This story was broken by the Times of London, NOT U.S. MEDIA!
What does this have to do with Obama? Are you accusing him of smuggling his aunt into the United States? If he'd done that, wouldn't she be living in better conditions? She doesn't even live anywhere near Chicago. He never even met her until 1988.

Since: Jul 08

United States

#36 Nov 1, 2008
Concerned U S Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Please...the woman went to Obama's swearing in the same year she had an asylum hearing pending and Obama knew nothing about this? The same aunt who was featured in his 'Dreams From My Father', who guided him through Kenya when he went to "settle his inheritance." Obama is caught again, and now his media allies are spinning...spinning...and spinning.
Caught doing what? If you think this is going to change the outcome of the election, you are delusional. Practice saying it with me: President Barack Hussein Obama.
Maxedout

Columbus, OH

#37 Nov 1, 2008

Remember that Rev. Wright speech that was broadcast live on CNN? I think it was back in May?

At one point in the speech he said that whites use the right side of the brain for stuff, while blacks use the left side for stuff, or vice virsa.

If what he said is true, then perhaps whites use the right side for political thought while blacks use the left side.

Perhaps Obama can use some of the 600 million+ dollars he has raised in his campaign to pay for a group of neurologists to study this possibility.
heartless

United States

#38 Nov 1, 2008
Parents have to approve treatment of any kind for their children. No medicine, ADD, or otherwise can be forced upon kids unless their parents approve and ask for it...
jrm6699 wrote:
<quoted text>
ADD medication is constantly forced upon kids, this is common knowledge
Obama 08

Kahuku, HI

#39 Nov 1, 2008
Concerned U S Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Please...the woman went to Obama's swearing in the same year she had an asylum hearing pending and Obama knew nothing about this? The same aunt who was featured in his 'Dreams From My Father', who guided him through Kenya when he went to "settle his inheritance." Obama is caught again, and now his media allies are spinning...spinning...and spinning.
Then you can show us some evidence that he smuggled her in, right? Let's see it.

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#40 Nov 1, 2008
Concerned U S Citizen wrote:
WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!
All You Need To Know about Barack 'Hussein' Obama
http://www.dontvoteobama.net/
http://theobamafile.com/obamaislam.htm
Right.

Because nobody has seen these pristine, unvisited,
fact-laden websites before you brought them to our attention.

Been there, junked that.

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#41 Nov 1, 2008
Registered Republican wrote:
<quoted text>
If it is in the genes, where do you think Palin got her stupid genetics?
In a much cleaner pool than yours obviously.
Using that tired republican gone socialist schtick is no longer working.
So let me get this straight; you are for the liberal new speak? You agree that infanticide is really just choice, that welfare is a tax break, that being a Marxist is patriotic.
Nice.

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#42 Nov 1, 2008
Obama 08 wrote:
<quoted text>
What does this have to do with Obama? Are you accusing him of smuggling his aunt into the United States? If he'd done that, wouldn't she be living in better conditions? She doesn't even live anywhere near Chicago. He never even met her until 1988.
Yeah he was only 28 and can't be held responsible. Or was it 8? Or maybe he thought she was rehabilitated. He has told so many lies,I can't keep them apart any more.
$250,000 is really $200,000, which is really $150,000 which evidently is actually $120,000 which might actually be $41,600.
Go ahead and watch what happens should this Marxist get elected. It will take two years to dump congress and then we'll have ten years of republican mishandling again.
The Libertarians are too nuts for me, maybe I'll look into the Constitution Party.
Think about it

United States

#43 Nov 1, 2008
I think conservatives are the dumb fear mongering ones.

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#44 Nov 1, 2008
windbag wrote:
<quoted text>
In a much cleaner pool than yours obviously.
Using that tired republican gone socialist schtick is no longer working.
So let me get this straight; you are for the liberal new speak? You agree that infanticide is really just choice, that welfare is a tax break, that being a Marxist is patriotic.
Nice.
You define terms to your liking to make these false comparisons.

An ACTUAL definition of Marxism is:
The system of socialism of which the dominant feature is public ownership of the means of production, distribution, and exchange.

Your congress just engaged in classical Marxism and gave the money to banks and insurance companies. Approved by both houses, signed by a Republican President.

Whoops. Marxism is patriotism.

Day is night. Poverty is wealth. McCain is change.

Newspeak.
An Ogre in El Paso

Brownsville, TX

#45 Nov 1, 2008
MSO4 wrote:
And the next step will be drugs given to those that do not share your views. Obama is getting a headstart on his New World Order.
Drugs?? How dare you imply that the Messiah is gonna have to drug you in order to see things his way!! He and Bill Ayers are gonna go the more compassionate route -- re-education camps and gulags...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Nebraska Lincoln Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 13-year-old earns full ride offer after perfect... Sep '16 Wicked Nasty Coach 2
News Jacy Lewis - Bio (Sep '15) Sep '15 Snuffy 2
News College graduate pays parking tickets over 40 y... (Sep '15) Sep '15 DILF 3
News International students have hard time adapting ... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Tang 10
News Nebraskan convicted in hate crime hoax a no-sho... (Jan '15) Jan '15 wade 9
News State Auditor Questions University Of Nebraska ... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Voting Taxpayer 1
Nebraska Coach (Dec '14) Dec '14 topel 1
More from around the web