Scientology turns the tables on newsp...

Scientology turns the tables on newspaper

There are 11 comments on the The Washington Post story from Feb 22, 2010, titled Scientology turns the tables on newspaper. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

After decades of digging into the Church of Scientology, reporters and editors at the St. Petersburg Times are accustomed to being denounced by its leaders.

But they find it unsettling that three veteran journalists -- a Pulitzer Prize winner, a former '60 Minutes' producer, and the former executive director of Investigative Reporters and Editors -- are taking the church's money to examine the paper's conduct.

While the journalists have promised an independent review, the Times has refused to cooperate, saying their work will be used to fuel the church's ongoing campaign against the Florida paper.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

Red Barber

Markham, IL

#1 Feb 22, 2010
Scientology just bullying with its Fair Game Practices against a Critic.
I doubt the report the cult paid for will see the light of day.
all the Journalist were paid by the cult,scientology attacks it's critics by any means necessary,the cult is loosing members faster than it can recruit new members,there will be a day in this decade when people will Joke ,,remember that kooky cult?
Scientology is a Joke ,the only one not getting the Joke are Scientoligists.
with the Cults power base dwindling their Criminal past haunting them its only mater of time before Hubbards house of cards comes tumbling down.

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#2 Feb 22, 2010
While I am lothe to support Scientology, I find it humerous that a newspaper is upset that someone is investigating the newspaper. After all, the paper pays people to dig up (or make up) dirt on others. Now the paper doesn't want to cooperate in an investigation. Whatever happend to "information wants to be free," and the publics right to know?

“Slick | Just Bill”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#3 Feb 22, 2010
NiteClerk wrote:
While I am lothe to support Scientology, I find it humerous that a newspaper is upset that someone is investigating the newspaper. After all, the paper pays people to dig up (or make up) dirt on others. Now the paper doesn't want to cooperate in an investigation. Whatever happend to "information wants to be free," and the publics right to know?
You don't seem to be following this very well. There is, you might say, a battle between the St. Pete Times and the Church of Scientology. The Church of Scientology is trying to intimidate the newspaper, as well as dig up dirt -- and you think the paper should "cooperate" with this attack against themselves? That would be silly.

As for "the public's right to know", what does that have to do with anything? The "public" isn't involved in this at all. Besides, the newspaper is publishing what they have, the church, nothing yet.

“CO$ sucks and DM swallows!”

Since: Nov 08

Saddle Brook, NJ

#4 Feb 22, 2010
NiteClerk wrote:
Nice try, troll, but you slipped up, or should I say your Freudian slip is showing. REAL papers don't 'make up' dirt. REAL papers leave that to rags like Weekly World Report and Freedom Magazine. Also, pulling out the old chestnut of 'while I am loathe (note proper spelling) to support' smells to high heavens. Trust me, the SP Times would have no problem with an honest investigation, and I don't blame them for wanting no part of what amounts to a witch hunt. I wonder how Freedom Magazine would cooperate with an investigation by former members? Hmm...
emldubu

Lynnwood, WA

#5 Feb 25, 2010
Mad Dog 54 wrote:
<quoted text>Nice try, troll, but you slipped up, or should I say your Freudian slip is showing. REAL papers don't 'make up' dirt. REAL papers leave that to rags like Weekly World Report and Freedom Magazine. Also, pulling out the old chestnut of 'while I am loathe (note proper spelling) to support' smells to high heavens. Trust me, the SP Times would have no problem with an honest investigation, and I don't blame them for wanting no part of what amounts to a witch hunt. I wonder how Freedom Magazine would cooperate with an investigation by former members? Hmm...
Good one, Mad Dog 54. smack!
Erica

South Africa

#6 Feb 26, 2010
What is worrisome is that one of the journalists admits that he needs the money.
Scientology knows the money money button very well & the tail of the dog being the journalists can end up nodding with the Scientology head.
Money talks very loud despite all the supposed ethics & integrity that can be sprouted.
all the latest

Largo, FL

#7 Feb 26, 2010
A note was found in a cookie jar belonging to Old Mother Hubbard that she suspected her son Lafayette of being gay once she caught a glimpse of him giving head to a confidant of Scientology in a barn in the back of the Hubbard household.

Since: Oct 08

none

#8 Mar 1, 2010
Isn't this what they did to the IRS?

“Slick | Just Bill”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#9 Mar 2, 2010
A Watcher wrote:
Isn't this what they did to the IRS?
No. What the Church of Scientology did to the IRS was much more extensive and much worse. They orchestrated thousands of lawsuits against the IRS and privately investigated all the top officials for blackmail material. Much worse.

This time it was a "loud and well publicized" investigation for intimidation only.

They can't release the investigation, because it wouldn't have been at all negative, but they are hoping to discredit the newspaper just by the fact that they were "investigated". That hasn't happened, but the "investigators" were cheep to buy so it didn't cost the church much.
realism

Largo, FL

#10 Mar 2, 2010
Rev. Jim Jones and Lafayette Ron Hubbard ....... one in the same.
Karl E Kempe

Williamson, NY

#11 Aug 2, 2013
Leon Harrison is a Scientologist I hear.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Missouri Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Aug. 11 Police Reports Aug 13 jones 1
News Why is violent crime so rare in Iceland (May '13) Jul '15 Jaywalker 13
News Missouri State Highway Patrol Troop B Promotions (Jul '10) Jun '15 Jody 15
News Alzheimer's disease linked to high blood sugar;... May '15 Nathan 1
News Chaffee music program gets recognition from Mizzou Mar '15 brandie 1
News Next semester, some journalism students will be... Mar '15 Mike Elliott - Ca... 1
News Study: Girls rule, boys drool (Feb '15) Feb '15 Sebastian 1
More from around the web