In-State Tuition for Undocumented Stu...

In-State Tuition for Undocumented Students: Not Quite Yet

There are 11 comments on the chronicle.com story from May 8, 2009, titled In-State Tuition for Undocumented Students: Not Quite Yet. In it, chronicle.com reports that:

Members of Congress are gearing up for a battle over educational benefits for undocumented students.

At issue is the Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors, or Dream, Act, which would allow states to charge illegal immigrants in-state tuition and would provide a multistep path to citizenship for some residents who were brought to the United States illegally as children.

Supporters say the bill, which was introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate on March 26, is the fairest way to deal with undocumented students and would strengthen the economy by creating a more educated work force. Opponents say it would reward bad behavior, fueling further waves of illegal immigration.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at chronicle.com.

Dream Act 2009

Miami, FL

#1 May 8, 2009
fully suport this dream act 2009!!...
Nitemare 2009

Littleton, CO

#2 May 8, 2009
And I am 100% against it. It's a dream for illegal aliens and their families and another
nitemare for U.S.Citizens and taxpayers!

“Illegals are not immigrants...”

Since: Apr 07

Mid-south, USA

#6 May 9, 2009
This is unconscionable. Americans are losing their jobs and homes left and right, while illegals are draining our free social services system, that by the way, Americans are forced to fund. Now, our out of touch government expects us to give illegals special dispensations for advanced educations. What crap...when are these whiners and takers ever going to become personally responsible for themselves and their far too many children? As far as their educations go, we have already funded K-12, medicated them, incarcerated them and supported them, while illegals sent billions of untaxed remittances out of this country. No more...we're done with this crap...send the dreamers packing to their countries of origin to demand that it educate its own. Rewarding the children of the lawless is not the answer. Enforce the laws on the books, and end birthright citizenship. I'm tired of the incessant jibber jabber where ever I go...illegals don't want citizenship, because if they did, they'd have entered this country following our rule of law. They want hand-outs, plain and simple.
Dallas

Littleton, CO

#7 May 9, 2009
Unbelievable. We the taxpayers pay for everything
now. Why do we work hard to pay for illegals? If I wanted to support them, I'd adopt them!

“Assimilate & Speak English!”

Since: Jan 07

Lansing, IL - now: Pomp Bch FL

#8 May 9, 2009
Dream Act 2009 wrote:
fully suport this dream act 2009!!...
They can have their *dream* in their own countries. We're tapped out and sick of the illegal alien scum*bag invaders.

No DREAM Act!
BOBO

Lombard, IL

#11 May 13, 2009
Rebel wrote:
<quoted text>
They can have their *dream* in their own countries. We're tapped out and sick of the illegal alien scum*bag invaders.
No DREAM Act!
Well if you are not a Native American Indian you are an illegal alien invader too.
Dream Act 2009

Cordova, TN

#12 May 13, 2009
Dallas wrote:
Unbelievable. We the taxpayers pay for everything
now. Why do we work hard to pay for illegals? If I wanted to support them, I'd adopt them!
well, here we are talking abt dream act not immgration reform. for your knoledge this dream act will help the students whoes being raise here and came here as kids and grew up.its for their furture education. they are brilliont students and i belive its not their fault to being illegal bc of their parents broght here. i againts any kind of immigration reforme but i suport the dream act for students and kids whoes just like one of us. only their fault is they're parents made wrong decision and i dont belive that they schold get penalize for that.i think we schold all look dream act diffrent then immigration reforem. i think now is the time to get tax money back that we have already spent on them.

#13 May 17, 2009
BOBO wrote:
<quoted text>
Well if you are not a Native American Indian you are an illegal alien invader too.
Bzzzt! Wrong!

Just what are you basing that on? Your own ignorant views of history?

To begin with, even Native American Indians came from somewhere else -- they immigrated here. To end with, they have information now that points to a white European actually being the first person on this land (see: Kennewick Man).

However, none of that counts or matters anymore, because we're in the year 2009 and it would help you if you'd join us in the here and now!

To go back a bit, though, you might want to consider the following:

When explorers came to this land, there were no immigration laws in place. That is how things were done. People explored lands and conquered them. The Native American Indians even did that to each other -- conquered other tribes, took land, women, etc.

Later, after the land was settled, immigration laws, rules, regulations, etc. were put into place. People came through legal ports of entry such as Ellis Island. When people follow the rules and laws in place at that time, that means they came LEGALLY. If one follows the laws and comes legally, they cannot be and are not an illegal alien.

Ellis Island (and other legal ports of entry) were not one big party, and they were not a guarantee of getting in here and being allowed to stay.

#14 May 17, 2009
Cont'd from above...

The immigrants had to pay to get on the ship, and they had to be on the manifest when the ship landed. That is what was considered documented, back then. They were also made to provide IDs to prove who they were -- read my links, below. Undocumented -- not!

They were required to live in not very nice conditions for long periods of time, while they were processed, learned English, had health checks, and so on. Many times, one family member was allowed in, while another person (from the same family) was sent back. NO whining about family reunification or how it was discrimination or racism or any other nonsense like we hear now. They accepted it and were grateful that someone from their family received this great opportunity.

Back then, we also had a need for people to cultivate the empty land. We no longer have that great need.

For history, look here:
http://library.thinkquest.org/20619/Eihist.ht...

When done reading history, look on the left, under "Their Stories" and read "Past Stories" for some good reading. These are REAL accounts of people coming here.

For exams they took, look here and read my quote:
http://library.thinkquest.org/5101/exam.htm

Besides having a medical and mental exam, they had a legal exam.

++Quote:
The last exam was the legal exam. This exam was very frightening for some immigrants because they had to answer a lot of questions very quickly and if they answered one wrong they could be deported. They were asked about 30 questions in 2 minutes. In the legal exam, immigrants would be asked questions like: What is your name? Do you have any relatives here? Do you have a criminal record? Have you ever been to the United States before?

In order to pass the legal exam you had to have 25 U.S. dollars. If you did not have that much money, you had to stay until you got it. Legal inspectors would also check your ID to see if you were really who you said you were. Legal inspectors also determined if you were "Clearly and beyond a doubt entitled to land".

In 1917, Congress passed the "Literacy Act" which meant that any immigrant had to read a 40 word passage in his native language. In 1921 and 1924 congress passed acts limiting the number of immigrants from all countries.
++End Quote

Quite a few of these illegal Mexicans would not pass a literacy exam today. So they were more picky about getting quality people back when people were NEEDED than we're being now when our country is quite full and natural resources are being depleted fast. How much sense does that make?

In 1924, immigrants were required to have a visa to come here -- they had to go to the consulate in their own country BEFORE COMING HERE and obtain a visa.

It would appear that, long ago, they managed to enforce their immigration laws much better than they're doing now (and with no nonsense of "discrimination" or yelling of "racism" and so on). Instead, people actually appreciated coming here, did things the right way, and accepted whatever decision was made on their desire to come here.

#15 May 17, 2009
Dream Act 2009 wrote:
<quoted text>
well, here we are talking abt dream act not immgration reform. for your knoledge this dream act will help the students whoes being raise here and came here as kids and grew up.its for their furture education. they are brilliont students and i belive its not their fault to being illegal bc of their parents broght here. i againts any kind of immigration reforme but i suport the dream act for students and kids whoes just like one of us. only their fault is they're parents made wrong decision and i dont belive that they schold get penalize for that.i think we schold all look dream act diffrent then immigration reforem. i think now is the time to get tax money back that we have already spent on them.
You wouldn't happen to be one of those "brilliont" [sic] students, would you? <snicker>

We definitely do not need brilliont [sic] students like you! We have enough homegrown idiots.

The Dream Act would reward illegal aliens. Period. It would not only allow illegal alien students to go to college at IN STATE TUITION RATES but it would allow them to bring their scum*bag, law breaking parents over to stay legally. You know, the same ones who broke our laws and brought their brats over here for us to educate, etc. on the taxpayers' dime. If those scum*bag law breaking parents want their brats to go to college here, they should be forking over the money for OUT OF STATE rates, as they are not legally in this country, and anyone who does not have legal residence in the state must pay out of state tuition. Period. We have paid more than enough to educate their brats. It's time, if they want their kids (note, THEIR kids), to have a better life, they can damn well pay for it.

We will not be rewarding any illegal aliens or their brats. The illegal kids, who may very well not have had anything to do with their parents law breaking, will just have to pl,ace blame where it is due -- ON THEIR PARENTS.

#16 May 17, 2009
BOBO wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, lastly, if there are no laws in place against something, then one cannot be doing something illegally. Way back, it was not illegal to drive without insurance or without a seat belt. Now, one must have both insurance *and* be wearing a seat belt. That does not mean, however, that we hunt out those who didn't do it before (when there were no laws in place about it) and tell them they were doing something illegally. That would not make a lick of sense.

So you're off your rocker if you want to say anyone was an illegal for coming here before laws existed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Missouri Kansas City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News With $275,000 fee for Hillary Clinton, college ... (Jun '15) Jun '15 Miss Id 1
News VIDEO: The West Isn't Out to Save Ukraine; It's... (Jun '15) Jun '15 HNC 3
News Sutton's welcomes Brandy Robertson (Sep '14) Nov '14 thoughts 7
News has brought in Susan Stanton (Feb '10) Jul '14 Another former em... 5
News a Losta history of Panama Canal is now found in... (Apr '14) Apr '14 Whoa 1
News The Bonus: Three takeaways after Kansas' victor... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Yesh mehra 2
News New prosecutor is sought in Mark Woodworth murd... (Feb '14) Feb '14 d k m 1
More from around the web