Beckley, WV Named to Smithsonian Magazine's List of 20 Best Small Towns in U.S.

Jun 6, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Huntington News

Beckley has joined a prestigious list of 20 Best Small Towns in America, according to an article by Susan Spano and Aviva Shen in the May 2012 Smithsonian magazine.

Comments
1 - 20 of 46 Comments Last updated Jun 18, 2012
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
cashlyn bank

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2012

Judged:

Wow R u serious? Beckley? Full of thugs pill heads coke heads and crack heads. A place where ur own brother will rob and kill u.... Thats named a safe city? Who took the poll? I think they need to loose their job! I lived in alot of states and alot of cities. I even lived in Beckley for almost a year.... BECKLEY was the worst place I ever lived! In the short time I was there 6 businesses were robbed. 3 people murdered ( police have not even solved) tons of pill heads zombiefied walking the streets..... The bar I worked at had the bouncer smokin crack in the club... And underage girls gettin served liquor and takin out to the parking lot and servicing a whole group of menˇ My house was broke into 2 flat screen tvs and a brand new ps3 stolen. Police wasnt even gonna take fingure prints till I said to! How sad is that? Police in Beckley r just as bad as the drug dealin thugs on the street. I HOPE who ever put them on the list of good safe towns actually goes out their next time and sees how it really is.
justanobserver

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2012

Judged:

Sounds like you hung out in,worked in, and lived in, the wrong places. Our crime rate is still one of the lowest in the country. I'm glad you left!!

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2012

Judged:

Congratulations to the residents of Beckley!
Beckley trash everywhere

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2012

I agree totally. Beckley is a horrible place full of trashy pill heads.
cashlyn bank wrote:
Wow R u serious? Beckley? Full of thugs pill heads coke heads and crack heads. A place where ur own brother will rob and kill u.... Thats named a safe city? Who took the poll? I think they need to loose their job! I lived in alot of states and alot of cities. I even lived in Beckley for almost a year.... BECKLEY was the worst place I ever lived! In the short time I was there 6 businesses were robbed. 3 people murdered ( police have not even solved) tons of pill heads zombiefied walking the streets..... The bar I worked at had the bouncer smokin crack in the club... And underage girls gettin served liquor and takin out to the parking lot and servicing a whole group of menˇ My house was broke into 2 flat screen tvs and a brand new ps3 stolen. Police wasnt even gonna take fingure prints till I said to! How sad is that? Police in Beckley r just as bad as the drug dealin thugs on the street. I HOPE who ever put them on the list of good safe towns actually goes out their next time and sees how it really is.
Gump

Enterprise, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2012

Lived in Beckley back in the early 1950's. Beautiful place then. Not so much these days, but you can say that for nearly any city in America.
lol

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2012

Awesome town full of awesome people.
haha

Fayetteville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

cashlyn bank wrote:
Wow R u serious? Beckley? Full of thugs pill heads coke heads and crack heads. A place where ur own brother will rob and kill u.... Thats named a safe city? Who took the poll? I think they need to loose their job! I lived in alot of states and alot of cities. I even lived in Beckley for almost a year.... BECKLEY was the worst place I ever lived! In the short time I was there 6 businesses were robbed. 3 people murdered ( police have not even solved) tons of pill heads zombiefied walking the streets..... The bar I worked at had the bouncer smokin crack in the club... And underage girls gettin served liquor and takin out to the parking lot and servicing a whole group of men¡ My house was broke into 2 flat screen tvs and a brand new ps3 stolen. Police wasnt even gonna take fingure prints till I said to! How sad is that? Police in Beckley r just as bad as the drug dealin thugs on the street. I HOPE who ever put them on the list of good safe towns actually goes out their next time and sees how it really is.
It's "lose" not loose. Learn to spell and stop hanging out in bars. If you hung out in better places you may know better people Good riddance
BinLaden

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 8, 2012

Beckley is awful. Just watch the news each day. An armed robbery almost daily. Especially on harper, where the criminal can disappear into oblivion via 64, 77, the turnpike, or through beckley its self.
cashlyn bank

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2012

Judged:

First off I lived on Cannaday which the side I lived on was nice.... It really doesnt matter if I was living in low income or a mansion when there are so many druggies in a town then it doesnt matter where u live anybody can become a victim.... As far as hang out anywhere..... There was no places to hang out.... BECKLEY WV SUCKS!!! NOTHIN 2 DO, NO JOBS, TONS of DRUGGIES and the POLICE there r doing just as many bad things as anybody else. And no Im glad to be out of Beckley.....u can be glad for me to if u want to.
cashlyn bank

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2012

First of it doesn`t matter how I spell and seconed of all I was working. Which is more than I can say for most of the other people in Beckley! Thats all you can say to defend your "GREAT" town? Lmao, oh Im sorry that means laughing my ass off! I started serving my country at 17 years old and I have been working since I was 15. So at the end of the day there is nothing you can say to me....
What

Oak Hill, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2012

Judged:

What else does your ignorant FIFO ass have to do? If you work soooo hard, then just where do you find the time to troll topix forums in cities that you don't even live in!? Get a life idiot.
Beckley is not a bad city. Move to ANY city and there will be drugs and crime to some degree. Look up the statistics. I'm sure you've have a statistics class, right? lmao. So you'd understand in black and white that Beckley is not more dangerous than say, Toledo perhaps.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2012

cashlyn bank wrote:
First of it doesn`t matter how I spell and seconed of all I was working. Which is more than I can say for most of the other people in Beckley! Thats all you can say to defend your "GREAT" town? Lmao, oh Im sorry that means laughing my ass off! I started serving my country at 17 years old and I have been working since I was 15. So at the end of the day there is nothing you can say to me....
Kiss my grits!

Spelling does matter. You can't even spell "second" properly. You're ignorant and obviously uneducated. I'm surprised you were working. What were you doing? Flipping burgers or asking "Do you want fries with that?" Maybe it was "Paper or plastic?"

What are you doing these days? Cooking Meth, bagging weed or making pills on a hand press?

I got my first job at 12 and enlisted a week after my 17th birthday. Big Whoop! With that and 65˘ I can get a cup of coffee at McDonald's.

I lived in Beckley, visited after moving away. You think Beckley sucks so bad? Try Chicago, Detroit, Philly, L.A., S.F., Cincinnati, or Louisville, KY. I've been to 38 states and have to say Cincinnati is the dirtiest city I've visited in the U.S. Old Town San Juan is cleaner. So is Nogales.

You being in Ohio, I'd suggest you just shut up.
cashlyn bank

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2012

Judged:

My opinion is my opinion. I have the right to speak my mind. BECKLEY WV SUCKS!!! The reason I look up the news there is I still have friends there. Also I am educated and like I said before it doesnt matter how I spell as long as I got my point across. By the way thats all you got, Im a drug dealing meth head? Lmao you dont know me and obviously didnt read my first post. ONE of the BIGGEST problems with Beckley is all the drug use, thieves, wanna be thugs not to mention the cops that dont do their jobs. Anyways I can read the news anywhere I want to and live where I want. At least I can say Im current with my news status.... What does Beckley really have to offer its youth? What is the drop out to graduation ratio? What are the test scores. How about the employment rate? Is your town booming with job industry or do drug addicts run the streets???? Hmmmm enough said Im done talking with you small minded people. If you believe Beckley is so good you keep it!!! Hahahaha
Cashlyns RIGHT

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2012

Judged:

You are 100% correct! Beckley is the worst city I've ever seen in my life, well let me just say WV in a whole isn't worth the sweat off my a$$. Can't wait to leave this hole in the map that people still think we are part of Virginia. WV has nothing to offer to nobody period, and that my dear it the truth. Back in the 80's to was a nice retirement state, however I wouldn't allow my parents to retire here now because I would be afraid they would get robbed or killed over prescription drugs. What's really sad is that it's only getting worse, but then I ask myself "how much worse can it really get"? My advice is if you have the opportunity to get the hell out of here do it!
Cashlyns RIGHT

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2012

Judged:

haha wrote:
<quoted text>
It's "lose" not loose. Learn to spell and stop hanging out in bars. If you hung out in better places you may know better people Good riddance
Run, it's the Spell Check Police! You people kill me, as long as you know what the person is saying who gives a crap if they misspell words.
nojealously

Rupert, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2012

The decision was based on computer database research which chose towns with concentrations of cultural attractions that are more common in bigger cities. Beckley came out a top 20 winner. Congrats to Beckley!
really

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2012

Judged:

To all the negative naysayers: Yes, Beckley has its share of problems, just like any other town. However, if you despise it so much, get the hell out and don't come back!!!

To the dumba$$ who is posting from Ohio: Good, I'm glad you moved....I've visited a couple of your "finer" cities, including Cleveland, Akron, and Columbus. I was not impressed with any of them. Cleveland is probably one of the biggest cesspools I've ever seen. I spent 4 days there on business, and couldn't wait to get out!! Columbus, at least the part where my relatives lived, wasn't bad, but nothing to write home about. Get over yourselves.

This entire country is rife with drugs and unemployment. That is waaaay more a problem with the sorriness and lack of pride among American citizens than anything else! It has nothing to do with the municipality itself!!

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2012

Did anybody read the story? Here's what it says about Beckley:

"19. Beckley, WV
Life in Beckley, like much of the Appalachian area, has always revolved around the coal industry. Take a tour of the coal seams under the city at the Exhibition Coal Mine, renovated in 2008 to give visitors a look into the life of a coal miner and the history of the region. There’s plenty of activity aboveground, too, most of it happening at Tamarack, West Virginia’s enormous arts center off the Beckley exit on the West Virginia Turnpike. Tamarack doubles as market and arts center: local artisans give demos and sell their textiles, jewelry and pottery, and the Tamarack theater hosts live music, theater, dance and lectures. Summer brings a full cultural schedule: Theater West Virginia can be found performing most nights at Beckley’s outdoor theater, and the Appalachian Festival takes over the town for three days of distinctly Appalachian arts, crafts, music and food."

Hey, we're just behind Key West, FL, one of my all time favorite places...nothing to sneeze at. Take a look at the other towns...this is a big deal.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/The-20-B...

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2012

I've been to Beckley several times on business and found the area to be interesting, the people very friendly and several good restaurants.
I don't live there so there are many things I didn't see or live with. But as stated in anearlier Post most cities/towns across the US have problems, some problems the same some problems unique to the city/town. Nothing is perfect and in this economy there are more, new and deeper stress levels for the residents.
Be proud of the article, remember people make the town.
cashlyn bank

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2012

Judged:

Listen hear old man. Does it matter what you used to pay for coffee? No. I dont think it does. I didnt say anything about Ohio because it wasnt on the list. Duh, your dumb city Beckley was. So there for I can give my opinion. For someone that supposedly served there country you dont like the fact that somebody else has an opinion. You have the right to believe Beckley is heaven if you want. But you will never convince me that shit isnt shit... Also like I said it doesnt matter how I spell. I stated the facts and thats all that matters. To answer your question no I dont make meth, bag weed or press pills I work in home health Im going to college and raising two beautiful children. Oh yeah I dont live off welfare and actually I never have and I havent been paid to flip burgers since I was 15. But I understand you felt threatened by what I said so you felt you had to attack me personally. Well thats dumb and childish you should be ashamed of yourself. But then again thats what you can expect out of Beckley. Haha

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Mississippi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ole Miss frat suspended, noose suspects kicked out (Feb '14) Tue swedenforever 15
the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal (Tupelo... Aug 7 Media 2
Feds test how stoned is too stoned to drive Jul '14 T Turner 1
Black Woman Calls Out White Gay Drag Queens Jul '14 Homostats 3
Protests Set for Miss. Law That's Seen as Anti-Gay May '14 The Rogue 12
The Lists: Food deserts in Mississippi May '14 Hillary Shaw 1
Multiple factors influence teacher salary Mar '14 Crime 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

University of Mississippi People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••