Ole Miss student faces deportation for revealing illegal status

There are 20 comments on the WHNT-TV Huntsville story from Sep 16, 2010, titled Ole Miss student faces deportation for revealing illegal status. In it, WHNT-TV Huntsville reports that:

University of Mississippi student Patricia Pacheco is facing deportation because she is an illegal immigrant.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHNT-TV Huntsville.

evette

Memphis, TN

#21 Sep 20, 2010
You should check your spelling.
Cynic

Memphis, TN

#22 Sep 20, 2010
Drunken Masta wrote:
<quoted text>
But that's my point. She isn't out here breaking into my home. What was she supposed to do? Move back to Brazil? What would you have done if you were her? I said in my post that yes the law is the law, I'm just not as hardcore as the rest you lynch mobbers, she's just a normal girl with friends that I'm sure resemble a lot of ya'll, and are probably confilicted in their opinions now that they know someone in that situation. Apparently the only thing I've done to get bad marks on here is have the ability to put myself in others shoes.
This girl knew she was illegal from the time she was 16. She may not have been breaking into your house, but what about the taxes not paid? The student that did not get into Old Miss because this illegal was there? No sympathy; send her back and bill the family for the cost of the trip; go back and figure the taxes they should have paid, bill that as well. How did the parents work? Stolen id's?? Nope, no sympathy for the illegal. Legal immigration, all for it. Illegal? No compassion, No sympathy. You walk through my front door at my invitation, you are a guest and welcome. You come in the back window; you are going to get shot. I don't care what the motives are or how needy you may be.
Libby

Huntsville, AL

#23 Sep 20, 2010
Halleleujah!

“Everybody Dies...”

Since: Jan 10

...But not Everybody Lives.

#24 Sep 20, 2010
Cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
This girl knew she was illegal from the time she was 16. She may not have been breaking into your house, but what about the taxes not paid? The student that did not get into Old Miss because this illegal was there? No sympathy; send her back and bill the family for the cost of the trip; go back and figure the taxes they should have paid, bill that as well. How did the parents work? Stolen id's?? Nope, no sympathy for the illegal. Legal immigration, all for it. Illegal? No compassion, No sympathy. You walk through my front door at my invitation, you are a guest and welcome. You come in the back window; you are going to get shot. I don't care what the motives are or how needy you may be.
Many are indeed paying income taxes through ITIN numbers and of course state taxes like the rest of us when they make purchases. Yes there some contradictions in our policies regarding this, a lot that needs to be addressed, and yes if you are here illegaly then you are breaking the law and should be dealt with accordingly. But as with anybody who breaks the law in most cases, give them a chance to make it right. If I'm driving w/ no license, I would hope that you wouldn't ban me from driving should I correct the violation.
Exotic Dancer

Madison, AL

#25 Sep 20, 2010
Heaven forbid that the Missississippi jean pool get diluted with DNA from some furener !
zombie vote

Trussville, AL

#26 Sep 20, 2010
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously going to school is doing you absolutely no good, since you can't formulate a post in 3rd grade grammar and spelling.
As for the student in the article, She just needs to get a student visa, pay her tuition and come back to school - no problem. It's really not that big of a deal. I'd rather have her working for me than some ignorant uneducated American that refused to avail themselves of the priviledges afforded by this great country.
BTW Brazil is a beautiful country and this time of the year it is very nice.
What about the people in this country that can't afford to take advantage of the "priviledges" afforded by this great country? Was your college education free? Could you even afford to go to college? If your mother was a single mother for whatever reason, death of a spouse or divorce or other, could she afford to send you to college? Anyone that doesn't see how messed up this country is in regards to favoring illegals over natural born citizens is just blind. Let's put away the racist rhetoric and think about it. What could we do for this country in regards to education and progress if we didn't have the illegal problem? Think of the billions of dollars we'd have to put into our educational, and other, systems. Think of the jobs that would be freed up for unemployed legal citizens. Think of the low interest business loans legal citizens could get. If you are one of those that "got yours" you can't sympathize with people that are struggling to work so they can house, feed, educate, and have the medical care etc. and life for their families that the illegals enjoy. Anyone that argues the illegals are "doing jobs others won't do" has never had to compete with the illegals for jobs. You can see it every day, workers that are unemployed because businesses that once used them are now hiring illegals. The American Dream? Why can't legal citizens of the USA have that dream for themselves and their families? Do you think people have such hard feelings for legal immigrants? No they don't. Because any immigrant willing to do it the "right" way, and pull their own weight and contribute to society are more readily accepted. There will always be "cultural clashes" true, but the feeling of being invaded and robbed will be dimished greatly.
roflay

Trussville, AL

#27 Sep 20, 2010
Exotic Dancer wrote:
Heaven forbid that the Missississippi jean pool get diluted with DNA from some furener !
Exotic dancer from Madison eh? hahahahahaha. I bet your "jeans" get diluted every night at Jimmy's doing those lap dances for the illegals at fifty cents a pop. Hey genius, it's GENE and MISSISSIPPI btw. Get some bigger thongs for that beer belly and wide load a** of yours. The ones you're wearing now are cutting off much needed oxygen to the pea sized brain in your crotch.

“Everybody Dies...”

#28 Sep 20, 2010
zombie vote wrote:
<quoted text> What about the people in this country that can't afford to take advantage of the "priviledges" afforded by this great country? Was your college education free? Could you even afford to go to college? If your mother was a single mother for whatever reason, death of a spouse or divorce or other, could she afford to send you to college? Anyone that doesn't see how messed up this country is in regards to favoring illegals over natural born citizens is just blind. Let's put away the racist rhetoric and think about it. What could we do for this country in regards to education and progress if we didn't have the illegal problem? Think of the billions of dollars we'd have to put into our educational, and other, systems. Think of the jobs that would be freed up for unemployed legal citizens. Think of the low interest business loans legal citizens could get. If you are one of those that "got yours" you can't sympathize with people that are struggling to work so they can house, feed, educate, and have the medical care etc. and life for their families that the illegals enjoy. Anyone that argues the illegals are "doing jobs others won't do" has never had to compete with the illegals for jobs. You can see it every day, workers that are unemployed because businesses that once used them are now hiring illegals. The American Dream? Why can't legal citizens of the USA have that dream for themselves and their families? Do you think people have such hard feelings for legal immigrants? No they don't. Because any immigrant willing to do it the "right" way, and pull their own weight and contribute to society are more readily accepted. There will always be "cultural clashes" true, but the feeling of being invaded and robbed will be dimished greatly.
Now you are getting into realms where you should really be mad about bailouts, a 3 trillion dollar war, deregulation of big business, Wall Street and dirivatives, incompetent politicians, what have you. Illegal immigration is an issue, but it is unrealistic to place the blame squarely on their shoulders for this downward spiral of America. I'm just saying.
zombie vote

Trussville, AL

#29 Sep 20, 2010
Drunken Masta wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you are getting into realms where you should really be mad about bailouts, a 3 trillion dollar war, deregulation of big business, Wall Street and dirivatives, incompetent politicians, what have you. Illegal immigration is an issue, but it is unrealistic to place the blame squarely on their shoulders for this downward spiral of America. I'm just saying.
I'm not placing all the blame on their shoulders. I'm saying with the billions we could save we could work on other problem areas. You tell me when we began the downward spiral, and deny that illegal immigration plays a major part in that. When you have politicians like the ones that are in control now, and try to stand up to them, you're shouted down as a racist. AND what makes a person come across as racist? Speaking out against something that is wrong when the person doing the wrong thing isn't white. You can't deny that. Democrats will never do one thing about the illegals because they and their supporters are their voting base. When Republicans try to stop the tide of illegals all you get is you're a RACIST. Some illegals have the nerve to say "it's our turn". Excuse me? How do you feel it's your turn when you're here illegally and natural born citizens haven't had theirs and never will because of the illegals? If you want your turn stay in your own country and work for it.
Jim M

Huntsville, AL

#30 Sep 20, 2010
Its pretty simple, no emotion required for this.
It doesn't matter how good the person is and how well they did here. Fact is that they are here illegally and don't deserve to enjoy the fruits of our country.

If a person is not in this country legally then deport them.
beth

Crane Hill, AL

#32 Sep 20, 2010
Dear Zombie vote, You ask me if I spoke up. Yes I did. I told the manager that I could not help over hearing the conversation and that they could get sued for reverse discrimination against Americans and that I felt like writing the President of WalMart in Bentonville, Arkansas.

Since: Nov 09

Newnan, GA

#33 Sep 20, 2010
Drunken Masta wrote:
<quoted text>
But that's my point. She isn't out here breaking into my home. What was she supposed to do? Move back to Brazil? What would you have done if you were her? I said in my post that yes the law is the law, I'm just not as hardcore as the rest you lynch mobbers, she's just a normal girl with friends that I'm sure resemble a lot of ya'll, and are probably confilicted in their opinions now that they know someone in that situation. Apparently the only thing I've done to get bad marks on here is have the ability to put myself in others shoes.
Lynch mobbers....typical response from a bigot....I was merely exposing the flaw in your rationale...how sad she has to go back to Brazil..she is such a nice kid...maybe we should let her stay and reward her for breaking the law....funny how you turds are so willing to surrender the sovereignty of AMERICA but when challenged to do the same thing with your home based on YOUR rationalization for why they should be allowed to stay in the country you defend your homes sovereignty.She may not be breaking into your home...but she has BROKEN INTO YOUR COUNTRY!!!...The important question is what would my parents have done...I can tell you my parents would not have ignored the laws of AMERICA...They would have done everything they could to ensure I had every opportunity in Brazil. You don't have the ability to put yourself in others shoes....how about the rest of us who prefer our laws be obeyed and NOT IGNORED....I don't want this girl in my country...just like I wouldn't want her in my home!

Since: Nov 09

Newnan, GA

#34 Sep 20, 2010
Drunken Masta wrote:
<quoted text>
Many are indeed paying income taxes through ITIN numbers and of course state taxes like the rest of us when they make purchases. Yes there some contradictions in our policies regarding this, a lot that needs to be addressed, and yes if you are here illegaly then you are breaking the law and should be dealt with accordingly. But as with anybody who breaks the law in most cases, give them a chance to make it right. If I'm driving w/ no license, I would hope that you wouldn't ban me from driving should I correct the violation.
you dimwit...are you saying because they make a purchase in a grocery store they are taxpayers....and the house cleaners and the landscapers who get paid low wages off the books are paying federal income taxes...on jobs Americans won't do..and they still have enough left over to send remittences back home. You must be delusional!! And if you do drive enough times without a license you can be denied the ability to drive for life...driving is a privlege...NOT A RIGHT! What other laws should people break as far as you're concerned...should we reward those who speed with faster cars???

“Everybody Dies...”

#36 Sep 21, 2010
ga_patriot wrote:
<quoted text>you dimwit...are you saying because they make a purchase in a grocery store they are taxpayers....and the house cleaners and the landscapers who get paid low wages off the books are paying federal income taxes...on jobs Americans won't do..and they still have enough left over to send remittences back home. You must be delusional!! And if you do drive enough times without a license you can be denied the ability to drive for life...driving is a privlege...NOT A RIGHT! What other laws should people break as far as you're concerned...should we reward those who speed with faster cars???
Dimwit? By argument, yes they pay state taxes. Of course there are many that get paid off the books. There are also many Americans that get paid under the table, as well as many behind/not paying taxes, since you are mad at taz cheats. And trust me, many do indeed pay income taxes. I'm not arguing that the laws should be broken, or cheering on lawbreakers, I'm just saying that if I break the law, I should have a chance to rectify the situation after my slap on the wrist. That's it. So tell me what was this girl to do?

“Everybody Dies...”

#37 Sep 21, 2010
ga_patriot wrote:
<quoted text>Lynch mobbers....typical response from a bigot....I was merely exposing the flaw in your rationale...how sad she has to go back to Brazil..she is such a nice kid...maybe we should let her stay and reward her for breaking the law....funny how you turds are so willing to surrender the sovereignty of AMERICA but when challenged to do the same thing with your home based on YOUR rationalization for why they should be allowed to stay in the country you defend your homes sovereignty.She may not be breaking into your home...but she has BROKEN INTO YOUR COUNTRY!!!...The important question is what would my parents have done...I can tell you my parents would not have ignored the laws of AMERICA...They would have done everything they could to ensure I had every opportunity in Brazil. You don't have the ability to put yourself in others shoes....how about the rest of us who prefer our laws be obeyed and NOT IGNORED....I don't want this girl in my country...just like I wouldn't want her in my home!
So what about my statemets have been bigoted?
Whatever

Huntsville, AL

#38 Sep 21, 2010
zombie vote wrote:
<quoted text> What about the people in this country that can't afford to take advantage of the "priviledges" afforded by this great country? Was your college education free? Could you even afford to go to college? If your mother was a single mother for whatever reason, death of a spouse or divorce or other, could she afford to send you to college? Anyone that doesn't see how messed up this country is in regards to favoring illegals over natural born citizens is just blind. Let's put away the racist rhetoric and think about it. What could we do for this country in regards to education and progress if we didn't have the illegal problem? Think of the billions of dollars we'd have to put into our educational, and other, systems. Think of the jobs that would be freed up for unemployed legal citizens. Think of the low interest business loans legal citizens could get. If you are one of those that "got yours" you can't sympathize with people that are struggling to work so they can house, feed, educate, and have the medical care etc. and life for their families that the illegals enjoy. Anyone that argues the illegals are "doing jobs others won't do" has never had to compete with the illegals for jobs. You can see it every day, workers that are unemployed because businesses that once used them are now hiring illegals. The American Dream? Why can't legal citizens of the USA have that dream for themselves and their families? Do you think people have such hard feelings for legal immigrants? No they don't. Because any immigrant willing to do it the "right" way, and pull their own weight and contribute to society are more readily accepted. There will always be "cultural clashes" true, but the feeling of being invaded and robbed will be dimished greatly.
1st of all I grew up in Georgia (moved here for work 20 + yrs ago), my father died when I was 17 which is when I went to college. My mother had 2 other children at home at the time so I paid for my 1st year with scholarships and WORK, scrubbing toilets not excluded. After that 1st year of busting my butt at work and academically I got an all expense paid scholarship to a University.

The issue I have is not deporting people here illegally but the idea that they are responsible for all the woes of the nation. No illegal is lining up for my job - probably b/c I busted my sweet #ss and educated myself. We have some VERY entitled people in this country that use illegals as an excuse to do nothing for themselves - that's my issue.

Also Ga. has free college, so buy those lotto tickets b/c I have neices in college!
zombie vote

Trussville, AL

#39 Sep 21, 2010
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
1st of all I grew up in Georgia (moved here for work 20 + yrs ago), my father died when I was 17 which is when I went to college. My mother had 2 other children at home at the time so I paid for my 1st year with scholarships and WORK, scrubbing toilets not excluded. After that 1st year of busting my butt at work and academically I got an all expense paid scholarship to a University.
The issue I have is not deporting people here illegally but the idea that they are responsible for all the woes of the nation. No illegal is lining up for my job - probably b/c I busted my sweet #ss and educated myself. We have some VERY entitled people in this country that use illegals as an excuse to do nothing for themselves - that's my issue.
Also Ga. has free college, so buy those lotto tickets b/c I have neices in college!
I don't know anybody that uses illegals as an excuse to do nothing. People like that don't need the illegal excuse. They have plenty of others. But there are too many legal citizens that are in crisis because they have to compete with illegals. Those are the ones that I worry about and they get my sympathy, not an illegal. People that are getting rich by using the illegals will give that same argument, "they won't do the job." Those jobs always got done before, by legal citizens. When greedy businesses found a gold mine in illegals they tossed over their own people. I don't like that, and I won't do business with anyone that hires Mexicans. And as far as it being cheaper, faster, better work, I haven't found that to be true either. The only ones saving money by using illegals are the devious business owners that hire them, and that ends up costing the rest of us. You can insult a legal citizen by calling them lazy or no good, or entitled and do nothings, but heaven forbid if you say the same s*** about an illegal. The bleeding hearts will cry foul and racist, and try their best to make you appear heartless and unfeeling. Just like this story, trot out the poor little illegal girl that only wants a better life,("sniff sniff" pass the hankies), then wait to attack anyone that opposes her.

“Press 2 for Deportation.”

Since: Apr 09

Boise, ID

#40 Sep 21, 2010
Drunken Masta wrote:
<quoted text>
Dimwit? By argument, yes they pay state taxes. Of course there are many that get paid off the books. There are also many Americans that get paid under the table, as well as many behind/not paying taxes, since you are mad at taz cheats. And trust me, many do indeed pay income taxes. I'm not arguing that the laws should be broken, or cheering on lawbreakers, I'm just saying that if I break the law, I should have a chance to rectify the situation after my slap on the wrist. That's it. So tell me what was this girl to do?
Let me try to explain it this way:

Every law that is broken has its corresponding punishment. The punishment for illegal entry or overstaying your visa IS DEPORTATION. That's it, plain and simple. It's in our Immigrations Code, voted and passed by Congress.

The only way she can rectify the situation under our law is to go back to Brazil and apply for legal immigrant status from our US Consulate there -- just as our Immigrations Code says.

We all have sad stories. We all WANT a better life. But we don't break laws to get what we WANT.(We don't even do that to get what we NEED.)

She WANTS to live in America, but we all don't get what we want, do we? And the USA is under no moral or legal obligation to give her what she wants, especially since has evaded the law for years.

We need laws to maintain a peaceful and orderly society. We do not make laws and then choose when to exercise them. Our immigrations law applies to all foreigners, whether they are drug smugglers or visa overstayers (we have even deported ministers who overstayed their visas).

I hope this clears it up for you. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LAW. Heck, the term "illegal" is there! What other word can be more obvious that this issue is about the law and nothing else?
Rico

Florence, AL

#41 Sep 21, 2010
Thank God, I paid $500 for a fake ID. God Bless America!!!:)

“Everybody Dies...”

#42 Sep 22, 2010
FedUpWithIllegals wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me try to explain it this way:
Every law that is broken has its corresponding punishment. The punishment for illegal entry or overstaying your visa IS DEPORTATION. That's it, plain and simple. It's in our Immigrations Code, voted and passed by Congress.
The only way she can rectify the situation under our law is to go back to Brazil and apply for legal immigrant status from our US Consulate there -- just as our Immigrations Code says.
We all have sad stories. We all WANT a better life. But we don't break laws to get what we WANT.(We don't even do that to get what we NEED.)
She WANTS to live in America, but we all don't get what we want, do we? And the USA is under no moral or legal obligation to give her what she wants, especially since has evaded the law for years.
We need laws to maintain a peaceful and orderly society. We do not make laws and then choose when to exercise them. Our immigrations law applies to all foreigners, whether they are drug smugglers or visa overstayers (we have even deported ministers who overstayed their visas).
I hope this clears it up for you. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LAW. Heck, the term "illegal" is there! What other word can be more obvious that this issue is about the law and nothing else?
Look, I'm not against the law and fair is fair. I'm not saying that I'm pro-illegal immigration as much as I'm just replying to the hostility in the room. I see the argument and I cannot disagree with you. If my argument sounds off or pointless, all I'm trying to do is address the anger in the room. If she has to go back in order to re-apply for a visa or something, then so be it. It is a catch 22 in my opinion. On the one hand yes, people should not be in this counrty illegally, but on the other hand, many of us would be doing the same thing if it were us in those situations. I just can't stand hypocrites. And I myself being raised in a culture of underdogs, I really can't blame a man for trying to support a family, or someone trying to improve their life. Yes the law is the law, but I would dare to say that many of us will occasionaly buck the system and get away from time to time. We know we're not always in the right. But we're quick to condemn the guilty parties as long as they aren't us. That's all I'm saying. I'm not disagreeing with the law, I'm addressing the anger and hypocrisy. But given your screen name, this may fall on deaf ears, as it seems like I'm the only one in here looking at these people as humans in a situation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Mississippi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Whitwell believes he has path to victory 16 hr force the unlearned 1
News IHL looks within for new commissioner Apr 21 Patterson Legacy ... 4
News Man charged in noose left on integration statue... Apr 14 High School Student 3
News IHL affirms Jones decision, backlash grows Apr 10 Sports Director 27
News Flooding in Louisville closes roads, prompts wa... Apr 4 Sterkfontein Swar... 3
News Dan Jones out as Ole Miss chancellor when contr... Mar '15 Money changers 29
News City to change east Tupelo voting precinct Mar '15 lts_Me 2
More from around the web