Ole Miss student faces deportation for revealing illegal status

Sep 16, 2010 Full story: WHNT-TV Huntsville 55

University of Mississippi student Patricia Pacheco is facing deportation because she is an illegal immigrant.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
COUSIN PAULIE

Carrollton, TX

#1 Sep 16, 2010
"Ole Miss student faces deportation for revealing illegal status
Full story: WHNT-TV Huntsville
University of Mississippi student Patricia Pacheco is facing deportation because she is an illegal immigrant."

Bye bye

So Long

Farwell

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#2 Sep 16, 2010
OMG what a sad story. Now load her and her mother up and ship them back to where they came from. This is exactly whats wrong with our country. Legal immigration is a beautiful thing but these folks are law breakers and need to leave.

Since: Nov 09

Newnan, GA

#3 Sep 16, 2010
Bye Bye Patty!!!!!!!!! Brazil is great this time of year...Just think of all the new friends you'll make back home!

“Press 2 for Deportation.”

Since: Apr 09

Boise, ID

#4 Sep 17, 2010
It must be a shock for DREAMERs like Pacheco to discover their parent was trying to game our system illegally.

However, after the initial shock, they can still salvage their respect for their parents by gathering the whole illegal family and going home.

AND SINCE WHEN WERE WE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE BAD DECISIONS OF ILLEGAL-ALIEN PARENTS???? WHY DO WE HAVE TO COMPROMISE OUR IMMIGRATIONS LAWS FOR PERSONAL DECISIONS MADE BY ILLEGALS??? WHY DO WE HAVE TO GRANT THEM AMNESTY??

This IS NOT a USA national problem! This is a family problem of illegal-alien families; they can solve this themselves around their dinner table (by deciding to stick together and all go home). WHY IS THIS PERSONAL FAMILY ISSUE A NATIONAL ISSUE???
beth

Crane Hill, AL

#5 Sep 17, 2010
One less family and person to bilk our system. Take your bed bugs with you along with scabbies and TB. Please leave before stupid Obama ask for your vote. Does he not know that you have to be legal first? Well he wasn't so maybe he doesn't know.
Harley Rider

Cordova, TN

#6 Sep 17, 2010
She really grew up here from the time that she was seven years old and is just now truly discovering that she is an illegal immigrant ? I find that somewhat hard to believe. If the mother and daughter had been over here all of these years, why had they not taken the necessary steps to become legal ? Granted, I guess it is possible to grow up in a country your entire life without the knowledge that you are an illegal immigrant, but it seems to me like she would have run into some sort of issues before this one ?
NoAmnesty

Madison, AL

#7 Sep 18, 2010
Whether she had knowledge that she was here illegally or not doesn't matter. Remember the old saying "Ignorance of the law is no excuse?" Well, that applies here. Send her and her parents, cousins, uncles, aunts, brothers, sisters, grandparents and any other relatives back
Glasnos

Fabens, TX

#8 Sep 18, 2010
We are moving in the right direction. It was just recently we had universties reveal they had thousands of illegal students that had been given in state tuition. If you know they are illegal, deportation is the correct action ... not rewarding them with lower tuition.
We are making progress ... Thanks tea party ... we have the politicians running scared.

Newnan, GA

#9 Sep 18, 2010
Harley Rider wrote:
She really grew up here from the time that she was seven years old and is just now truly discovering that she is an illegal immigrant ? I find that somewhat hard to believe. If the mother and daughter had been over here all of these years, why had they not taken the necessary steps to become legal ? Granted, I guess it is possible to grow up in a country your entire life without the knowledge that you are an illegal immigrant, but it seems to me like she would have run into some sort of issues before this one ?
The necessary steps to become LEGAL would have been to stay in Brazil and APPLY TO COME HERE LEGALLY!!!!!!!!!! Her mother didn't want to do that...so she willingly BROKE THE LAW....these scumbags think they are too good for our laws yet want to live here and be protected by our laws. The time has come to STOP REWARDING THOSE WHO IGNORE OUR IMMIGRATION LAWS AND START DEPORTING THOSE WHO IGNORE OUR IMMIGRATION LAWS...No more court hearings!!!! If you are here ILLEGALLY and are caught you should be gone in 3 days!

“Everybody Dies...”

Since: Jan 10

...But not Everybody Lives.

#10 Sep 19, 2010
Coming from Brazil, they probably had a visa that expired a while ago. It is unfortunate for the girl, the law is the law, but she didn't come over on her own free will. It seems as though she considered herself a regular citizen, trying to achieve in life. I looked her up on Facebook, and it seems that she has a lot of friends, most of whom probably resemble many of you all, she is even a sorority member. I'm sure many of her close friends now stand conflicted in their thoughts on this subject. I am with you all on following the law and doing things the right way, but it's hard to look another person in the face and tell them that they don't belong here, especially when they are just trying to better their lives and not harm anybody.

I do kind of have to agree with HR, it would seem that she would have some idea that maybe she is not legal, but to enroll for school maybe she was kind of ignorant to the possibility of being exposed.

I can't knock anybody for trying to live the American dream, I hope she has a chance to legitimize herself here so that she can continue the only life she knows.
beth

Crane Hill, AL

#11 Sep 19, 2010
When I went to college we had to show our drivers license when we had our college ID made. Our college ID had our picture on it. What is the deal here? Why did Oxford not ask for a drivers license when she registered? Another eye opener and catch is this, your college ID number is your social security number. How did she get a social security card? They couldn't have stole or borrowed one because the name would have been different. Looks like that college has to answer some questions about that. If she had student loans whose social security number was she using on her Pell, her Stafford, sub and unsub and her Perkins loan. That is fraud itself and she had to be in the know on this. She could face federal charges for the defrauding on student loans and my fellow Americans the illegals do this all the time all over America and we are ask to be kind to them? I don't think so. She had to know.
beth

Crane Hill, AL

#12 Sep 19, 2010
There is another topic on illegals that I'd like to bring up. Have you ever had something that you wanted to refund at Wal Mart but just couldn't find the receipt. Well, Wal Mart will give a refund without a receipt under certain conditions, the refund price is not too high and that the item hasn't been used and that you show your drivers license. Well that seems fair enough except many elderly may ride to the store with someone since they no longer drive or any person may have been filling our insurance papers to add a vehicle to their insurance and gotten up and left their drivers license on the table.
Well, tonight at Cullman, Alabama WalMart there was this person that had talked to the manager prior to leaving their home telling the manager that they couldn't find the receipt and the manager said, "OK bring it on down and I'll give them refund." When the person got there, the manager looked at the item and said, "OK, I can tell it has not been used, give the refund." The girl behind the counter ask for their drivers license and suddenly this person remembered that they had left them on the table while adding another vehicle to their insurance. The clerk said she could not give the refund. This person ask the manager what they did with illegals that didn't have a drivers license and he said, "well, we have to give them refunds without a license because they don't have any." That just burned the hell out of me when I over heard this. What is this country coming to that the red blooded Americans have to have drivers license and insurance and pay taxes and the illegals don't have to have a drivers license while getting a refund. Folks, we need to do something about this discrimination of Americans and preferred treatment on the illegals.
We need to write our congress person, all of the in all of the states.
zombie vote

Trussville, AL

#13 Sep 19, 2010
beth wrote:
There is another topic on illegals that I'd like to bring up. Have you ever had something that you wanted to refund at Wal Mart but just couldn't find the receipt. Well, Wal Mart will give a refund without a receipt under certain conditions, the refund price is not too high and that the item hasn't been used and that you show your drivers license. Well that seems fair enough except many elderly may ride to the store with someone since they no longer drive or any person may have been filling our insurance papers to add a vehicle to their insurance and gotten up and left their drivers license on the table.
Well, tonight at Cullman, Alabama WalMart there was this person that had talked to the manager prior to leaving their home telling the manager that they couldn't find the receipt and the manager said, "OK bring it on down and I'll give them refund." When the person got there, the manager looked at the item and said, "OK, I can tell it has not been used, give the refund." The girl behind the counter ask for their drivers license and suddenly this person remembered that they had left them on the table while adding another vehicle to their insurance. The clerk said she could not give the refund. This person ask the manager what they did with illegals that didn't have a drivers license and he said, "well, we have to give them refunds without a license because they don't have any." That just burned the hell out of me when I over heard this. What is this country coming to that the red blooded Americans have to have drivers license and insurance and pay taxes and the illegals don't have to have a drivers license while getting a refund. Folks, we need to do something about this discrimination of Americans and preferred treatment on the illegals.
We need to write our congress person, all of the in all of the states.
Did you speak up?

Newnan, GA

#14 Sep 20, 2010
Drunken Masta wrote:
Coming from Brazil, they probably had a visa that expired a while ago. It is unfortunate for the girl, the law is the law, but she didn't come over on her own free will. It seems as though she considered herself a regular citizen, trying to achieve in life. I looked her up on Facebook, and it seems that she has a lot of friends, most of whom probably resemble many of you all, she is even a sorority member. I'm sure many of her close friends now stand conflicted in their thoughts on this subject. I am with you all on following the law and doing things the right way, but it's hard to look another person in the face and tell them that they don't belong here, especially when they are just trying to better their lives and not harm anybody.
I do kind of have to agree with HR, it would seem that she would have some idea that maybe she is not legal, but to enroll for school maybe she was kind of ignorant to the possibility of being exposed.
I can't knock anybody for trying to live the American dream, I hope she has a chance to legitimize herself here so that she can continue the only life she knows.
So if a nice girl with friends and a facebook page breaks into your home to better her life you would of course look the other way and let her stay right??? The only life she knows??? Funny we can't send her back to Brazil now because America is the only life she knows...that didn't stop her mother from binging her here to AMERICA and taking her from Brazil which was the only life SHE KNEW then...deport the bitch and let someone from Brazil in who has filled out every form and gone to every interview AND IS PATIENTLY WAITING THEIR TURN TO ENTER AMERICA LEGALLY!!!!!!! That is the person we owe an opportunity to better themselves to...the ones who have prooved they can OBEY THE LAW!!!
illegal

Huntsville, AL

#15 Sep 20, 2010
Thanks obama for alwing me to go to school for fre I have a right to live hear.It is our turn to live the good life and I am glad democrats like us and want us hear ,I will vote for you next time to as will my friends wem deserve american jobs more than the people that live hear because they have been handed stuff all there life.Thank for the new era of love for the under privelged and understanding that I am entitled to an education at your expense.I love you obama!!!
Elizabeth

United States

#16 Sep 20, 2010
As a first generation American, I am sick and tired of these illegals making a mockery of everything my parents and grandparents had to work so hard to earn! Kick out the illegals, NOW!!!!
Whatever

Huntsville, AL

#17 Sep 20, 2010
illegal wrote:
Thanks obama for alwing me to go to school for fre I have a right to live hear.It is our turn to live the good life and I am glad democrats like us and want us hear ,I will vote for you next time to as will my friends wem deserve american jobs more than the people that live hear because they have been handed stuff all there life.Thank for the new era of love for the under privelged and understanding that I am entitled to an education at your expense.I love you obama!!!
Obviously going to school is doing you absolutely no good, since you can't formulate a post in 3rd grade grammar and spelling.

As for the student in the article, She just needs to get a student visa, pay her tuition and come back to school - no problem. It's really not that big of a deal. I'd rather have her working for me than some ignorant uneducated American that refused to avail themselves of the priviledges afforded by this great country.

BTW Brazil is a beautiful country and this time of the year it is very nice.

“Everybody Dies...”

#18 Sep 20, 2010
ga_patriot wrote:
<quoted text>So if a nice girl with friends and a facebook page breaks into your home to better her life you would of course look the other way and let her stay right??? The only life she knows??? Funny we can't send her back to Brazil now because America is the only life she knows...that didn't stop her mother from binging her here to AMERICA and taking her from Brazil which was the only life SHE KNEW then...deport the **** and let someone from Brazil in who has filled out every form and gone to every interview AND IS PATIENTLY WAITING THEIR TURN TO ENTER AMERICA LEGALLY!!!!!!! That is the person we owe an opportunity to better themselves to...the ones who have prooved they can OBEY THE LAW!!!
But that's my point. She isn't out here breaking into my home. What was she supposed to do? Move back to Brazil? What would you have done if you were her? I said in my post that yes the law is the law, I'm just not as hardcore as the rest you lynch mobbers, she's just a normal girl with friends that I'm sure resemble a lot of ya'll, and are probably confilicted in their opinions now that they know someone in that situation. Apparently the only thing I've done to get bad marks on here is have the ability to put myself in others shoes.

“Everybody Dies...”

#19 Sep 20, 2010
It never ceases to amaze me at how 80% of the people posting on Topix take the hardline, extreme stance on everything. Anybody who has anything reasonable or fair to say on behalf of this girl gets judged badly. What's wrong with letting her fix her situation and finishing school? I'm sure her American friends would not object, and I bet a lot of them felt the same as ya'll do, until it hit close to home.
american

Hernando, MS

#20 Sep 20, 2010
Deport her and the mother,check and deport all others who are in achool illegally.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Mississippi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Well, I didna t major in math Wed Its_Me 2
Miss. Board of Education authority eroding Dec 10 Education 1
Our Opinion: Optimism and confidence guide holi... Nov 30 Economy 8
Growing effort focuses on years before kinderga... Nov '14 Think 1
Ole Miss frat suspended, noose suspects kicked out (Feb '14) Oct '14 swedenforever 17
the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal (Tupelo... Aug '14 Media 2
Feds test how stoned is too stoned to drive Jul '14 T Turner 1
More from around the web