University of Mississippi Commemorate...

University of Mississippi Commemorates Integration

There are 52 comments on the www.nytimes.com story from Oct 1, 2012, titled University of Mississippi Commemorates Integration. In it, www.nytimes.com reports that:

There still may be a few bullet holes in the stately white columns of the Lyceum, the Greek Revival building here that symbolizes the University of Mississippi , but most were unintentionally plastered over during a renovation years ago.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.nytimes.com.

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#22 Oct 3, 2012
We are no longer privy to reliable information...why do some want the American people to virtually remain in the dark???

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#23 Oct 3, 2012
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>Well, as I see it, there was a case of clearly selective media coverage which attempted to show only older white folks at the convention. Did MSNBC cover
Artur Davis' speech? People missed out on why he supported Obama and no longer does. The media only let us see what they wanted us to see.
So are you saying that the media is just showing Republicans as racists Teddy?

C'mon.

I know you want to believe that the Republican party is no different in terms of racism than any other.

I've heard many Republicans jump to point out what they see as reverse racism against white people.

Racism by definition is a belief that one's own race is superior and discriminating against others due to that belief.

Do you really think Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton believes blacks are superior Teddy? Or do they harbor their views due to the treatment they've received and seen other blacks received at the hands of racist whites in their time. Do they or any other minority really have the power in today's society to discriminate against whites as a race? Do minorities control the majority of the money in this country?

I mean really think about this T. If a black man distrusts whites because he's been treated poorly by them. Is he racist? You know I'm not saying all white people are racist, I know they are not but unfortunately due to organizations like the Tea party and many people in the Republican party there is still people who treat blacks and minorities the same way they did in the 1950's.
xnutmegger

Phoenix, AZ

#24 Oct 3, 2012
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL,I don't think so Teddy. Being seen as "equally racist" is about all the right can hope for because they are known for their racism.
There is no comparison between Democrats and Republicans when it comes to racism.
Another history rewriter in action.

Dixie-CRATS says it all , they weren't Dixie-CANS.
Those Dixie-CRATS , 18 in number , all stayed Dems but one , Thurmond. Among those Dixie-CRATS was Al Gore Sr. and Clinton's mentor and employer Sen. Fullbright.

Jimmy Carter backed the RACIST Dem Maddox to follow him as governor of Ga. He didn't back the GOPer or stay neutral.

LEFTY rewriting history as usual.

The Dems have been playing the RACE CARD since the 1830s and just cannot stop.

Location hidden

#25 Oct 3, 2012
xnutmegger wrote:
<quoted text>
Another history rewriter in action.
Dixie-CRATS says it all , they weren't Dixie-CANS.
Those Dixie-CRATS , 18 in number , all stayed Dems but one , Thurmond. Among those Dixie-CRATS was Al Gore Sr. and Clinton's mentor and employer Sen. Fullbright.
Jimmy Carter backed the RACIST Dem Maddox to follow him as governor of Ga. He didn't back the GOPer or stay neutral.
LEFTY rewriting history as usual.
The Dems have been playing the RACE CARD since the 1830s and just cannot stop.
You do know it's 2012 right?

So are you denying the racism that plagues the Republican party?
xnutmegger

Phoenix, AZ

#26 Oct 3, 2012
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup.

I don't see any plague here in Az. but I saw some recently by Obama in 2007 preaching to the choir.

Explain this plague precisely.

The Tea Party elected a considerable amount of minorities to office including 3 governors.
It also elected minorities beating out good ole boy mainstream " white " GOP candidates.

As a LEFTY you cannot fathom the libertarian leaning Tea Party's influence on the GOP party .

Location hidden

#27 Oct 3, 2012
xnutmegger wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup.
I don't see any plague here in Az. but I saw some recently by Obama in 2007 preaching to the choir.
Explain this plague precisely.
The Tea Party elected a considerable amount of minorities to office including 3 governors.
It also elected minorities beating out good ole boy mainstream " white " GOP candidates.
As a LEFTY you cannot fathom the libertarian leaning Tea Party's influence on the GOP party .
3? lol

Well, they have to keep up appearances don't they?

Yeah, it has to be that I can't "fathom" it right? It can't be that the Tea Party is inherently racist.
Lonewolf

Leesville, SC

#28 Oct 3, 2012
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
As if obama isn't racist himself,wake the hell up.
xnutmegger

Phoenix, AZ

#29 Oct 3, 2012
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
3? lol
Well, they have to keep up appearances don't they?
Yeah, it has to be that I can't "fathom" it right? It can't be that the Tea Party is inherently racist.
As part of your lack of fathoming plz explain.

The Bluest of the Blue states have never had female governors , not even 3.

Ny. Ca, My, Il, and Ma. Never a female....why ?( unwritten LEFTY rule ?)

My state has had 5 in a row from both parties. What's with LEFTY ?

Of those 3 you diss are two minority females Gov. hernandez of N.M and Nikki Haley of S.C.

So while you , as a LEFTY , knock 3 minority governors by Tea Party power , including 2 females , plz explain why the most Lib states don't allow female governors ?

Location hidden

#30 Oct 3, 2012
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
So are you saying that the media is just showing Republicans as racists Teddy?
C'mon.
I know you want to believe that the Republican party is no different in terms of racism than any other.
I've heard many Republicans jump to point out what they see as reverse racism against white people.
Racism by definition is a belief that one's own race is superior and discriminating against others due to that belief.
Do you really think Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton believes blacks are superior Teddy? Or do they harbor their views due to the treatment they've received and seen other blacks received at the hands of racist whites in their time. Do they or any other minority really have the power in today's society to discriminate against whites as a race? Do minorities control the majority of the money in this country?
I mean really think about this T. If a black man distrusts whites because he's been treated poorly by them. Is he racist? You know I'm not saying all white people are racist, I know they are not but unfortunately due to organizations like the Tea party and many people in the Republican party there is still people who treat blacks and minorities the same way they did in the 1950's.
Both Jackson and Sharpton are disdainful of Jews. They, along with NAACP President Kweisi Mfume, have sided with the notorious anti-Semite Louis Farrakhan. Jesse Jackson has repeatedly referred to New York City as "Hymietown" because of the large numbers of Jewish folks who live there. When the '91 Crown Heights riots took place, Sharpton called Jews "diamond merchants." Sharpton made a shambles of some white boys' lives with that notorious Tiwanna Brawley case. I think they like to instigate blacks against whites...period. Look, I think in their beginnings, they did wonderful things for their people, but something went amiss. I am from Chicago...I watched Jackson and his Rainbow Coalition go from empowering blacks to inciting them to do violence. You know how I feel about that. They have lost their way.

Location hidden

#31 Oct 3, 2012
xnutmegger wrote:
<quoted text>
As part of your lack of fathoming plz explain.
The Bluest of the Blue states have never had female governors , not even 3.
Ny. Ca, My, Il, and Ma. Never a female....why ?( unwritten LEFTY rule ?)
My state has had 5 in a row from both parties. What's with LEFTY ?
Of those 3 you diss are two minority females Gov. hernandez of N.M and Nikki Haley of S.C.
So while you , as a LEFTY , knock 3 minority governors by Tea Party power , including 2 females , plz explain why the most Lib states don't allow female governors ?
LMAO

Are you trying to say democrats are "not allowing" female governors?

Do you have proof of this?

Give me a break.

Tea party rhetoric. You gotta luv it.

Location hidden

#32 Oct 3, 2012
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>Both Jackson and Sharpton are disdainful of Jews. They, along with NAACP President Kweisi Mfume, have sided with the notorious anti-Semite Louis Farrakhan. Jesse Jackson has repeatedly referred to New York City as "Hymietown" because of the large numbers of Jewish folks who live there. When the '91 Crown Heights riots took place, Sharpton called Jews "diamond merchants." Sharpton made a shambles of some white boys' lives with that notorious Tiwanna Brawley case. I think they like to instigate blacks against whites...period. Look, I think in their beginnings, they did wonderful things for their people, but something went amiss. I am from Chicago...I watched Jackson and his Rainbow Coalition go from empowering blacks to inciting them to do violence. You know how I feel about that. They have lost their way.
You know, they were bad examples. I don't really like them either. I'm just saying that even a person like Jackson who you obviously feel is racist. Do you feel that he believes he and his race is superior or do you think it has more to do with the treatment of blacks he's experienced?
xnutmegger

Phoenix, AZ

#33 Oct 3, 2012
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO
Are you trying to say democrats are "not allowing" female governors?
Do you have proof of this?
Give me a break.
Tea party rhetoric. You gotta luv it.
The proof is the standing fact...what more do I need ?

Do I need proof that it will get cold in N.D this winter ?

There was a book and movie once basically about an unwritten law to keep Jews out of country club membership.

Unwritten law " Gentlemans Sgreement " .

Does a " Gentleman's Ageement " exist to keep females from governorships in the most Lib states ?

You think my claim is rediculous just as I think your claim is basically the same...two can play !

You poo poo my three but the most Lib states score " ZERO " with female governors historic total.

There are 4 minority GOP governors . How many LEFTY minority governors ?( One to my knowledge)

LEFTY talks big but gives little power to minorities at the state level.

Location hidden

#34 Oct 3, 2012
xnutmegger wrote:
<quoted text>
The proof is the standing fact...what more do I need ?
Do I need proof that it will get cold in N.D this winter ?
There was a book and movie once basically about an unwritten law to keep Jews out of country club membership.
Unwritten law " Gentlemans Sgreement " .
Does a " Gentleman's Ageement " exist to keep females from governorships in the most Lib states ?
You think my claim is rediculous just as I think your claim is basically the same...two can play !
You poo poo my three but the most Lib states score " ZERO " with female governors historic total.
There are 4 minority GOP governors . How many LEFTY minority governors ?( One to my knowledge)
LEFTY talks big but gives little power to minorities at the state level.
Lol

There are plenty of women and minorities in other positions. Hopefully Hillary will be our first Woman President but then you won't have much to say would you?

This is about racism is it not? We were talking about racism in the Tea Party were we not?

Tea Party racism: What the media won't show

Are Tea Partiers Racist?
http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2010/04...

Yes, There Is Racism in The Tea Party: Video

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2010/07/14/...

The Tea Party Movement not about racism??
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andy-ostroy/the...

Tea Party Racism
http://www.groundreport.com/Opinion/Tea-Party...

Location hidden

#35 Oct 3, 2012
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, they were bad examples. I don't really like them either. I'm just saying that even a person like Jackson who you obviously feel is racist. Do you feel that he believes he and his race is superior or do you think it has more to do with the treatment of blacks he's experienced?
To be honest with you, I don't really know. Years of being in the media tends to turn even people with the best intentions into aberrations of themselves.

Location hidden

#36 Oct 3, 2012
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>To be honest with you, I don't really know. Years of being in the media tends to turn even people with the best intentions into aberrations of themselves.
Ok, but you understand the point I'm trying to make right? Don't get me wrong. I believe everyone has to take responsibility for their racism whether justified by bad experience or not. It's irrational to hate an entire group of people due to the actions of a the few but there is a difference. What do you think T?
xnutmegger

Phoenix, AZ

#37 Oct 3, 2012
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, but you understand the point I'm trying to make right? Don't get me wrong. I believe everyone has to take responsibility for their racism whether justified by bad experience or not. It's irrational to hate an entire group of people due to the actions of a the few but there is a difference. What do you think T?
When in doubt PLAY The RACE CARD.

By who elects what types of Americans by race and gender to office the Tea Party movement is way ahead of LEFTY since the birth of the Tea Party .

You're trying to SPIN facts that don't exist.

I point out results and facts and you still maintain your total ignorance of the real world.

As I have stated over and over " The Dems have been playing the RACE CARD since the 1830s and it's in their DNA ".

If Hassan ,a Dem, doesn't win in N.H. there will be ZERO Dem female governors in the U.S. Why is that ?

The first state to elect a female governor wasn't a Blue/LEFTY/Lib state but the " Wild West " Wyoming and she was a Dem.

What excuse will LEFTY have for ZERO female Dem governors then ?
So much for LEFTY claiming war on women( They have their own war on women).

LEFTY wants women to keep men happy with pregnancy free sex but doesn't want them elected to responsible political offices ( sexist LEFTY ).

Location hidden

#38 Oct 3, 2012
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, MLK told us to judge a man by the content of his character rather than the color of his skin. Many of us said that was good, okay. Why do we have to continue to throw it out there? To me it seems that the race card is usually being used by one group to claim some sort of privilege or used as a reason to devalue another. I don't even know if I am making sense.

Location hidden

#39 Oct 3, 2012
xnutmegger wrote:
<quoted text>
When in doubt PLAY The RACE CARD.
By who elects what types of Americans by race and gender to office the Tea Party movement is way ahead of LEFTY since the birth of the Tea Party .
You're trying to SPIN facts that don't exist.
I point out results and facts and you still maintain your total ignorance of the real world.
As I have stated over and over " The Dems have been playing the RACE CARD since the 1830s and it's in their DNA ".
If Hassan ,a Dem, doesn't win in N.H. there will be ZERO Dem female governors in the U.S. Why is that ?
The first state to elect a female governor wasn't a Blue/LEFTY/Lib state but the " Wild West " Wyoming and she was a Dem.
What excuse will LEFTY have for ZERO female Dem governors then ?
So much for LEFTY claiming war on women( They have their own war on women).
LEFTY wants women to keep men happy with pregnancy free sex but doesn't want them elected to responsible political offices ( sexist LEFTY ).
LOL

If you'll look to to the conversation it was about racism in the Republican party, specifically the Tea Party.

I don't think anyone needs to make an excuse for having less females governors in the party. It's not like it's something being done on purpose, but it's humorous to see you try to use that.

You can continue to try to skirt the subject all you like my original point was there is much more racism in the Republican Party and Tea party than there is the Democratic Party.

Would you like to refute that or continue trying to change the subject to sexism? lol

Location hidden

#40 Oct 3, 2012
There wouldn't be much of a race card to play without Republican racists to make it happen!!

http://www.bevsmithtalks.com/Racism-at-RNC/

Location hidden

#41 Oct 3, 2012
Republican racism and the columnist in denial...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/geoffrey-dunn/r...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Mississippi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Comments Apr 8 Entitled Benefite... 8
News Comments Mar 30 No Special Session 14
News Ole Miss removes Mississippi flag with Confeder... (Oct '15) Mar '18 Southern Girl 4
News Another round of winter weather moves into the ... Jan '18 Jespet 1
News Small town success stories can serve as models ... Dec '17 Birth Control 23
News Ole Miss removes Mississippi flag with Confeder... (Oct '15) Sep '17 Jacksonian Progre... 177
News Comments (Jul '17) Jul '17 Think 1