Colonel Reb Is Dead: Ole Miss Student...

Colonel Reb Is Dead: Ole Miss Students Vote To Replace Mississippi Mascot

There are 344 comments on the www.huffingtonpost.com story from May 19, 2010, titled Colonel Reb Is Dead: Ole Miss Students Vote To Replace Mississippi Mascot. In it, www.huffingtonpost.com reports that:

University of Mississippi students voted Tuesday for the school to pursue a new mascot to replace Colonel Reb, the goateed Southern gent banished from the sidelines nearly seven years ago as the school continued its move away from symbols of the Old South.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.huffingtonpost.com.

fershure

United States

#21 May 28, 2010
"why has it always got to be about RACISM " ????

ANSWER:

Some racist symbols are intentionally 'sly' and encoded, somtimes the biggest racists are the guys on the 20th floor in the corner office who writes the checks to the organizations like the KLAN or the Brotherhood, sometimes he will fully deny even being the least bit prejudice.

Symbolism is always 'loaded'- ALWAYS ! An old white Colonel dressed in a CONFEDERATE ARMY UNIFORM has no relevance today, his mere presence and 'use' is designed to send or convey a message, that message has nothing to do with a prideful South. Any person depicted in Miltary regalia/uniform obviously suggests or connotes 'battle','killing' and subsequent 'death'. It also connotes beligerance, and resistance..neither of which seems appropriate given the clear failure of 'his regime', thereis no value in 'saluting' a LOST CAUSE...being nostalgic about a LOST CAUSE or failure in BATLLE seems quite stupid given the fact that the University of Mississippi is a center of higher learning allegedly, and NOT a 'keeper' of the faith by deliberately endorsing divisive and antequated imagery.

That should be easy enough to fully understand, even for a Fifh Grader from Mississippi or from Massachusetts.

United States

#22 May 28, 2010
i 3rd that....ya'll need to get a life and quit worrying about an old man on a cane with a beard...lot more important issues to deal with in the world today!
Hyatt

AOL

#23 May 29, 2010
How the H#ll, Cares !!! Frat B#ll-shit!
Only in Mississippi! Get a Real Freakin-Life People! World, has Major Global Issues, Not Some, dumb-ass Mascot ORDEAL! Come to Reality, this is so
Nothing !!! I'm Truly Ashame, with this Non-Sense Topix!!!!!!!!!!
Hyatt

AOL

#24 May 29, 2010
Who the H#ll Cares! No One,Cares, other then the Alumni and the freakin Parents of the Spoiled Southern Brats! Makes Me Sad, for these Shallow Frat-Wads
Beautiful Bombshell

United States

#25 May 29, 2010
Where did Hyatt go to school? Was there some rejection at some level? You seem so angry. Did all the frats turn you down or just the one you had your heart set on, poor baby. As to all the racism and old south comments, most of the athletes are black so how can it be racist?
Hyatt

AOL

#26 May 29, 2010
Beautiful Bombshell wrote:
Where did Hyatt go to school? Was there some rejection at some level? You seem so angry. Did all the frats turn you down or just the one you had your heart set on, poor baby. As to all the racism and old south comments, most of the athletes are black so how can it be racist?
Well, Well...Ms. B.B of Bonneville-No, rejection on my behalf! East Coast Fellow. Frat Life, is Not a Main Stream for Success! Most Southern People are Racist! Black Athletes Excel better then most whites.
Memphis sucks

United States

#27 May 29, 2010
I have some dumb commentary on this thing but saying:

"""As to all the racism and old south comments, most of the athletes are black so how can it be racist? """"

this is about the dumbest , simplistic observation I think I have read on Topix. Let me try to break it down for you.

First, having BLACK athletes means nothing, given they are looked at by most whites still as just 'tools' for notoriety , school ranking success in sport.....nothing more

They are in the stands 'cheering' for what is hoped to be 'winners'...nothing more. The same white idiots in the stands claiming 'ownership' of the team members playing their asses off on the FIELD, are the same white idiots who have nothing to do with the black palyers when they walk in the Student Union, the cafeteria, the local pubs/bars. the library, etc.....or the same rednecks that say nasty things about a star football player that may be getting lots of attention from an interested WHITE SORORITY MEMBER like a tri=delta, or A/O/Pi

THAT's the difference you Bombshell racist, simplistic thinker ! I've seen/heard it with my own eyes/ears

having BLACKS on a sports team is meaningless and doesn't validate a 'perceived LACK of racism' on Un of MS campus you moron, and is certainly NO LITMUS test for assessing the existence or lack of racism on the campus of U of MS !

believe me, the only want the blacks there, to HELP the IMAGE of the sports program, and its rankings, and they are smart enough to know that the school CAN'T WIN without the BLACKS they do certainly 'use', mistreat, and even snicker about behind their backs (but never to a man's face)

BTW, some sororities have an UNWRITTEN REQUIREMENT that NONE of their members DATE ANY BLACK MAN not only playing for UM, but out in the community as well !

DID YOU KNOW THAT ??????????

MS, like Memphis is full of shit, and has at least 30 years to go to join the rest of humanity.
Hyatt

AOL

#28 May 30, 2010
Memphis sucks wrote:
I have some dumb commentary on this thing but saying:
"""As to all the racism and old south comments, most of the athletes are black so how can it be racist? """"
this is about the dumbest , simplistic observation I think I have read on Topix. Let me try to break it down for you.
First, having BLACK athletes means nothing, given they are looked at by most whites still as just 'tools' for notoriety , school ranking success in sport.....nothing more
They are in the stands 'cheering' for what is hoped to be 'winners'...nothing more. The same white idiots in the stands claiming 'ownership' of the team members playing their asses off on the FIELD, are the same white idiots who have nothing to do with the black palyers when they walk in the Student Union, the cafeteria, the local pubs/bars. the library, etc.....or the same rednecks that say nasty things about a star football player that may be getting lots of attention from an interested WHITE SORORITY MEMBER like a tri=delta, or A/O/Pi
THAT's the difference you Bombshell racist, simplistic thinker ! I've seen/heard it with my own eyes/ears
having BLACKS on a sports team is meaningless and doesn't validate a 'perceived LACK of racism' on Un of MS campus you moron, and is certainly NO LITMUS test for assessing the existence or lack of racism on the campus of U of MS !
believe me, the only want the blacks there, to HELP the IMAGE of the sports program, and its rankings, and they are smart enough to know that the school CAN'T WIN without the BLACKS they do certainly 'use', mistreat, and even snicker about behind their backs (but never to a man's face)
BTW, some sororities have an UNWRITTEN REQUIREMENT that NONE of their members DATE ANY BLACK MAN not only playing for UM, but out in the community as well !
DID YOU KNOW THAT ??????????
MS, like Memphis is full of shit, and has at least 30 years to go to join the rest of humanity.
Well Written! Kudos to you and your comment! Thanks, Hyatt
Beautiful Bombshell

United States

#29 May 30, 2010
You two genius jackasses don't know a joke when you read one HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I guessed so. Racism isn't only a rich frat whitey thing, it's not all about skin color. The racist who use racism as a means of getting elected or making a living are the modern day slave keepers.
What business is it of anyone's as to the racial make up of sority girl boy friends which has little to do with skin color? There are black greeks, churches and mostly black universities but that doesn't make them all racist. You have Grambling, Memphis & Jack State Tigers and most of their players are black so should Ole M. become the Tigers too? FYI, another joke.
yourestupid

United States

#30 May 30, 2010
^^ that is one of the worst compositions of thought I have ever read, and really, if you were allegedly 'joking' in the FIRST place, you would have set forth that initially.
You're a closet racist
Beautiful Bombshell

United States

#31 May 31, 2010
Another liberal mind reader who knows everything. Did your rejection begin at the frat level or have you been abused since early on? Poor baby needs to keep trying. Maybe ACORN, gay group or some mainstream goth group will be your friend. Go get another tattoo so you will look like you fit in looser. FYI, not a joke looser.
typical

United States

#32 May 31, 2010
the above retort is from an obvious small mind who must resort to hurling thoughtless personal attacks which demonstrates an inability to go beyond the visceral..

mindless stuff
light bulb

United States

#33 Jun 1, 2010
How about changing the mascott to an obese woman holding strips of bacon in her sausage-like fingers? It would be a perfect fit; most people associate the south with that type on individual anyway.
jan

Berwick, PA

#34 Jun 1, 2010
Diane wrote:
who cares. More Major problems going on in Our World! Hunger, No jobs. People struggling to pay the next set of bills. Get over your preppy southern ego and Grow Up! Daddy and Mommy pay for everything so the spoiled brats can go to Ole Miss.
Volunteer your time, to worthy world causes!!!!
maybe you're struggling to pay your bills but not everyone is. sounds like you're a little bitter. if kids, or their parents, can afford to go to ole miss that's nobodys business how or why. oh and guess what... tuition to go to ole miss is little more than that of mississippi state university. if people have a problem with the school- they shouldn't go there. they are the idiots for "supporting" a school that they dont approve of. you are very uneducated my friend.
jan

Berwick, PA

#35 Jun 1, 2010
Hyatt wrote:
Who the H#ll Cares! No One,Cares, other then the Alumni and the freakin Parents of the Spoiled Southern Brats! Makes Me Sad, for these Shallow Frat-Wads
awww... were you rejected from the "in crowd" at some point in your life? sure sounds like it. i detect just a hint of jealousy.
jan

Berwick, PA

#36 Jun 1, 2010
Hyatt wrote:
<quoted text>Well, Well...Ms. B.B of Bonneville-No, rejection on my behalf! East Coast Fellow. Frat Life, is Not a Main Stream for Success! Most Southern People are Racist! Black Athletes Excel better then most whites.
you say that "southern people" are racist and black people "excel" better then (should be THAN by the way) whites. how can you say that when you're not from here. it further promotes the stereotypes that are so grossly inadequate and pushed by the media. you just have no idea. living in the south my whole life that's all i've ever heard. and it's always coming from people that don't live here. with your wealth of knowledge... you could contribute greatly to society... that is if you had enough sense to know when to use "than" and "then".... so sad..
igno

United States

#38 Jun 1, 2010
no one should get a medal for 'living in the south my whole life'

Second, the GD state of Mississippi is NOT indicative of the SOUTH in toto. In fact it may be worst historical example of the South. The 'south' is not a monolith, and MISSISSIPPI is but ONE, very undereducated state when compared to many other states/cities in the South..

let's see: Jackson MS VERSUS Charlotte...hmm

Meridien MS VERSUS Huntsville...hmmm, how about

Biloxi VERSUS Raleigh...hmmmm....how about that bastion of culture, Greenwood MISSISSIPPI

and Starkville is a real winner too
igno

United States

#39 Jun 1, 2010
Mississippi SUCKS,, and that's why Memphis SUCKS so badly too, due to its physical proximity, cultural migrations, and the history of king Cotton

Jan, maybe you ought to try living outside the confines of the SOUTH, then you can speak intelligently about the 'real world' of experience, not the parochialism of never living or experiencing any other way of life/culture/history
Col Reb

United States

#40 Jun 1, 2010
if its so friggin bad down here then why dont you carpetbagging coksuckeng limp wristed yankee boys stay up there and keep ur ignorant azz comments up there too...we dont need ya
Col Reb

United States

#41 Jun 1, 2010
that should be igmo not igno.... Florida....ROFL.....land of the cuban refugees and old retired yankees....only good thing that ever came outa Florida is I-95, I-75 & I-10...GFY

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Mississippi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ole Miss removes Mississippi flag with Confeder... (Oct '15) Jun 24 Samuel-7g-Jackson 200
News The Day We Lost RFK: Will His Son Elevate Pover... Jun 11 No doubt 1
News a Ia ve got nothing to hidea : Fox Newsa Shepar... May '17 Theocraencyclical 3
News Tupelo man rebuilt his life after opioid abuse May '17 Ethics 1
News Serial entrepreneur' Ed Meek keeps on pioneering Apr '17 Daily Journal Owner 2
News Our Opinion: Strategies for attracting top teac... Apr '17 False Advertising 14
News In the spotlight: Tupelo teacher enjoys prepari... Apr '17 Drive 1
More from around the web