Colonel Reb Is Dead: Ole Miss Student...

Colonel Reb Is Dead: Ole Miss Students Vote To Replace Mississippi Mascot

There are 344 comments on the www.huffingtonpost.com story from May 19, 2010, titled Colonel Reb Is Dead: Ole Miss Students Vote To Replace Mississippi Mascot. In it, www.huffingtonpost.com reports that:

University of Mississippi students voted Tuesday for the school to pursue a new mascot to replace Colonel Reb, the goateed Southern gent banished from the sidelines nearly seven years ago as the school continued its move away from symbols of the Old South.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.huffingtonpost.com.

ThomasA

Leeds, AL

#336 Dec 7, 2010
Realistic wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for telling me how I know what I know. I'm glad you know everything about me. I'm glad you know that I have never experienced racism in any way at all. You are just a genius. If the definition of genius = dumbass.
And for you to try to say somebody is using racism as a crutch...regardless of what it is used for. Just admit that it exists. You know it does, just like you know you are a racist.
And just because I'm not afraid to call you a racist, does not make me a racist. Just because I despise racist like you, I guess you feel justified by saying that some blacks are racist.
Tell the truth, if there were not blacks that were racist, then they would have to be idiots.
And I'm sure you noticed that I did not say that all whites are racist. But they do exist.
Explain why I made a 25 on a college essay, where I stated that the state flag of Mississippi should be changed...by the way I made 90 and above on all my other essays.
I didn't even realize the reason at first, but after I thought about it...it was because the teacher was white and apparently a racist. Whether she admits it or not, the truth speaks for itself. And the truth hurts. When I asked her for my paper back, because I was going straight to the dean...somehow she lost it. In other words, she wanted to save her job.
You're drowning in a ocean of self-pity. Your cries for help are falling on deaf ears. Sorry.

“SEC = Bandwagon”

Since: Dec 06

Cleveland, Ms,

#337 Dec 7, 2010
Realistic wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for telling me how I know what I know. I'm glad you know everything about me. I'm glad you know that I have never experienced racism in any way at all. You are just a genius. If the definition of genius = dumbass.
And for you to try to say somebody is using racism as a crutch...regardless of what it is used for. Just admit that it exists. You know it does, just like you know you are a racist.
And just because I'm not afraid to call you a racist, does not make me a racist. Just because I despise racist like you, I guess you feel justified by saying that some blacks are racist.
Tell the truth, if there were not blacks that were racist, then they would have to be idiots.
And I'm sure you noticed that I did not say that all whites are racist. But they do exist.
Explain why I made a 25 on a college essay, where I stated that the state flag of Mississippi should be changed...by the way I made 90 and above on all my other essays.
I didn't even realize the reason at first, but after I thought about it...it was because the teacher was white and apparently a racist. Whether she admits it or not, the truth speaks for itself. And the truth hurts. When I asked her for my paper back, because I was going straight to the dean...somehow she lost it. In other words, she wanted to save her job.
Are you serious that you got a 25 on an Essay where you stated that the State Flag of Mississippi should be changed?
Realistic

Greenwood, MS

#338 Dec 7, 2010
ThomasA wrote:
<quoted text> You're drowning in a ocean of self-pity. Your cries for help are falling on deaf ears. Sorry.
First of all I'm not crying for help...and if I needed help, I definitely would not turn to you. But thanks for the offer anyway.
Realistic

Greenwood, MS

#339 Dec 7, 2010
BigDan wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you serious that you got a 25 on an Essay where you stated that the State Flag of Mississippi should be changed?
I have no reason to lie.
Realistic

Greenwood, MS

#340 Dec 7, 2010
Matt wrote:
<quoted text>
I do disagree with you because you are wrong. Slavery had absolutely nothing to do with the start of the civil war! If you want to know the truth, then do your research and find out what Lincoln really thought about negroes.
Maybe you need to read the post you replied to again...because no where did I mention that slavery started the civil war. So get your head out of your ass
Realistic

Greenwood, MS

#341 Dec 7, 2010
Matt wrote:
<quoted text>
If you thought that teacher is racist, why didn't you call jesse "JACKASS" jackson, the honorable rev. "GOD DAMN AMERICA" wright, henry "PROFESSOR OF TEACHING HATE" gates to have another million man march for this huge injustice? LOL
The reason I did not cry out loud for help is because I was going to handle it all by myself. I did not need any help. Did you read the part where I said I was going to take it to the Dean, but somehow the teacher could not find my paper. She claimed that she lost it. So once again, take your head out of your ass.
Matt

Saltillo, MS

#342 Dec 8, 2010
Realistic wrote:
<quoted text>
Regardless of what started the Civil War, you cannot disagree with the fact that slavery was a major part of it. And you telling me to go read a history book. Have you ever noticed that history books tell different stories. There are several sides to every story. The truth is that the south was fighting the central government, which includes the act of treason. Even after losing the war, they were granted amnesty, when then should have been put in prison.
And just because there were blacks that fought as confederates, is not gonna change the fact that slavery was a central issue. I'm sure the blacks that fought either did not know what they were fighting for. I'm sure they were not told that they would be slaves after the ended if the south won.
Also note how you said there were free blacks that fought. If they did, then they were just some uncle toms anyway. They only did it because whites treated them special, at least that's what they thought anyway. Because if they knew the truth about the south, then they would not have been involved, unless they were complete idiots.
And back to reading history books...have you noticed how many history books ignore black history. Most history books are fiction. Because I'm sure that not every word in a history book is completely true, and a partial truth is still a lie. Whenever someone writes a history book, there is going to be bias. They will state only particular things they feel necessary to state. Many facts are left out.
At the end of the day, one thing in particular that we know is that the confederates wanted slavery to remain in place. And if you have a confederate flag hanging around, then it is just like me having a sign that says "White People = Ugly Bitches"
OMG! read your own post negro! you said,"Regardless of what started the Civil War, you cannot disagree with the fact that slavery was a major part of it." I would try to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my ass. You need to lay down that crack pipe, pull your damn pants up, get a job, and quit blaming whitey for all your problems.
ThomasA

Ashville, AL

#343 Dec 8, 2010
Realistic wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason I did not cry out loud for help is because I was going to handle it all by myself. I did not need any help. Did you read the part where I said I was going to take it to the Dean, but somehow the teacher could not find my paper. She claimed that she lost it. So once again, take your head out of your ass.
You seem to have the mindset of Archie Bunker,a bitter person who enjoys being bitter. Please don't pass this 'tude on to your kids. Let them excell without wanting to blame everything and everybody but themselves for their failures but gloat in their sucesses..The world doesn't need a new crop of bitter people.

“SEC = Bandwagon”

Cleveland, Ms,

#344 Dec 8, 2010
Realistic wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no reason to lie.
Did they give you extra credit or something. I can't see them giving you anything above a 10 for rehashing Jessie Jackson talking points, in the essay did you also have that not only should they remove the flag but also donate millions to your foundation that is your sole source of income? They probably should have done the right thing by you and gave you an 100 because you are black, right?
Realistic

Glendora, MS

#345 Dec 8, 2010
BigDan wrote:
<quoted text>
Did they give you extra credit or something. I can't see them giving you anything above a 10 for rehashing Jessie Jackson talking points, in the essay did you also have that not only should they remove the flag but also donate millions to your foundation that is your sole source of income? They probably should have done the right thing by you and gave you an 100 because you are black, right?
Do you even make sense to yourself?
First of all, let's set the record straight. I made a 90 or above on all other essays.

This assignment was to write a persuasive essay. So I wrote an essay trying to persuade why the flag should be changed. The color of my skin should not have anything to do with my grade, which it probably didn't. It was the content of the essay. The teacher simply did not like the subject.

Even though the purpose of persuasion is to convince someone to change their mind. So even if she did not like the subject, she should have seen through it.

And by the way, I did mention that she claimed to have lost the paper when I said I was going to take it to the dean. And let's just say that the 25 in the grade-book became an "A"
Realistic

Glendora, MS

#346 Dec 8, 2010
Matt wrote:
<quoted text>
OMG! read your own post negro! you said,"Regardless of what started the Civil War, you cannot disagree with the fact that slavery was a major part of it." I would try to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my ass. You need to lay down that crack pipe, pull your damn pants up, get a job, and quit blaming whitey for all your problems.
Slavery was a major part of the civil war as a whole. I did not say it was a major part of the start dumbass.
And say what you want...apparently you must be a fag since you talking about crack, and pullin yo pants up...either that or you just need to take your head out of your ass...
Realistic

Glendora, MS

#347 Dec 8, 2010
ThomasA wrote:
<quoted text> You seem to have the mindset of Archie Bunker,a bitter person who enjoys being bitter. Please don't pass this 'tude on to your kids. Let them excell without wanting to blame everything and everybody but themselves for their failures but gloat in their sucesses..The world doesn't need a new crop of bitter people.
Call me what you want. Don't get mad because I'm not afraid to speak the facts. Trust me, you don't know me at all. I apologize for not being superficial as you would like me to be.

Thanks for assuming that I'm a failure. Or are you mad because I'm not an idiot. The truth hurts, and it is apparently that you can't handle the truth.

I base my life on principles and truth, not on idiotogoly (an idiot's ideology).

“SEC = Bandwagon”

Cleveland, Ms,

#348 Dec 8, 2010
Realistic wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you even make sense to yourself?
First of all, let's set the record straight. I made a 90 or above on all other essays.
This assignment was to write a persuasive essay. So I wrote an essay trying to persuade why the flag should be changed. The color of my skin should not have anything to do with my grade, which it probably didn't. It was the content of the essay. The teacher simply did not like the subject.
Even though the purpose of persuasion is to convince someone to change their mind. So even if she did not like the subject, she should have seen through it.
And by the way, I did mention that she claimed to have lost the paper when I said I was going to take it to the dean. And let's just say that the 25 in the grade-book became an "A"
Listen, I wasn't the dumbass that got a 25, have a nice day and try again.
Realistic

Greenwood, MS

#349 Dec 8, 2010
BigDan wrote:
<quoted text>
Listen, I wasn't the dumbass that got a 25, have a nice day and try again.
You are a dumbass if you think I got a 25 after it was all said and done. Apparently you didn't read when I said the grade was changed to an A.

I would have been a dumbass if I did not confront the situation. Since I had no shame in confronting the issue, I did not turn out to be the dumbass she thought I was.

Tell the truth...shame the devil

“SEC = Bandwagon”

Cleveland, Ms,

#350 Dec 8, 2010
Realistic wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a dumbass if you think I got a 25 after it was all said and done. Apparently you didn't read when I said the grade was changed to an A.
I would have been a dumbass if I did not confront the situation. Since I had no shame in confronting the issue, I did not turn out to be the dumbass she thought I was.
Tell the truth...shame the devil
well I am aware that affirmavtive action got you an A, not merit. That is how you have decided to make it in life. I just wish you wouldn't be so binded by your race to think it was ok. It could care less what color you are, the content of you character is important to me,,,,you are lacking there because you have a closed mind. Try arguing with someone that will listen to you and is dumb enough to listen to your illogical babel
Realistic

Glendora, MS

#351 Dec 8, 2010
BigDan wrote:
<quoted text>
well I am aware that affirmavtive action got you an A, not merit. That is how you have decided to make it in life. I just wish you wouldn't be so binded by your race to think it was ok. It could care less what color you are, the content of you character is important to me,,,,you are lacking there because you have a closed mind. Try arguing with someone that will listen to you and is dumb enough to listen to your illogical babel
How did affirmative action get me an A when the paper was never found. I did not even connect the fact that she was a racist until I thought about it a couple years down the road. I asked for the paper back because I wanted to see how did I make a 25. And i was going to take it to the dean to see if the dean agreed that the grade was appropriate. There was way too much going on for me to think about racism at that particular time...and when I say too much, I mean too much. Including the fact that I was in a major car accident.

One reason why I didn't connect the dots to her being a racist is because I did a speech in my speech class about the same topic. And just so you know, I was the only black in that particular class. The teacher was also white, and he gave me an A.

My purpose of writing the essay was not in an effort to stir up racism. It was my personal feeling that I felt the flag needed to be changed and I knew that not everybody agreed. My assignment was to persuade. So I wrote an essay trying to give people an idea of why it should be changed in my opinion.

And you keep saying that I'm using my race as an excuse. Trust me, I'm not using my race as an excuse. And if you really knew me, you would not take me as a joke. I'm just not superficial to the truth, whether regarding racism, or just society itself. I'm not the kind of person that will start doing drugs just because my friends think it is cool. If I have to change who I am for them to appreciate me, then I guess we won't be friends.

And I am not the type of person that can sweep things under the rug. The truth bothers me and I prefer closure. Even if closure means the end to a friendship. I'd rather have nothing, instead of being confused about what i actually have.
Realistic

Glendora, MS

#352 Dec 8, 2010
BigDan wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh and on one more note, I finished up a 4 year degree in 3 years. So I guess I blackmailed all my teachers. Oh but I did get favors from the Director and the Dean when they granted me an Overload Request for a few semesters

“SEC = Bandwagon”

Cleveland, Ms,

#353 Dec 9, 2010
Realistic wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh and on one more note, I finished up a 4 year degree in 3 years. So I guess I blackmailed all my teachers. Oh but I did get favors from the Director and the Dean when they granted me an Overload Request for a few semesters
the only way someone doesn't get a BS or BA in 3 years is if they are lazy. Most college kids are lazy so they take 4 or 5. I got my engineering degree in 9 years. That's because I served my country for 6 in between.
Mississippi gurl

Olive Branch, MS

#354 Dec 9, 2010
BigDan wrote:
<quoted text>
the only way someone doesn't get a BS or BA in 3 years is if they are lazy. Most college kids are lazy so they take 4 or 5. I got my engineering degree in 9 years. That's because I served my country for 6 in between.
WOW! THATS GREAT.GOOD JOB
Realistic

Glendora, MS

#355 Dec 9, 2010
BigDan wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, so that let's you know that I'm not lazy and I earned mines. Affirmative action had nothing to do with what I achieved. Considering that I was a Dean's scholar and Presidential scholar a few semesters and I found it weird that I actually did my best when I had the Overload and was taking 21 hours in a single semester.

And I have considered serving my country, because my dad was in the Air Force. But he always told me that it would be best to get a degree first so that I could start out as an officer. He's dead now, so I don't really wanna talk about him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Mississippi Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Another round of winter weather moves into the ... Jan 13 Jespet 1
News Small town success stories can serve as models ... Dec '17 Birth Control 23
News Ole Miss removes Mississippi flag with Confeder... (Oct '15) Sep '17 Jacksonian Progre... 177
News Comments (Jul '17) Jul '17 Think 1
News The Day We Lost RFK: Will His Son Elevate Pover... (Jun '17) Jun '17 No doubt 1
News a Ia ve got nothing to hidea : Fox Newsa Shepar... (May '17) May '17 Theocraencyclical 3
News Tupelo man rebuilt his life after opioid abuse (May '17) May '17 Ethics 1
More from around the web