Colonel Reb Is Dead: Ole Miss Students Vote To Replace Mississippi Mascot

May 19, 2010 | Posted by: breadnbutter | Full story: www.huffingtonpost.com

University of Mississippi students voted Tuesday for the school to pursue a new mascot to replace Colonel Reb, the goateed Southern gent banished from the sidelines nearly seven years ago as the school continued its move away from symbols of the Old South.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of344
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2010

I can't believe the mascot is changing.

What do you guys think it should be instead? Anybody know if there are any front runners?
Diane

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2010

Judged:

who cares. More Major problems going on in Our World! Hunger, No jobs. People struggling to pay the next set of bills. Get over your preppy southern ego and Grow Up! Daddy and Mommy pay for everything so the spoiled brats can go to Ole Miss.
Volunteer your time, to worthy world causes!!!!

Since: Mar 10

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2010

Judged:

Diane wrote:
who cares. More Major problems going on in Our World! Hunger, No jobs. People struggling to pay the next set of bills. Get over your preppy southern ego and Grow Up! Daddy and Mommy pay for everything so the spoiled brats can go to Ole Miss.
Volunteer your time, to worthy world causes!!!!
Somebody needs to switch to decaf.
Diane

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2010

Judged:

F Willie wrote:
<quoted text>
Somebody needs to switch to decaf.
Thanks for my morning Chuckle Mr. Memphis! My comment is True!
Ole Miss the the spoiled little rich kids college. Everything revolves around the prep life! Not a True Ivy Leage College.
They follow the junior league Mom and Dad life style. Bunch of Snobs!!!
VERY TRUE

Bradenton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2010

Judged:

The UNiversity if Mississippi is the only university in the nation that officially goes by a 'nickname'('Ole Miss'), and you are correct , they think it's a freeking private ivy league educational institution, which is laughable to most students that attend schools such as U of Penn, Boston College, Dartmouth, Yale, BC, Wellesley even, Smith and beyond. The school has always been caught up in image and not very much substance, of all the new hires I interviewed that were recent college graduates, the graduates of Univ of Mississippi ranked among the lowest in skill, even when compared to recent graduates of other truly southern-based schools such as Rhodes, Univ of TN, Univ of AL even, Samford Univ, Bham-Southern, Sewanee, Oglethorpe, New College.

If you think graduates of U of MS are regarded by American/foreign business the same as graduates, say from Univ of Chicago even, then you're crazy, yes now even in 2010. U of MS does however have several schools of study that are very good- like the law school..but on balance, the students need to focus on higher educational accomplishment rather than dumb anachronistic 'mascots' for stupid sporting events.. and less partying, profiling, and wasting their time and parents money, and stop deluding themselves into thinking they are in attendance to some exclusive PRIVATE college..hell, it's the STATE university of the STATE of freeking-damn Mississippi. In some cases MS STATE is a better school. Screw that dumbazz white ole plantation male mascot ! there are more pressing issues for the state of MS and the nation, believe me..

and by definition,'prep style' and attitude did not originate in freekin MS....that's an east coast elite phenom ! they are out of place
Sambo

Booneville, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2010

Judged:

This is just another example of political correctness gone amuck. It seems that black folks, which represents 13 of the total U.S. population, rule everything. Since blacks, find Colonel Reb offensive, maybe we should change the mascott to Colonel Sanders. Since nobody loves fried chicken more than them, how can they object?
Beautiful Bombshell

Pensacola, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2010

Judged:

The Ole Miss "Turds" would be nice.
Diane

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2010

Judged:

VERY TRUE wrote:
The UNiversity if Mississippi is the only university in the nation that officially goes by a 'nickname'('Ole Miss'), and you are correct , they think it's a freeking private ivy league educational institution, which is laughable to most students that attend schools such as U of Penn, Boston College, Dartmouth, Yale, BC, Wellesley even, Smith and beyond. The school has always been caught up in image and not very much substance, of all the new hires I interviewed that were recent college graduates, the graduates of Univ of Mississippi ranked among the lowest in skill, even when compared to recent graduates of other truly southern-based schools such as Rhodes, Univ of TN, Univ of AL even, Samford Univ, Bham-Southern, Sewanee, Oglethorpe, New College.
If you think graduates of U of MS are regarded by American/foreign business the same as graduates, say from Univ of Chicago even, then you're crazy, yes now even in 2010. U of MS does however have several schools of study that are very good- like the law school..but on balance, the students need to focus on higher educational accomplishment rather than dumb anachronistic 'mascots' for stupid sporting events.. and less partying, profiling, and wasting their time and parents money, and stop deluding themselves into thinking they are in attendance to some exclusive PRIVATE college..hell, it's the STATE university of the STATE of freeking-damn Mississippi. In some cases MS STATE is a better school. Screw that dumbazz white ole plantation male mascot ! there are more pressing issues for the state of MS and the nation, believe me..
and by definition,'prep style' and attitude did not originate in freekin MS....that's an east coast elite phenom ! they are out of place
Ditto, I agree 1000% with your entire comment. Mississippi State is far better University, then Ole Miss will ever be! Architecture, Engineering, much more. Ole Miss is behind with the times. Correct, elite ivy colleges are from East Coast. Ole Miss is a joke! Party school at Dad and Moms expense. Mississippi has other major worries and issues. You are RIGHT On!
VERY TRUE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2010

Judged:

yep, there are much better schools in the region for sure, let's try VANDERBILT.lol for starters, even Georgia Tech for engineering, Cumberland SChool of Law in Homewood, AL, UAB MED School...heck, anybody remember the fine school of Agnes Scott ? Look, the State of MS is hardly the historical bastion of academic anything.. as I stated, I have interviewed too many graduates of U of MS to count, and my experience is that most could not construct a cogent complex sentence. The drop out rate for female students in the first year is off the chart, and always has been, then funny enough, the same dummies ended up on the 6 year plan at the old "Memphis State", also and still known as "Tiger High"..but at least the U of Memphis has come up in the world in several schools of study..if I HAD to send my daughter to school anywhere in freekin MS (which I would doubt), it would be MS STATE well before U of MS..heck I would send her to U of IL Urbana, U of Iowa, Texas (another party school, but)..you send your kids to college to broaden their skills, outlook, and exposure, not to make it more narrow, or to pledge freekin tri-deltas...lol

and RACE has nothing to do with..unless you are already a rebel-flag-waving MS kluxer in the first place

King Cotton is dead, so is the Confederacy, and the STATE SCHOOL serving all citizens, needs to behave like it, it's not 1865 people
VERY TRUE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2010

Judged:

er, I would NOT send my daughter to U OF MS, that is

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2010

Judged:

Why have a mascot that represents hate and racism. Alot of colleges have been forced to change thier names away from racism towards indians. This isn't an indian racism but its very relevant. I know i wouldn't want a team called the Honkies or Crackers. It just needs to be changed.
theyrecornfused

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2010

Judged:

lots of U of MS Colonel supporters seem to confuse southern heritage with old-school, old-south, "we-wish-it-was-the-way-i t-was" culture..look, some of these idiots really do long for concepts such as 'white supremacy' or 'supremacy of white culture', therein lies the problem, some of these people simply don't like the plain fact that their 'societal reign' as arbiters of social structure, social class, race relations, southern politics, southern heritage, etc, is GONE..and gone forever, the South 'ain't-ah comin' back'..certainly not in terms of what was prevalent in the days of when "The Colonel" was in his delussional historical heyday..and it bothers some of these idiots to this day for some very odd reason given the fact it's the 21st CENTURY (even in Mississippi). Colonel Reb's so-called 'dominance' of Mississippi society was a myth then, and certainly is one today in 2010 for heaven's sake. Historically, most people outside the South laughed at the image of Colonel Reb, and black folks probably thought that a 'real' Colonel Reb was impotent anyway, and I dare say that most black folks still regard him as a pathetic, cartoonish figure representing a sad, fond, futile 'remembrance' of a failed and sick society prevalent in the State of Mississippi, which stunted the growth of Mississippi in the first place......but these idiots don't even have sense enough to understand this simple impediment

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2010

Judged:

theyrecornfused wrote:
lots of U of MS Colonel supporters seem to confuse southern heritage with old-school, old-south, "we-wish-it-was-the-way-i t-was" culture..look, some of these idiots really do long for concepts such as 'white supremacy' or 'supremacy of white culture', therein lies the problem, some of these people simply don't like the plain fact that their 'societal reign' as arbiters of social structure, social class, race relations, southern politics, southern heritage, etc, is GONE..and gone forever, the South 'ain't-ah comin' back'..certainly not in terms of what was prevalent in the days of when "The Colonel" was in his delussional historical heyday..and it bothers some of these idiots to this day for some very odd reason given the fact it's the 21st CENTURY (even in Mississippi). Colonel Reb's so-called 'dominance' of Mississippi society was a myth then, and certainly is one today in 2010 for heaven's sake. Historically, most people outside the South laughed at the image of Colonel Reb, and black folks probably thought that a 'real' Colonel Reb was impotent anyway, and I dare say that most black folks still regard him as a pathetic, cartoonish figure representing a sad, fond, futile 'remembrance' of a failed and sick society prevalent in the State of Mississippi, which stunted the growth of Mississippi in the first place......but these idiots don't even have sense enough to understand this simple impediment
i agree
b rad

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

Judged:

jeez how do these idiot ass carpetbaggers know so much about us "po' ole rednecks"..........dont like our school, our HERITAGE, our ways or our lifestyle????? Then keep ur dipshit Obammy voting asses outa here
ERNIE-W-CORINTH

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

Judged:

b rad wrote:
jeez how do these idiot ass carpetbaggers know so much about us "po' ole rednecks"..........dont like our school, our HERITAGE, our ways or our lifestyle????? Then keep ur dipshit Obammy voting asses outa here
You don't have to be a Red-Neck or Southerner, for Not Liking Ole Miss Mascot! Different Time and Now it Needs to be Replaced with a More Positive Symbol of the New South and Generation. Heritage is a Great Thing, as long as it sends a more positive message. South has long been associated with
Racist People and Ideas. Time to pure the Country Wrong! Lot of Southern Republicans that Disagree with this passe Mascot. Ole Miss is a State College. Needs reform in that past-tense Mascot.
idiots

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

Judged:

what a tool 'b rad'

what's this crap "don't like OUR school" ?? wake up you moron, there is no such thing as 'our school', let's get it straight, The Univ of MS is a PUBLIC SCHOOL.. duh

what's "our ways" ?? does that mean ways of racists ?

btw, the State of MS probably has more non-white citizens than most other southern states

being a southerner is not congruent with being a dumbazz racist redneck ! got it ?

b rad, you need to get a grip and understand it's 2010, and we're not going time-backwards to the 1800s you fool- everyone should celebrate their history, past and culture, but just because something happened in the past that perhaps you liked or even agreed with, doesn't make it right or morally justified, but you're too stupid even in using antiquated nomenclature like "carpetbaggers" !

The world has changed buttwipe, much to your dismay. The South has changed. We are now existing in a global society, culture and economy.

Thank god there are intelligent southerners out there, and even in MS, and obviously the majority of the voting students at U of M understand what time it is, you apparently don't.

Get over it buster, it's a new world, well except in your narrow little head.

Brown folks, yellow folks, black folks, red folks and white folks aren't going anywhere, you're stuck with each other....FOREVER...lol

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

Judged:

idiots has the right name....b4 any of u PC, all race lovers start spoutin off facts check them...mississippi is over 60% white vs 37% black
and b4 u start defending them you oughta hafta be around them a few months and see how quick ur attitude changes....yep we live in 2010 and the world is goin down the shitter quick thanks to idiots like the 2 above
fact

Largo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

Judged:

well, guest from goddam Brandon MISSISSIPPI, having a popluace of 37% BLACK in ONE STATE is well above the national average, and above most southern states' average you big dummie !

and I doubt your own 'attitude' has ot 'changed' or evolved in the first goddam place ! why? because you are obviously a racist my friend

again obviously a RACIST...soooooo you don't HAVE any credibility in 2010

get used to it you stupid stupid fella ! you're just another out-dated, angry white redneck, BUT you are entitled to 'spout off' your garbage !

only in America ! thank god, and thank Jesus, who by the way was a non-white JEW, you fukkin idiot

Houlka, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

Judged:

It doesn't make a difference what percentage of the population is of any given race. Is the school going to make blacks stop wearing African clothes? Or Malcolm x shirts? Are they going to stop Mexicans from wearing clothes that show pride in their heritage or even make them speak English? Everyone has a right to be proud of their heritage. That includes Whites. Just because you have pride in your race and in your heritage doesn't make you racist. Nor does it mean you agreed with slavery. Does the black race cosider that their own race was the ones that sold them to slave traders in Africa? If one can show pride then everyone can. Nobody alive today lived in those times. Get over it. Col. Reb was just old man with beard. Why has it always got to be about racism?

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

Judged:

Guest wrote:
It doesn't make a difference what percentage of the population is of any given race. Is the school going to make blacks stop wearing African clothes? Or Malcolm x shirts? Are they going to stop Mexicans from wearing clothes that show pride in their heritage or even make them speak English? Everyone has a right to be proud of their heritage. That includes Whites. Just because you have pride in your race and in your heritage doesn't make you racist. Nor does it mean you agreed with slavery. Does the black race cosider that their own race was the ones that sold them to slave traders in Africa? If one can show pride then everyone can. Nobody alive today lived in those times. Get over it. Col. Reb was just old man with beard. Why has it always got to be about racism?
Well said. Agreed.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of344
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••