Gay marriage opponents speak out at UMaine

Apr 9, 2012 Full story: WMTW-TV Auburn 64

Two outspoken opponents of same-sex marriage are speaking out at the University of Maine on the first day of the school's annual pride week.

Read more
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#61 Apr 12, 2012
disaster in the making wrote:
<quoted text>
Not so simple sunshine, I live in one of those snow bird states there are local things that they are able to vote on when you sign in to vote, Photo ID with magnetic strip required a customized ballot is lazer printed, when you absentee ballot that enters into a national data base, you might be punching cards or pulling levers were using start of the art computerized voting in the sunshine state.
Yeah, they're making it harder, but in 34 states you can still vote without a photo ID. And in 18 states you can vote without showing ANY form of ID; all you have to do is be registered.

Btw, there is no national absentee database, only statewide ones as required under HAVA (2002). Of course typical of any govt run system, there are approximately 50 different databases, non of which are compatible with the other. So voting officials in Minnesota can't check the database for Iowa, etc.

Tawas City, Michigan

#62 Apr 12, 2012
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
TO grant an en banc hearing would imply that possibly there were some irregularities in prior hearings, or that new data is available.
The problem is that with each successive hearing the parameters of the allowed data that will move on to SCOTUS is pared down further.
In theory you are correct; in reality they can grant an en banc hearing for whatever reason they want. It's entirely up to the judges.

Tawas City, Michigan

#63 Apr 12, 2012
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm still trying to understand the calculus involved in asking for the en banc hearing. On the one hand, further delays don't hurt the Prop 8 proponents because Judge Walker's ruling will be stayed until the final SCOTUS action. So only the plaintiffs suffer from the delay.
On the other hand, Prop 8 proponents seem unlikely to win the en banc review. So it will go to SCOTUS with more weight behind the decision.
And then there is gamesmanship with the make-up of SCOTUS. Delay increases the odds that whoever wins the November election will get to choose one of the justices who decide. And I don't think proponents should be counting on having President Romney.
All in all, I think proponents are playing a loosing hand. And maybe they agree. So their only satisfaction is to drag out their loss as long as possible.
Bingo!

That's why they waited until the very last day of the 14 day deadline to request the en banc review. And I'd bet that if they are denied their review, they'll wait until the 90th day to file their petition for certiorari with the SCOTUS just to delay things as much as possible.

That means the earliest a decision could come from the SCOTUS on whether or not to take the case would be Oct.
Josiah B

South Portland, ME

#64 Apr 19, 2012
I think you all need to stop your whining and bitching. Just because you have an empty life doesn't mean you should oppose what I like. Bunch of cry babies if you ask me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Maine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why is Michelle Obama coming to Maine? (Sep '14) Dec '14 fedupwiththemess 3
News Bear-baiting ban helps drive Maine voters to polls Nov '14 Ace McMillan 1
Local Bars Nov '14 Bry n Jon 2
News Pray tackles impending blindness head-on (Sep '14) Sep '14 Weatheringthetide 1
News Deerfield's new police chief crossing state lines (Aug '14) Aug '14 JLK 1
News No, Millennials Aren't Obsessed With Hooking Up (Jul '14) Jul '14 Thomas J Ruthefor... 1
News Mount View graduate to serve as Chief Nurse of ... (Jul '13) May '14 Brian 3
More from around the web