Gay marriage opponents speak out at U...

Gay marriage opponents speak out at UMaine

There are 64 comments on the WMTW-TV Auburn story from Apr 9, 2012, titled Gay marriage opponents speak out at UMaine. In it, WMTW-TV Auburn reports that:

Two outspoken opponents of same-sex marriage are speaking out at the University of Maine on the first day of the school's annual pride week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WMTW-TV Auburn.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Steve

Pekin, IL

#1 Apr 9, 2012
It's good that people of character stand up to the cruel lie and fraud of homosexual 'marriage.'

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#2 Apr 9, 2012
Steve wrote:
It's good that people of character stand up to the cruel lie and fraud of homosexual 'marriage.'
STFU David.......and seek more therapy that hasn't worked!!!

People don't have to like the fact that Same-Sex Couples are getting married......but they DON'T have a right to deny it either!!!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#3 Apr 9, 2012
"Pride Week" in APRIL ?!?!?!?!

WTF !!!
Mormon Dead Jew Baptisms

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Apr 9, 2012
snyper wrote:
"Pride Week" in APRIL
Colleges are not fully in session in June.

U of Penn's is in March for this reason.

What did you think they should do?
Mormon Dead Jew Baptisms

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Apr 9, 2012
>Gay marriage opponents speak out at UMaine

The freeeks are setting up a table and asking for donations and holding a press conference. They are permitted on campus in the interest of diversity, but it's not like they're invited as part of glbt pride activities there.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#6 Apr 9, 2012
Mormon Dead Jew Baptisms wrote:
<quoted text>
Colleges are not fully in session in June.
U of Penn's is in March for this reason.
What did you think they should do?
At least May. It's warmer.

Then there's National Coming Out Day in the Fall.

FaFoxy

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

#7 Apr 9, 2012
snyper wrote:
"Pride Week" in APRIL ?!?!?!?!
WTF !!!
Yeah, I wondered about that too. Gay Pride Week is tradtionally the last week in June (first week of summer), because of the Stonewall Riots.
Mormon Dead Jew Baptisms

Philadelphia, PA

#8 Apr 9, 2012
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounded as though you were referencing the fact that Stonewall and most actual, city Pride celebrations were/are in June or thereabouts, not complaining about chilly weather in April.

Colleges do not generally have Pride marches for their glbt Pride weeks. More like dances and lectures, i.e., indoor activities.

Since: Jan 12

New Port Richey, FL

#9 Apr 10, 2012
The freeeks are setting up a table and asking for donations and holding a press conference. They are permitted on campus in the interest of diversity, but it's not like they're invited as part of glbt pride activities there.
that's what they call diversity. sounds more like anti-diversity

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#10 Apr 10, 2012
Somehow, I don't think they'll collect many donations or followers at Orono. I think it underscores how out-of-touch they are.

Littleton, NH

#11 Apr 10, 2012
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Most students are busy finishing term papers, studying for finals, packing, and attending year-end parties in May. Fall might also be logistically difficult.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#12 Apr 10, 2012
Supporting "diverse viewpoints" is one thing, but I don't see anything "respectful or civil" about the crap their spewing. Would the U of Maine allow the KKK to set up a booth as well?

It's not like these two bigots are even students; they're Maine's leading anti-gays who have been fighting gay rights for the past 20 years. Dig a little and I'll bet we find out they're funded by NOM.

Littleton, NH

#13 Apr 10, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Supporting "diverse viewpoints" is one thing, but I don't see anything "respectful or civil" about the crap their spewing. Would the U of Maine allow the KKK to set up a booth as well?
It's not like these two bigots are even students; they're Maine's leading anti-gays who have been fighting gay rights for the past 20 years. Dig a little and I'll bet we find out they're funded by NOM.
On the other hand, Soulforce has its annual Equality Ride, stopping at evangelical, anti-gay campuses across America. Of course, Soulforce members are arrested if they set foot on campus. But our side can welcome the opposition knowing that we have winning arguments.

Tawas City, Michigan

#14 Apr 10, 2012
FYI- key dates for 2012:

May 1st- one third of ballot signatures due in Maryland (18,579); remainder due by Jun 30th.

May 8th- North Carolina primary vote on marriage ban.

May ??- Decision likely from 9th circuit on Prop 8 en banc request. If denied, anti-gays have 90 days to petition SCOTUS.

Jun 30th- Remainder of ballot signatures due in Maryland (55,736 total needed). End of 2012 SCOTUS session, no further routine petitions for certiorari will be considered until Oct.

Jul 6th- Ballot signatures due in WA for Ref 74 (120,577 needed). Note, the anti-gays only got 1,430 sigs more than the minimum in '09 for Ref 71.

Jul 7th- Marriage bill takes effect in WA if not enough valid signatures are submitted.

Aug ??- Decision likely from 1st circuit on DOMA cases (Gill v OPM, MA v DHHS).

Oct 1st- Start of 2013 SCOTUS session.

Nov 6th- Federal & state elections; marriage ban vote in MN, marriage referendum vote in Maine, and likely marriage referendum votes in WA & MD.

Nov 7th- Marriage equality takes effect in WA & Maine if successful at the ballot; MD wouldn't would take effect till Jan 2013 even if passed.

What did I miss?

“WAY TO GO”

IRELAND

#15 Apr 10, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
FYI- key dates for 2012:
May 1st- one third of ballot signatures due in Maryland (18,579); remainder due by Jun 30th.
May ??- Decision likely from 9th circuit on Prop 8 en banc request. If denied, anti-gays have 90 days to petition SCOTUS.
Jun 30th- Remainder of ballot signatures due in Maryland (55,736 total needed). End of 2012 SCOTUS session, no further routine petitions for certiorari will be considered until Oct.
Jul 6th- Ballot signatures due in WA for Ref 74 (120,577 needed). Note, the anti-gays only got 1,430 sigs more than the minimum in '09 for Ref 71.
Jul 7th- Marriage bill takes effect in WA if not enough valid signatures are submitted.
Aug ??- Decision likely from 1st circuit on DOMA cases (Gill v OPM, MA v DHHS).
Oct 1st- Start of 2013 SCOTUS session.
Nov 6th- Federal & state elections; marriage ban vote in MN, marriage referendum vote in Maine, and likely marriage referendum votes in WA & MD.
Nov 7th- Marriage equality takes effect in WA & Maine if successful at the ballot; MD wouldn't would take effect till Jan 2013 even if passed.
What did I miss?
Not much and thanks for the information......looks to be a busy summer:-)

Littleton, NH

#16 Apr 10, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
FYI- key dates for 2012:
Many signatures were validated only because of lenient decisions by the SOS. Had the signatures been made public in a timely manner, many may have been challenged.
What did I miss?
Ohio.

“WAY TO GO”

IRELAND

#17 Apr 10, 2012
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Many signatures were validated only because of lenient decisions by the SOS. Had the signatures been made public in a timely manner, many may have been challenged.
<quoted text>
Ohio.
What's going on in Ohio?

In Washington, there may be a slight chance that the anti-gay side will NOT get enough signatures this time......seeing as that information will be made public from the get go!!!

Littleton, NH

#18 Apr 10, 2012
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
What's going on in Ohio?
In Washington, there may be a slight chance that the anti-gay side will NOT get enough signatures this time......seeing as that information will be made public from the get go!!!
FTM is attempting to overturn the same-sex marriage ban: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/03/same...

Tawas City, Michigan

#19 Apr 10, 2012
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Ohio.
Hopefully their will be a timely release of petition signatures this time, but I can guarantee the anti-gays will find a sympathetic judge somewhere to delay it as long as possible.

If NOMs petition to boycott Starbucks is any indication, they may have trouble getting enough signatures. They could only get 26,000 some people to sign, compared to over 600,000 signers in support of Starbucks.

As far as I know, the major GLBT groups in the state and nationwide aren't supporting the effort in Ohio yet. I don't know how their grassroots effort is going to turn out. As hard as it is to admit, I don't think this year is the right time for Ohio. Too great a danger of risking the Presidency in such a swing state when any ballot measure there would likely be less than a 50-50 chance of being approved.

But thanks for the reminder.

Tawas City, Michigan

#20 Apr 10, 2012
Looks like Ohio Freedom to Marry group is shooting for Nov of 2013, not 2012. If that's the case, I rescind any previous reservations I had.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Maine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Patricia Richardson, Virginian-Pilot publisher,... Apr 7 PATTY 2
News It is abnormally cold in the United States. Tha... Feb '18 Trump is a joke 570
News Maine Master Gardener program helps communities... (Jun '17) Jun '17 jasmina1990 1
News UMaine professor dies conducting research in An... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Abrahammock Regions 7
Orono sucks (Jun '16) Jun '16 UMaine sucks 1
News Area students win Maine National History Day aw... (Apr '16) Apr '16 Inquisitor 1
Local Bars (Nov '14) Feb '16 Kylie likes Apple 6