Statewide smoking ban imminent?

Statewide smoking ban imminent?

There are 93 comments on the www.sentinel-echo.com story from Jan 24, 2011, titled Statewide smoking ban imminent?. In it, www.sentinel-echo.com reports that:

LAUREL COUNTY, Ky. - Standing outside to smoke a cigarette in the winter cold behind her father's local business, Kellie Oliver of London's Burger Boy Restaurant doesn't have much of a choice, it's the law.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.sentinel-echo.com.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#68 Feb 1, 2011
"the smoking ban is under way because of second hand smoke yet they still hike cig taxes. so why is alcohol legal?"

Alcohol has nothing to do with this. If someone smokes next to me, I have to breathe their second-hand smoke. If someone drinks a beer near me, I don't have to drink it.

As far as either "ruining people's live," there are already laws that punish people for driving under the influence, for example. Punish violators and stay out of the business of law-abiding citizens.
smoke em if youve got em wrote:
good topic! its crazy to think that human rights are on the decline, the smoking ban is under way because of second hand smoke yet they still hike cig taxes. so why is alcohol legal? alcohol is as addictive as cigarettes if no more addictive than cigarettes, it ruins peoples lives everyday, people drinking can kill innocent people on the roads.. people die of alcohol poisioning everyday. alcohol needs to be banned to the highest extent but they wont because of the profits it brings. they might as well leagelize herion, cocaine, lsd and ecstasy. it is crazy how laws contridict laws

SATAN 64

“Walk with me in”

Since: Aug 09

Hell, Norway

#69 Feb 1, 2011
LOL wrote:
On August 24, 2010 it was reported in The Sentinel-Echo that Burger Boy Restaurant’s business had improved by 15 to 20 percent since the city-wide ban took effect.
“If it done anything, it might have helped,” employee Kellie Oliver said.“A lot of customers say they come in now because they can breathe.”
Well! There goes FreeDUMBS hope that smoking is hurting business!! It's actually HELPING the OWNER make more money. What? Do you think every owner is as DUMB as you freedumb and would want LESS money for their business just so they can cater to scum like you who buys a cup of coffee at $0.80 and sits around all day polluting the air and scaring away customers who actually have a bill over $3.52?!! LOL!! This is why you don't hear ANY complaints from owners. They love the ban just like the rest of us! Why do you think the STATE wide ban in Ohio is so popular and has caught on with all the other states around us??!! Gee!! Could it be, because we American’s LOVE IT??!!!(Again- I’m sure with your conditions, you are probably too stupid to figure this out!)
ROTFLMFAO@U!!!!
Ok too stupid, the smoking ban in Oh was put in place by polititians, it was never put on a ballot and voted on. You know why? Because it would never had passed. Many of the resturants and bars in Oh have reported a loss due to the ban. Hell they tried putting a ban in place in Hamilton back in the mid 90`s and we ALL raised hell with them and they backed off.

Besides it hasn`t stopped smoking in many places, now they just put out soda cans, and if someone comes in that is unknown they grab the cans and throw them away.

Location hidden

#70 Feb 1, 2011
No. If you want to smoke, go do it outside away from people. No one should have to breathe your second-hand smoke.

Cigarettes are legal (and should remain so), but you are only free to ruin your body, not mine.
smoker wrote:
I smoke, I do not drink, I have always respected none smokers rights, but they are taking our rights, and for the one talking about someone sitting behind they and smelling like an ashtray, then get up and move if you don't like it!
right

Somerset, KY

#71 Feb 1, 2011
Shopper wrote:
I thought it was also supposed to be no smoking allowed with 25 feet to an entrance. They sure aren't enforcing it. I have on several occasions parked at Kroger and walked to KMart to give my prescriptions then walk back to Kroger to do my shopping.
Between the workers at Top Nail and the Kroger workers out front smoking and me having to walk through it I stink as bad as they do.
Just wait until they ban STUPID - UGLY - OVERWEIGHT - ETC - ETC ,,, You want have to get out and walk through all that nastiness...

SATAN 64

“Walk with me in”

Hell, Norway

#73 Feb 1, 2011
Anti-theist wrote:
No. If you want to smoke, go do it outside away from people. No one should have to breathe your second-hand smoke.
Cigarettes are legal (and should remain so), but you are only free to ruin your body, not mine.
<quoted text>
I think that you should be respectful of folks that don`t smoke, if i`m in your home, or in your car, i will wait to smoke a cigarette. But if you are in my home or car, do not expect that to be the same.

As far as some place in public, i think it should be left up to the business owners. Either go non-smoking or smoking, or both. Its not hard to put the smokers in the back with a fresh air system in, and inexpensive to do. Then you can satisfy both.

Location hidden

#74 Feb 1, 2011
I agree that private establishments should make the decision of whether or not they allow smoking. It's none of the government's business.

In public buildings, like the court house, smoking should be prohibited.

You are certainly free to smoke in your own car (but not when kids are present). If the government tries to prevent you from that, I think it's unconstitutional. Most smokers I've met will refrain from smoking in my face when I'm riding with them. If they don't have at least that much courtesy, I won't ride with them again.

I used to think it was absurd that the hospital would prohibit employees from smoking in their own cars on hospital property, on their breaks. Now that I've thought about it more, it's probably a good idea because nurses and doctors should not smell like smoke when they're dealing with patients.
SATAN 64 wrote:
<quoted text>I think that you should be respectful of folks that don`t smoke, if i`m in your home, or in your car, i will wait to smoke a cigarette. But if you are in my home or car, do not expect that to be the same.
As far as some place in public, i think it should be left up to the business owners. Either go non-smoking or smoking, or both. Its not hard to put the smokers in the back with a fresh air system in, and inexpensive to do. Then you can satisfy both.
Linda

AOL

#75 Feb 1, 2011
Shopper wrote:
I thought it was also supposed to be no smoking allowed with 25 feet to an entrance. They sure aren't enforcing it. I have on several occasions parked at Kroger and walked to KMart to give my prescriptions then walk back to Kroger to do my shopping.
Between the workers at Top Nail and the Kroger workers out front smoking and me having to walk through it I stink as bad as they do.
Get a flip camera http://www.theflip.com/en-us/ or similar and video tape the culprits. Make sure their faces are visible. Post the video on youtube. Then email the link to the video to the corporate bigwigs.

Kroger: https://customer.kroger.com/comments/comments...

That will eliminate the problem.
Linda

AOL

#76 Feb 1, 2011
SATAN 64 wrote:
<quoted text>Ok too stupid, the smoking ban in Oh was put in place by polititians, it was never put on a ballot and voted on. You know why? Because it would never had passed. Many of the resturants and bars in Oh have reported a loss due to the ban. Hell they tried putting a ban in place in Hamilton back in the mid 90`s and we ALL raised hell with them and they backed off.
Besides it hasn`t stopped smoking in many places, now they just put out soda cans, and if someone comes in that is unknown they grab the cans and throw them away.
Uh

The smokinig ban in Ohio WAS voted on by the voters.

"Voters approved the indoor smoking ban in November 2006, making Ohio the first Midwestern state and the first tobacco-growing state to enact such a ban."

http://www.odh.ohio.gov/alerts/ohiosmokingban...
Linda

AOL

#77 Feb 1, 2011
FactOfTheMatter wrote:
Most all dead anti-smokers have died as a result of the affects of opening their BIG FAT PIE HOLES.
OK

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7624044.stm
snicky

Liberty, KY

#78 Feb 1, 2011
Never wrote:
I have one question to smokers, what do you do with your filter when you finish smoking in your car. What if everyone decided to start throwing their trash out the window when they got done with it. Why do you feel you have a right to throw your filters in the street. Every 4 way stop in Lexington is disgusting. Lets face it you have been irresponsible for decades and now its time to pay the piper.
the piper is overpaid already by all the plastic water bottles that are tossed every day. cigarette buts come no where near equaling this tragedy. please dont use them. they are filling up all our landfills so terribly now.
you can field strip a cigarette but you cant make a plastic water bottle go away. i dont know why you would even worry about butts. they are totally nonconciquential in our society now.
snicky

Liberty, KY

#79 Feb 1, 2011
Quit wrote:
A pack a day habit is 150.00 a month. Who can afford it?
i smoke. and i like to smoke. i can get 3 cartons of cigarettes for 20 dollars. nice fresh ohm tobacco. and gambler light tubes. that is less than 7 dollars a carton. i make my own. i would still buy them if i had to pay full price too. no matter what anyone thought about it. my money. no one elses. blessed be.
HumanSpirit

Live Oak, FL

#85 Feb 2, 2011
Caution on Chantix

These Popular Drugs Can Make You Violent – Avoid Them

Some medications have been linked to an increased risk for violent, even homicidal behavior. A recent study identified 31 drugs that are disproportionately linked with violent behavior.
Time Magazine lists the top ten offenders:

1. Varenicline (Chantix): The number one violence-inducing drug on the list, this anti-smoking medication is 18 times more likely to be linked with violence when compared to other drugs

2. Fluoxetine (Prozac): This drug was the first well-known SSRI antidepressant
3. Paroxetine (Paxil): Another SSRI antidepressant, Paxil is also linked with severe withdrawal symptoms and a risk of birth defects
4. Amphetamines:(Various): Used to treat ADHD
5. Mefoquine (Lariam): A treatment for malaria which is often linked with reports of strange behavior
6. Atomoxetine (Strattera): An ADHD drug that affects the neurotransmitter noradrenaline
7. Triazolam (Halcion): This potentially addictive drug is used to treat insomnia
8. Fluvoxamine (Luvox): Another SSRI antidepressant
9. Venlafaxine (Effexor): An antidepressant also used to treat anxiety disorders
10. Desvenlafaxine (Pristiq): An antidepressant which affects both serotonin and noradrenaline

Sources:

Time Magazine January 7, 2011

PLoS One December 15, 2010; 5(12)

Pasted from < http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/ar... ;
HumanSpirit

Live Oak, FL

#86 Feb 2, 2011
Pfizer 4Q profit beats views as revenue up 6 pct

Pasted from < http://www.salon.com/wires/allwires/2011/02/0... ;
Idea

London, KY

#88 Feb 2, 2011
Linda wrote:
<quoted text>
Get a flip camera http://www.theflip.com/en-us/ or similar and video tape the culprits. Make sure their faces are visible. Post the video on youtube. Then email the link to the video to the corporate bigwigs.
Kroger: https://customer.kroger.com/comments/comments...
That will eliminate the problem.
Hey that is a great idea! I'm not the one who originally wrote about the smokers at Kroger but it is true. They smoke under the canopy and the smoke just hangs and lingers. I know I will be putting a video on youtube before long.
snicky

Greenbrier, AR

#90 Feb 3, 2011
everybody come on over and we will hide in the back bathroom and smoke. no windows, no vents, double steel roof. we might be ok. i wish folks would just leave me alone about my choice to be a smoker. i guarantee you that 50 percent of yall choke me to death with your perfume hair spray body splashes etc.

by poopy if i cant smoke you all shouldnt be able to wear that stinky perfume and cologne. i had much drather smell tobacco than red door.

no kidding if you take my right to smoke away i wont stop till i take your right to wear scents away.
blessed be to all.

Location hidden

#91 Feb 3, 2011
I dare say that most "scents" do not harm your health.
snicky wrote:
everybody come on over and we will hide in the back bathroom and smoke. no windows, no vents, double steel roof. we might be ok. i wish folks would just leave me alone about my choice to be a smoker. i guarantee you that 50 percent of yall choke me to death with your perfume hair spray body splashes etc.
by poopy if i cant smoke you all shouldnt be able to wear that stinky perfume and cologne. i had much drather smell tobacco than red door.
no kidding if you take my right to smoke away i wont stop till i take your right to wear scents away.
blessed be to all.

SATAN 64

“Walk with me in”

Hell, Norway

#92 Feb 3, 2011
Anti-theist wrote:
<quoted text>
I would also be willing to bet that the scent of smoke on someones clothes won`t harm someones health either.
goober

Greenbrier, AR

#93 Feb 3, 2011
Anti-theist wrote:
<quoted text>
some or most scents will send someone with asthma to their knees. a little puff or two of smoke dissapates in the atmosphere. heavy colognes linger until the persons wearing them actually go away.
im not a rocket scientist but you fan smoke away. you cant fan perfume and cologne away. the smell stays in your lungs and throat long after its gone too.
so as far as being harmful i say hll yes it is. just go ahead and take away my right to smoke. i promise i will take away another human right just out of spite.
dont mean to harm no one actually. just tired of hearing about this topic. you tell them snicky!!!!!!!!!
blessed be.
Sammy Snodgrass

AOL

#95 Feb 3, 2011
Most smokers don't seem to worry about others. Not that one would expect them to, because most of them don't seem to even worry about what their smoking is doing to themselves.
banCellPones

Lexington, KY

#96 Feb 3, 2011
No one should be allowed to have a cell phone turned on in public either. They emit raditation that can be bad for your health.

A recent study in Britain shows that guys who wear their phone on their belt have reduced sperm counts.

Alotta people "poo poo" these studies now (just like they did the "smoking can cause cancer" studies 40 years ago). As usual, we'll have to wait until a few hundred thousand cancer deaths linked to radiation from so many cell phones occurs.

If you want to use a cell phone and give yourself cancer, that's your business. But keep your cancer-causing radiation to yourself and away from me and my children.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Kentucky Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mother needs answers in daughter's slaying in F... (Sep '10) Feb 9 Football Fan 18
News Kentucky mom arrested after 4-month-old hospita... Feb 6 kyman 1
News Crazy College Courses and the Religion of Sex Dec '17 TerriB1 1
News Smoking bans having the desired effect Dec '17 Asdfg12345 2
News Kentucky Official: All Backlogged Rape Kits Tested Nov '17 kyman 4
News 3M worker electrocuted on the job dies (May '10) Nov '17 LEL 7
News Alison Saar Breaches the Legacy of Environmenta... Nov '17 woot woot 1
More from around the web