Statewide smoking ban imminent?

Statewide smoking ban imminent?

There are 93 comments on the www.sentinel-echo.com story from Jan 24, 2011, titled Statewide smoking ban imminent?. In it, www.sentinel-echo.com reports that:

LAUREL COUNTY, Ky. - Standing outside to smoke a cigarette in the winter cold behind her father's local business, Kellie Oliver of London's Burger Boy Restaurant doesn't have much of a choice, it's the law.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.sentinel-echo.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“This One Goes to 11!”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#1 Jan 24, 2011
It has been over a year since the city passed its smoking ordinance, prohibiting smoking in all buildings open to the public or used as workplaces for public health reasons. Now there is discussion of a similar statewide law. How do you feel about the ordinance and the possibility of something like it on the state level?

“Rainy Night N Georgia”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#2 Jan 24, 2011
Sinse my husband and i don't smoke it wont affect us.but it will hurt a lot of people i know and care for.just wish everyone could quit.why would anyone want to just give that much money away.they are really high.
smoke em if youve got em

London, KY

#3 Jan 24, 2011
good topic! its crazy to think that human rights are on the decline, the smoking ban is under way because of second hand smoke yet they still hike cig taxes. so why is alcohol legal? alcohol is as addictive as cigarettes if no more addictive than cigarettes, it ruins peoples lives everyday, people drinking can kill innocent people on the roads.. people die of alcohol poisioning everyday. alcohol needs to be banned to the highest extent but they wont because of the profits it brings. they might as well leagelize herion, cocaine, lsd and ecstasy. it is crazy how laws contridict laws
KRS

London, KY

#4 Jan 24, 2011
there are laws that protect us against the drunk drivers and those that decide to drive under the influence. I think it's great that our children will finally be protected from second hand smoke. To see a mother or father smoking around a small infant ( lungs still developing ) is absolutely crazy. It would be great if the parents or the adults had enough intelligence to not smoke around them. But because they don't, laws are passed. Kind of like the seat belt laws for our children. Cry and complain all that you want to and talk about big brother and how our rights are being taken away. he truth of the matter is, that if we used our heads for thinking, laws wouldn't need to be passed to protect those who can't protect themselves.
smoke em if youve got em

London, KY

#5 Jan 24, 2011
KRS wrote:
there are laws that protect us against the drunk drivers and those that decide to drive under the influence. I think it's great that our children will finally be protected from second hand smoke. To see a mother or father smoking around a small infant ( lungs still developing ) is absolutely crazy. It would be great if the parents or the adults had enough intelligence to not smoke around them. But because they don't, laws are passed. Kind of like the seat belt laws for our children. Cry and complain all that you want to and talk about big brother and how our rights are being taken away. he truth of the matter is, that if we used our heads for thinking, laws wouldn't need to be passed to protect those who can't protect themselves.
i agree with you about the smoking around infants and kids, i get mad when i see people smoke around their kids in a house or car. i am a smoker but always go outside away from my kids and dont smoke in public or in my car. i dont even care if they ban cigarettes, i have been wanting to stop smoking for a while now but need some motivation to quit
smoke em if youve got em

London, KY

#6 Jan 24, 2011
i wouldnt smoke in eateries when you could smoke in places, i guess i respected others.
Tried them once

Mount Sterling, KY

#7 Jan 24, 2011
Good, Now if they could ban the people that smell like ashtrays from sitting behind me.( roll the window down & wash them clothes every now & then )
NAH

Fairborn, OH

#8 Jan 24, 2011
unconstitutional abuse of power. <- PERIOD
Shopper

Somerset, KY

#9 Jan 24, 2011
I thought it was also supposed to be no smoking allowed with 25 feet to an entrance. They sure aren't enforcing it. I have on several occasions parked at Kroger and walked to KMart to give my prescriptions then walk back to Kroger to do my shopping.
Between the workers at Top Nail and the Kroger workers out front smoking and me having to walk through it I stink as bad as they do.
smoker

Kittanning, PA

#10 Jan 24, 2011
I smoke, I do not drink, I have always respected none smokers rights, but they are taking our rights, and for the one talking about someone sitting behind they and smelling like an ashtray, then get up and move if you don't like it!
Anonymous

Henderson, KY

#11 Jan 24, 2011
I secretly blow smoke on people as they walk past me in the Kroger entrance.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#12 Jan 24, 2011
I know who you are & I saw what you did. Thanks alot I had to wash my hair 5 times butt wipe. HAHA

SATAN 64

“Walk with me in”

Since: Aug 09

Hell, Norway

#13 Jan 24, 2011
Walking down main st in London, you will inhale more poisonous gases coming from vehicle exhaust, than what you will recieve from someone smoking a cigarette. Only difference is, you can get up and move away from the smoker, you can`t out run the car exhaust.

Many talk of nonsmokers rights, What about smokers rights? Just because they smoke they aren`t allow the same rights as others?
blueeyes

London, KY

#14 Jan 24, 2011
put a ban on alcohol in places to eat and see who cry's then.you see people drinking with there kids and then get in the car. what is worse drunk driving or smoking a cig.
blueeyes

London, KY

#15 Jan 24, 2011
thank you Satan 84 you got that right!
Anonymous

Henderson, KY

#16 Jan 24, 2011
SATAN 64 wrote:
Walking down main st in London, you will inhale more poisonous gases coming from vehicle exhaust, than what you will recieve from someone smoking a cigarette. Only difference is, you can get up and move away from the smoker, you can`t out run the car exhaust.
Many talk of nonsmokers rights, What about smokers rights? Just because they smoke they aren`t allow the same rights as others?
It's easy for a person who doesn't have a car to walk to the store. It's easy for someone who doesn't have a coffee addiction to function without coffee. It's easy for a non-smoker to want to ban 2nd hand smoke.

In reality they are just being arrogant. Complaining about smokers somehow empowers them. Yet they drive away in their car which blows more smoke than 100 cigarettes.

I haven't smoked in 4 days, wish me luck!
just candid

AOL

#17 Jan 24, 2011
Almost every Drunk, Degenerate & Lowlife type person is a Smoker.
Curious2

Cynthiana, KY

#18 Jan 24, 2011
sirhc wrote:
<quoted text>
It's easy for a person who doesn't have a car to walk to the store. It's easy for someone who doesn't have a coffee addiction to function without coffee. It's easy for a non-smoker to want to ban 2nd hand smoke.
In reality they are just being arrogant. Complaining about smokers somehow empowers them. Yet they drive away in their car which blows more smoke than 100 cigarettes.
Bless your heart. I will also say a prayer that you will have the strength to stay away from cigarettes.

SATAN 64

“Walk with me in”

Hell, Norway

#21 Jan 24, 2011
sirhc wrote:
<quoted text>
Best of luck to you, I have smoked for thirty years, i smoke no more now, than i smoked in my late teens. In fact, i could probably quit anytime i wish. I figure that in America, a person can do as they wish as long as they aren`t causing physical harm to someone, and secondhand smoke doesn`t kill or hurt someone that doesn`t ALREADY have a condition to begin with. They just use that as an excuse.
People will say my car exhaust statement is bullcrap, but i`m a ASE certified master mechanic, and i have forgotten more about smog and emissions than most everyone else. New cars fail the emissions tests everyday, what the hell do you think a used car with thousands of miles on it will do? it won`t pass an E-check thats for damn sure.

SATAN 64

“Walk with me in”

Hell, Norway

#22 Jan 24, 2011
just candid wrote:
Almost every Drunk, Degenerate & Lowlife type person is a Smoker.
I have met more nonsmoking Drunk, Degenerate & Lowlifes than ones that smoke.

Are you one? I`d be willing to bet that you are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Kentucky Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Moo-ving out: Sensor sends text alerts from cow... Jul 21 Newt G s Next Wife 3
News Second man arrested in slaying of Lashawn 'Suga... (Sep '10) Jul 10 Tammy from millbu... 6
News Man, 71, charged with sexual assault of strip c... (Jul '13) Apr '16 Jerry Curl 39
News Oldham County Board of Education selects new su... Apr '16 Lucy Jane Ann 1
News Danville man accused of boiling water assault (Oct '12) Apr '16 come on 17
News Is oral sex really sex? (Mar '11) Apr '16 Ben 245
News Budget cuts could shut down a Kentucky university Mar '16 Zioni 5
More from around the web