Engineering a Better Hip Implant

Sep 18, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Science Daily

In a study, the team simulated hip dislocations as they occur in humans and determined that increased thigh girth creates hip instability in morbidly obese patients greater than 40). The researchers propose that surgeons modify surgical procedures to minimize the chance of dislocation in obese patients and consider other designs for hip replacement ... (more)

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
Aiza

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2012

I have read from an article that some surgeons are concerned that patients implanted with hip replacement are likely to have a revision surgery because most implants are inclined to fail during the first two years of use. Metal implantsí safety issues have been under intense scrutiny in the recent months. Studies of metal implants indicate that they have higher revision rates compared to other types of hip implant materials. DePuy Orthopaedics, a subsidiary company of Johnson & Johnson, is faced with a large number of lawsuits because of their defective hip implant. The http://www.depuypinnaclelawsuit.com provides a wide range of information on this topic.
Megan

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2012

Hip replacement surgery has been a consistent subject of medical news because of the infamous DePuy hip replacement recall. According to DePuy, It is important for all patients to have their hip evaluated by their doctor, though most patients will not need additional surgery as a result of this recall.
For more information about hip problems, refer to http://www.depuyhipreplacementlawsuit.com

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent University of Iowa Discussions

Search the University of Iowa Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
IA Court Throws Out Discipline Against U. Iowa ... (Apr '13) Jun 23 TOM DRAKE for Prez 22
University of Iowa Broadcasts Graduation Ceremo... May '14 Pete Trautman 1
About Town: Feaster Hands Keys to Stoughton's N... (Dec '12) May '14 Kundrot dionkie 12
Black Harvard students take to Tumblr in fight ... Mar '14 guest 31
Penis art exhibit raises eyebrows (Sep '11) Feb '14 running wild 2
Does having kids make you happy? (May '11) Jan '14 Inge 5
Naked Mormon Women Go Viral, Talk Back (Jan '14) Jan '14 ThomasA 2
•••
•••