City considers immigrant sanctuary status to make a statement

There are 7 comments on the Mar 2, 2011, www.kplctv.com story titled City considers immigrant sanctuary status to make a statement. In it, www.kplctv.com reports that:

Illegal immigrants could soon have a safe haven in Iowa, where Iowa City is considering becoming a "sanctuary city," meaning it would not enforce immigration laws.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.kplctv.com.

Speeders Kill Kids

Watseka, IL

#1 Mar 2, 2011
Another city decides to openly break the law. Those corporate bribes really work.
Free is free

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Mar 2, 2011
Once they turn into a magnet for illegals from surrounding communities, the voters will put a stop to that.
What

United States

#3 Mar 2, 2011
I wonder if they've run this by the new Republican Governor? I don't think so...
cjrian

United States

#4 Mar 2, 2011
Sanctuary cities flouting the law should have all State and Federal funding frozen and/or revoked. If they want to stand on their principles, let them, but not on anyone else's dime.

Since: Jan 11

Milton, MA

#5 Mar 2, 2011
There's a big double standard at play here.

The feds conveniently turn a blind eye when cities choose to openly violate and undermine federal immigration law by instituting sanctuary polices yet they go on the offensive when states attempt to implement measures that will mirror and support federal law.

Cities who who knowingly provide safe harbor to illegal aliens in complete defiance of federal immigration law should be swiftly confronted, challenged and deprived of any form of federal funding until they reverse their sanctuary policies.

“But it's so Racist”

Since: Mar 10

United States

#6 Mar 2, 2011
Sanctuary Cities don't exist.

Since: Jan 11

Milton, MA

#7 Mar 2, 2011
Rico from East LA wrote:
Sanctuary Cities don't exist.
What do you mean?

BTW - that wasn't me who gave you the negative judgits. Somebody must be following you around (big surprise).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Iowa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Satellite data reveals earthquake impact within... Mar 30 life 1
News Readers respond to fact check on Rand Paul's st... Feb '15 Cat74 57
News Former BGSU faculty to exhibit work Nov '14 Marla K Smith- Br... 1
News IA Court Throws Out Discipline Against U. Iowa ... (Apr '13) Nov '14 citizen four 23
News The emotion lingers long after the memories hav... (Sep '14) Sep '14 Anonymoth1 1
News Feds test how stoned is too stoned to drive (Jul '14) Jul '14 T Turner 1
News University of Iowa Broadcasts Graduation Ceremo... (May '14) May '14 Pete Trautman 1
More from around the web