More than 130 Iowa scientists issue statement that 2012 drought is a sign of climate change

This year's drought is consistent with predictions that global climate change would bring about weather extremes including more frequent droughts, said a report released Monday. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
DENG

Nanjing, China

#1 Nov 19, 2012
drought is a sign of climate change

BUT NOT FOR THE LONG TERM; CLIMATE CHANGE IS NORMAL
Franklin

Portland, OR

#2 Nov 19, 2012
I just watched a TV show last night about the dust bowl of the 1930's in the US. Drought conditions lasted for years.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#3 Nov 19, 2012
'dang deng' wrote:
drought is a sign of climate change
BUT NOT FOR THE LONG TERM; CLIMATE CHANGE IS NORMAL
//////////
franklin wrote:
.... the dust bowl of the 1930's in the US. Drought conditions lasted for years.
/////////
litesong wrote:
Hey, toxic topix AGW deniers say we're in a cool period.'dang deng' & franklin must agree.

Next year, we'll stake them out in a corn field so they can enjoy their cool sun tans, to match the brown corn crops.
Franklin

Portland, OR

#5 Nov 20, 2012
litesong wrote:
Next year, we'll stake them out in a corn field so they can enjoy their cool sun tans, to match the brown corn crops.
Better be wearing body armor when you come for me, chump.
Franklin

Portland, OR

#6 Nov 20, 2012
litesong wrote:
Hey, toxic topix AGW deniers say we're in a cool period.'dang deng' & franklin must agree.
By the way, the Dust Bowl was caused by human mismanagement of resources.
PHD

Oak Park, MI

#7 Nov 20, 2012
And the dust bowl was caused by people failing to do the rain dance. Shame on the people.
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#8 Nov 20, 2012
franklin wrote:
Better be wearing body armor when you come for me, chump.
Don't need no body armor. You ain't got no mathematics or science background to protect your toxic topix AGW denier stance.

You can watch our Pacific Northwest forests burn & crops increasingly dry & brown, while AGW keeps pushing the summertime jet stream to the north, so the sun will bake our lands. Not even our extraordinary mountain rain & snow falls will protect us.
Gary

Bellingham, WA

#9 Nov 20, 2012
I want to know what the coal company scientists
have to say about climate change and its causes.

All ten of them.
Franklin

Portland, OR

#10 Nov 20, 2012
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
You ain't got no mathematics or science background to protect your toxic topix AGW denier stance.
You read an awful lot into two sentences. A lot of wrong. Must be hard to read beyond your own agenda with your head stuck so far up.
PHD

Oak Park, MI

#11 Nov 20, 2012
The coal companies say they have clean coal can you find any? Actually at their coal fired plants even the big stack says to the little stack that itís too young to smoke.
Franklin

Portland, OR

#12 Nov 20, 2012
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
You ain't got no mathematics or science background to protect your toxic topix AGW denier stance.
OK, let me spell it out for you. The "Dirty '30s" was a man-made ecological disaster. Not only did plowing up massive amounts of indigenous grassland expose the soil to wind erosion, it also interrupted the natural cycle of evapo-transpiration that helps to form clouds that supply rain, and so caused an extended drought. There is good evidence that the drought was finally ended by conservation efforts that changed the way farmers planted crops, planted trees for windbreaks and replanted a great deal of land with indigenous grass. I brought up the dust bowl era not to deny that humans are causing global climate change, but to reinforce the truth of it. Clear now?
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#13 Nov 20, 2012
franklin wrote:
Clear now?
Very clear that your ego says you're smarter than teams of AGW scientists that have 10-16 more training in science & mathematics than you do. Repeating what you get from business, oil, coal, energy, conservative websites makes you neither smart or makes your arguments applied properly.
PHD

Oak Park, MI

#14 Nov 21, 2012
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Very clear that your ego says you're smarter than teams of AGW scientists that have 10-16 more training in science & mathematics than you do. Repeating what you get from business, oil, coal, energy, conservative websites makes you neither smart or makes your arguments applied properly.
franklin wrote:
There is good evidence that the drought was finally ended by conservation efforts that changed the way farmers planted crops, planted trees for windbreaks and replanted a great deal of land with indigenous grass.

Do you know what is good evidence? Could it be maybe,we don't know or another Scientific error? Not so sure about the ego thing could it be denial? And yes you are correct franklin's argument isn't applied properly.
Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

#15 Nov 21, 2012
There was drought in the 1930s and again in the 1950s and again in the 1980s and again since 2010.
PHD

Oak Park, MI

#16 Nov 21, 2012
Fun Facts wrote:
There was drought in the 1930s and again in the 1950s and again in the 1980s and again since 2010.
And there will be more depending on your geological location.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#17 Dec 28, 2012
Fun Facts wrote:
What do you expect with a raging manmade global climate change?

Dino rain??
PHD

Overton, TX

#18 Dec 28, 2012
Science made to advance their tax dollar share.
Fun Facts

Las Cruces, NM

#20 Dec 29, 2012
SpaceBlues wrote:
<quoted text>What do you expect with a raging manmade global climate change?
Dino rain??
I expect that periodic droughts will continue to happen as they have happened in the past.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#21 Dec 29, 2012
Fun Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
I expect that periodic droughts will continue to happen as they have happened in the past.
You are an old fool. No science education. No science training. No science experience.

Your opinion is worth squat except to yourself because you share the foolish arrogance of all unqualified deniers.
PHD

Overton, TX

#22 Dec 29, 2012
Fair Game wrote:
<quoted text>
You are an old fool. No science education. No science training. No science experience.
Your opinion is worth squat except to yourself because you share the foolish arrogance of all unqualified deniers.
Talk about useless babble. Do show all your science work big mouth. The only thing you display is zero education.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Iowa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Former BGSU faculty to exhibit work Nov '14 Marla K Smith- Br... 1
IA Court Throws Out Discipline Against U. Iowa ... (Apr '13) Nov '14 citizen four 23
The emotion lingers long after the memories hav... Sep '14 Anonymoth1 1
Feds test how stoned is too stoned to drive Jul '14 T Turner 1
University of Iowa Broadcasts Graduation Ceremo... (May '14) May '14 Pete Trautman 1
About Town: Feaster Hands Keys to Stoughton's N... (Dec '12) May '14 Kundrot dionkie 12
Black Harvard students take to Tumblr in fight ... (Mar '14) Mar '14 guest 31
More from around the web