Student hopes arrests lead to reform

Student hopes arrests lead to reform

There are 32 comments on the www.deseretnews.com story from May 15, 2010, titled Student hopes arrests lead to reform. In it, www.deseretnews.com reports that:

When Jessica Colotl, an illegal immigrant college student, got arrested for a minor traffic violation at her suburban Atlanta campus, she became an accidental poster child for immigration reform.

[A.P] Atlanta Georgia Saturday May 11th 2010 desertnews.com Original article by,Kate Brumbac photo courtesy of A.P. A illegal student that migrated here illegally as a youth was arrested after a traffic violation that led to deportation center.....

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.deseretnews.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 06

Chicago IL

#1 May 15, 2010
I posted several of these articles on different individuals, simmalar alleged charges .
Minor infarction's of motor vehicle laws in multapul parts of the country..
What ties these articles together is one thing.
The term collage students , a well educated individual.
She should of changed her status.
May of been no remorse for her actions.
Tim
William

Tyler, TX

#2 May 15, 2010
you know it aint that hard to come to this country legally from mexico,, all you have to do is work for 2-3 years so you can get a visa to come to the US for ten legal years. But for some reason they cant do that, and their children have to pay for that. Mexico is worse than iraq, yet we dont do nothing about the drugs,, why?? because if we colse borders than all these drugs will have to come from somewhere else, northern border and perhaps from russia to alaska. This can easily be spread because the money they get by drugs is easy and HUGE. Immigration reform needs to be cancelled. What we need is a neighbor reform, we need to help them out. Arizona didnt do the law right, instead of making everyone to carry their Green card, they just make a specific group of people to carry it. This is way this law is unconstitutional, it makes all hispanics in suspect of a crime. We need to stend the dollar to Mexico, beautiful place, horrible democracy.
Pando

Bullhead City, AZ

#3 May 15, 2010
William wrote:
you know it aint that hard to come to this country legally from mexico,, all you have to do is work for 2-3 years so you can get a visa to come to the US for ten legal years. But for some reason they cant do that, and their children have to pay for that. Mexico is worse than iraq, yet we dont do nothing about the drugs,, why?? because if we colse borders than all these drugs will have to come from somewhere else, northern border and perhaps from russia to alaska. This can easily be spread because the money they get by drugs is easy and HUGE. Immigration reform needs to be cancelled. What we need is a neighbor reform, we need to help them out. Arizona didnt do the law right, instead of making everyone to carry their Green card, they just make a specific group of people to carry it. This is way this law is unconstitutional, it makes all hispanics in suspect of a crime. We need to stend the dollar to Mexico, beautiful place, horrible democracy.
Obviously you have not read Arizona's law. It exactly mirrors the federal law.

Our Federal law says that ALL non-citizens must carry their papers proving they are here legally AT ALL TIMES.

It does not say anywhere in the Federal or Arizona state laws that a specific group of people must carry a green card.
William

Tyler, TX

#4 May 15, 2010
Papers by driver license and insurance. Not by legal status. This needs to be taken to the federal government, is a federal law to carry driver license and insurance, not green cards. Now if they want to change the current law, they can., but by the senate.
Pando

Bullhead City, AZ

#5 May 15, 2010
William wrote:
Papers by driver license and insurance. Not by legal status. This needs to be taken to the federal government, is a federal law to carry driver license and insurance, not green cards. Now if they want to change the current law, they can., but by the senate.
You are wrong.

There is no Federal law that requires people to carry a driver's license and insurance.

From the Alien Registration Act or Smith Act (18 U.S.C. 2385) enacted on June 29, 1940 ~~~~~~~~~~

(8 U.S.C. 1304(e),
e) Personal possession of registration or receipt card; penalties Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him pursuant to subsection (d) of this section. Any alien who fails to comply with the provisions of this subsection shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall upon conviction for each offense be fined not to exceed $100 or be imprisoned not more than thirty days, or both.

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#6 May 16, 2010
Now it comes out her father is in Mexico. 1) was he deported? 2) she can't say she 'doesn't even know anyone in Mexico'.
Disgusted

Idaho Falls, ID

#7 May 16, 2010
Secure/seal the Mexican Border and insure EXPIRED VISAS HOLDERS exit the USA.

If the Mexican Border had been secured/sealed as promised to get the 1986 Illegal Alien Amnesty passed then would not have to waste money dealing with the MANY millions of Illegal Aliens whom crossed the Mexican Border into the USA Illegally since 1986 nor any of the negative effects they have caused.

If the USA Immigration Laws had been enforced and it was insure EXPIRED VISAS HOLDERS exited the USA then 9/11 WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED as nearly every ATTACKER was in the USA -----ON EXPIRED VISAS!!!

Results TWO WARS---because of individuals in the USA on EXPIRED VISAS ATTACKING the USA.
ihatethismess

Corinth, MS

#8 May 16, 2010
I prefer it leads to deportation. She and her parents have over-stayed their welcome...wait, they never were welcome. America should not reward the lawless. We owe this education thief nothing more...now go home.

AmericanBoer

“Gods Warrior”

Since: Jan 10

Pompano Beach, FL

#9 May 16, 2010
Deport her. No cutting in line. They teach this in Elementary School.

Since: Mar 10

Account Closed

#10 May 16, 2010
shoot her and send her to her daddy with a note tyed to her toe that says I Failed LOL
Disgusted

Idaho Falls, ID

#11 May 16, 2010
Declare the country is at WAR with TERRORISM.

Spend many billions on personnel/equipment for the USA First Responders.

Refuse to secure borders/Coastlines against millions of people from around the world entering the USA with no idea whom they are, their health status and what they will do once in the USA.

Refuse to insure EXPIRED VISAS HOLDERES
exit the USA.

Refuse to have ALL Sworn Law Enforcement Federal, State, County , City, Etc checking people LEGAL STATUS to be in the USA.

If the USA is at WAR---wide open borders/coastlines, Expired Visa Holders not exiting the USA.

ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA --how many people are in the USA Illegally, what they are doing, where they are

Whatever ---sure as hades seems to be one dang strange way to fight a WAR in stopping TERRORISM from happening in the USA.

“Trump ain't playing!”

Since: Dec 07

Welfare State

#12 May 16, 2010
QUOTE: "Jessica may not have the documents that show that she's an American citizen, but she's an American," Taylor said. "She's an American in her heart because she believes in the values of this country."

She believes in American values, just not the rule of law. So typical.

Since: Mar 10

Account Closed

#13 May 16, 2010
Fed Up in North Carolina wrote:
QUOTE: "Jessica may not have the documents that show that she's an American citizen, but she's an American," Taylor said. "She's an American in her heart because she believes in the values of this country."
She believes in American values, just not the rule of law. So typical.
deport her ariss in a boox and send MEXICO the bill for Killen her!
Donde esta tu orgullo

Encino, CA

#14 May 16, 2010
The question is without illegals and their families who will do the following-

Who is going to apply for welfare, food stamps and WIC?

Who is going to trash neighborhoods and litter at beaches and parks? Who is going to play loud music and ruin a quiet day for you and your family at the park?

Who is going to sell food on the streets illegally?

Who is going to close down hospitals and E.R.'s?

Who is going to drive unlicensed and uninsured?

Who is going to hit your car and run, who is going to park their car on their front lawn?

Who's children will paint the cities with graffiti?

Who is going to transport the dope into this country?

Who is going to overcrowd your childrens schools/classroom?

They should just handover their EBT CARDS and go back to their homeland. Show some pride!

Since: Mar 10

Account Closed

#15 May 16, 2010
WOW Economic Recovery in one LAW that exist Now KOOL
TEA

United States

#16 May 16, 2010
Looks like the "students" majored in how to break/ignore the laws with a minor in sedition.

“Trump ain't playing!”

Since: Dec 07

Welfare State

#17 May 16, 2010
William wrote:
you know it aint that hard to come to this country legally from mexico,, all you have to do is work for 2-3 years so you can get a visa to come to the US for ten legal years. But for some reason they cant do that, and their children have to pay for that. Mexico is worse than iraq, yet we dont do nothing about the drugs,, why?? because if we colse borders than all these drugs will have to come from somewhere else, northern border and perhaps from russia to alaska. This can easily be spread because the money they get by drugs is easy and HUGE. Immigration reform needs to be cancelled. What we need is a neighbor reform, we need to help them out. Arizona didnt do the law right, instead of making everyone to carry their Green card, they just make a specific group of people to carry it. This is way this law is unconstitutional, it makes all hispanics in suspect of a crime. We need to stend the dollar to Mexico, beautiful place, horrible democracy.
I had to stop for a traffic check yesterday and they asked to see my driver's license, registration and proof of insurance. They even walked behind my car and checked out my tag. Gee, I feel so violated. I think I'll run to the nearest police and cry discrimination. How dare they ask me to verify anything!
Federal law already requires "legal" immigrants to carry proof of their citizenship status. It isn't specific to just Arizona. It's the law and has always been the law. Illegals are whining because they have no documentation and they know there's a chance they will be caught and deported. People who know they are in violation of a particular law usually don't like that law very much anyway. This isn't about Hispanics in general fearing racial profiling. It's about people here illegally in fear of getting caught.

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#18 May 16, 2010
Fed Up in North Carolina wrote:
<quoted text>I had to stop for a traffic check yesterday and they asked to see my driver's license, registration and proof of insurance. They even walked behind my car and checked out my tag. Gee, I feel so violated. I think I'll run to the nearest police and cry discrimination. How dare they ask me to verify anything!
Federal law already requires "legal" immigrants to carry proof of their citizenship status. It isn't specific to just Arizona. It's the law and has always been the law. Illegals are whining because they have no documentation and they know there's a chance they will be caught and deported. People who know they are in violation of a particular law usually don't like that law very much anyway. This isn't about Hispanics in general fearing racial profiling. It's about people here illegally in fear of getting caught.
You were PROFIIIILED! Have you called Rev. Sharpton yet? Certainly La Raza will schedule a march in your defense!
xbia

Shirley, NY

#19 May 16, 2010
I'm so suprised. So everyone in here if you had come as a toddler, and obviosuly you know nothing of what is going on around you,a decade or so later after you have considered yourself an American,( cause lets face it regardless of your immigration stand, no one can deny thta someone that has lived there whole life here feels as American as apple pie) you would really just say " oo, well sucks to be me, and go to a country you don;t remember at all, with relatives you probably having seen in forever??? PLease, i don't want any insults or fights with anyone, but I think expecting someone who lets say got here at 5, and then at 18 when they fully understood thier status, to just up and leave for godo to a strange land is a little bizzarre.I mean what if you hadn't been lucky enough to be born in the U.S.A... since that;'s all it was good luck...?

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

#20 May 16, 2010
xbia wrote:
I'm so suprised. So everyone in here if you had come as a toddler, and obviosuly you know nothing of what is going on around you,a decade or so later after you have considered yourself an American,( cause lets face it regardless of your immigration stand, no one can deny thta someone that has lived there whole life here feels as American as apple pie) you would really just say " oo, well sucks to be me, and go to a country you don;t remember at all, with relatives you probably having seen in forever??? PLease, i don't want any insults or fights with anyone, but I think expecting someone who lets say got here at 5, and then at 18 when they fully understood thier status, to just up and leave for godo to a strange land is a little bizzarre.I mean what if you hadn't been lucky enough to be born in the U.S.A... since that;'s all it was good luck...?
She doesn't consider herself 'American'...and her father returned to Mexico years ago.

http://www.11alive.com/rss/rss_story.aspx...
"I do understand that there are laws that need to be followed and if I have to go back to my country, to Mexico, then I will have to go back," she said.

MY country,MEXICO.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Georgia Kennewsaw State Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mexican woman could lose deportation protection... Oct 29 Quirky 6
News Cheerleaders to kneel in stadium tunnel during ... Oct '17 25or6to4 1
News The Un-Pretty History Of Georgia's Iconic Peach Jul '17 KIR SUCKA 7
News Mexican woman's deportation protection temporar... Jun '17 HOLLA ISABELLA 4
News Illegal Alien Who Works As Paralegal For 'Kuck ... (May '17) May '17 spytheweb 3
News KSU graduate awarded Ph.D. in field of genetics (Aug '16) Aug '16 Stephany McDowell 1
News Zombie 101: KSU instructor appears in - The Wal... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Go Blue Forever 1
More from around the web