Livernois

There are 17 comments on the Detroit News story from Sep 29, 2012, titled Livernois. In it, Detroit News reports that:

The Avenue of Fashion, a two-mile stretch of Livernois Avenue once known for its high-end clothing boutiques, shoe stores and hair salons, is poised to become a destination - again.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Detroit News.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#1 Sep 30, 2012
... ah ha ha ha ha ha. ROTFLMAO. ah ha ha ha ha ha.
Pest

Livonia, MI

#2 Sep 30, 2012
I remember when it was a destination for car buyers. The street was lined with new and used dealers. The used cars were parked so close together you had to turn sideways to get between them. Still, if you were serious about one in the middle of the lot, they would get it out for you in a jiffy for a test drive. Bring your title as you could sell a car instantly. It was "Sign and drive or sign and walk." It was the local market place of vehicles.

Then I remember driving down Livernois one summer night in 1967. I saw people walking from car to car on the hoods. They were carrying gas cans. They spread the gas and lighted it. Most of the dealers went out of business in a flash. Of course many moved their operations to the suburbs too.

Livernois will never be the same no matter how many store front churches, nail salons and wig shops they have. They speak about the displacement caused by the building of freeways in Detroit. That was paltry compared to the displacement caused by the social upheaval of one group.
Burgydean

Rincon, GA

#3 Sep 30, 2012
For most people what comes to mind in this area is heroin !
Pete

Livonia, MI

#4 Sep 30, 2012
Burgydean wrote:
For most people what comes to mind in this area is heroin !
Market factors of price and availability have put heroin in high demand. You look at a pill and unless it's fake, the strength and type are indicated by the color and numbers. With street drugs you never know how much it's been "stepped on." The feeling could be mellow to dangerous or non-existent. You don't need to go all the way in to Livernois. You can stand out in Redford and trip over to Brightmoor for anything. Even the police are reticent to patrol some streets though. The Penetrators and Scorpions further in don't seem to be troubled by the neighbors.
Mr Positive

San Diego, CA

#5 Sep 30, 2012
I can afford $25 a week for a Nash Metro.

Since: Nov 11

United States

#6 Sep 30, 2012
Pest wrote:
I remember when it was a destination for car buyers. The street was lined with new and used dealers. The used cars were parked so close together you had to turn sideways to get between them. Still, if you were serious about one in the middle of the lot, they would get it out for you in a jiffy for a test drive. Bring your title as you could sell a car instantly. It was "Sign and drive or sign and walk." It was the local market place of vehicles.
Then I remember driving down Livernois one summer night in 1967. I saw people walking from car to car on the hoods. They were carrying gas cans. They spread the gas and lighted it. Most of the dealers went out of business in a flash. Of course many moved their operations to the suburbs too.
Livernois will never be the same no matter how many store front churches, nail salons and wig shops they have. They speak about the displacement caused by the building of freeways in Detroit. That was paltry compared to the displacement caused by the social upheaval of one group.
So true. I really wish I could have seen Detroit 40 years ago. By the time I was born, it had already gone down hill. It is sad what racial prejudice, mutual intolerance, anger, and outsourcing of jobs does to a community.
Pete

Livonia, MI

#8 Oct 1, 2012
Ewald Circle and Livernois was the epicenter. King and Law auto sales come to mind.

There was a term called "Livernois lean" that came out of the area. No, not Livernois lien. It's where the driver slumps to their right and leans on the seat as they casually sport their 225.
sadd eyes

Honolulu, HI

#9 Oct 1, 2012
R u chat bout southwest detroit.
sadd eyes

Honolulu, HI

#11 Oct 1, 2012
I am glad I been gone now 16 years now.

Since: Sep 12

Alamogordo, NM

#12 Oct 2, 2012
Shyteak Niespodziewany wrote:
<quoted text>
yo yo yo uncle tommy,was yo daddy dere ins 67 burnin dems cars down in livernose?mah biotch dun sed dey be puttin up nail boutiques check cashin places popeyes an mc dees ans 7-11s dere.
yo teaky, mise daddy sho was dere burnin an reckin stuff in livernose.

Since: Oct 12

Detroit, MI.

#14 Oct 2, 2012
Kallark47 wrote:
<quoted text>
yo teaky, mise daddy sho was dere burnin an reckin stuff in livernose.
It looks like you have been shoving liver up your nose.

Since: Nov 11

United States

#15 Oct 2, 2012
Kallarik27 wrote:
<quoted text>
It looks like you have been shoving liver up your nose.
KingTrout do you have some kind of sick fascination with me?? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU??!! Your obsession is bordering possible illegality. You really searched that long and hard to find MY avatar pic?? You really disgust me you creep. Get a life. Grow up. You're too old for this crap. You have like five Topix screen names. Do you even have a life?? What is your obsession with me and other black people? Don't ever reply to me again you obsessive, perverted, delusional, selfish, maniacal, demoniac. KEEP MY NAME OFF THAT FORK TONGUE OF YOURS!!

Since: Oct 12

Detroit, MI.

#17 Oct 4, 2012
Kallark27 wrote:
<quoted text>
KingTrout do you have some kind of sick fascination with me?? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU??!! Your obsession is bordering possible illegality. You really searched that long and hard to find MY avatar pic?? You really disgust me you creep. Get a life. Grow up. You're too old for this crap. You have like five Topix screen names. Do you even have a life?? What is your obsession with me and other black people? Don't ever reply to me again you obsessive, perverted, delusional, selfish, maniacal, demoniac. KEEP MY NAME OFF THAT FORK TONGUE OF YOURS!!
Kallark, didn't mean to upset you with this ID and I am not that King fish person. I was just fooling around and wont use this ID any more.
Freud

San Jose, CA

#18 Oct 4, 2012
Kallarik27 wrote:
<quoted text>
Kallark, didn't mean to upset you with this ID and I am not that King fish person. I was just fooling around and wont use this ID any more.
Thanks for clarifying this as Kallark is extremely paranoid.

Since: Nov 11

United States

#19 Oct 4, 2012
Kallarik27 wrote:
<quoted text>
Kallark, didn't mean to upset you with this ID and I am not that King fish person. I was just fooling around and wont use this ID any more.
You're a liar and i don't believe you. Just keep my name off your fork tongue you perverted creep. Have a nice life KingOrangeRoughy.

Since: Nov 11

United States

#20 Oct 4, 2012
Freud wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for clarifying this as Kallark is extremely paranoid.
And who might you be Sigmund?
Freud

San Jose, CA

#21 Oct 4, 2012
"You can call me Ray, or you can call me J, or you can call me Johnny, or you can call me Sonny, or you can call me Junie, or you can call me Ray J, or you can call me RJ, or you can call me RJJ, or you can call me RJJ Jr., but you doesn't hasta call me Mr. Johnson!"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Detroit Mercy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Young people tackle re-imagining and redefining... (Aug '12) Mar '14 Christabel 3
News Detroit freeways cleared neighborhoods and a pa... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Jay 2
News Sex trade victim in Michigan gets chance at cit... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Economic Genius 12
News Big pension payouts threatened by Detroit crisis (Jul '13) Jul '13 bensleys view 1
News Wayne County Circuit Judge McCree faces fight f... (May '13) May '13 Pete 2
News The truth about snake oil? (Apr '13) Apr '13 kev 2
News Snyder: Michigan Needs More Immigrants (Mar '13) Mar '13 Dee Dee Dee 14
More from around the web