Teacher education rankings deemed imp...

Teacher education rankings deemed important, but controversial

There are 10 comments on the Middletown Journal story from Mar 7, 2011, titled Teacher education rankings deemed important, but controversial. In it, Middletown Journal reports that:

All sides agree that getting good teachers into the nation's classrooms is key to improving the struggling U.S. education system, but how that is achieved continues to raise controversy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Middletown Journal.

share the pain

Columbus, OH

#1 Mar 7, 2011
if the teacher does not give your child a A you want to fire them
Dan

Galloway, OH

#2 Mar 7, 2011
share the pain wrote:
if the teacher does not give your child a A you want to fire them
and if teachers are paid based on the grades their students get... they'll ALL get an A!

it's just the way it is
charlie sheen

Columbus, OH

#3 Mar 7, 2011
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
and if teachers are paid based on the grades their students get... they'll ALL get an A!
it's just the way it is
your right and the teacher will start given the children the answer to state test
DogDayAfternoon

Columbus, OH

#4 Mar 8, 2011
You presume that the teachers are going to be allowed to grade their student's papers. If somebody else grades the tests, teacher cheating won't be an issue.
Scott

Columbus, OH

#5 Mar 8, 2011
I have an idea to show teachers how important they are, we should cut their pay! jk
Dan

Galloway, OH

#6 Mar 8, 2011
teacher cheating?
somebody else grading their tests? what on earth are you talking about

1) I am saying that if you evaluate teachers based on what grades their students get they will make sure their students get good grades (rather than challange them or hold them back if they struggle)

2) If you want to bring up the "state test" (I assume you mean the prof tests) then the teachers will simply spend ALL their time "teaching to the test"... so kids will do fine on that... if learn NOTHING else (like what it really means!)
DogDayAfternoon

Columbus, OH

#7 Mar 8, 2011
Dan wrote:
teacher cheating?
somebody else grading their tests? what on earth are you talking about
1) I am saying that if you evaluate teachers based on what grades their students get they will make sure their students get good grades (rather than challange them or hold them back if they struggle)
2) If you want to bring up the "state test" (I assume you mean the prof tests) then the teachers will simply spend ALL their time "teaching to the test"... so kids will do fine on that... if learn NOTHING else (like what it really means!)
Which begs the questions - do they WANT them to LEARN anything?

We've let the unions have control of education for so long now, even Boobistan can churn out more educated kids than we have. Why? They offer more attention to education rather than labor issues.

Oh, I know - you're just doing what the gov tells you to do. Where do you think the gov gets its ideas? THE UNIONS.
Dan

Galloway, OH

#8 Mar 8, 2011
that's a silly question...
the vast majority of teachers work very hard and do a great job

and the "where do you think the gov gets it's ideas"... from the unions?

lol...
so you are saying the unions are a vast majority of people so they always win the general elections?
interesting
DogDayAfternoon

Columbus, OH

#9 Mar 8, 2011
Dan wrote:
that's a silly question...
the vast majority of teachers work very hard and do a great job
and the "where do you think the gov gets it's ideas"... from the unions?
lol...
so you are saying the unions are a vast majority of people so they always win the general elections?
interesting
Don't be obtuse, intentionally or otherwise.

What I'm saying is that when the union needs an excuse to shake down the public for more money, they have a study done that 'proves' something or other, send it through the legislature to make it law, and voila, a reason to shake down the taxpayers.

One example would be masters degrees. Time has shown us that the more education the teachers have, the less the kids learn. Another is all day kindergarten. Thousands more teachers and aides would need to be hired, thus creating yet more revenue for the union while further draining the taxpayers without any proven benefit for the kids.

Nobody is saying that the people who run the unions are stupid, only that the taxpayers refuse to accept whatever they say any longer as gospel...and fund it.

Continue to be obtuse, if you wish. It will make it easier sleeping under a bridge.
Dan

Galloway, OH

#10 Mar 9, 2011
DogDayAfternoon wrote:
<quoted text>
What I'm saying is that when the union needs an excuse to shake down the public for more money, they have a study done that 'proves' something or other, send it through the legislature to make it law, and voila, a reason to shake down the taxpayers.
One example would be masters degrees. Time has shown us that the more education the teachers have, the less the kids learn. Another is all day kindergarten. Thousands more teachers and aides would need to be hired, thus creating yet more revenue for the union while further draining the taxpayers without any proven benefit for the kids.
Nobody is saying that the people who run the unions are stupid, only that the taxpayers refuse to accept whatever they say any longer as gospel...and fund it.
Continue to be obtuse, if you wish. It will make it easier sleeping under a bridge.
It's fun to attack personnally I guess. Does it make you feel good about yourself?

Anyway - what you are saying doesn't change reality.

Rather the unions or some other "professional organization" the teachers will always be asked to help with the process.

They will ALWAYS come up with these types of things as evaluation for money.

Rather it's via a union contract or what is behind the "merit" for raises.

THAT is the irony.

If you have a union contract and your school needs to cut payroll you can simply ask for an across the board cut (like the state unions did).

If you don't then you have to do it by MERIT.

REMEMBER... BY LAW SB5 says the ONLY thing that can determine pay is MERIT.(talk about unintended results!) So a board can't lower pay based on NEED (district doesn't have money)... they would be VIOLATING THE LAW (thanks to senate bill 5!) because they are basing pay on something OTHER than merit (need/lack of money)

THEN you have to come up with what "merit" means. HMMMM wonder who boards will use to determine that... possibly some teachers group that will use the very same things you are now complaining about.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Dayton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Debunking the 'home-state advantage' and other ... Jul '16 Cat74 2
News Scholar pens book on issues stirred from Hazlet... Apr '16 liberal media is ... 7
News Fourth graders showed off entrepreneurship (May '15) May '15 The Duke of Hazard 1
News Actor, Ohio native Sheen to receive honorary de... (May '15) May '15 General Cumdumpster 1
News University of Dayton Chapel (Jun '14) Jun '14 Reading Masturbation 2
News Computer keyboard. (Jun '14) Jun '14 Net Nut 1
News Air Force boosts Ohio college's minorities program (May '14) May '14 Net Nut 1
More from around the web