History of sainthood in the Catholic ...

History of sainthood in the Catholic church

There are 88 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Mar 16, 2011, titled History of sainthood in the Catholic church. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Professor William Portier is the Mary Ann Spearin chair of Catholic Theology at the University of Dayton.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
fedupwiththemess

Ashburn, VA

#1 Mar 18, 2011
It should read History of molesters in the catholic church.
QUITTNER

Toronto, Canada

#2 Mar 18, 2011
12:49 pm, Friday, March 18, 2011:
RE: History of sainthood in the Catholic church
..... I think it is quite wrong, and even very unfair, to equate those now called "Saints" with the "molesters in the catholic church".
..... Very likely there are criminals and other wrongdoers who are members of your own church/belief system, but nobody should therefore also think, or even say, that therefore you too are one of those.
fedupwiththemess

Ashburn, VA

#3 Mar 18, 2011
No saints, just molesters
Pax et Bonum

Cleveland, OH

#4 Mar 21, 2011
fedupwiththemess wrote:
Don't you ever get bored posting the same drivel on every thread you show up at?
Pax et Bonum

Cleveland, OH

#5 Mar 21, 2011
fedupwiththemess wrote:
I know this won't happen but you really should read this article. It is very well written and presents Catholic teaching in a way you would understand.
Economist

New York, NY

#6 Mar 21, 2011
Pax et Bonum wrote:
<quoted text>
I know this won't happen but you really should read this article. It is very well written and presents Catholic teaching in a way you would understand.
It may be well written but it is all Balderdash and Piffle.

"MIRACLE", the word, is derived from a Latin word that meant ---something wonderful--.

Religions define a "MIRACLE" as a remarkable intervention by THEIR god, in the ordinary course and operation of Nature in the universe, by which the rules of physics are overruled, suspended, or modified.

This definition requires a lack of understanding of the laws of physics to be accepted as rational.

Miracles are by their definition impossible,the rules of physics are overruled, suspended, or modified without causing a collapse of our world.

Belief in miracles is a form of superstition, a belief held without any foundation in facts or reason.

The production of saints by the church is nothing but a type of public relations calculated to inspire members and gather new members from various communities.

Look how the RCC is making saints connected with India and African areas.

They would be hard pressed to find more new members than than departing members in Europe or America where people are better educated and understand scientific principles.

Saint making has become nothing but PR.
Pax et Bonum

Cleveland, OH

#7 Mar 25, 2011
Economist wrote:
<quoted text>
It may be well written but it is all Balderdash and Piffle.
"MIRACLE", the word, is derived from a Latin word that meant ---something wonderful--.
Religions define a "MIRACLE" as a remarkable intervention by THEIR god, in the ordinary course and operation of Nature in the universe, by which the rules of physics are overruled, suspended, or modified.
This definition requires a lack of understanding of the laws of physics to be accepted as rational.
Miracles are by their definition impossible,the rules of physics are overruled, suspended, or modified without causing a collapse of our world.
Belief in miracles is a form of superstition, a belief held without any foundation in facts or reason.
The production of saints by the church is nothing but a type of public relations calculated to inspire members and gather new members from various communities.
Look how the RCC is making saints connected with India and African areas.
They would be hard pressed to find more new members than than departing members in Europe or America where people are better educated and understand scientific principles.
Saint making has become nothing but PR.
Thank you for sharing.

Since: Jun 09

DeKalb, IL

#8 Mar 25, 2011
Pax et Bonum wrote:
<quoted text>
Sadly very few bother to read the articles or understand the teachings of the church. For those who "used" to be catholic, I have to wonder how catholic they were in the first place.
Pax et Bonum

Cleveland, OH

#9 Mar 25, 2011
Jos Soroka wrote:
<quoted text>Sadly very few bother to read the articles or understand the teachings of the church. For those who "used" to be catholic, I have to wonder how catholic they were in the first place.
All too sad but true. I'm not sure what the answer is. I know for myself it's been a long process of learning and experiencing Christ in the Catholic faith in ways that would make it very hard for me to leave the Catholic faith at this point in my life.
fedupwiththemess

Ashburn, VA

#10 Mar 29, 2011
Jos Soroka wrote:
<quoted text>Sadly very few bother to read the articles or understand the teachings of the church. For those who "used" to be catholic, I have to wonder how catholic they were in the first place.
Being catholic does not save anyone. Its JESUS who saves. Who cares about being catholic. Its only a title. A man made up religion with a bunch of man made up rules. Its more important to be a Christian than a catholic.
Pax et Bonum

Cleveland, OH

#11 Mar 29, 2011
fedupwiththemess wrote:
<quoted text>Being catholic does not save anyone. Its JESUS who saves. Who cares about being catholic. Its only a title. A man made up religion with a bunch of man made up rules. Its more important to be a Christian than a catholic.
Nothing new to share in this post.

Since: Jun 09

DeKalb, IL

#12 Mar 29, 2011
Nope. It's basically done.
fedupwiththemess

Ashburn, VA

#13 Apr 1, 2011
Jos Soroka wrote:
Nope. It's basically done.
So is your spread of catholic rhetoric.
Pax et Bonum

Cleveland, OH

#14 Apr 1, 2011
fedupwiththemess wrote:
<quoted text>So is your spread of catholic rhetoric.
Better something Catholic on Catholic topics than what you post over and over again.
The Duke of Hazard

Newtown, PA

#15 Apr 1, 2011
...as opposed to those of the Muslim faith? Which religion is more tolerant and safe?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/02/world/asia/...
The Duke of Hazard

Newtown, PA

#16 Apr 1, 2011
Here are some of our Afghanistan Moozlum friends:

http://www.uncoverage.net/2010/09/pbs-the-dan...
Voltaire

Dayton, OH

#17 Apr 4, 2011
fedupwiththemess wrote:
<quoted text>Being catholic does not save anyone. Its JESUS who saves. Who cares about being catholic. Its only a title. A man made up religion with a bunch of man made up rules. Its more important to be a Christian than a catholic.
I incorrectly assumed the Skopes monkey trial forced some bible fundamentalist to think a little bit more than usual.

I was obviously wrong.

Read something new for a change.....

http://www.rejectionofpascalswager.net/biblea...

And for pete's sake stop killing and maiming people in the middle east for Israel.

Oliver Cromwell was bad enough.
Anonymous

Kissimmee, FL

#18 Apr 22, 2011
If you call yourself a christian and your here attacking someones religion..Think twice about who you really are..

“I hate watermelon!”

Since: Dec 10

Stroudsburg, PA

#19 Apr 23, 2011
Jos Soroka wrote:
Hi Jos, I'm an ex-Catholic. I was very devout for many years.

Happy Easter to you.
Conservative

Dayton, OH

#20 Apr 23, 2011
Catholic, who doesn't attend any longer. It was the people not the church. I find it more enjoyable and closer in a setting that was created not built.

Peace and all good.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Dayton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dayton Police investigate string of car break-ins (Oct '16) Oct '16 Bloomp 1
News Debunking the 'home-state advantage' and other ... (Jul '16) Jul '16 Cat74 2
News Scholar pens book on issues stirred from Hazlet... (Apr '16) Apr '16 liberal media is ... 7
News Fourth graders showed off entrepreneurship (May '15) May '15 The Duke of Hazard 1
News Actor, Ohio native Sheen to receive honorary de... (May '15) May '15 General Cumdumpster 1
News University of Dayton Chapel (Jun '14) Jun '14 Reading Masturbation 2
News Computer keyboard. (Jun '14) Jun '14 Net Nut 1
More from around the web