Public paychecks scrutinized in Ohio ...

Public paychecks scrutinized in Ohio union fight

There are 27 comments on the Port Clinton News Herald story from Nov 2, 2011, titled Public paychecks scrutinized in Ohio union fight. In it, Port Clinton News Herald reports that:

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Wildly conflicting estimates make it difficult to determine how public and private pay compares in Ohio, and millions are flocking to new online salary tools to peek at the salaries of government-paid friends, neighbors and politicians.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Port Clinton News Herald.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
hey now

Columbus, OH

#1 Nov 2, 2011
when yes on issue two passes and sb5 stands you can expect massive demonstrations of public defecation in business lobbies, on city sidewalks, in crosswalks, in libraries, and in grocery stores.
Spooktackular

Marysville, OH

#2 Nov 2, 2011
I bet the union goons hate that taxpayers are finding out what they are being paid.
Conservative

Springfield, OH

#3 Nov 2, 2011
I have known this for some time. Here is a link where you can search Teacher's salaries, how many students in a class, years experience etc. either by name or by district.

You'll see "Search by district" there's a box directly to the left of the wording where you type the district name. Above, in the text you'll see "Search by employee name". The links aren't very clear.

http://ohiocasb.org/about/school-salary-datab...
Conservative

Springfield, OH

#4 Nov 2, 2011
Other Searches can be found here

Search School Districts by Employee Name.

Search School Districts by District.

Search state employees by Employee Name.

Search state employees by Department.

http://ohiocasb.org/about/data

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#5 Nov 2, 2011
hey now wrote:
when yes on issue two passes and sb5 stands you can expect massive demonstrations of public defecation in business lobbies, on city sidewalks, in crosswalks, in libraries, and in grocery stores.
It's a real stretch at this point to believe Issue 2 has a snowball's chance of passing, but the other shoe will drop in 2012 when budgets will burst without state funding and the taxpayers won't approve tax increases. Then there's only one alternative; layoffs.

The irony will be that they successfully fought against the law that would've saved their jobs and the only people who will have "won" anything are the union bosses.

Oh well.

“Public Unions=Public Enemies ”

Since: Aug 11

Medina, OH

#6 Nov 2, 2011
Odds are 75% that Issue 2 fails, the unions pulled the wool over enough people.

Odds are 75% that Issue 3 passes though, Obamacare is much more unpopular.

Odds are pretty good that most local tax requests will fail, and that SB5 will re-emerge piece by piece starting with the popular parts first.

The unions cannot win this one, we are not going to pay California-level taxes, even in blue Colorado a major tax hike recently failed.
Conservative

Springfield, OH

#8 Nov 2, 2011
And they wonder why Ohioans are leaving.

Some blame Kasich but that's not even remotely who is at fault.

Wait for the voting results and you'll see who is to blame.

A side note: Ohio owes the Feds around 2 billion dollars for the funds needed to expand unemployment beyond belief that the Feds mandated.

Yep, it's Kasich's fault.

Location hidden

#9 Nov 2, 2011
Pligger Nease wrote:
Next Wednesday, the group that put together the campaign to defeat SB5 begins work on a referendum to allow recall of the governor and state representatives and senators. When the cuts start happening, K-sick and his cronies will be recalled and replaced with people that are not on the Koch Brothers payroll and that will finally make the rich pay their fair share of taxes, which will put this state in the black again.
Good luck with that, as Ohioans start leaving the state in droves because there won't be a private company in the world that will sustain a business here.

You can't all work for the government.
Spooktackular

Marysville, OH

#10 Nov 2, 2011
Pligger Nease wrote:
Next Wednesday, the group that put together the campaign to defeat SB5 begins work on a referendum to allow recall of the governor and state representatives and senators. When the cuts start happening, K-sick and his cronies will be recalled and replaced with people that are not on the Koch Brothers payroll and that will finally make the rich pay their fair share of taxes, which will put this state in the black again.
This is not commiefornication aka Kalifornia, we don't have recall elections for state level offices.

I suggest that since you hate the tax payers so much you go hang yourself, with union made rope of course

“Public Unions=Public Enemies ”

Since: Aug 11

Medina, OH

#11 Nov 2, 2011
Spooktackular wrote:
<quoted text>
This is not commiefornication aka Kalifornia, we don't have recall elections for state level offices.
I suggest that since you hate the tax payers so much you go hang yourself, with union made rope of course
All it takes to allow recall is a constitutional amendment in 2012. That means about 400,000 signatures minimum, and tons of voter anger at the Republicans. There is a chance if Redfern is feeling lucky that they might try it.
The Duke of Hazard

Portsmouth, OH

#12 Nov 2, 2011
Issue 2 does not make public servants pay a portion of their generous pensions and health care benefits, because the public pays it and them all of it. They take taxes. They do not make taxes.

Location hidden

#13 Nov 3, 2011
Conservative wrote:
Other Searches can be found here
Search School Districts by Employee Name.
Search School Districts by District.
Search state employees by Employee Name.
Search state employees by Department.
http://ohiocasb.org/about/data
I went and looked over my school district. If these numbers are accurate, I need to become a teacher.

Location hidden

#14 Nov 3, 2011
We the People 1787 wrote:
Odds are 75% that Issue 2 fails, the unions pulled the wool over enough people.
Odds are 75% that Issue 3 passes though, Obamacare is much more unpopular.
Odds are pretty good that most local tax requests will fail, and that SB5 WILL RE-EMERGE PIECE BY PEICE STARTING WITH THE POPULAR PARTS FIRST.
The unions cannot win this one, we are not going to pay California-level taxes, even in blue Colorado a major tax hike recently failed.
I hesitate to respond because I don't want you to change that opinion, but that's what some of us who are against the bill wanted in the first place. I can admit that not all of SB5 is bad. Can anyone admit that not all of it is good?

Location hidden

#15 Nov 3, 2011
Hoof Arted wrote:
<quoted text>
I hesitate to respond because I don't want you to change that opinion, but that's what some of us who are against the bill wanted in the first place. I can admit that not all of SB5 is bad. Can anyone admit that not all of it is good?
Please tell us what you think the top 3 or 4 things are that are so bad.
Conservative

Springfield, OH

#16 Nov 3, 2011
dpx55 wrote:
<quoted text>
I went and looked over my school district. If these numbers are accurate, I need to become a teacher.
Thanks for taking the time to become informed. As far as accurate goes I checked people I personally knew, and it's several, and the numbers are dead on within a few bucks according to what was told to me.

If more people would take the time to become informed things would change dramatically.

Facts don't lie. It's hard for anyone to argue they're under paid when you know what they make. We have a right to know, we're the employers.
Spooktackular

Cincinnati, OH

#17 Nov 3, 2011
Hoof Arted wrote:
<quoted text>
I will say it left out some much needed items,

Turn county Sheriff into an administrative position open to all qualified voters in a county.... This will eliminate the dumb shits like Dave Phalen being re elected because no one else qualifies.

Turn County Engineers into an admin office, again so that an old guy can't stay til hell freezes over.

Make failing to promptly produce public records an automatic termination , even for elected officials.

Make schools a pay as you go system, where only parents of students pay not everyone in a district even though they have no kids

Eliminate village level governments, they may not all be like "NEW ROME" but has anyone missed "NEW ROME" since it was disbanded?

Make all income taxes for cities be upon residents only. No more paying taxes to a city or if the villages are not eliminated , to a village just because you work there.

Make it legal to shoot any homosexual teacher who has any , even remotely, sexual contact with a student.

Location hidden

#18 Nov 3, 2011
Conservative wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for taking the time to become informed. As far as accurate goes I checked people I personally knew, and it's several, and the numbers are dead on within a few bucks according to what was told to me.
If more people would take the time to become informed things would change dramatically.
Facts don't lie. It's hard for anyone to argue they're under paid when you know what they make. We have a right to know, we're the employers.
Honestly, with all the complaining I hear about teachers being underpaid, I expected to see salaries that were about 60% of what I saw, especially considering that teachers work about 70% of the hours that I do (and yes, I know you work at home in the evenings too. So do I) and it's maddening. Then add on the pensions and employer-paid benefits and these numbers are even worse.

We're being sold a bill of goods by the public sector unions, and it'll be no different on Tuesday. They've successfully bullied and frightened enough people into repeal that I fully expect it to be defeated.

After Tuesday, we're looking at one of two scenarios: big public sector layoffs or big tax increases. It'll be interesting to see which path we take. If it's the latter, I'll start looking to move and take my company with me. I have no appetite for higher taxes; especially after seeing these numbers.

The worst part is that Ohio will now officially be known as "a union-owned" state like Michigan and West Virginia. No major employer in their right mind will ever open up here again.
Conservative

Springfield, OH

#19 Nov 3, 2011
dpx55 wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly, with all the complaining I hear about teachers being underpaid, I expected to see salaries that were about 60% of what I saw, especially considering that teachers work about 70% of the hours that I do (and yes, I know you work at home in the evenings too. So do I) and it's maddening. Then add on the pensions and employer-paid benefits and these numbers are even worse.
We're being sold a bill of goods by the public sector unions, and it'll be no different on Tuesday. They've successfully bullied and frightened enough people into repeal that I fully expect it to be defeated.
After Tuesday, we're looking at one of two scenarios: big public sector layoffs or big tax increases. It'll be interesting to see which path we take. If it's the latter, I'll start looking to move and take my company with me. I have no appetite for higher taxes; especially after seeing these numbers.
The worst part is that Ohio will now officially be known as "a union-owned" state like Michigan and West Virginia. No major employer in their right mind will ever open up here again.
The average class size is less than 20.

70% of ALL firefighters are volunteer. I don't hear about county and township homes burning to the ground in unusual numbers.

County and Townships have much fewer per capita police protection (sheriff) but then again there is a common respect for one another and their property.

Unless they raise State taxes which I think is unlikely the outcome of issue 2 will not effect me/

I live in the county where people volunteer to help their community and people look out for the neighborhood. Suspicious activity is reported.
Conservative

Springfield, OH

#20 Nov 3, 2011
As a side note, about 2 months ago I was sitting in the kitchen and when I looked over at the door there stood a Deputy.

He was stopped by A KID that saw shadows walking around the inside of my home and there were no lights on. It was me, I just returned home and was watching the news in the kitchen and just hadn't turned on any lights yet.

The Deputy knew me and told me the story. I told him to thank the kid for me. Now there is someone who should have rewarded for his/her civic duty.

Location hidden

#21 Nov 4, 2011
dpx55 wrote:
<quoted text>
Please tell us what you think the top 3 or 4 things are that are so bad.
Off the top of my head, public employee's are currently allowed to negotiate pay. SB5 removes that ability. Merit pay is subjective in how you define it and how it is implemented. Who goes to bat for me? I've been under the merit system in the past and it doesn't work as advertised.

There is no appeal process in cases of unfair treatment, meaning I not only don't have anyone speaking for me I'm not even allowed to argue my case. I would not be allowed to contact government officials during any "bargaining process." In past jobs I could talk to someone in HR or the boss himself. My present supervisor can't approve a raise, and neither can his. Who would I talk to?

Fire and police canít negotiate staffing. Those entities aren't demanding unrealistic, overinflated numbers, but they do want the ability to do their job safely. Politicians who don't understand the job will decide how many people are needed to do it.

Contrary to popular belief we, as a group, have given back to the state and we're already doing more with less, just like everyone else.

SB5 is needed legislation that went too far. I realize and accept that I can take the job or leave it. No problems there. That isn't even the issue. The state can't fill the openings they have at work now, even with the current salary and benefits. Knocking the salary down and removing benefits won't help. SOMEBODY has to do it. The union is far from perfect, but it's the only option I'm allowed. If the union is out of line, reign them in or give me a different option. Don't get rid of my only contact with the boss.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Dayton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fourth graders showed off entrepreneurship May '15 The Duke of Hazard 1
News Actor, Ohio native Sheen to receive honorary de... May '15 General Cumdumpster 1
News University of Dayton Chapel (Jun '14) Jun '14 Reading Masturbation 2
News Computer keyboard. (Jun '14) Jun '14 Net Nut 1
News Air Force boosts Ohio college's minorities program (May '14) May '14 Net Nut 1
News Multicultural Dayton: Educator Adil Baguirov (Apr '14) Apr '14 Literature Lover 1
News Kettering Judge Robert Moore died Saturday, Jan... (Feb '14) Apr '14 ToReal39 6
More from around the web