Young immigrants may find college elu...

Young immigrants may find college elusive

There are 28 comments on the The Kansas City Star story from Aug 17, 2012, titled Young immigrants may find college elusive. In it, The Kansas City Star reports that:

Araceli Cortes had made up her mind: After being brought to the U.S. as a child, graduating from high school and attending some college in California, she was going to return to Mexico to pursue her dream of becoming a doctor.She quit her job, bought an airline ticket and reserved a seat to take a medical school entrance exam.Then, a week before ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Kansas City Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#1 Aug 17, 2012
"She quit her job, bought an airline ticket and reserved a seat to take a medical school entrance exam."
So, how did she plan to board the plane without a valid ID? This is but one expample of the kind of people to whom BO is giving a free pass. People who have lied to us about who they really are. We have enough liars in Congress and in our prisons, do we really need to add more to the already unsavory mix? This latest action by BO will put Americans in competition with these "kids",(I use
the term loosely), for a scanty amount of jobs. Exactly how was that looking out for the best interests of Americans?

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#2 Aug 17, 2012
more left wing bullsht from the kansas city star...

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#3 Aug 17, 2012
A tragic inconvenience for this poor woman. It would only be right if the taxpayers would refund the price of the ticket and pay for her school. This should have been the lead story on NBC/CBS nightly news.
ima
#4 Aug 17, 2012
teddyr4me wrote:
"She quit her job, bought an airline ticket and reserved a seat to take a medical school entrance exam."
So, how did she plan to board the plane without a valid ID? This is but one expample of the kind of people to whom BO is giving a free pass. People who have lied to us about who they really are. We have enough liars in Congress and in our prisons, do we really need to add more to the already unsavory mix? This latest action by BO will put Americans in competition with these "kids",(I use
the term loosely), for a scanty amount of jobs. Exactly how was that looking out for the best interests of Americans?
Teddy, can you think of just one thing since the dictator's 4 yr term.....that he has done IN THE BEST INTEREST OF OUR NATION? I CANNOT. Everything has been against the US CITIZENS and all for the illegal invasion.
Love Jan

De Soto, KS

#5 Aug 17, 2012
The Kansas City Star is a left-leaning rag!
Free is free
#6 Aug 17, 2012
"It's not giving me much," Cortes, 20, said. "It's just a two-year permit."
That's because we're not here to think of you first. You're an illegal alien, taking up a seat in college that rightfully belongs to a citizen or a legitimate immigrant.

You should have kept your ticket - and you should have gone.

Location hidden

#7 Aug 17, 2012
Free is free wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because we're not here to think of you first. You're an illegal alien, taking up a seat in college that rightfully belongs to a citizen or a legitimate immigrant.
See, never any appreciation, just give me more...It's pretty obvious that we gave them far more than we should have.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#8 Aug 17, 2012
A lot of American citizens find college elusive for financial reasons. Non-citizens shouldn't be here attending school unless they've legally been admitted via a "student" visa, then they attend and go home when finished.
Captain
#9 Aug 17, 2012
What scares me is apparently there are 65,000 graduating from high school each year. One more example of how bad this situation is and shows the depth of our governments incompetence for the past 20 years. Every politician is culpable that has served in Congress, be it national or state level. They all looked the other way for the past twenty plus years while the nation was invaded.
Free is free
#11 Aug 17, 2012
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>See, never any appreciation, just give me more...It's pretty obvious that we gave them far more than we should have.
That's the old "Give an inch" adage. It turns out to be soo true. The problem is, we should *never* yield anything to people breaking the law. To do so is to ask for tons more of the same.

Location hidden

#12 Aug 17, 2012
Free is free wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the old "Give an inch" adage. It turns out to be soo true. The problem is, we should *never* yield anything to people breaking the law. To do so is to ask for tons more of the same.
There is no way the Feds would ever let us deny these kids a taxpayer funded education. Do you realize how much of our money has gone to just this one area? And seeing as their graduation rates are still not where they should be, it was money that was in so many ways, wasted. I don't think we will ever see this issue remedied in our lifetime. I really feel badly for my soon-to-be born grandchild. We all have failed our children by not demanding our government keep its promises after the '86 shamnesty.
Free is free
#13 Aug 17, 2012
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>There is no way the Feds would ever let us deny these kids a taxpayer funded education. Do you realize how much of our money has gone to just this one area? And seeing as their graduation rates are still not where they should be, it was money that was in so many ways, wasted. I don't think we will ever see this issue remedied in our lifetime. I really feel badly for my soon-to-be born grandchild. We all have failed our children by not demanding our government keep its promises after the '86 shamnesty.
I agree. I'm really glad I didn't have kids, because sorry 'leadership' and the "if you steal it and don't get caught, it's yours" mentality are ruining this country. I really shouldn't care, but it's sad to see the country I served rot like this.

As the old Bread song goes: "This isn't what the Governmeant"
Crack Head

Maple Heights, OH

#14 Aug 17, 2012
So, what in the OWEbama ONE'S plan, stops her from GOING BACK TO MEXICO AND GOING TO SCHOOL, like she already planned????
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

#15 Aug 17, 2012
So she was going back to Mexico to become a doctor but now she is going to stay in the U.S. and try to take the opportunity to attend medical school in the U.S. away from a citizen.
What a wonderful story, unless of course you are the American who has their dream of going to medical school destroyed. That person will not have the opportunity to sneak into Mexico and apply to take the dream away from a Mexican citizen.
Joe shmoe

Dallas, TX

#16 Aug 17, 2012
Free is free wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you serious? Did she actually say, its not giving her much because its only two years? Thats giving her MORE than enough. Thats giving her two years to BEGIN the process of legalization. WTF...oh, how disappointed she must be because its only two years and NOT free citizenship! ARREST and DEPORT at once!
Who Knows

Royal Oak, MI

#17 Aug 17, 2012
Captain wrote:
What scares me is apparently there are 65,000 graduating from high school each year. One more example of how bad this situation is and shows the depth of our governments incompetence for the past 20 years. Every politician is culpable that has served in Congress, be it national or state level. They all looked the other way for the past twenty plus years while the nation was invaded.
That doesn't take into account the other 65,000 that never graduate thats a scarier thought.
magadala

Shaw Island, WA

#19 Aug 17, 2012
To: Little Arecelia (or whatever!)

Message: TF BAD!!! You bought the ticket, you takes the ride!
magadala

Shaw Island, WA

#20 Aug 17, 2012
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>See, never any appreciation, just give me more...It's pretty obvious that we gave them far more than we should have.
Yes, far, far more than they should have EVER received. Now they take it for granted that the US will take care of their every whim. They seriously feel it is our obligation to support them for as long as possible. The obam's current policy covers people to the age of 30!!!!What kind of crap is that? And they always ask for more, more, while their parents, the prepertraitors of it all, sit by quietly in the shadows, never speaking English, and benefit from it all!!! Yes, and NEVER an ounce of appreciation,"... more, you racist bigot gimme, and be quick about it. Ooops! There you go again, I am offended..." LOL

“The End Of America Coming Soon”

Since: Dec 07

Welfare State

#21 Aug 17, 2012
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
So she was going back to Mexico to become a doctor but now she is going to stay in the U.S. and try to take the opportunity to attend medical school in the U.S. away from a citizen.
What a wonderful story, unless of course you are the American who has their dream of going to medical school destroyed. That person will not have the opportunity to sneak into Mexico and apply to take the dream away from a Mexican citizen.
Well, she knows if she stays here she'll get many perks she'd never get in her $hithole of a country. She'd rather stay here and collect more freebies off the backs of the U.S taxpayers. That's what she's use to...that's how they roll. She's already obtained a free education here and I'm quite sure we've fed her and given her free medical care all these years. Now she's complaining the policy is for only two years, there's no promise of citizenship and the cost will be expensive. You'd think she'd be grateful her greedy a$$ was allowed to stay in this country in violation of our laws all these years. I've yet to hear a simple "thank you" for all we've done for them here. It's always about wanting more. You just can't do enough for these freeloaders!

“The End Of America Coming Soon”

Since: Dec 07

Welfare State

#22 Aug 17, 2012
magadala wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, far, far more than they should have EVER received. Now they take it for granted that the US will take care of their every whim. They seriously feel it is our obligation to support them for as long as possible. The obam's current policy covers people to the age of 30!!!!What kind of crap is that? And they always ask for more, more, while their parents, the prepertraitors of it all, sit by quietly in the shadows, never speaking English, and benefit from it all!!! Yes, and NEVER an ounce of appreciation,"... more, you racist bigot gimme, and be quick about it. Ooops! There you go again, I am offended..." LOL
It's like telling the children of bank robbers they can keep the money their parents took. We'll be hearing next that the parents won't be deported because, it will create a hardship on their illegal kids attending college. Then the real lawbreakers will be rewarded in the end. That's what this crap is leading to.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Divided America: Diverse millennials are no vot... Mon Hostis Publicus 5
News Doctors at Catholic hospitals may be unable to ... Aug 17 cpeter1313 1
News Universities boost stipends ahead of ruling on ... Aug 9 Synque 6
News Obama's library a tough choice between 2 histor... Aug 9 Synque 23
News GenForward Poll: Most young whites think Clinto... Aug 5 Dee Dee Dee 1
News Obama's library a tough choice between 2 histor... Aug 3 bozo 1
News Obamas choose New York architects to design Chi... Aug 1 Go Blue Forever 5
More from around the web