Diabetes Hits Especially Hard In Poor...

Diabetes Hits Especially Hard In Poor Black Communities

There are 5 comments on the CBS Local story from Mar 11, 2013, titled Diabetes Hits Especially Hard In Poor Black Communities. In it, CBS Local reports that:

Nearly one in five African-Americans ages 20 and older have diabetes, and in Chicago the numbers are even higher on the South and West sides.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS Local.

Hotlanta

Atlanta, GA

#3 Mar 11, 2013
Blacks under poverty , usually get general checkups. Most can, but many don't because in many Black communities, Blacks don't trust doctors. Less than fifty years ago, the Tuskegee Experiment was in full force, and people died because the drugs that could have helped them, was denied to them. They were used as guinea pigs without their knowledge.

Diabetes affect a large percentage of Blacks due to their not knowing just how dangerous it really is. It can cause blindness, Hypertension,amputation, and strokes,and kidney failure, not to mention heart attacks! In many Black neighborhoods, there's are dialysis clinics scattered throughout those neighborhoods.

I hear ads on the radio and TV, encouraging people to get checkups, all for naught.Other than forcing everyone to get a complete checkup, I'm afraid that the trend will continue.
Darkness Falls

United States

#4 Mar 11, 2013
But... but... I thought those melanin enriched black gods were suppose to be physically incapable of contracting the same afflictions of mere Earthbound mortals. All this time they've been talking bullsh*t?
Hotlanta

Atlanta, GA

#6 Mar 11, 2013
Don't forget USING TOO DAMNED MUCH SALT!

“Obsidian Princess”

Since: Sep 09

louisiana

#8 Mar 11, 2013
diabetes is simply a blood circulation issue! get your azz out there and WALK for an hour everyday!

Since: Jun 08

Tulsa OK. & Lugano Switzerland

#9 Mar 11, 2013
CDC: West Virginia Has Highest Diabetes Rate; Obesity Blamed
http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20081030/diabe...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Laurence L Smith Releases Updated Version of 'T... 1 hr Joyce Wilhelm 52
News Sleep Apnea Treatment May Help Lower Diabetes R... Aug 5 bratbroxto2 4
News Quiet Fight to Free American in China Jail (Nov '09) Jul '15 Poor farts 56
News How common is infidelity, anyway? (Jun '11) Jul '15 Anonymous 4
News JonBenet Ramsey Book Reveals Analysis of Murder Jun '15 jameson245 17
News Don't Forget, Michelle Got Into Princeton Becau... Jun '15 Miss Id 1
News 56 shot - 12 fatally - over Memorial Day weekend Jun '15 reality is a crutch 8
More from around the web