Rabbi Knocks Atheist's Misuse Of Evol...

Rabbi Knocks Atheist's Misuse Of Evolutionary Theory

There are 4 comments on the Global Catholic Network EWTN story from Apr 27, 2012, titled Rabbi Knocks Atheist's Misuse Of Evolutionary Theory. In it, Global Catholic Network EWTN reports that:

CHICAGO, ILL., April 26 .- An Orthodox rabbi criticized atheism masked as science, citing a prominent biologist who said scientists should undermine religion to advance popular acceptance of evolutionary theory.

Rabbi Moshe Averick, a columnist for the Jewish magazine The Algemeiner Journal, chided a recent article by University of Chicago professor Dr. Jerry Coyne which depicted religion as an opponent of evolutionary theory and as something associated with social dysfunction.

Rabbi Averick countered that much of this 'resistance to evolution' is against an atheistic version of evolutionary theory. Almost 40 percent of Americans accept a theistic form of evolution, a position also criticized by Coyne.

Rabbi Averick ultimately suggested that the 'most important realms of human thought' are areas in which science has 'little or nothing to say.'

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Global Catholic Network EWTN.

Since: Sep 10

Earth

#1 Apr 28, 2012
The rabid rabbi needs to shut up. Atheists don't need to "undermine" religion deliberately, education does that on its own.

And given that his cult is built on a fiction, why should anyone listen to him? The jews were NEVER in Egypt, "exodus" didn't happen, the "ten commandments" were a ripoff of the Code of Hammurabi, the "12 kingdoms" were 12 villages, and the history of judaism only goes back 2500 years, not 3500 as their fiction claims.

Since: Dec 10

Fogelsville, PA

#2 May 1, 2012
From the article..."Rabbi Averick ultimately suggested that the 'most important realms of human thought' are areas in which science has 'little or nothing to say.'"

Yup, that sums up the non-thinking of the godbots quite nicely.

“It's just a box of rain...”

Since: May 07

Knoxville, TN

#3 May 1, 2012
How does one decide what the "most important realms of human though" are without a narcissistic leap away from logic? Each person is going to believe in the importance of the "realm of thought" that he spends the most time pursuing. I spend most of my time thinking about music and poetry, and they are as important to me as science or philosophy. to say that the '"most important realms of human thought' are areas in which science has 'little or nothing to say" reflects an arrogance that surprises even me.
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#4 May 1, 2012

Dr Coyne seems like a nice, responsible scientist.

Prof Dawkins highlighted a case (by way of example) in the UK where a Muslim science teacher in Secondary (i.e. high) school and an entirel class of 16 year-olds rejected evolution and embraced Creationism. The danger of religious bias and dogma seems plain enough and it is natural to point to it when it occurs.

The Christian Church in England sometimes seems to have had fewer issues with evolution than some modern US religionists.'Christian scientists', ID and Creationism seem to be a reaction by religionists in the USA who find evolutionary explanations of species development threatening.

Religion = superstition

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Chicago Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dusty Groove Will Revive A Chicago Soul DJ Trad... Jun 8 bozo 1
News When to give up: Treatment or comfort for late-... Jun 7 betty 2
News JonBenet Ramsey Book Reveals Analysis of Murder (Jun '15) Jun 6 Just Wondering 37
News When World War II was fought off the coast of C... May '16 Go Blue Forever 1
News Donald Trump 'is a man-baby' according to ex-Da... May '16 trump ziotard univ 4
News Young black activists tally successes, and othe... May '16 bozo 1
News Jon Stewart talks 2016 presidential race at Chi... May '16 Go Blue Forever 1
More from around the web